PDA

View Full Version : What's the most quintessential movie of the 1990s?

Scabrous Birdseed
12-09-2003, 18:42:12
The Fifth Element. :lol: :lol: :lol:

*jeers from the audience*

Darkstar
14-09-2003, 02:28:52
That was... lots of special effects, lousy acting, skimpy outfits on girls, lousy sound track, and no real plot or backstory? Yeah, that sounds about right. ;)

Scabrous Birdseed
14-09-2003, 08:54:37
Hey lay off spoiling my latin jokes.

Spartak
14-09-2003, 18:53:21
Silent Runnintg

King_Ghidra
15-09-2003, 07:49:54
Presumably scabby has made some joke in his first post rather than attempted to invite comment on the quintessential film of the nineties.

However i have absoloutely no fucking idea what the joke is.

fp
15-09-2003, 08:03:46
I suspect that, in Latin, quin = Five and essential = element, or something very similar to that.

HARR HARR HARR

Scabrous Birdseed
15-09-2003, 08:15:14
Basically. Quinta Essentia = Fifth Element, the element of divine perfection that supposedly was what the heavens were made of in the christian-aristotelian view of the world.

Sorry. Now you can discuss the most quintessential movie of the nineties if you like.

I say Pulp Fiction.

King_Ghidra
15-09-2003, 08:30:41
i was going to say trainspotting, but maybe that only applies to the uk

fp
15-09-2003, 09:00:03
Since 'quintessential' obviously isn't the same thing as 'best' then I could make a serious case for Fight Club.

Funkodrom
15-09-2003, 09:10:48
In fact you could make an argument that for 90s cinema the quintessential movie shouldn't actually be a good one.

Not seen Fight Club but it's on TV on wednesday so maybe I'll watch it then.

fp
15-09-2003, 09:25:53
It's definitely worth a look. Not a Great Film(tm), but certainly entertaining.

It raises a few issues about consumerism, violence, terrorism and a search for masculine identity that seem to me very typical of this era.

Although it occurs to me that Fight Club was very possible released in the year 2000, and not the 1990's at all.....

fp
15-09-2003, 09:26:37
ah, it was 1999: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137523/

*relief*

King_Ghidra
15-09-2003, 09:33:17
Working on the basis that quintessential in this context means something to the effect of 'summing up, describing the zeitgeist of' the nineties then the reason why i say trainspotting is that:

it launched a variety of important british actors (ewan macgregor, robert carlyle, johnny lee miller, etc.)

it tapped into the vogue of drug use, not just of heroin but also speed, e and others

it shows the hit of the rave scene, which has been one of the msot culturally influential events in uk music/lifestyle - leading as it has to the huge house scene, ibiza kind of vibe

it had a massively influential soundtrack - born slippy being almost the anthem of the nineties, as well as featuring the cream of britpop: blur, pulp, elastica. Not to mention perfect day

fp
15-09-2003, 09:37:44
All true, but as you said in the earlier post it possibly only applies to the UK. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

*has a flashback to 1996*

*fp is pissed out of his brain at some teenage house-party and is dancing like a lunatic*

And look at me your mom
Squatting pissed in a tube-
hole at Tottenham Court Road
I just come out of the ship
Talking to the most
Blonde I ever met
Shouting
Lager lager lager lager
Shouting
Lager lager lager lager
Shouting...
Lager lager lager
Shouting
Mega mega white thing
Mega mega white thing
Mega mega white thing
Mega mega
Shouting lager lager lager lager
Mega mega white thing
Mega mega white thing
So many things to see and do
In the tube hole true
Blonde going back to Romford
Mega mega mega going back to Romford
Hi mom are you having fun
And now are you on your way
To a new tension
headache

Aaah, happy days! :beer:

fp
15-09-2003, 10:50:38
And once again a potentially interesting thread is killed by some twat posting lyrics.

Debaser
15-09-2003, 11:08:49
I think a lot of 90's films are dating really badly. Only last night Funko and I were watching Spy Game (potentially also might have been 2000/2001), and I'm sure the flashy Lock Stock style crazy captions and quick editing looked looked pretty slick when it first came out, but to me it just seem tacky and overproduced.

As for the most quintessential movie of the 1990s, I'd agree with Pulp Fiction because it changed everything for a while, from the colours films are shot in, through to soundtracks being more than just another record company marketing tool.

maroule
15-09-2003, 11:35:46
I see the point for Pulp, it certainly impacted the 90s' but it's not really representative of it

I'd say Trainspotting because I was in London at the time, but IMO it better captures the flavour of the decade, as Risky Business (or breakfast club) is archetypal of the 80s' (but crap)

Debaser
15-09-2003, 11:55:02
If we're looking for a film that is truely representative of the 90's then look no further than the Blair Witch Project. Why? Well....

- It was the first film to really explore the use of the internet as a genuinly exciting or interesting advertising tool.

-It was made entirely on relatively cheap new digital technology. Ok, it wasn't the first film to do this, but it was the first to succeed in such a massive way.

-It was actually quite good.

Funkodrom
15-09-2003, 11:58:33
As long as you could get past the fact that the cast were intensely annoying in an "OH GOD PLEASE HURRY UP AND KILL THEM IN THE MOST INTENSELY PAINFUL WAY POSSIBLE!" way.

maroule
15-09-2003, 12:19:03
It was brilliant
the actors were so irritating watching them get slaughtered was a highly relaxing, feel good experience

King_Ghidra
15-09-2003, 12:21:48
I only saw blair witch for the first time a couple of months ago. I found it pretty scary and unsettling, i must admit. But yeah they were all very fucking annoying.

Funkodrom
15-09-2003, 12:24:45
It was scary and unsettling but only like being in the woods at dark is. I suppose it recreated that well. It's just a shame that the cast made it almost unwatchable for me.