PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur II

King_Ghidra
30-09-2003, 12:24:38
Got this yesterday (XBOX version). Haven't played much yet becase Monday is a big night for soap operas, and i don't need a real life beat em up with the missus.

First impressions though:
graphics are gorgeous
AI is nice, quite tough
weapons master mode is good fun
lots of extras
good new characters (Raphael the fencer and Spawn are very cool)

basically its soul calibur but with slightly better graphics, and that isn't a criticism - far from it. The soul series has always been made with a lot of love and that shines through again.

Anyway i'll do a proper review soon.

maroule
30-09-2003, 12:34:53
I went 2 weeks ago to a cyberconvention of sorts, about 200 players competitng to represent France in the next world cyber orgy in Taiwan

one of the game played was Soul Calibur 2
looked very good on a giant screen, and played by two experts (I saw the final) - very quick, technical and brutal

still, I've never been too interested by this genre. I have DOA3 (quite comparable IMO) but played one hour max with it before shelving it. I can't be bothered learning the combos, the views look too restrictive, and as a catharsis it doesn't work for me.

fp
30-09-2003, 12:53:20
My brother's got this game and I've played it quite a lot. It really kicks ass. Weapon Master mode is that rarest of creatures - a single-player mode in a fighting game that is almost as much fun as playing multi-player.

Agree on the good graphics and AI. Having several different weapons for each character is great too - it really adds variety.

fp
30-09-2003, 12:54:28
(note: When you complete the 40-odd missions of Weapon Master the first time you can do them all again the a few variations to make them harder. It's rock hard.)

Eklektikos
30-09-2003, 14:44:39
All fine and well, but I hear horrible rumours that Kilik no longer fights like Monkey (of demented 70s buddhist TV epic fame). That's gotta at least halve the entertainment value of the game... :(

fp
30-09-2003, 14:52:27
Kilik is probably my favourite, but then again I never played the first Soul Calibur game nor have I ever seen Monkey.

Eklektikos
30-09-2003, 15:00:18
Should be an episode on late on friday night. Worth checking out if you like fairly surreal, retro TV :D

King_Ghidra
30-09-2003, 16:02:12
At the risk of threadjacking my own thread, i've read the Chinese original, 'Monkey' by Wu'Cheng'En which it is based on. It's brilliant.

Shining1
14-10-2003, 11:01:21
Best thing I've gotten for the Gamecube by a lot:).

BigGameHunter
14-10-2003, 18:15:53
Am I the only one with a PS2 around here?

Darkstar
14-10-2003, 19:02:14
The only one with a WORKING PS2, it seems.

BigGameHunter
14-10-2003, 20:26:11
Hrumph...well...I'm eyeing Madden NFL 2004, but I swear, I can't even begin to work out the games with all the multi-button combos.
I tried War of the Monsters after I bought it and felt like a retard--my monster may as well have been standing still compared to the ass kicking it got from a romp 'em stomp 'em King Kong wannabee that kicked my shit seven ways to Sunday.

The only swashbucklers I've liked are Baldur's Gate (II?) and Onimisha (a very pretty game and not to Animeish).

MDA
14-10-2003, 21:14:54
All you need for madden is to know the "pump up the crowd" buttons for offense and defense. The rest is just eye candy.

Darkstar
14-10-2003, 21:31:39
BGH, don't sweat it. Most fighting games takes tons of time to get down all the combos... or even most of them. But the secret to them is... you can generally win them with just 2 simple combo moves. The AIs don't tend to be very good, just fast. And the truth is that you'll work out a few combos in most fighting games just trying to go "Punch! Kick! Block! You bastard!"

fp
14-10-2003, 21:39:17
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Am I the only one with a PS2 around here?

I have a PS2. You can get Soul Calibur for that as well, but I've only played the XBox version.

K_G also has a PS2 and Funko's is broken. I think we only use ours for playing soccer games, though.

fp
14-10-2003, 21:39:47
Oh, and for playing GTA3 and Vice City of course.

MDA
14-10-2003, 21:42:50
Originally posted by Darkstar
BGH, don't sweat it. Most fighting games takes tons of time to get down all the combos... or even most of them. But the secret to them is... you can generally win them with just 2 simple combo moves. The AIs don't tend to be very good, just fast. And the truth is that you'll work out a few combos in most fighting games just trying to go "Punch! Kick! Block! You bastard!"

There was a fun fight game when PS2 first came out - and you could play this winged monster guy, and I stumbled on a fire breath attack that was just hilarious. (was it Tekken?)

fp
14-10-2003, 21:52:03
It was Tekken3.

JM^3
15-10-2003, 03:52:04
I bought SC2 shortly after it came out

it is by far the most played of my games (my freinds have 100 game marathon sessions), and is really pretty good (I actually don't play it near as much)

oh, and I have it for PS2

it is harder, and deeper, than Doa2 hardcore

weapon master is doable, but not as fun as playing with friends

oh, and MAdden 2004 is really good, and not hard at all

Jon Miller

JM^3
15-10-2003, 03:54:12
we opened up pretty much everything

but now do not play in any of the extramodes (except for one guy who has discovered that his weapon in extra makes him better compared to others in extra (extra is not ballanced the same way)).

Jon Miller

fp
15-10-2003, 08:21:02
Originally posted by JM^3
but now do not play in any of the extramodes

???

You can play Versus games in either Extra or Normal modes. The normal one doesn't let you use the unlocked weapons. It's the top option on the bloody menu screen!