PDA

View Full Version : The Mercury Award

Funkodrom
10-09-2003, 09:37:14
Watched a lot of this last night on BBC4.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3095430.stm

Dizzee Rascal won it. Have to say he seemed to deserve it from what I saw. He seemed to be the one doing something the most different. I like the Darkness but don't think they should have won it, they aren't breaking new musical ground exactly are they. :)

King_Ghidra
10-09-2003, 09:46:21
is the prize for breaking new ground? what is the mercury music prize for, new music? presumably that just means new bands?

Funkodrom
10-09-2003, 09:50:39
Technically it's for the 'best' British/Irish album of the year. The thing about breaking new ground was my take on it. There seems to be a lot of confusion about what that means. 9 of the 12 were debut albums but there were also Coldplay and Radiohead in there. They talked in the show last night about our obsession with whatever the new sound is in this country. Most of the shortlists seem to have had a high proportion of new artists. Was interesting stuff though.

Soweto Kinch was interesting, proper Jazz with hip-hop. Regardless of the winner it was interesting seeing a load of stuff I'd probably not have listened to otherwise.

King_Ghidra
10-09-2003, 10:06:03
Maybe i'm only manifesting my own cynicism but i wonder if people are less bothered about this prize these days.

They do seem obsessed with giving it to new and non mainstream artists, which although i can't comment on how good the winning artists are (having never heard of them) seems rather like
a) shooting your award in the foot
b) cutting off your nose to spite your face

Not that i'm remotely interested in any of these awards ceremonies. It will always be sales and word of mouth that drives the most popular artists, not some crummy award

Funkodrom
10-09-2003, 10:22:34
Yeah, but this award boosts sales and word of mouth. People see the Mercury list and start talking to people about whether they've heard them or not. Some of those artists are pretty obscure but they've got mentions on national tv and radio as well as sound clips on the front page of the BBC website, the biggest website in Europe.

Even just getting your CD gets on the rack at the front of the shop in between Coldplay and Radiohead is going to help you.

Like I said, I saw a lot of good stuff last night that I'd never have seen before so for that reason alone it was worth watching. That's the only reason I see the Mercury Prize as being different from something like the Brits. At the Brits I'll be amazed if I see something I haven't heard of before.

But yes, in general I agree, award ceremonies are bullshit and how can you judge Coldplay against Dizzee Rascal and the Darkness?

Funkodrom
17-09-2003, 09:30:05
Just got the Dizzee Rascal album. It is really good.