PDA

View Full Version : Free expansion for Galactic Civilizations!

Nav
17-09-2003, 15:20:09
Not often you can get something for free, however Stardock Entertaiment have released Galactic Civilizations: Expanded Universe for nout! (of course you need to have bought the game in the first place)

The expansion pack includes hundreds of new features, tweaks, and enhancements based on player feedback. Including; Rally points, an integrated encyclopedia and updated star graphics.

www.galciv.com

Nav
17-09-2003, 15:22:24
updates in more detail:

Rally points. Players can now set rally points to automatically send ships to different positions in the galaxy.

A new integrated Encyclopedia. Players can now instantly access a built in technology tree navigator, information on ships, planets, stars, and ships, and other data via hyperlinks within the game.

Updated graphics for stars, sector drawing, space anomalies, and more to enhance the visual appeal of the game.

Enhanced Governors that allow players to obsolete older ship designs and more effectively manage a vast interstellar civilization including an explored star list, slider locking, and other UI enhancements.

"Dungeon Master" mode (cheat keys) that let players tweak the game on the fly to create a more customized experience.

A host of new technologies, random events, new anomalies, new ships, and more.

Hundreds of new sectors in the largest galaxy size.

And much more (complete list at: http://sdcentral2.stardock.com/public/gc1/beta/history.htm)

Screenshots: http://www.galciv.com/gcx

Venom
17-09-2003, 15:38:08
So it's a super patch.

MDA
17-09-2003, 19:51:01
Yes, but they're calling it a free expansion.

I was so disappointed by the Moo3 feedback, I might have to download this. Someday. After I get a real job.

Darkstar
17-09-2003, 21:37:47
It's an improvement. Something StarDock has said all along they would do... improve the game based on player feedback for the first 6 to 12 months.

And unlike other shops *cough*Firaxis*cough*, they've kept to their word, and provided it for free.

Their CEO is already taking suggestions on GalCiv2. Might turn out to be a 3D map with lightweight MoO from how he talks about it. He definately sees a big MoO market out there... that's a very disappointed crowd of would be combat space ship engineers out there... and the primary reason Galciv is such a huge success. (Over 90% of all GalCiv fans purchased MoO3 first... and were so puking sick over it, they returned MoO3 for money/store credit and got GalCiv instead. And began recommending it to everyone that would bother listening to them.)

GalCiv is a good game, and StarDock is a good company. I just got frustrated with how StarDock was handling some of their improvements. A great many changes and adjustments were made to the game and the community itself because of the top uber-geekoid who exploited holes that StarDock didn't intend to be exploited (their are designed holes in the game meant for the human player to exploit), which tended to close out a lot of the fun for the regular joe shmoe, as compared to the first release of the game.

I also found the initial mad land rush at the start of all games to be boring. You had to do that though, or you lost the game... and lost it in the first 30 turns. It just took you a few thousand turns to find out.

Those behaviors ultimately drove me to boredom with GalCiv. I do not like to have to follow one predetermined strategy path for the first phase of a game. And I did not like them mucking about to try and close out the strategy path that the top 3 uber players were using to rack up "impossible" scores and wins... as that shorted out the options for fun for the regular grunt.

Other then that... It's a good basic Civ in Space game, with a very well done AI, and a very supportive company backing the game. I'd recommend it to the basic TBS SF Civ players for a good couple to three months of play...

Shining1
19-09-2003, 02:48:06
Arrrrr!! Mighty beaut news that!!

Darkstar
19-09-2003, 16:53:48
StarDock is going to do a PAY FOR expansion (price... $19.95) which they expect to be due out this December. Brad says it has to be that way because it would just cost to much to do it with all the multimedia artwork and programmer time and not get in extra money.

And that one will be a "story" expansion, like how SMAC tells the Story of Transcendance. Anyways, that will have 2 new alien races, and all the features that didn't make it into this free patch. So maybe they are following the evil path of *cough*Firaxis*cough* after all?