PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Problem

Dyl Ulenspiegel
09-09-2003, 13:48:04
I hope this doesn't mean I caught the next virus.

IE suddenly would no longer show sites and brings up cannot be displayed/server not found crap. I didn't change anything. But as it works fine with netscape, I assume it has to do something with IE settings. Any ideas?

No longer Trippin
09-09-2003, 17:13:14
It doesn't give you a more detailed error? Could be that IE is fucked up, but most likely you have something screwing around in your system. Download AVG and Adaware (be careful with what you remove with adaware - anything microsoft, let it stay - period). Both can be gotten for free and just use google. AVG virus scanner and Adaware spyware remover should pull up what you need. If you don't have a firewall, download one from www.zonelabs.com.

If nothing pops up and you have XP or 2000, stick the disk in and boot from it, skip the first time it ask you to repair the OS, then on the screen that shows the drive with the OS, then pick repair. If that doesn't fix it, and even if it does, there are a ton of critical updates you probably need anyhow as since your running the most popular OS and webrowser, well your a big target.

If all else fails use the sledgehammer.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
09-09-2003, 19:08:24
I love the sledgehammer option.

I had a firewall, replaced it with zone alarm. Now it shows an alert as soon as I try to use IE. Maybe the other firewall had just blocked it. IE still doesn't work at all. Well, back to netscape, I suppose.

No longer Trippin
09-09-2003, 20:22:39
Uninstall - don't just delete the old firewall (two software firewalls sometimes don't play nice together). Reboot. Go into zonealarm after startup and check and see if IE is enabled.

Doubleclick the taskbar icon - go to Program Control - Click on the Programs tab

You should see for IE in this order greencheck - greencheck - blue questionmark blue questionmark. If it is at those settings it should run as I haven't seen it lock up on those settings yet. G twice, blue twice

To change it, just click on the check, the question mark, or the X if you have any of those for it's permissions and set it as above and try again.

protein
09-09-2003, 20:56:36
Then click on the flower icon. This should bring up two dialogue screens. Click on the one that says "do you want to re-connect ether device" then hold down delete whilst double clicking the "connect" icon. This will put your computer into hyper-safe mode. DO NOT SWITCH YOUR LIGHTS ON ST THIS POINT. Your computer is now very sensitive to movement and light.

You should now be presented with three options:
a) safe
b) unsafe
c) 1789
If you go with the first option (A) your computer will beep and your processor speed will have doubled. If you click B then your computer screen will go green and will make strange whirring and chirping noises. If you click C then you will be sucked in to your computer monitor and will be pulled through time until you end up in 1789.

I hope this helps.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
10-09-2003, 06:34:56
Thanx for the advice, Trip.

"Uninstall - don't just delete the old firewall"

Did that.

"You should see for IE in this order greencheck - greencheck - blue questionmark blue questionmark."

Yup, that's there. But IE isn't even giving an error message now, it just plays dead.

Seems IE is totally fucked up. Maybe I'll try to reinstall it later.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
10-09-2003, 16:27:03
Now when I got home, IE suddenly works again. :clueless:

wtf...

No longer Trippin
10-09-2003, 19:41:23
hahaha Has Darkstar visited you recently?

Nav
10-09-2003, 21:24:27
Nice advice protein :D

Dyl Ulenspiegel
11-09-2003, 06:27:10
Darkstar is Crapsoftwarerepairman?

Darkstar
11-09-2003, 07:04:21
Did you reboot your system? Sometimes all those ActiveX and Java apps and wild plug ins screw up and that will frag out IE.

A broken IE doesn't work in many possible ways. But if it is broken, it won't work until you reinstall it or the OS.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
11-09-2003, 08:15:18
Some similar problems earlier went away on rebooting, but not this one. I guess it will show up again, equally suddenly.

Darkstar
11-09-2003, 08:29:43
Humm... IE just stopped being able to access the net? but it cleared up on a reboot? I've seen that before. Can be a few things...

One way, is the DDE mechanism gets fried. IE stills works, but it won't "run out" to sites when you click on their shortcuts and favorites. That clears up with a simple reboot.

Another is that IE gets caught trying to access a site, just right, when you shut it down or try to redirect it to another site via a short cut or favorite. A reboot clears that up as well.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
11-09-2003, 08:31:24
No, on this one I tried rebooting a few times, and it did not go away.

Darkstar
11-09-2003, 08:33:03
That suggests something much more registry fouled or dll conflict/destroyed.

Darkstar
11-09-2003, 08:34:11
Unless... did you mess about with IE's preferences for trying to connect when you start it up? Change the dial up prefs?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
11-09-2003, 08:34:15
Yeah, until it suddenly worked again.

No longer Trippin
11-09-2003, 22:14:23
Did you mess with it before? :)

Dyl Ulenspiegel
12-09-2003, 07:33:05
I wish, then I could say I fixed it. But no, the damn thing has a life of its own.

Now the provider is fucked up. I've installed MS latest patch, but that is just a coincidence, cause it doesn't work on the laptop's win98 either.

I hate computers.

No longer Trippin
12-09-2003, 18:24:22
MS latest Critical Update crashed my comp on setting a system restore point, now when I go into system restore, my comp crashes. Also doesn't register as the update is there in add/remove, but it doesn't register when checking for updates - so it's installed, yet not fully - well I guess I'll see how everything goes when the next worm hits.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
13-09-2003, 08:48:14
Well it works again, must have been the server.

"so it's installed, yet not fully"

That reminds me when I tried to install win98 over win95. Someone had tried it before, left some data trash, and windoze setup is convinced that win98 is already installed and just goes back to sleep. And then people wonder why society gets more violent...