PDA

View Full Version : Short Story Thread Starting Line Submissions

Darkstar
25-09-2003, 19:47:16
Here's a thread to fill up with starting line submissions for our Short Story Contest Threads.

Submit sentences you'd like to see used as the "seed" for the Short Story Contest Threads.

Darkstar
25-09-2003, 19:52:17
"Define bad."

She was trouble, with a capital T.

"He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, is he?"

"Look at the size of those melons!"

"What's all this, then?"

"Keep off the grass."

"Don't eat the daisies."

The mighty Mississippi just rolled on.

Venom
25-09-2003, 20:11:22
My balls itch.

DaShi
26-09-2003, 00:18:20
"This is another fine mess you've gotten me into."

Qweeg
26-09-2003, 13:11:46
"Well" he said, "that's never happened before..."

King_Ghidra
29-09-2003, 08:09:12
Ok because DS was so good as to start this thread i should start a new contest and i think i'll use one of his lines too.

Darkstar
30-09-2003, 20:22:29
You seemed to have trouble picking a new line. Figured we'd just make a new thread for seed lines.

King_Ghidra
01-10-2003, 08:02:54
'We'? Who's we? You and the voices in your head?

Of course, i could have just made one up but the idea of this is participation, not some private contest which is my responsibility.

At any rate, i meant to start the threads and have forgotten to do it, something i shall rectify immedately.

Funkodrom
05-11-2003, 10:36:38
Suggest new starting lines please!

I'll start a new thread tomorrow.

Funkodrom
05-11-2003, 17:21:57
I like

"this is another fine mess you've gotten me into" and "my balls itch" of the ones already posted.

protein
05-11-2003, 20:05:42
"Are you deaf? I said put it down."...

The warm feeling had left by now...

His brow furrowed and created folds of slimy skin that obscured his eye...

"You can", she whispered, "but first...

zmama
05-11-2003, 20:48:20
"Too high"

Angelhorns
05-11-2003, 23:30:11
How about,

'Move over gals, there's a new bitch in town- and she's gonna blow you sky high!'

AH x

jsorense
06-11-2003, 00:15:45
Welcome Angelhorns.
Is that autobiographical?:cute:

Angelhorns
06-11-2003, 00:24:32
hello.
No, I've just been thinking about film noir a lot lol

jsorense
06-11-2003, 00:35:23
"The Big Sleep" nearly perfect.:coolgrin:

Immortal Wombat
06-11-2003, 00:39:36
AH :hmm:

Funkodrom
06-11-2003, 10:16:36
Anyone want to vote for any of these?

maroule
06-11-2003, 10:26:11
Originally posted by Angelhorns
Move over gals, there's a new bitch in town- and she's gonna blow you sky high!

hello too :D

Funkodrom
06-11-2003, 12:06:01
So K_G was right about everyone's lack of interest? (except in our new poster. ;) )

protein
06-11-2003, 12:33:29
I'll submit some more.

It was growing

He put down the book and gazed through the window. What did it all mean?

It was a cliche but that had never stopped him

Funkodrom
06-11-2003, 12:49:25
I really like "It was growing"

King_Ghidra
06-11-2003, 13:01:11
cue phallic stories

i'm easy, i guarantee i can think of something interesting to write with any of those lines

Funkodrom
06-11-2003, 13:05:15
Yeah true, but after the initial innuendoes it's a very flexible start line.

King_Ghidra
06-11-2003, 13:12:50
Ok pick that line, i'm going to start now so i don't want to find out you changed your mind.

Funkodrom
06-11-2003, 13:17:35
Done. :)

Angelhorns
06-11-2003, 19:34:15
It was growing?
Sounds foetal rather than phallic to me.

King_Ghidra@home
06-11-2003, 19:45:14
that's a very Plathesque attitude

the cock jokes are easier :D

Funkodrom
07-11-2003, 15:54:59
It's hard to make a snappy wisecrack about wombs.

Angelhorns
07-11-2003, 19:41:59
there's always womb for a wisecrack Funkodrom :-)

Funkodrom
08-11-2003, 01:03:55
Ah... someone to challenge my shit pun crown. I'm so proud.

Funkodrom
20-11-2003, 10:03:11
More suggestions!

self biased
20-11-2003, 18:57:35
idunno. i was thinking something along the lines of 'the many facets of Constance Shannon.' the only thing that our stories would have in common would be constance. or at least the name of it...

Darkstar
20-11-2003, 23:25:14
Why more suggestions?

Ok. How about...

Kill all aliens!
Zappo!
The shadow knows.
It was inevitable
There was a buzzing
The doorbell rang.
There was a knock at the door.
Another round!
The light went out.
He clicked the "submit" button.
A bird sang.

Immortal Wombat
20-11-2003, 23:44:12
What about my house!
Someone? Anyone?
Seven, and then seven more
The goulash was brought in
It's Alive!
We all thought you were dead

Funkodrom
21-11-2003, 09:49:47
Thanks guys, I'm using one of Wombats because we used one of Darkstars the time before last. Thanks for the ideas though!

Darkstar
21-11-2003, 22:00:37
Works for me. Story Thread Starter's choice and all that.

Darkstar
09-01-2004, 01:25:05
"What did you say?"

"Why did I know that was going to happen?"

"What the hell were you thinking?"

"Is that all?"

"Tell me that was not the only one."

Lady_of_Chicken
11-01-2004, 04:17:49
One Dozen Last Line Suggestions:

--And that's how I got where I am today.

--Wouldn't you know, she made me take the money.

--The sign said: "Keep off the grass".

--He liked chewing the heads off used matches.

--The gelatinous substance made her think of home.

--And the reason why we have five kids is because we don't want six!!! (Sorry, two are biting my legs while I type.)

--But that wasn't the last we ever heard of him again.

--Ben hurled.

--I'll never do it again, Mother.

--She screamed.

--Bang, you're dead.

--Get out!!

Funkodrom
11-01-2004, 11:26:03
OK, I'll start a new thread on Monday. Any more suggestions?

protein
11-01-2004, 11:49:32
and he could see that it was lost forever.

One last time the creature looked at Tommy before running into the forest, Tommy knew then that he would forever cherish the magical time that he and the small green and furry alien creature known as Znurtlarck shared together.

He dropped to his knees as the blood poured down his face, "I knew all along, I KNEW ALL ALONG!"

The pressure equalised and the discs slowly came to a grinding halt

QtFLW@Work
12-01-2004, 22:33:46
Last line suggestion: Let there be darkness!

Funkodrom
12-01-2004, 23:41:36
Hmmm... forgot this yesterday. Possibly not really around tomorrow so if someone else wants to do it go ahead otherwise weds!

Darkstar
13-01-2004, 07:48:40
Hell, many work well for begining or ending. ;)

LAST LINE? This will be er... well, something.

Darkstar
13-01-2004, 07:50:35
Final Line Suggestions:

Amen.

Then I went to sleep.

Then the bell rang.

The car wouldn't start.

The train left.

It is a good day to die.

protein
13-01-2004, 09:39:15
It was all a dream... OR WAS IT?

DaShi
13-01-2004, 09:52:13
The End or Is It? :nervous:

Nills Lagerbaak
31-01-2004, 11:56:57
"Lets start at the very beginning...."

"The bubble had burst, and they knew it..."

"In a matter of minutes they would return, and this time they would be hungry...."

""We must eat our way out", she said..."

Darkstar
22-04-2004, 04:59:40
Did we just get sucked into Duke Nuk'em Forever?

Thread bump. I think we should go back to starting lines, since the "ending lines" never managed to get off the ground.

Darkstar
22-04-2004, 05:24:41
"You know that you are the only one for me."

The church bells rang.

"This is not what I meant when I said, I think we should spice up our marriage."

Drekkus
22-04-2004, 12:23:24
I really like protein's "The warm feeling had left by now..."

Has a lot of different directions.

King_Ghidra
23-04-2004, 10:57:50
Yeah, that is a good starting line.

I think i may just start that one up right now.

Darkstar
02-07-2004, 05:41:04
At least nothing else can go wrong.

It could be worse; it could be raining.

Kory
03-07-2004, 23:35:59
Starting lines, getchyer starting lines here:

I'm scared all the time now.

She hesitated just a moment too long.

The sun slipped down under the horizon...

It was a Monday, the first time she noticed it.

The river overflowed that spring...

No one saw it coming.

The first time I fell in love...

Darkness settled over the city.

Somewhere in the back of her mind, she knew she was dreaming.

----
First lines indicating gender probably should be changeable, for people who prefer male viewpoint characters. First person should be mutable into third and vice versa.

People writing in second person will be shot at sunrise.

-- Kory (Too busy editing to play, but happy to suggest prompts.)

Angelhorns
06-07-2004, 09:46:55
wouldnt it be better to do themes rather than starting lines? I find them a bit limiting

Funkodrom
06-07-2004, 10:51:02
Really? I think they are very inspiring and give you a huge range of possibilities. Themes are more limiting (for me). With a starting line the challenge is to choose which of many scenarios would be most fun to write.

King_Ghidra
06-07-2004, 11:04:02
why do people go to the trouble of suggesting lines for something they have no interest in participating in or even starting?

i really don't see how someone can claim they are too busy to write a story when i repeated many times that fifty words (or whatever) is more than enough

The only thing that counts is participation - however big or small that participation is. Anything else is pointless.

Angelhorns
06-07-2004, 14:15:03
hmmm.... I like choosing my own words.

Funkodrom
06-07-2004, 14:23:57
Well if you are starting the next competition you could select your own starting words. :)

The plus side of a few starting words is that it gets people... well... started. And they can pick their own theme so you are less likely to have people not contributing because they don't like the theme.

That said, I think that if you wanted to start a thread for short story submissions on a theme I reckon people would submit them so maybe you should just go for it.

Kory
06-07-2004, 18:00:15
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
why do people go to the trouble of suggesting lines for something they have no interest in participating in or even starting?

Because that's what I do. I'm the Challenges Pimp.

No, really. I spent months running challenges over at my old writer's site. Just because I didn't participate in them all doesn't mean I have no interest in the idea. I like to encourage other people to write as well as doing my own writing.

i really don't see how someone can claim they are too busy to write a story when i repeated many times that fifty words (or whatever) is more than enough

Total time to invest in writing this week: if I'm lucky, somewhere between 6-8 hours.

Estimated time to completion on projects on my queue: somewhere upwards of 100 hours.

No. Really.

Angelhorns
06-07-2004, 23:52:38
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Well if you are starting the next competition you could select your own starting words. :)

The plus side of a few starting words is that it gets people... well... started. And they can pick their own theme so you are less likely to have people not contributing because they don't like the theme.

That said, I think that if you wanted to start a thread for short story submissions on a theme I reckon people would submit them so maybe you should just go for it.

I have a book called the Writers Block (because its a little block) and its full of all kinds of stuff thats meant to kickstart the imagination. Maybe i'll dig it out and post some bits so you can see the type of thing i mean.

Darkstar
07-07-2004, 19:16:52
KG...

My main problem with not posting more in the comps is that I have too many possibilities and haven't settled down to pick one. Once I have, I'll boost another piece up. When you cannot decide between two options, then neither option is important, yadda yadda blah...

Themes? Well, we certainly can do themes. So a Short Story Theme series? Start it. A few here will probably play along.

King_Ghidra
08-07-2004, 09:37:30
The thing that people don't seem to comprehend is that if they want to start a short story thread they just have to actually start it. Pontificating here is not going to achieve anything. I don't care if people have or haven't got valid excuses for not contributing, no one is obliged to enter, but the only two things that you can be certain of is that if a) people only suggest short story ideas and never start a thread for it then there will never be another short story challenge, and b) if someone starts a short story challenge and no one writes a story to enter it then the whole thing is moot anyway.

What this thread and this forum do not need are starting line submissions, themes or any other shit. What this forum needs is a thread to post stories in and people who are willing to write them.

My experience of the last few attempts is that there are lots of people who like the idea of writing a short story and virtually no one who has the ability or desire to actually complete one.

Funkodrom
08-07-2004, 09:41:58
There have been a few entries for each competition haven't there? That's about what I'd expect. There aren't hundreds of posters let alone hundreds of writers.

But I agree, AH should just start a new story thread if the wants to, it's easier to make her own guidelines up than get everyone to agree on some new ones.

Darkstar
08-07-2004, 22:28:00
So, KG says... LETS NOT BOTHER!

Got that. Never invite KG to a party. He'll just piss and moan cause its not perfect, so there wasn't any point in bothering. That's really how you come across, KG. What's wrong, in need of a coke fix to pick you up?

You know, I bubbled this stuff up for AngelHorns. Noone wanted to step on KG's toes (since he started it). But if KG thinks its never worth bothering with, then we won't worry about him or his feelings. Silly community!

King_Ghidra
09-07-2004, 08:23:48
i really struggle to find the words to describe what a fucking stupid little bitch you are darkstar

i thnk you'll find what i have said right from the beginning is that short story is not mine to run, it's not mine to dictate the content, and it's not mine to say who can enter

anyone who wants to participate can - and let's face it, they don't even need a thread to do it, many people have started threads to post their own fiction

how anyone could feel they shouldn't step on my toes is beyond me - i have never claimed sole ownership of this concept, and funko has already started a couple of the threads anyway

'silly community'? no just a few pontificating little bitches like you ds who are more interested in stirring shit than doing anything productive - call me mystic meg, but i somehow knew when i logged on to cg this morning there would be a post from you criticising me on this topic

i have written stories for every single contest and started most of them. I think i'm entitled to be disappointed when i make an effort and only one person bothers to join in, as was the case with the last one

as for you, kiss my ass you condescending little dick and welcome to ignore. I've wasted the last of my time getting excited about your hot air.

Kory
09-07-2004, 16:56:08
You know, K_G, lack of participation in no way stops you from writing. No one says everything you write has to be under the buddy system. Nor that you even have to put it online here (and remember what I said about first electronic rights last year). If you want to write, just write. If you need writing support, my suggestion is that a gaming site is not the first place you should turn for it. Lots of writer's groups out there you could be getting support from. The NaNoWriMo forum on helpful sites has ongoing ads for them, in fact; that'd be a good place to start (I also recommend NaNo itself).

-- Kory (Being bitchy about writing doesn't accomplish much.)

King_Ghidra
09-07-2004, 17:58:29
Why are you telling me this? Have i said lack of participation stops me writing?

The only thing i have stopped doing is starting short story threads here. You seem to have invented some kind of alternate reality where i asked for help about writing :clueless:

Kory
09-07-2004, 18:39:46
Well, considering how much time you're spending bitching about how no one else is writing, and bitching people out for not participating, it sure as hell sounded to me like you had a problem with it, and yes, the way you linked stuff made it sound like "No one else is writing, why should I bother?"

So sorry to actually try to point you to useful sites for support.

-- Kory (Going back to my novels now.)

BigGameHunter
09-07-2004, 18:43:23
Somebody better check the Universal Tranlator--I think the English/English circuite is fried again.

What were the rules for the competition again, KG?
;)

Darkstar
09-07-2004, 21:08:16
KG, go fuck yourself. People consider it *your* competition. That's why everyone went to you about it. Mikey didn't start those threads until he got *your* permission. Why is that? Mikey doesn't have a problem doing things his own way. Could it possibly be because... why yes, it is. He was being considerate of you. The same as everyone else here were being. But I don't think you've told enough people off for being considerate of you yet. Why don't you go yell a bit at your mom and dad for being so inconsiderate as to not kill you while you were in the crib. And while you are at it, why not go up on a tower and scream at the universe for a while for it being so inconsiderate as to allow you to be formed.

Goodness forbid us from trying to be nice to each other. :rolleyes:

BigGameHunter
09-07-2004, 21:12:10
Let's us know when it's your turn.

Darkstar
09-07-2004, 21:52:44
To be nice to me? Never happen. :D

Honestly, that rant just set me off. Bitching is fine by me. It's a favorite forum sport that even I enjoy participating in. But he was coming across as saying noone should bother because noone will play.

Hell, I responded much nicer to several identical rants of his in Main--- and it was because it was in MAIN, not our Writing forum. We only have, what, 50 regular posters here at most? So that means we have 2 or more people participate in this sort of thing, it's a smashing success.

People just didn't want to offend him. He may have gotten tired of repeating himself, but noone reads every thread here. So he's will probably still have to say it another 15 to 20 times before everyone finally knows they don't need his permission to do so without hurting his feelings. I *know* it can be aggravating to repeat yourself, over and over. And I *know* it can be frustrating kicking off one of these little projects (several of us have done it over the years in *this* community). But neither is sufficent reason to tell off everyone from ever trying.

Other then that, hey, have fun. It's really rather funny seeing KG get mad because people were trying to be nice. We have people bitching because we aren't nice enough, and people bitching because we are too nice. Guess we are in the "just right" area of concern for our fellow posters then. ;)

Angelhorns
10-07-2004, 21:47:26
K-G

Just to clarify my position....I recently remembered you had done writing comps on here and came on to this forum to look, and it seemed to have died of death, so when I floated the idea of another one, I did actually post a thread asking for your advice which you may not have seen, butyou didnt reply so someone suggested I start one myself
. It being a fairly nebulous idea, I was just saying I might do it and what about themes instead of starting lines (and why not, if I organise it). It was in no way meant to be an attempt to perfect anything or reinvent the wheel, tread on your toes, piss you off or anything else- I was just bouncing the idea around to see if anyone else was interested.
As for commitment to writing, well at the moment I'm balancing a long distance relationship with a house that needs full redecoration and partial renovation, and a highly demanding work situation where I'm doing a job that used to be done by 3 people, hence my lack of commitment so far. Its not high on my priority list, most of my spare time is currently spent sleeping, but I thought it might make a good break one evening or in a week or two. So there we go. It was always a reluctant maybe maybe situation for me and I was just sounding it out.

OK? You Leo's are such Prima Donna's :D

BigGameHunter
11-07-2004, 07:28:05
It's only because we're gods among mortals and you mortals piss us the fuck off, mmmmmmkay?

Angelhorns
11-07-2004, 11:49:54
i have leo rising...I understand ;)

BigGameHunter
13-07-2004, 16:35:11
Well, that's a start, but I still don't think your application will clear the review board.
We could make you a token Leo or something...

Angelhorns
15-07-2004, 00:39:01
there's a pussy joke in here somewhere goddammit!!

BigGameHunter
15-07-2004, 00:51:52
If you say so...

self biased
26-01-2010, 07:25:17
bump.