PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Cash RIP

King_Ghidra
12-09-2003, 11:03:30
Johnny Cash, a towering figure in American music spanning country, rock and folk, has died of complications from diabetes, hospital officials in Nashville, Tennessee said today. He was 71.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1040733,00.html

Scabrous Birdseed
12-09-2003, 12:26:05
:(

Lurker
12-09-2003, 12:56:01
A shame. That's two this week. :(

BigGameHunter
12-09-2003, 14:46:55
Yeah...saw that one coming.
I'm a huge Johnny Cash fan. One of my great concert memories is seeing him a few years back. The guy had a fairly questionable voice and a very spotty life story, but man, he was so fucking real and earnest and caring--he seemed more like a neighbor or a wayward uncle than an entertainment star.
His music, though a bit overly sentimental at times, really hit a nerve with me.
He was such an inspiration to so many musicians and crossed the lines between more than a few genres--a great performer and human being.
Journey well...

zmama
12-09-2003, 16:09:11
I will miss him :(

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-09-2003, 18:36:27
A Johnny Cash story.

I was at the Glastonbury festival he played, in the "oldie slot" on the main stage. He got a massive crowd- these were the days when anyone could jump the fence- it could have been 100,000 people. The warmth of the reception he got was brilliant. Everyone cheered, laughed at the funny songs and sang along with "Ring of fire".

His voice kept cracking up, though, and by the end of the concert he was struggling a bit. I assumed he had a sore throat or something. However a few days later I was listening to Andy Kershaw on the radio, and he'd accompanied Cash to the show.

It seems that Cash had no idea what Glastonbury was about. He'd been asleep on the drive to Pilton in a limo with blacked-out windows. He'd gone on stage expecting to play to maybe a few hundred old country fans. Instead he found himself looking at the biggest crowd he'd ever played to, and everyone was worshipping him.

Turns out the reason his voice was cracking was that he couldn't stop crying. Bye, Johnny. Missing you already.

Provost Harrison
14-09-2003, 23:24:48
Woah shit!