PDA

View Full Version : Short Story Contests

Qweeg
15-09-2003, 16:26:05
What happened to them? They suddenly stopped, is it because Ghidras last Short Story contest critic-thread got hijacked, and degenerated into an undignified conversation about the comparative values of literature and cinema (you'd think we could try to be more adult around here)?

Because if so, I think we should put that unpleasantness behind us and soldier on in making kwik-stories for bored people on the internet, like we were doing before.

Ghidras pioneering initiative should be encouraged as it gives me an opportunity to write subliminaly code-filled stuff that others are obliged to read again and again without knowing why.

King_Ghidra@home
15-09-2003, 21:57:55
well this one had a two week duration because people weren't getting their asses into gear and writing them.

But this time not only has the number of entries been pathetically low, but i posted mine the other day and i'm not sure anyone has even read it.

So...at the moment i could give a fuck less about it, but i will probably start #5 tomorrow anyway.

Immortal Wombat
15-09-2003, 22:01:24
Your story made me sad. :( Probably that means it's a good story.

I don't usually like sad stories though, since there doesn't seem to be any point. For me, reading is either about escapism (I want happiness or blood), or being a pretentious twat (hence War and Peace etc). Stories that make me sad are like real life but without the pictures.

King_Ghidra@home
15-09-2003, 22:10:11
i think life is sad, so i do tend to write a lot of sad stories. graham greene and ernest hemingway are probably the two major influences on my outlook on life and they also felt the sense of tragedy and futility in the human struggle.

I have to say i think war and peace is more in that vein than it is pretentious. Tolstoy sees the big picture of human existence - births, marriages and deaths are his stock in trade.

At any rate, the two women in my story are only stuck in a tragedy of manners and friendship. I think it has an optimistic ending. They're happy, even though they're in this silly situation of lies.

Darkstar
16-09-2003, 01:03:10
I read your story. I thought it was very typical of people lieing to each other. Didn't see a reason to comment about it, as I didn't have any nice, funny, or helpful comments about it.

Start the next one. :)

DaShi
16-09-2003, 05:23:22
I thought that it was very inaccurate. Women don't care whose feelings they hurt!

King_Ghidra
16-09-2003, 13:31:01
Oh, we need suggestions for the starting phrase for contest #5

Darkstar
17-09-2003, 04:27:44
You've got 3 threads full of suggestions, don't you? So where's that new one?

King_Ghidra
17-09-2003, 09:09:45
They are fucking well not 'full' of suggestions, if you can find decent ones we haven't used then your powers of perception are greater than mine.

Venom
17-09-2003, 12:36:20
I wish I could write. Because then I would.

Darkstar
17-09-2003, 21:17:02
Here's a quote for you, since your eyesight and powers of observation are failing so horridly...

"Fuck you."

Darkstar
17-09-2003, 23:16:42
Venom, I recall tales of you being able to write. Apparently, that was your one redeeming feature/talent. So what happened? Just don't have the time?

Venom
18-09-2003, 12:47:51
That's a lie! I could never do anything!

Qweeg
19-09-2003, 09:43:54
I have the perfect suggestion for an opening phrase right here,

"That's a lie!"

Good huh, I don't know where I get my ideas from but hey, genius is.

Darkstar
19-09-2003, 16:38:45
Good one, Qweeg!

Let's start a simple "Short Story Starting Lines Submissions" thread, so KG only has to look in one thread for a list of submissions. Not that they'd be any good, but thems the breaks... taking submissions from an Internet Forum, well... we are already scraping the bottom of the barrel.