PDA

View Full Version : A Man of His Word

Darkstar
09-09-2003, 00:27:51
Seeing as I've just had days and days and days free at work, waiting on IT to come around and fix my workstation that won't run after they push down their seppuki fixes and immunizations for various things, I've gotten in a lot of reading.

One of the things I've been reading is the Fantasy series "A Man of His Word" by Dave Duncan. I like that settings twist on the whole fantasy world and magic (so far). However, he does one of the things I really wonder why authors bother with...

The story revolves around the adventures of one Crown Princess and her bestest friend, one peasant horse stall mucker (main hero). And Duncan swaps back and forth between those two. I really wonder why authors do that, swap between characters, when nothing really STORYWORTHY is introduced in the side characters ("co-stars") story lines. Some authors seem to claim it's for "world building" and "plot building" but 99% of the time it's done, it's just a waste of pages. No plot is actually advanced, and the extra 40% added to the book barely adds to the "background/world". So why is it done so often? Because that is the easy way to pad out their story to minium novel length?

Corwin
10-09-2003, 15:09:29
Pretty much. I hate that as well. It's one of the reasons that I don't read much fantasy anymore. Robert Jordan being the uber-example of an author who pads the hell out of his books. I don't need a detailed description of what EVERY CHARACTER is wearing in every scene. Each book was what, 600 pages, and nothing would change. Urgh.

Darkstar
11-09-2003, 07:06:41
Jordon. Ugh. He started well in the Wheel of Time series, but... :shudder: