PDA

View Full Version : Is OCZ a reputable RAM manufacturer?

Sir Penguin
04-09-2003, 20:23:07
I've been looking at this RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9476

Is OCZ good?

Also, I know CAS latency 2 is best, but what are the other parts in the "2-2-3-6" stuff?

SP

Sir Penguin
04-09-2003, 20:28:27
Ooh, anyone want to spot me $400 for a couple of these (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9696)?

SP

MDA
04-09-2003, 20:43:45
I want to be wealthy enough to hand out money to people I "met on the internet", but I'm not. Sorry. :)

Sir Penguin
04-09-2003, 20:56:17
Cheap bastard.

SP

No longer Trippin
04-09-2003, 22:28:53
Yes they are reputable.

What motherboard are they for? What speed are you looking for?

If 2100 by it direct from crucial, they'll even tell you want ram types of theirs will go into your mb. 2700 I'd check with crucial, but if your looking for tighter timings without a vdimm increase I recommend Corsair XMS, Kingston HyperX, and Mushkin - though they cost about as much as OCZ's upper line DDR IIRC - anything higher, generally Corsair XMS as I've never had a stick fail me at it's rated speed and timings.

OCZ sticks can be REAL hard to fit into a dimm slot I've found. They seem to have the PCB just a bit to long. If your installing it in the case, you better hope you have plenty of spacers around your dimms, as I've heard of them breaking traces on boards on RARE occassions. If you pull your mobo out and set it flat, well, no worries. You just may have to fight to get it in there - though I'm assuming they have fixed this problem, but it was around when they released their first DDR 400 modules, so they had plenty of time before... They are excellent ram modules, just some of the PCB's are just a bit big for the slot.

Sir Penguin
04-09-2003, 23:17:46
Nifty, thanks. :beer:

They're for an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe. I'll be trying to hit 400 MHz, but I'll probably have to wait for winter.

SP

Sir Penguin
04-09-2003, 23:21:15
I can't believe how big a difference a name brand makes in memory price.

SP

No longer Trippin
05-09-2003, 01:56:09
The Asus will hit it with good ram and a good 333 fsb cpu. What CPU are you using... the current barton 2500's are hitting 3200 on stock vcore generally. If your overclocking go for 3200 ram since the Asus can't go over 400 FSB last time I checked and that would be DDR 400. For Corsair XMS (which I tend to use exclusively unless building a cheap system or a friend has to have some other ram) don't get the 3200LL, you can crank up the vdimm a bit with no damage to the ram (Corsairs PR rep actually has said several times that 2.8 volts is the highest they test it for and you can run it at that - but ram nearly always can take more if it's quality). Get the 3200PT2 (Cas 2 naturally), the timings are the same and you can drop those since you can raise the vdimm and your still at stock speed, just not timings. If you have to pick btw one stick of 512 and two 256 sticks, get the 512 and get another later - and even another later on if you want. Dual Channel doesn't do much, 5% increase at most, so it'd be best to hold off on that and get the 5% boost later when you can afford another 512 stick as you'll need a gig eventually if you plan on keeping the platform for any decent period of time and want to play the latest stuff on it.