PDA

View Full Version : IP lookup

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
18-09-2003, 20:03:30
Is there a specific IP address for the sitefinder.verisign.com address? I want to block my PC from reaching it. Stupid VeriSign.

Scabrous Birdseed
18-09-2003, 20:08:21
Get your ISP to apply this BIND patch:

http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/delegation-only.html

In response to high demand from our users, ISC is releasing a patch for BIND to support the declaration of "delegation-only" zones in caching/recursive name servers. Briefly, a zone which has been declared "delegation-only" will be effectively limited to containing NS RRs for subdomains, but no actual data outside its apex (for example, its SOA RR and apex NS RRset). This can be used to filter out "wildcard" or "synthesized" data from NAT boxes or from authoritative name servers whose undelegated (in-zone) data is of no interest.

:clueless:

No longer Trippin
18-09-2003, 20:49:20
Why do you want to block your PC from reaching it, just don't visit it. If it's calling out, run spybot or adaware to get rid of what is calling home.

Sean
18-09-2003, 21:17:15
You missed the news, Trip? They are redirecting wildcard matches for .com and .net to that address.

Nav
18-09-2003, 22:51:24
I was wondering why I went to verisign the other day when I couldnt access a domain..

:rolleyes:

No longer Trippin
19-09-2003, 01:37:50
Nope, never had it happen to me and didn't read about it, but I have been busy with 3 exams over the past two days and a lit. paper due tomorrow. Haven't had much time for tech news.

Darkstar
19-09-2003, 16:27:53
Verisign has turned all unowned domains into ads for them. The anti-spammers are particularly pissed, as Verisign has done a very poor job setting up their stuff, so a check of any random "domain" such as www.getfuckedby24inchesoflongdongsilver.com will find a legitimate host (and not the true forgery that it is). And that means they let it through (since most spam use forged addresses at non-existant domanins).

I haven't found Verisign in my web browser yet from a typo or whatnot, but it's only a matter of time.

Nav
19-09-2003, 17:14:50
"The page cannot be displayed" :hmm:

Sir Penguin
19-09-2003, 18:37:25
That means you've been disconnected from the Internet.

SP

MDA
22-09-2003, 20:58:10
We didn't find: "www.getfuckedby24inchesoflongdongsilver.com"
There is no Web site at this address.
<chop>

Copyrightę 2003 VeriSign, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Content Filtering Preferences | Help

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
23-09-2003, 00:08:58
You went there, MDA? That mean THEY KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND ARE TRACKING WHERE YOU CAME FROM AND WHERE YOU'RE GOING!

And they can change their Terms of Use whenever they want (go read it, by navigating to their page, you've already agreed to them) which means if they want to start charging royalties, or using your IP to determine your email address to spam you, or whatever, they can!

--

On a related note, I'm getting a 64 error, "Page not found"! I guess my ISP applied the BIND patch, no more Verisign! :D

No longer Trippin
23-09-2003, 00:53:25
I get the page cannot be displayed and I use shitty compuserve because it's free. Don't really need more than 56k anyhow. Though they may have been a 100-nil attempt by DS. :) So Own Goal?

Darkstar
24-09-2003, 04:36:57
I get Verisign from work, and page not found from my home ISP. They don't seem to be happy with Verisign's decision either. ;)

ICANN has told them to change it back. They've told the ICANN to go take a flying fuck, as this change gives them more eyeballs hitting their ads, which gives them more money. They ALREADY make 150 Million Dollars annually off advertisement revenue, and want more.