PDA

View Full Version : Listen without Prejudice 5 - Part 2

Scabrous Birdseed
17-09-2003, 22:00:53
http://www.counterglow.com/article.php?id=lwp5_2

Scabrous Birdseed
17-09-2003, 22:01:20
I'm not "publishing" until Debbie gives me the piccies tomorrow.

Sean
17-09-2003, 22:04:11
Aww. Fancy spelling ‘without’ right?

Sean
17-09-2003, 22:04:52
Erm, my first review wasTrack 8
Not remotely modern, clever, or meaningful. I like it.
Guess: Funkodrom.

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-09-2003, 22:10:07
I can't believe your reviews. You big girl's blouse.

BigGameHunter
17-09-2003, 22:52:27
Aha! I knew KG's track reminded me of something!
Clockwork Orange was my most watched movie of my teen years.
It all makes sense now.

zmama
18-09-2003, 00:20:38
And aha for me! I thought *EIF*s song sounded like something on the radio...The Juliana Theory is from Pittsburgh. I have heard them!

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-09-2003, 06:21:41
I had a suspicion this would happen. Scabby reviewed a Pixies track without using the term "Quiet/loud aesthetic" once. I thought that track had only been picked in an attempt to get him to say he liked a Pixies track.

*End Is Forever*
18-09-2003, 08:13:39
I was rather intrigued as to whether Laz, Guy, BGH et al were actually listening to the same track of mine as some of the others...

Funkodrom
18-09-2003, 08:52:08
Ah, it's from FACT. I knew I'd heard it before.

King_Ghidra
18-09-2003, 13:27:08
I was pretty surprised to find out that short track i really liked was by the pixies.

Debaser, i'd certainly like to take you up on your offer of the album loan.

Sean
18-09-2003, 14:06:58
You would be better off borrowing the BBC sessions thing. The definitive version of Caribou is on there.

Debaser
18-09-2003, 14:10:17
That's what I am going to lend him. The Wild Honey Pie cover is excellent too.

Scabrous Birdseed
18-09-2003, 14:27:44
And the picture?

Debaser
18-09-2003, 14:34:34
My 'pooter still at the repair place, so feel free to use any ramdon picture you like. I was just going to use old B-movie posters cruedly photoshopped to say Listen Without Prejudice, and then take a small part of the picture to use as the icon, but it's not too important at all really. If you're really stuck I can have a go using MS Paint or whatever.

Scabrous Birdseed
18-09-2003, 14:36:31
I'll leave it as is til you're done. I can always publish later.

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-09-2003, 18:24:04
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
I was rather intrigued as to whether Laz, Guy, BGH et al were actually listening to the same track of mine as some of the others...

It beats me how anyone could call that one "Emo".

BigGameHunter
18-09-2003, 18:38:33
Yeah...I thought I was closing in on the whole "emo" hangup you guys have, but now I'm all confused again.
Sounded like regular old big hair rock, a la Rick Springfield or Cory Hart or something.
I thought emo was whispery college bands with no distortion in their amps?

Scabrous Birdseed
18-09-2003, 18:43:12
Emo is whiny pop-punk kiddies singing about their teen angst in a characteristic voice, which was definately present here.

King_Ghidra@home
18-09-2003, 18:51:32
agreed, that was emo pure and simple

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-09-2003, 18:59:28
So given that the track certainly wasn't pop, punk, or pop/punk, that means it's all just down to the voice? Even if it's saddled to a Qawwali backing?

Scabrous Birdseed
18-09-2003, 19:08:05
Well, listen to his acoustic tracks on the other compilation. It's not the guitar's fault that the singer is an introvert, snivelling pussy.

BigGameHunter
18-09-2003, 23:24:43
That singer wasn't introverted at all...it was total stadium type, mid 80's rock.
You people are insane, truly.

*End Is Forever*
18-09-2003, 23:29:29
Looks like we're not listening without prejudice after all.

BigGameHunter
18-09-2003, 23:31:33
According to some of the definitions here, bands like The Cure, Camper Van Beethoven, The Smiths and REM, etc. are all emo, right? What's the distinction?

Sean
18-09-2003, 23:50:11
You know, I considered responding to the song istself. But then I thought ‘why bother, Iain will just say “utterly predictable from Sean” again’ and I couldn’t stand that level of irony.

*End Is Forever*
18-09-2003, 23:54:19
You think I'd bother responding personally...? ;)

I'm well aware you don't like anything that involves the use of amplification. :D

Sean
18-09-2003, 23:56:44
I was about to refute that, but considering what I’m listening to now I can’t :(.

Scabrous Birdseed
19-09-2003, 07:40:52
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
According to some of the definitions here, bands like The Cure, Camper Van Beethoven, The Smiths and REM, etc. are all emo, right? What's the distinction?

They're not using that voice.

King_Ghidra
19-09-2003, 08:14:19

Considering all your submissions sound remarkably similar, are you surprised?

It probably took about twenty seconds tops to think 'emo' when i heard that. Stuck out like a sore thumb compared to most of the compilation.

If you're giving the impression there's no variety in the music you listen to, then who is the one with the prejudice?

zmama
19-09-2003, 12:11:50
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
That singer wasn't introverted at all...it was total stadium type, mid 80's rock.
You people are insane, truly.

I agree ! :D Seems like the same jump to categorize I see whenever a slide guitar is heard, "it's country!"

...bull :clueless:

Funkodrom
19-09-2003, 12:39:31
I associate slide guitar with blues. But I've heard a lot more blues than I've heard country.

BigGameHunter
19-09-2003, 15:40:56
Seems the Americans (and Laz, the Plutonian) are the more rational in this case. Well, it's nice to know we are level-headed in at least one venue.

The emo backlash is like cricket--once the rules are explained, I still don't get it.
To me, a band like Ben Folds Five or such would be more emo (and I think Ben Folds Five is pretty good, actually) than the song Ian placed on the comp. That one was just cheese-rock to me. But it certainly didn't summon images of over-earnesty collegians or anything.

I think some of you try too hard to be hard, if you know what I mean.

Funkodrom
19-09-2003, 15:53:41
No, it's all you out of touch old fogeys who think it's not Emo. ;)

It's not our fault, we're victims of the music industry categorising all music into the three genres that are currently supposed to be cool so that we'll like it. Loads of bands that I wouldn't categorise as Emo get called it all the time. At the Drive-In for instance. WTF?!

Anyway, The Juliana Theory are one of the most emo bands around, he's singing in "Generic Emo voice #1" and the song sounds quite like Jimmy Eat World (even down to the wooo-oh-oh bits). So I can' t believe we're having this conversation. :) And look at the how emo can you get lyrics (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/julianatheory/doyoubelieveme.html) :p

King_Ghidra
19-09-2003, 15:56:17
thank you, you've neatly summed up exactly what i was clumsily about to say

BigGameHunter
19-09-2003, 20:56:52
OOOOOoooooooooook, then....hmmmm...yes, those lyrics are abysmal, really.
I personally hated the song because I thought it was generic, mainstream drivel with an uninspired singer and silly delivery.

Maybe I see what you're saying...but as you pointed out, some good bands apparently suffer in the whitewashing that this genre gets.
Seems kind of dumb, personally.
Almost the equivalent scorn that rap or metal get over here, in general.

*End Is Forever*
19-09-2003, 21:41:14
Talking of abysmal lyrics...

Can't explain all the feelings that you're making me feel
My heart's in overdrive and you're behind the steering wheel

Touching you, touching me
Touching you, God you're touching me

I believe in a thing called love
Just listen to the rhythm of my hart
There's a chance we could make it now
We'll be rocking 'til the sun goes down
Ooh!

I wanna kiss you every minute, every hour, every day
You got me in a spin but everything is A.OK!

Ooh! Guitar!

Ooh!

King_Ghidra@home
19-09-2003, 23:52:46
it's great when people who have been hurt lash out rather than answer the criticism or accusations they previously denied

*End Is Forever*
20-09-2003, 00:07:11
Well perhaps I'm wasting my breath, but anyway...

Loads of bands that I wouldn't categorise as Emo get called it all the time. At the Drive-In for instance. WTF?!

I'm sorry, but if you genuinely think that the vocals on ATD-I's work "aren't emo" and the rather straight-laced delivery on this LWP track is, then you're very much guilty of selective hearing. ATD-I can screech and scream with the best of them. I'm highly tempted to put an ATD-I track on the next LWP and watch everyone who doesn't recognise it denounce it as emo.

Anyway, The Juliana Theory are one of the most emo bands around

True, but their "normal" work bears very little resemblance to this track!

he's singing in "Generic Emo voice #1"

Oh come on... are you listening to the same song?

Immortal Wombat
20-09-2003, 00:58:08
Most of the song is clearly "Generic Emo voice #2: Slightly Peeved Variant". It is rockier than other TJT stuff, and I'm not sure that helps it really cos then it just sounds like emo trying not to be. Having said that, I never listen to lyrics, and find the music behind most 'emo' tracks to be fairly pleasant. On the whole I like TJT.

Lazarus and the Gimp
20-09-2003, 07:43:56
Bugger. I can't find anywhere that stocks the Lali Puna album.

Funkodrom
20-09-2003, 08:54:32
I'm sorry, but if you genuinely think that the vocals on ATD-I's work "aren't emo" and the rather straight-laced delivery on this LWP track is, then you're very much guilty of selective hearing. ATD-I can screech and scream with the best of them. I'm highly tempted to put an ATD-I track on the next LWP and watch everyone who doesn't recognise it denounce it as emo.

You mean "Generic Emo Voice #2"?

Sean
20-09-2003, 12:41:38
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Bugger. I can't find anywhere that stocks the Lali Puna album.
11 from Warp.

Guy
21-09-2003, 01:13:33
I'm with BGH in that I have no clue what constitutes 'emo', and I also don't care. If it sounds good, I'll listen to it, regardless of what it is.

I apologize for my excessive wordiness on this go-around, I got a bit carried away on a few of these. That being said, I'll raise a toast to Mr. Birdseed, who gave me the best laugh I've had all day by putting zmama's review (with relevant guess), right after mine on the last track. :)

*End Is Forever*
21-09-2003, 12:30:54
Alright so I just heard Inertiatic ESP on the telly... and whilst I don't know the lyrics... that song has emo written all over it. Consistency please, guys?

Scabrous Birdseed
21-09-2003, 12:32:09
No problem. ATDI is Emo.

*End Is Forever*
21-09-2003, 12:33:16
It's dark but it's definitely emo...

Clipside of the pinkeye flight
I'm not the percent you think survives
I need sanctuary in the pages of this book
Gestating with all the other rats
Nurse said that my skin will need a graft
I am of pockmarked shapes