PDA

View Full Version : Superpower Demo

Venom
08-02-2002, 13:19:23
Ok, I've had the Superpower demo for about a week now, just trying to get used to it and it's pretty cool. Staged an all out nuclear war on the world last night.

I hit half of Africa including Egypt for being the bastards they are, South Africa for all that aparthied shit, Somalia because they needed to be nuked, Zaire and Zimbabwe because any country that starts with a Z deserves to be nuked, and Libya because they're still Libya.

I didn't blow up my allies in Europe as I need them for a counterstrike. I did blast Russia to shit.

I nuked Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Saudia Arabia, and Yemen.

But the piece de resistance was for China and N. Korea. I absolutely leveled China. They start the game with 1.2 billion people. They ended the war with 34 million. N. Korea lost about 50 million.

I, the US of course, lost about 170 million.

Final approximate death total....1.9 billion people. Could have been a lot worse. I only fired about 1/3 of my missles and I left India and Europe alone. Oh and just for shits and giggles I nuked Australia and New Zealand.

Takes a long time to target all those missles though.

walruskkkch
08-02-2002, 17:40:46
So you got your hair mussed a bit there.

Venom
08-02-2002, 19:10:14
Yeah, but I hit first and hit hardest. Next time I'm going to shoot all my missles and kill everyone in the world. My attack timing was a little off. Had I timed it better, China would have never had a chance.

Venom
08-02-2002, 20:13:04
I saw you Darkstar. You were looking at this. go on. Post in here. You know you want to.

I've been following Superpower for a month of so now. Interesting game. Though there are several flaws in it already.

Darkstar
08-02-2002, 20:15:35
Nuke 'em!
Nuke 'em all until they glow, then shoot in the dark! :D

walruskkkch
08-02-2002, 20:38:01
"we'll meet again, don't know where. Don't know when..."

Guy
08-02-2002, 21:31:32
Just downloaded the demo, but haven't had a chance to play yet. It looks very interesting, though also quite complex.

What flaws have you seen so far, Venom? The message boards at their site were a mixed bag of opinions, with a lot of people being underwhelmed. I'll try and mess with it sometime next week.

Venom
09-02-2002, 01:47:54
There are little things, like the lack of time it takes to move military forces and such. I can just pick up 15,000 troops and their support armor and move them just like that. No extra time, no nothing. Libya could invade Washington despite the fact that they have no where near the infrastructure to accomplish this.

Also, Naval Units? What for? Boomers amd American carriers seem to the the only units capable of doing anything and I've never even seen a foreign fleet at sea.

The amount of detail in the game in marvelous, but there are things like that that slip through the cracks. With so much detail, there are bound to be pieces that don't quite fit together. That's the way it goes in real life, but unfortunately that doesn't fly in a computer game. Plus with a game this complex the demo's a bitch without a manual. My population hates me...what do I do? That happens a little bit.

Finally the interface is a little goofy. There's a lot of information splashed all over the screen and it's not really clear whats what and what you can click on and where everything is located.

I have good hopes for the game though. They seem to know there's things to work on but so far the entire combat side of things seems a little weak.

DaShi
09-02-2002, 01:48:33
I started downloading it this morning. I had to quit about halfway to go to bed though. Seriously, the file is too big for my little modem. So I'll have to rely on you guys for reviews.:cry: ;)

Qweeg
09-02-2002, 14:05:31
Why do the terms "Venom", "Megadeathcrime" and "a fondness for" seem to go together right now? this game sounds like one of them 'Risc with warheads' type games, is it? a link would be nice.

Nav
09-02-2002, 23:34:40
Originally posted by Venom
My population hates me...what do I do? That happens a little bit.I think you'll find that starting a nuclear war does shit for your popularity. :D

Venom
10-02-2002, 15:22:12
That was happening before the war. I waited until the next to last turn to start the war. The demo only lasts 20 turns.

Nav
11-02-2002, 09:26:59
This game is a highly detailed realistic simulation..... therefore if you dont invade a country nothing happens. The designers got it right but I think it will end up being boring. I'd like to be proved otherwise!

Beta1
11-02-2002, 10:23:33
i think that shows the accuracy of the simulation - even simulated people cant stand venom :)

Resource Consumer
11-02-2002, 10:30:20
Originally posted by Venom
That was happening before the war. I waited until the next to last turn to start the war. The demo only lasts 20 turns.

Can't you nuke your own population?

Aredhran
11-02-2002, 12:39:12
Yeah, teach them Venom :D

Venom
11-02-2002, 14:01:22
I didn't want to waste any of my missles on my people. I knew retaliation was going to be coming.

I didn't realize though that China had so many missles capable of reaching the US. Russia didn't even get a chance to respond. They died swiftly.

But if my population get uppity again. I may just have to try and nuke San Diego.

Funkodrom
11-02-2002, 14:16:02
1.9 billion is a decent score. Anyone managed to beat that yet?

Venom
11-02-2002, 15:05:24
That's without nuking Europe and having enough missles for a follow up strike the next turn.

Nav
11-02-2002, 15:31:56
It'd ne nice if the game reported the 'effects' of the nuclear war. The next turn it's like it never happened! :D

Venom
11-02-2002, 15:42:08
Yeah. I melted 75% of the entire planet and all the news paper lets me know is that there was a flood in Venezeula and India made internal troop movements.

Funkodrom
11-02-2002, 15:55:53
:lol: