PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT: If you are a GalCivver read this!

Darkstar
24-09-2003, 04:52:53
Someone has hacked the security to Star Dock's "Star Dock Central" (SDC) program, and has been using it to distribute worms, viruses, and key loggers! Do not run StarDock Central as it has auto-update, auto-install, and can be told to put together programs (this is how those things get by your on-board AV... it comes down in parts, gets ran, pops of your AV, and installs the stuff in stealth).

You have been warned.

Me? I'm off to rebuild my notebook. :cry: I managed to get it clean once, and then was a dumb ass. I decided to MAKE SURE it was SDC that was the vector for infection. Now I cannot get off a stealth key logger... Any recommendations? I prefer NOT to have to rebuild my notebook and reload all my apps...

Resource Consumer
24-09-2003, 11:27:46
:(

MDA
24-09-2003, 16:13:51
Damn, that sucks Darkstar.

Darkstar
25-09-2003, 20:03:32
Well, I did finally manage to get full functionality restored.

I haven't seen much bitching on StarDock's GalCiv forum, so not many people picked up the trouble, or SD caught it and cleaned it out. I'm figuring the second, but that's because I believe the folks at SD are generally good guys (yeah, I know, I'm just gullible).

Anyways, it seems to be ok now, but... just be as freaking careful as you can be when you utilize the SDC (StarDock Central)... another "incident" is bound to happen.

Luckily, I'm decently noid as it is, and keep multiple backups, so even if I have to set my old computer on fire and go buy a new one, I would rarely loose more then a couple of days email. But installing all the fun and games and tools just takes so freaking lond. :(

The Mad Monk
27-09-2003, 10:58:47
What if you're a GuyCivver?

Nav
27-09-2003, 11:22:01
I ran SDC a day after the latest update. Was the hack later? Would I know if I've been infected? Help! :(

No longer Trippin
27-09-2003, 23:07:17
You know if your infected if when you go to the command prompt and type: format c: and it ask you if you want to or not, if this happens immediately click yes. If it doesn't happen then your safe.

DaShi
28-09-2003, 11:40:33
Whew! I'm safe.

Harry Seldon
30-09-2003, 18:31:59
I've had good luck with format /mbr, too.

Darkstar
30-09-2003, 20:58:29
Nav, if you are worried, run SpyBotS&D on your system. It's free, and is good at being a nasty finder. That's what I used to find and get rid of the nasty that was troubling me after I did a SDC update.

Corwin
13-10-2003, 16:28:36
Wow. That sucks. I'm glad that I never downloaded SDC. I always just use the traditional patches. Bit of a pain, but better than getting that nasty piece of work.

Have you tried the x-pack yet?

Darkstar
14-10-2003, 18:50:37
Yeppers. The new Tech Navigator is a nice touch for the people who haven't permanently moved into the Star Dock universe and are only dragged out by their mothers to eat something.

The new graphics aren't anything super. The new ship isn't either... some new morality choices (most seem taken from the Library and just made official though).

If you LIKE GC, the expansion is nice. If you don't, it's not going to bring GC up to "playable".

The main differences in the x-pack are fixes to the AI (now they all acutally understand the default tech tree, and will try to follow the requirements of any custom one you are playing with), and star bases now cost 10 in maintence. This is a huge deal to the AI, as it still goes SB crazy and builds 8 star bases where just 1 would do, and do better then 8. The cost increase means that only AI empires decimate their economies with all those extra SBs early on; and that means that the human is just given the game, as TBS games with a mad land rush are the ultimate compounded interest (rich get richer/poor get poorer) games.