PDA

View Full Version : Natalie Merchant - Motherland

Scud Wallaby
13-11-2001, 20:41:41
New Natalie album released yesterday in the UK. I knew this was going to be a good one when I first heard it about 24 hours ago and thought it sucked like a vacuum cleaner in a black hole. Most of my favourites have started out that way. (Note for Aredhran... I hated the Cranberries with a vengeance for months shortly before they became one of my all time favourites).

There's not a track on there to beat my all time favourite record of all time ever ever in the history of the universe - Frozen Charlotte on Natalies "Ophelia" album, but a couple stand out. As a recent discoverer of the delights of Jazz and Blues, "Put The Law on You" was right up my street with some truly gorgeous Sax and rising vocals that send me away.

"Henry Darger" is pretentious crap - i'll probably love it in a week if I can bring myself to listen to the simpering wallowfest.

"Tell Yourself" and "Just Can't Last" are classic Natalie, easy music that builds and sneaks up on you.

Anyway; i'm crap at reviews. If I like something I just like it and can't really say why. If you already like Natalie, then you'll like this (maybe not the first time you hear it but...)

If you don't like Natalie then this won't win you round.

If you want to try Natalie then I recommend going to your favourite file sharing client and downloading "Life is Sweet", "Carnival", "Beloved Wife" and "Put The Law On You", and seeing what you think.

-Scud-

Resource Consumer
13-11-2001, 22:15:24
OK, a question from an old man.

I get the impressio that young Natalie is no longer young Natalie and does not sing like a chipmunk. So has she adopten the roasted lungs of a hardened jazz singer yet or just sings like a chipmunk in hibernation.

Not a slagging off cos I thought 10,000Ms were pretty good, just a loaded question.:)

Scud Wallaby
13-11-2001, 22:45:52
Hmmm - well my recommendations all came from Natalies solo albums, mainly because I think she has a different style now in comparison to her 10,000 Maniac's days.

I too liked the Maniac's but prefer her solo stuff.

But to answer your question - she hasn't quite got the roasted lungs huskiness yet... (can't wait for that day) and she does sing like a chipmunk in "Henry Darger".... kind of.... Either way her voice has certainly matured.

Just a side issue but when you said you thought the 10,000 Maniac's were O.K. am I right in thinking you were a fan of "The Sundays"?

-Scud-

Resource Consumer
13-11-2001, 23:13:25
"I once kicked a boy"

I loved the first album, the second was fine but didn't have the same charm. Wow, I'll have to dig those out as part of Mrs RC's musical edication course.

Scud Wallaby
13-11-2001, 23:24:00
Yeah, I agree. "Blind" was good in it's own right but was a disappointment after the first. "Hideous Towns" and "My Finest Hour" were just great!

"Static and Silence" was their third album - have you heard it? Different from the first two - not so raw and folky but it's really grown on me - let me know if you want a copy (for evaluation only of course ;) )

Love that woman's voice.

-Scud-

Resource Consumer
13-11-2001, 23:53:42
Now, I did not know that. It took them so long (5+ years) to come up with blind.

I would be interested to evaluate if that is possible.

I never got over Harriet Wheeler from years ago.

PosterBoy
14-11-2001, 11:48:45
I've got Natalies album tigerlilly and really like that, haven't got ophelia yet, the sunday's first album was cool, hated everything else they've done since.

Some bands should stop after the first album

Dave Stewart and the spiritual cowboys did just one album and it was cracking and luckily they left it there, as I don't think they would have bettered it.

Counting Crows were lucky with their second album as the first is a classic but the third sucks.

Scud Wallaby
15-11-2001, 19:12:01
Originally posted by PosterBoy
Counting Crows were lucky with their second album as the first is a classic but the third sucks.

Not sure about the third, but I do love "Mrs. Potter's Lullaby." The first though was truly classic.

Originally posted by Resource Consumer
I would be interested to evaluate if that is possible.

I never got over Harriet Wheeler from years ago.

No probs - PM me where to send a copy. (the album... not Harriet unfortunately).

-Scud-

Scud Wallaby
15-11-2001, 19:13:49
Originally posted by PosterBoy
I've got Natalies album tigerlilly and really like that, haven't got ophelia yet.

p.s. Same thing goes for you Posterboy - if you want to ahem... evaluate "Ophelia" let me know!

-Scud-

Spartak
04-05-2002, 23:21:45
Is this singer in the music babes tourney?

The Mad Monk
05-05-2002, 07:24:17
I beleive she is.

I have Tigerlily and enjoy it. I never thought she sang like a chipmonk -- are there examples of this on Tigerlily?.

Lazarus and the Gimp
05-05-2002, 08:29:37
For what I think is Natalie Merchant's best ever vocal- check out "Birds and Ships" on the Billy Bragg/Wilco album "Mermaid Avenue-volume 1".

MBloom
09-05-2002, 02:35:36
Originally posted by Spartak
Is this singer in the music babes tourney?

Oh yes.

I nominated her and she was thankfully 2nd' enough to qualify.

I still haven't warmed up to her solo stuff the way i did to the maniacs stuff. Our Time In Eden must be my most played CD. Granted, I like her solo music, I just think the band helped her stay grounded somewhat.

One of the greatest songs nobody has ever heard of is Bread and Circuses co-written with Billy Bragg on his CD single You Woke Up My Neighborhood.