PDA

View Full Version : Homeworld 2 gold

Nav
26-08-2003, 15:12:03
Vivendi .. blah blah .., announced today that Homeworld(R)2, blah blah.. sequel ... blah .. blah, has gone gold and will ship to UK stores late September. Full, juicy press release follows in the comments..

Nav
26-08-2003, 15:13:37
HOMEWORLD 2 GOES GOLD

Sequel to Award-Winning Space-Based Real-Time Strategy Game To Ship in the UK on 26th September

Vivendi Universal Games (VU Games) announced today that HomeworldŽ2, the sequel to 1999's award-winning, space-based real-time strategy game, Homeworld, has gone gold and will ship to UK retailers on 26th September, 2003.

Homeworld 2, the sequel to one of 1999's highly acclaimed RTS games, returns players to the helm of the most powerful space armada in the universe as they battle to keep their home. The highly-anticipated follow up title includes multiplayer competition for up to five other players, in addition to an engrossing single player saga, and features startling space effects like dust gas clouds, wispy nebulae, and ghostly derelict hulks of space ships rendered with spectacular Hollywood-style special effects.

"Homeworld 2 takes our commitment to quality to the next level, by including a number of visual improvements, as well as refinements to the gameplay and user-interface," said Dan Irish, Executive Producer of Homeworld 2. "We're excited to deliver the next chapter in the Homeworld saga, and are looking forward to seeing the fans' reactions to our improvements of the series."

Homeworld 2 is being developed by Relic Entertainment and will be available on 26th September 2003 on the PC with a PEGI "12" rating. For more information, log on to http://www.homeworld2.com.

About Relic Entertainment
Relic Entertainment Inc. is a developer of original content electronic entertainment located in Vancouver, Canada. Relic's debut product Homeworld launched in 1999 to near unanimous recognition as one of the best video games of the year. It won the "Game of the Year" from PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World's "Strategy Game of the Year." Homeworld: Cataclysm, developed by Barking Dog Studios, followed in 2000 and the Company has recently released Impossible Creatures, a 3D, Real-Time Strategy (RTS) game set in the 1930s. Relic currently has 63 employees with 3 titles under development. Relic's founder, Alex Garden, was featured in "The New Game Gods" by PC Gamer Magazine and continues to lead Relic in pioneering new and innovative products. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

About Vivendi Universal Games
Headquartered in New York, Vivendi Universal Games (www.vugames.com) is a global leader in multi-platform interactive entertainment. A leading publisher of PC, console and online-based interactive content, Vivendi Universal Games' portfolio of development studios includes Black Label Games, Blizzard Entertainment, Coktel, Fox Interactive, Knowledge Adventure, NDA Productions, Sierra Entertainment and Universal Interactive. Through its Partner Publishing Group, Vivendi Universal Games also co-publishes and/or distributes interactive products for a number of strategic partners, including Crave Entertainment, Interplay, Majesco, Mythic Entertainment and Simon & Schuster, among others.

King_Ghidra
26-08-2003, 15:33:28
Anyone play the original much? It caught my eye, and seemed to get some good reviews but i never got hold of a copy myself.

MDA
26-08-2003, 15:47:13
I never finished the last couple of missions in the first one. It got extremely difficult. You could often complete a mission successfully, but not have enough of a fleet left to finish the next one.

Venom
26-08-2003, 18:45:06
Goddamn devil bastards.

Nav
26-08-2003, 21:42:05
First one blew me away. Graphics were amazing. I spent hours just looking at the ships and stuff. Game was damn hard though, never finished it.

Brilliant skirmish mode, spent most of my time playing that.

Darkstar
26-08-2003, 22:15:01
Homeworld was a real yawner.

As soon as you got into the game, the graphics stopped being anything special. Just like any other game's eye candy.

Homeworld was just basic RTS... you'd play the scenarios a few times because 99% of them were basic puzzle ones, like any other SP RTS campaign mode. You learned the scenario, beat it, go to the next, and discover you needed to make a few things two scenarios ago and bring them through untouched the scenario you just played, and have to go back up.

Other then that, you spent 90% of the game in pause mode. PAUSE! Render orders. UNPAUSE for 1/10 second. Enemy or your ship blows up. Repeat.

It was boring as all hell as soon as that first cool rush wore off. Poor scenario design. It depended entirely on cool factor of standard RTS set in space. And I'm a space freak, keep that in mind.

I expect HW2 will be more of the same. Just updated eye candy.

Shining1
27-08-2003, 02:26:28
I have a friend who definitely liked it. I will probably check it out.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-08-2003, 15:35:42
MDA: How could you run out of ships? There was a mission in there where somethingorother was surrounded by about a hundred ion bean ships. With patience and a bit of luck and skill, and some salvage corvettes, you could capture them all and not worry about resources ever again :)

DS: It wasn't THAT bad. I didn't spend anywhere near that much time in pause mode. Maybe your reflexes are shot? :D

I'll admit it did have some drawbacks, the biggest of which (for me) was the lack of any kind of "fast forward" system. If you finish the mission but are left with a ton of resources left to collect, it takes forever. If there are no threats, you should just be able to cycle up the speed and watch it happen in under a minute.

MDA
27-08-2003, 16:02:15
I did go back and spend lots of time harvesting ion beam ships from that giant sphere of them with salvage corvettes, I think that's where I got bored/frustrated and decided it wasn't worth it anymore. That field of ships you HAD to capturee to get through the next missions was a rotten way to extend the "hours of play". Missed out on the end of the story, which was fairly well done IIRC, even if there were no memorable surprises in it.

I actually began the game without using salvage corvettes, and bogged down many missions into it. Then I found some walkthrough/hint site that recommended them and restarted.

That's the only 3D RTS game I ever played, but like Darkstar pointed out, it was a pause-issue order-play strategy game in single player.

Freespace2 was far more fun as a space game, although there was no strategy to that.

Darkstar
27-08-2003, 23:17:15
Qaj, reflexes? What reflexes? Like most SP RTS games, scenario success often depended on optimal efficency of use of your units. And that was all swarm tactics. As soon as the action started, your battle groups broke apart, and suddenly, half of Group 1 was better off shooting at target G while the other half continue to gun for A, joined by 1/4 of Group 2 and Group 3. Concentration of fire on nearest target was the #1 tactic in that game. Now, the replays of all that action looked very nice... like the SW: Return of the Jedi combat sequences. But that was the only nice thing AIR. And you had to do that, if you played past "brain dead", IIRC.

It really suffered from the lack of fast foward after you'd finished off all combat, but still had to collect X amount of resources. Bleah. But the Pause-Give Orders-Unpause until something blew up-repeat really got monotonous. Hell, the whole game was pretty monotonous, from what I recall. I remembered I liked some of the in-game cinematics, but they weren't anything special. Others were just bleah though. And the plot was very dry and standard, IIRC...

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
28-08-2003, 16:49:09
Well, then, you should be looking forward to Homeworld 2 because sequels are always better than the originals :)

Cumber
30-08-2003, 03:45:02
I don't think I ever paused (except when I actually needed to pause to go do something else), and it really wasn't that difficult. But then I also played it multiplayer where there is no pause, so I wasn't so spoiled as to be able to get used to playing like that. :p But seriously if you're going to abuse a feature that way and then complain that it makes the game boring... why the hell were you doing it? Not at all necessary. My big complaint about Homeworld was that it got boring once you learnt all the braindead things the AI does. Like *let*you capture that giant sphere of ion frigates one by one (not that I ended up doing that... when I played it the sphere slowly drifted away from their post and most of them wound out outside the area I was allowed to give orders in (though the closest ones would still shoot me if I got close enough... bastards). But yes, I do agree that once the "woah, it's in space and truly 3d!" factor wore off (and you realised it was more like 2.7d :)) nothing in the game was all that special. Fun for a good while though. :)

Darkstar
30-08-2003, 05:36:13
That was one of Homeworld's selling points, Cumber. Being "TBS" compatible by allowing people to pause and give orders.

I'm not big on RTSes anymore. I still like the occasional RTS, but... Homeworld wasn't anything special, after you got used to its eye-candy. It was just one more RTS...

Now, if you liked HW, you'll probably like HW2 so it will be your cup of tea. Me, I might pick it up on the $1 - $3 shelf at Best Buy. But not before. Because I just didn't find HW that interesting.

Whatever floats your boat, and all that...

Cumber
31-08-2003, 10:53:09
It was? I missed most of the initial marketting stuff for Homeworld. I think I impulse bought it once it had dropped to around AUS$40-50. But I can see that. I just wouldn't be calling it a defining feature of the game that you have to play it like you described, even if you can. Cause as you said, not fun. :)

And I'll probably pick up HW2 at about the same time you do. Too little money, too many more promising looking things (not all games) crying out for it.

Nav
03-09-2003, 14:08:16
of course you could pick up the demo for free.

it due to be released today (or tonight).

Nav
07-09-2003, 22:47:37
I had a go with the demo, I was intially quite sceptical, it is very much like the previous one. More of a refinement, a tweak, than something completely new (I guess to be expected). The graphics are sumptious and work well on my ageing 1.2ghz geforce 3 machine. Anyway I've taken a few screenshots, to capture them in their full glory.

NASA v. The Evil Coca-Cola Corporation (click to view large)

http://www.counterglow.com/upload/nav/homeworld2_1_small.jpg (http://www.counterglow.com/upload/nav/homeworld2_1.jpg)
NASA goes boldly on the attack.

http://www.counterglow.com/upload/nav/homeworld2_2_small.jpg (http://www.counterglow.com/upload/nav/homeworld2_2.jpg)
Woot! Carrier destroyed!

http://www.counterglow.com/upload/nav/homeworld2_3_small.jpg (http://www.counterglow.com/upload/nav/homeworld2_3.jpg)
Eh? A Star Wars Speeder on an offensive run?

http://www.counterglow.com/upload/nav/homeworld2_4_small.jpg (http://www.counterglow.com/upload/nav/homeworld2_4.jpg)
Whatever.. Weeeeeeeee! BOOOOM!

http://www.counterglow.com/upload/nav/homeworld2_5_small.jpg (http://www.counterglow.com/upload/nav/homeworld2_5.jpg)
The Coca-cola corporation in the throes of death