PDA

View Full Version : Anyone game for an Angband Challenge?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
07-02-2002, 00:44:17
Angband Challenge 11 is in the works. MDA and SP will know what this means, and so would Cumber if he wasn't galavanting around the world.

If the rest of you are interested, or just want to find out what Angband is, check out Thangorodrim (http://thangorodrim.angband.org/) for a description and downloads.

Quickly, Angband is kind of but not really the precursor to Diablo. It's a dungeon-crawling game similar to NetHack and Rogue based on the works of Tolkien, with many of the characters from Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit in it. Essentially it's an ASCII-based game, but don't let that fool you - it's got more gameplay than many of today's glitzy titles.

It can take some time to get into the game, since it has a fairly steep learning curve. You'll keep learning things about it even if you manage to finish a game (which, after 8 years of playing on and off, I still haven't managed to do :D ).

It's strictly single player, so the original Challenges were created to provide a sort-of multiplayerness to the game. Still, it's one of the more addictive games I've ever played. And you can't beat the price (free!) I highly recommend it.

Foetus
07-02-2002, 01:05:25
Here's my Boy. Morgoth didn't know what hit him.

Name : Folin Age : 50 STR : 18/***
Race : Dwarf Height : 50 INT : 18/***
Sex : Male Weight : 150 WIS : 18/***
Class : Priest Social Class : 44 DEX : 18/***
Title : **KING** CON : 18/***
CHR : 18/***

+ To Hit : 47 Level : 100 Max Hit Points : 1399
+ To Damage : 53 Experience : 19104241 Cur Hit Points : 1399
+ To AC : 94 Max Exp : 19104241 Max Mana : 789
Total AC : 136 Exp to Adv.: **** Cur Mana : 789
Gold : 4295185

(Miscellaneous Abilities)
Fighting : Legendary Stealth : Very Good Perception : Poor
Bows/Throw : Legendary Disarming : Legendary Searching : Fair
Saving Throw: Legendary Magic Device: Legendary Infra-Vision: 1330 feet

Character Background
You are the only child of a Dwarven Miner. You are a
credit to the family. You have dark brown eyes, straight
black hair, a two foot beard, and a dark complexion.

[Character's Equipment List]

a) Wielding : The Mighty Hammer 'Grond' (9d9) (+5,+25) [+10] (-10 to speed)
b) Shooting : The Light Crossbow 'Cubragol' (x4) (+7,+8) (+10 to speed)
c) On left hand : The Ring of Power (Narya) (+1)
d) On right hand : a Ring of Speed (+19)
e) Around neck : The Necklace of the Dwarves (+3)
f) Light source : The Arkenstone of Thrain
g) On body : The Full Plate Armour of Isildur [25,+21]
h) About body : The Shadow Cloak of Tuor [6,+9] (+4 to stealth)
i) On arm : The Small Metal Shield of Thorin [3,+11] (+4)
j) On head : The Massive Iron Crown of Morgoth [0,+0] (+125) {cursed}
k) On hands : The Set of Cesti of Fingolfin (+9,+8) [5,+19] (+4)
l) On feet : a Pair of Hard Leather Boots of Speed [3,+7] (+6)

[General Inventory List]

a) 5 Holy Books of Prayers [Beginners Handbook]
b) 7 Holy Books of Prayers [Words of Wisdom]
c) 4 Holy Books of Prayers [Chants and Blessings]
d) 4 Holy Books of Prayers [Exorcism and Dispelling]
e) 5 Holy Books of Prayers [Ethereal Openings]
f) 4 Holy Books of Prayers [Godly Insights]
g) 5 Holy Books of Prayers [Purifications and Healing]
h) 6 Holy Books of Prayers [Holy Infusions]
i) 2 Scrolls of *Identify*
j) a Rod of Speed
k) The Hard Leather Cap of Thranduil [2,+9] (+2)
l) The Metal Cap of Thengel [3,+8] (+3)
m) a Mace of Disruption of Slay Evil (5d8) (+1,+3) {Bad Mutha}

[Home Inventory]

a) 2 Potions of Restore Constitution
b) a Potion of Restore Life Levels
c) a Scroll of *Remove Curse*
d) a Scroll of Recharging
e) The Ring of Barahir (+1)
f) The Ring of Power (Nenya) (+2)
g) The Amulet of Carlammas (+2)
h) Chaos Dragon Scale Mail (-2) [30,+15]
i) Adamantite Plate Mail of Elvenkind (-4) [40,+21] (+1 to stealth)
j) The Set of Leather Gloves 'Cammithrim' [1,+9]
k) The Spear 'Aeglos' (3d6) (+5,+15) (+4)
l) 11 Bolts of Fire (5d5) (+10,+20)

a) 20 Seeker Bolts (8d5) (+17,+14)
b) 15 Seeker Bolts of Fire (4d5) (+19,+17)

Shining1
07-02-2002, 02:52:56
This is depressingly like Diablo...

Darkstar
07-02-2002, 09:23:07
A Dungeon Crawl!

I'd be interested... but your link isn't providing any information at the moment. Have to try again later...

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
07-02-2002, 18:19:38
What a pleasant message you get by clicking that link. :bash:

In the meantime, why not check out http://www.zangband.org/, one of the variants of Angband. It's like Angband on steriods, but it generally the same game (it's based on the same source code, but tremendously expanded.

Hopefully, Thangorodrim'll be up sometime soon.

MDA
07-02-2002, 20:14:18
I just learned that your characters aren't limited to level 50! :eek:

Never having passed the low 40's myself, I didn't know. All depends on the variant, I suppose.

Don't know if I can put down Wiz8 and Diablo II long enough to play, but I'll try. At least until Morrowind comes out.:)

Greg W
07-02-2002, 21:30:08
What exactly would be the details of said Challenge 11? Just in broad terms. Never played it myself, but may give it a go...

Foetus
08-02-2002, 00:44:05
If you like Angband, I take it you've tried:

Rogue
Nethack
Larn
Moria
Alphaman
Omega
ADOM

I've finished Larn and Moria, was very close to finishing Nethack, keep dying a lot in ADOM and can't figure out Omega to save my life.

Shining1
08-02-2002, 00:50:14
Finishing Moria is impressive. Furthest I ever got was to meet my first dragon. That did not go well.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
08-02-2002, 00:55:04
(I should have included this info. in the first post...)

The Challenges started out when I ripped off the original idea and convinced a couple of ACOL people to join in. Basically, I made sure we were all running the same version of Angband, rolled up a simple character, and tried to see who could get their character to the highest character level (CLevel) without save-reload (or other style of) cheating. You could play the character as much as you liked, but you had to start from scratch every time he was killed.

Initially, there were four of us. MDA, SP, Cumber and myself. I did challenge one, then everyone else got one character. After that, the winner got to roll up the character.

ZAngband (an Angband variant) got a look in for a few Challenges since it offered more in the way of initial option (there are 32 races as opposed to Angbands 10, for instance) and was substantially harder. I think the hardest character we played was a ZAngband character that no-one could get past CLevel six :)

Apart from the "no cheats!" rule, there were a few settings that couldn't be changed (such as if intelligent monsters are switched on, you can't turn them off, and vice versa, or if auto scum is off it stays off, but other options like "target last monster by default" are user-definable), and the 14 day time limit. Once the time limit was up, only the character dumps (see Foetus's post for a typical character dump) posted before the deadline were taken into account.

For Challenge 11, to try to get some more people interested, I've reverted back to Angband 2.9.3, and have a basic human warrior set to go. With any luck, they'll bring the Thangorodrim server back up sometime soon so people can at least download the game and give it a bit of a test play to see if they want to take part.

Starting with Challenge 11, I'll even create a results chart/leaderboard to track the participants' scores and results, something I didn't do before because there weren't enough of us.

Don't post a CD unless your character is DEAD, or it's your final entry, which can be live. We don't want no progressive accounts in the Challenge thread! Only results need apply, thank you.

This is NOT the official Challenge thread. I shall put the link up for people to follow when I announce it in it's own thread. This is just a call to gauge interest at the moment.

And now I've said that, I'm going to upload the Angband binaries for Windows machines (hey, it's the one I play) so you can grab it without waiting for the server to come up. Stay posted, I'll give you a link in a few minutes...

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
08-02-2002, 01:01:46
Okay. The file is on my "homepage", http://www.geocities.com/qaj_stars/

I'll start the Challenge on Monday, anyone who's interested please post "aye" or something similar in THIS thread. A new thread will appear when the Challenge is officially announced.

Greg W
08-02-2002, 01:47:11
"Aye".

For the first challenge I imagine I'll just be learning it too much to do much, but it'll be a bit of fun anyway. :)

I just realised - binaries. Have to compile it, huh? Hmm, where to get a 'C' compiler...

Darkstar
08-02-2002, 07:56:32
"aye!"

Binaries? When he said binaries, I presumed he meant executables.

However, if someone gives me the SOURCE, I can compile you an executable for Win32 OSes. No problem. And post the executables on my personal web site.

Does this ascii game set need ANSI.sys installed? I would presume so, considering Alphaman and ADOM and Nethack do, IIRC.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
08-02-2002, 17:51:42
The source is available on Thangorodrim (which is now up! - hurrah!) And yes, I meant executables, sorry. Duh! :clueless:

DS, it probably does need ANSI.sys, since it's primarily an ASCII-display. You can enable some rudimentary graphics, and for the longest time I plaed it with gfx on. But after I'd switched to ASCII-only, it got a bit easier.

The version on my page is the Win 95/98/NT version. There are also separate versions for Windows CE, MS-DOS, Mac, Amiga, RISC, OS/2, Linux, BeOS, Atari (Mint), Silison Graphics and Solaris. I recommend, now that the site is up, you get your download from there.

There is also a much more graphical and mouse-driven AngbandTk, but I wouldn't recommend it as it works a little differently from regular Angband in the way it handles some of the on-screen events. Plus I find that keyboard operation (yes, folks, it a keyboard driven game!) is much more efficient.

Current players look like:

MDA
Darkstar
Greg W
Qaj

Anyone else?

Maybe Foetus? And, while I'm asking, which version of Angband is that? I was not aware that Angband went up to level 100 either. So it strikes me that either that's a REALLY old version, a modified version, or they've put in some changes since the last version I downloaded.

To answer your question, I've played Moria, Nethack and Omega. And I never worked out Omega either :) But that could also have been due to the lousy Amiga port I was using at the time.

Foetus
09-02-2002, 19:38:49
Angband version 2.7.6

I think you automatically gain the rank King and jump to level 100 when you defeat Morgoth and win the game.

And definitely check out ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery) for it is very good.

Sir Penguin
10-02-2002, 08:30:12
Aye. Just so long as we don't have to post our dumps.

I've been looking for an excuse to build an Angband variant on my machine :) (Gnometris and Gtali get a little dull after a while).

And I'd just like to point out that the Angband challenges REALLY started (or at least had their roots) when I posted a story and screenshot about my best Rogue game ever (after a good 13 or so years of playing) and how I stupidly got killed by a measly Jabberwock :(. I think I was one level above Master Rogue, with something over 5000 Au. Don't want Qaj to be misrepresenting the history of ACOL or anything :).

SP

Greg W
10-02-2002, 21:32:31
Heh, I had a bit of a looksee at the website for Zangband over the weekend. Looks like I'm in for a bit of a steep learning curve. :D

My only problem really will be finding the time, but I'll see what I can do. Damned cricket semi/finals over the next two weekends (both days) are going to limit my time. Should still be a bit of fun tho. :)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
11-02-2002, 17:48:31
I'll start the Challenge on Monday, anyone who's interested please post "aye" or something similar in THIS thread. A new thread will appear when the Challenge is officially announced.

Well, it's Monday, and it looks like we've got maybe six people. Perhaps after a round or two more people will join in when they see what fun we're having :) Now go look (if you haven't already) for the new post.

MDA
11-02-2002, 18:02:02
Zangband can be a bit easier than Angband early on - more magic weapons, and it seems to be easier to collect your basic 4 resistances. Then you run into a vault full of jellies and Tome's of Raal and they ruin your whole day because YOU WERE TOO STUPID TO RUN AWAY!!!!! Ahem. I'm not bitter or anything.

I played Rouge for about half an hour when I first came across SP's post on ACOL, then switched to Angband later, then Zangband later still (chaos warriors!). I've tried the Pern variant, but its still buggy as hell.

Warriors are fun, but kind of tough later in the game. Should be a good hook to get people interested, since they can hack through most of the early monsters, no problem.

Lady_of_Chicken
12-02-2002, 04:40:02
This is Qaj, I can't be bothered changing my wife's login to mine.

MDA, that was pretty much my rationale for picking a human warrior. True, you don't get infravision, but you do get fast levelling, can survive easily early on and get decently average stats. A nice average character to start with.

ZAngband is easier if oyu have some survival skills. But if you start it out like you would with Angband, you can come to a sticky end even as early as DLevel 4.

I don't know if anyone's DLed the character yet. I'm hoping someone will post an early death character soon to encourage others to post.

PS. Is Rouge the game where you earn AU by dungeon crawling with a prositute? :D

Darkstar
12-02-2002, 07:09:02
There's a Pocket PC version? ROTFLMAO! Cool!

Sir Penguin
13-02-2002, 20:42:26
[Angband 2.9.3 Character Dump]

Name Root Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 27 STR: 15 -2 +2 +0 15
Race Hobbit Height 37 INT: 14 +2 +1 +0 17
Class Rogue Weight 60 WIS: 11 +1 -2 +0 10
Title Filcher Status 63 DEX: 15 +3 +3 +3 18/60
HP -7/199 Maximize Y CON: 14 +2 +1 +0 17
SP 16/20 Preserve Y CHR: 12 +1 -1 +0 12

Level 23 Armor [18,+23] Saving Throw Superb
Cur Exp 13191 Fight (+3,+0) Stealth Superb
Max Exp 13191 Melee (+12,+8) Fighting Heroic
Adv Exp 13770 Shoot (+10,+7) Shooting Heroic
Blows 1/turn Disarming Superb
Gold 34365 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Superb
Perception Superb
Burden 142.4 lbs Infra 40 ft Searching Superb

You are one of several children of a Hobbit Burglar. You
are a credit to the family. You have brown eyes, straight
red hair, and a dark complexion.

[Character Equipment]

a) a Scimitar (Defender) (2d5) (+9,+8) [+6] (+1 to stealth)
It sustains your dexterity.
b) a Light Crossbow (x3) (+7,+7)
c) a Zircon Ring of Dexterity (+3)
d) a Quartz Ring of Slow Digestion
e) an Agate Amulet of Searching (+6)
f) The Phial of Galadriel
It can be activated for...
illumination
...if it is being worn.
It provides light (radius 3) forever.
g) Leather Scale Mail (-1) [11,+0]
h) a Cloak [1,+2]
i) a Small Leather Shield of Resistance [2,+6]
j) a Hard Leather Cap [2,+2]
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots [2,+4]

[Character Inventory]

a) a Book of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners]
b) a Book of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks]
c) a Black Mushroom of Cure Poison
d) a Dark Green Mushroom of Unhealth
e) a Vermilion Potion of Speed
f) a Green Potion of Lose Memories
g) 10 Scrolls titled "gopwah rogski" of Phase Door
h) 5 Scrolls titled "bekviv ner" of Word of Recall {50% off}
i) a Scroll titled "x regop" of Satisfy Hunger
j) a Scroll titled "ridok biebek" of Monster Confusion
k) a Scroll titled "nis glen itsna" of Teleportation
l) 2 Nickel-Plated Rods of Trap Location
m) a Cast Iron Rod of Door/Stair Location
n) a Nickel Wand of Stinking Cloud (3 charges) {40% off}
o) a Steel-Plated Wand of Lightning Bolts (14 charges)
p) a Walnut Staff of Perception (0 charges)
q) a Sabre (Defender) (1d7) (+7,+10) [+6] (+3 to stealth) {@0}
It sustains your charisma.
r) a Tulwar of Slay Evil (2d4) (+6,+2)
s) a Scimitar (Holy Avenger) (2d5) (+9,+11) [+4] (+1)
It sustains your intelligence.
t) a Battle Axe (2d8) (+3,+2)
u) a Shovel (1d2) (+0,+0) (+1) {@0}
v) 15 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {=g}
w) 51 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0)

[Home Inventory]

a) a Book of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions]
b) 7 Rations of Food
c) 3 Dark Green Potions of Restore Life Levels
d) an Orange Speckled Potion of Restore Intelligence
e) an Oily Yellow Potion of Restore Wisdom
f) 12 Scrolls titled "bekviv ner" of Word of Recall
g) a Scroll titled "doe ulker" of Remove Curse
h) 3 Scrolls titled "x regop" of Satisfy Hunger
i) 2 Walnut Staffs of Perception (0 charges)
j) 39 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0)

I wish I had known that I had that teleportation scroll :(. I was stuck next to a black orc, with no healing except for from my spellbook. I tried the CLW spell, but it failed. I ought to have used one of my PD scrolls (but it probably would have taken me to the room with the rest of the orcs and giants). And I so wanted to get all those cool spells in Incantations and Illusions :(.

SP

Greg W
13-02-2002, 21:49:23
Um, SP, isn't the whole idea that you're supposed to use the warrior character that Qaj ran up? Or am I missing something here? :clueless:

Darkstar
13-02-2002, 22:56:19
You are not missing anything.

SP just had to tell someone about his Root the Hobbit Burglar. ;)

Sir Penguin
13-02-2002, 23:18:05
Damn right :). Qaj's guy goes in the other thread.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
14-02-2002, 00:42:59
Hey, neat. I didn't realise that 2.9.3 dumped your artifact/ego characteristics too. Unless you pasted that in manually, SP, in which case it needs to be in there!

Sir Penguin
14-02-2002, 04:23:12
The game did that. I'd like to say that I had that much innovative skill, but it's just not the case :).

Darkstar: Filcher, please. Burgler is so... common :).

SP

DaShi
17-02-2002, 05:56:17
This looks interesting. I might get involved in the next challenge. Right now, I can't get my High Elf Ranger above level 5. :( Baulder's Gate spoiled me. I'm far too reckless, pluc I don't know how difficult the monsters are. Spent one game simply running away from a Giant Kobold. I thought, "Kobold, no problem." Ech!

Darkstar
19-02-2002, 19:25:00
Don't feel bad Dashi. This is the first I've ever played AngBand, but I'm certainly not new to Roguelike games... You do get spoiled to how easy it is to walk over things... so when you start a new character, and those 'was there something there?' critters wipe the floor with you, it's generally a shock. :D Until you get your new character up past them being a danger.

I've decided that AngBand sucks, for the 'magical' characters. It's a royal pain having to remember what spell is in what book. Pardon? For fighting types, it is a lot of fun. But mages and priest (and any spell use for other casters)? Just a pain in the ass.

So after Magilla's challenge is done, I'll go hunting through the newer games, see what catches my interest.

Other then that? Angband is be far the easiest dungeon crawl I've ever played.

DaShi
20-02-2002, 00:51:14
The ranger allows for a few spells, while keeping the combat strengths. Though I was killed at level 11 by lice! Those things breed like, well lice. I swear the entire level must have been full of them by the end.

Darkstar
20-02-2002, 08:45:30
BTW... as I was asked to post a 'current status' of Magilla, I'll just do it here...

[Angband 2.9.3 Character Dump]

Name Magilla Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 18 STR: 16 +0 +5 +0 18/30
Race Human Height 70 INT: 13 +0 -2 +0 11
Class Warrior Weight 186 WIS: 12 +0 -2 +0 10
Title Champion Status 1 DEX: 18 +0 +2 +0 18/20
HP 382/382 Maximize Y CON: 16 +0 +2 +0 18
SP 0/0 Preserve N CHR: 11 +0 -1 +0 10

Level 26 Armor [31,+10] Saving Throw Excellent
Cur Exp 24216 Fight (+3,+5) Stealth Poor
Max Exp 24216 Melee (+12,+14) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 25000 Shoot (+12,+9) Shooting Heroic
Blows 1/turn Disarming Excellent
Gold 12224 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Very Good
Perception Poor
Burden 133.3 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Poor

You are one of several children of a Serf. You are the
black sheep of the family. You have hazel eyes, straight
blond hair, and an average complexion.

[Character Equipment]

a) a Two-Handed Sword (3d6) (+9,+9)
b) a Long Bow (x3) (+9,+9)
c) an Aquamarine Ring of Sustain Strength
d) a Mithril Ring of Sustain Dexterity
e) a Bone Amulet of Slow Digestion
f) a Brass Lantern (with 7105 turns of light)
It provides light (radius 2) when fueled.
g) Metal Brigandine Armour (-3) [19,+2]
h) a Cloak [1,+3]
i) a Large Leather Shield [4] {uncursed}
j) (nothing)
k) a Set of Leather Gloves of Slaying (+2,+2) [1,+2]
l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots [6,+1]

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Pieces of Elvish Waybread
b) 9 Flasks of oil
c) 3 Gloopy Green Potions of Neutralize Poison
d) 7 Metallic Purple Potions of Speed
e) 9 Orange Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
f) 10 Smoky Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
g) 7 Scrolls titled "sefti garala" of Word of Recall
h) 8 Scrolls titled "yergite sefzun" of Satisfy Hunger
i) an Aluminum-Plated Rod of Illumination
j) a Runed Rod of Sleep Monster
k) a Zirconium Rod of Fire Bolts
l) a Platinum Rod of Lightning Balls
m) a Silver Wand of Stinking Cloud (10 charges)
n) a Mithril Wand of Fire Bolts (12 charges)
o) a Cedar Staff of Perception
p) a Shovel (1d2) (+5,+2) (+1)
q) 37 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0)

[Home Inventory]

a) 32 Hard Biscuits
b) 72 Strips of Beef Jerky
c) 19 Rations of Food
d) 32 Flasks of oil
e) 13 Gloopy Green Potions of Neutralize Poison
f) 12 Metallic Purple Potions of Speed
g) 4 Silver Speckled Potions of Restore Life Levels
h) a Brown Potion of Restore Strength
i) 2 Clotted Red Potions of Restore Intelligence
j) 2 Shimmering Potions of Restore Dexterity
k) 2 Vermilion Potions of Restore Constitution
l) an Oily Yellow Potion of Restore Charisma
m) 9 Scrolls titled "sefti garala" of Word of Recall
n) a Scroll titled "manion mon org" of Identify
o) 3 Scrolls titled "goperk oviv" of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
p) a Scroll titled "soyerg wergban" of Enchant Weapon To-Dam
q) 2 Scrolls titled "adok vivjo" of Recharging
r) 5 Scrolls titled "yergite sefzun" of Satisfy Hunger
s) a Nickel-Plated Rod of Light
t) a Nickel Rod of Cold Balls
u) a Cedar Staff of Perception
v) a Pearl Ring of Teleportation {uncursed}
w) an Alexandrite Ring of Slow Digestion
x) a Garnet Ring of Free Action

[Options]

Adult: Allow purchase of stats using points : no (adult_point_based)
Adult: Allow specification of minimal stats : yes (adult_auto_roller)
Adult: Maximize effect of race/class bonuses : yes (adult_maximize)
Adult: Preserve artifacts when leaving level : no (adult_preserve)
Adult: Restrict the use of stairs/recall : no (adult_ironman)
Adult: Restrict the use of stores/home : no (adult_no_stores)
Adult: Restrict creation of artifacts : no (adult_no_artifacts)
Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts (beta): no (adult_rand_artifacts)
Score: Peek into object creation : no (score_peek)
Score: Peek into monster creation : no (score_hear)
Score: Peek into dungeon creation : no (score_room)
Score: Peek into something else : no (score_xtra)
Score: Know complete monster info : no (score_know)
Score: Allow player to avoid death : no (score_live)

Not a Death dump. Or I'd put it in the proper thread.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
20-02-2002, 19:31:03
Ouch! Lack of formatting! My poor brain! :)

DS, what's the maximum depth you've had Magilla? By looking at the dump, you REALLY need some better equipment. The only {excellent} equipment you have are your gloves! By level 26, you really should have just about everything being an ego-item with the occasional artifact. This suggests to me you're not going deep enough for your character level.

You're also hoarding a load of useless equipment in your house, with the minor food items being the worst offenders. I don't know of anyone who buys wine or biscuits, and you certainly have enough food for at least 10 trips to the dungeon. Ditch the garbage, buy up more rations and scroll of Satisfy Hunger. It'll give you some extra house slots.

Sustain rings are fairly useless, and you should only really use them if you haven't found any others. The rings in your house are better, so sell the sustains and wear the other two.

You're carrying no escape magic. This will prove to be your downfall eventually.

Upgrade your bow. If you need to burn some of that money, enchant your ammo. Engraving it will make it easier to fire, too.

Your main weapon is nice, but you're only getting one blow per round with it. You do an average of 16.5 damage per round. With a lighter weapon, encahnted up to maximum, you could be doing as much as 24 damage per round.

Your AC is low - enchant your armor!

Identify your staves.

Engrave your rods - it'll help you zap them, and also will prevent you from selling or dropping them. @z1!k!d!v, for instance. Also start carrying Trap Detection rods - it'll help you avoid traps that lower your stats.

You're carrying a good amount of Recall scrolls - this is a good thing, especially if your at fire-breather depths. Nothing worse than carrying only one scroll, and having it toasted by a creature or trap.

Darkstar
20-02-2002, 23:50:54
Sorry about forgetting to put in the code tags. I'll fix it later.

Qaj, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. But...

First off, You seem to be forgetting that I'm an actual NEWBIE at AngBand, even though I have tons of experience with it's general type (Hack, NetHack, ADOM, Dungeon, etc). And I have not found one bit of info on special command inscribing. Consequently, I haven't a clue how to put in those 'basic' things.

Second, none of those food items are 'useless'. The stores didn't EVER offer one 'Satisfy Hunger' scroll for the first 2 Million turns. I'm serious here. AND... the stores didn't offer one bit of food for over 6 dives. Couple that with having had several things that Magilla cannot see stealing all of his FOOD, and you might understand why I keep a bit around.

This is Magilla, just after topsiding and getting ready to go REBUILD Armor Class. I meant it when I said I had gotten ambushed by a Gelationious Cube. In that deal, I also got hit by about 8 dragons (6 Acid Spitters) and literally 200 or so Orcs of various types. The Gel wasted ALL of my armor... every bit of it. The Gel and dragons wasted ALL but one of my satisfy hunger scrolls... Scrolls get wasted faster the food. The stores once again, that trip topside, carried NO items of food and no satisfy hunger spells. So... my storing 'useless' food has allowed me to immediately reequip for dungeon diving.

Those gloves are the WORST piece of armor I have ever kept. I only kept them as a BACKUP, and from sentiment, as they are the very first enchanted armor I found, and on level one at that. I had Cesti of 5,+9 before that. But El Cubo wasted them. Along with my cloak, shield, boots. The body armor survived, but it ate up all my spare enchant armors to get it back to where it is NOW... and the only ARMOR the stores were selling, I'm wearing in this dump. That's it. Notice the shield. It's {uncursed}. It was the only shield lieing about after the Cube/Orc fight... And even CURSED, I knew with the Remove Curse scroll that was there, and with it being {average}, it was better then counting on the stores HAVING something for sale. The armorer had small normal leathers for sale. That's 2,+0... A simple 4, 0 is better.

My primary escape has been, Speed, slip back to the stairs. On long hauls to the stairs, I might WoR instead. Unless I hit a trap door trap, it works fine. That's how I got ambushed by the G Cube. I was walking for the down stairs, over a spot I'd been 4 times, the trap door there went off, and bam! The Gelationious Cube hits you. Your cloak is ruined. Your boots are ruined. Your Armor is corroded. your iron helm is ruined. You hit! It was a great hit! The Cube hits you. One of your Phase Door scrolls are destroyed! One of your Phase Door scrolls are destroyed! One of your Phase Door scrolls are destroyed! One of your arrows is destroyed! yadda yadda blah... G Cubes are *nasty* in AngBand.

I feel more comfortable toting around a backup. But I ended up selling the Staff of Teleport and Scrolls of Teleport... needed to pick up some ARMOR.

There is just NO way I'm giving up the Sustain Strength. Especially when the game has taken a turn for glitching in 30 pink nagas around me. I need my strength... how else can I pack mule back those items that turn into decent cash? Let alone make sure I don't drop to serious - speeds in the SLOW department. Even potions of speed won't help you if you start out at -10 or worse... ;)

I haven't been down THAT far... Being cautious. It's either 14 or 16. This is a competition, after all. And this is my first time in playing AngBand.

I know what the staves are. I have 2 perception staves. The one in the house is my backup for when the acid spitters nail the one I'm carrying. The staff I have on me was empty, and I just recharged it. I find that I don't need more then one average scroll of Recharge to identify everything I'm interested in one dive... by the time I need to store side, I'll have just run out, or close. The first Identify scroll I find, walking back down, will be used to tell me how many charges are in it. Other then that, I don't care. Staves are just for selling, as I almost find anything interesting. (I was VERY shocked to get an Identify staff. That's interesting and useful) Oh boy! Light! Darkness! Another Light! Hey, wow, a Detect Invisible! Oh gee! Cure Light Wounds! I did find a Staff of *Destruction* once. Had 3 charges. And it got destroyed by a baby black dragon. The dragon breathes on you. (-1 HP). Your Staff of *Destruction* is destroyed! (WHACK) The Baby Black Dragon is dead. (And that was the whole fight. Rounded a corner, there it was. One or two hits, it was dead.)

Acid attackers have been my absolute bane with this character. That and the stores trying to starve me to death. I haven't seen this run of particulars with the other characters I've started out and messed about with since. Just how the RNG goes, I suppose.

Upgrade my bow? It's +9, +9. The only thing to upgrade would be arrows, and I go through those so fast, it's a waste of money. I didn't max The Gorilla out in THIS instance, as I was just going Armor Rebuilding. He just lost all his armor. I'm not going on anything relatively 'deep' for him, just down between 5 and 8 this trip... right now, he could walk naked, blind through the whole thing and as long as he wouldn't get dropped deeper by a trap, he'd easily survive in my estimation. Just need some booty to fill out his AC, and money for some Enchant Armor scrolls... Which means I'm hunting o piles. :D

Why would I want a lesser weapon? I saw an Executioners weapon for sale, this trip store side. But since it needed plussing, and I'm after armor, I passed. at 4d5, it's average was 10, plus it's +4, yeilding average damage of 14 with max of 24 versuses my current 3d8 +9, +9... which is 10.5 + 9 yielding 19.5 average versus 27 max (which occurs more often on 3 dice then 4 dice). {Yes, I know I could enchant it eventually to match my current one, but it weighed more, and it's base average is .5 under... and it's extreme would happen less often)

The only way I could do better at melee is to find a better weapon. Since you cannot dual hand attack... And with lighter weapons I STILL only get one hit per round, I want the biggest monster melee weapon I can find, on average. The stores have offered exactly 3 2Hnders so far... and I bought the first one offered. Nothing better has been offered except that Executioners so far. Seen a couple of LANCES, but they were just 2d8 (that surprised me, as most dungeon crawls make Lances serious monsters of damage).

Now, where in the world do I find out what @z1!k!d!v means?

127 levels? Geekers... that's a whole lot of strength to pack in those 99 satisfy hungers and 99 food rations... with a spare set of primary armor at least. Goodness gracious!

Darkstar
21-02-2002, 00:07:59
There... put in the code tags.

Oh yeah! I'd forgotten about that scroll of Identity at home. Well, I'd have spotted it tonight when I next hit the house. No worries.

DaShi
21-02-2002, 01:02:52
The deepest I've been is level 5. No wonder I only find crap. Damn, stores won't buy my dwarf skeletons. I've been reduced to killing townsfolk for money. :(

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
21-02-2002, 01:32:41
Inscribing is simple once you know it.

Consider this as a simple guide. I'll use the example I gave earlier - @z1!k!d!v

The ! before a letter means - if you try to perform that operation on that item, it will prompt you. So, for a rod, if you try to 'k' (destroy), 'd' (drop) or 'v' (something, is it sell?) you'll be prompted if you really want to do that. Handy if you accidentally try to get rid of it in a selling binge.

The @ means: for the following operation, allow the user to specify the item as the number following the operation instead of the inventory position.

So if your rod is in k) in the backpack, you can activate it with z 1, instead of z k. This might not sound like much, but when your rod moves to q) because of stuff you pick up, you don't have to go hunting for the correct command. z 1 will still zap your rod.

Time to go home, more on basics later, perhaps.

Sir Penguin
21-02-2002, 03:06:14
v is throw :).

SP

Sir Penguin
21-02-2002, 03:11:59
Here's another inscribing thing (the { key to inscribe, the } key to erase): If you inscribe two items as '@0' (no quotes), you can switch between them by pressing Shift-X. I find this useful for my primary weapon and shovel (although I tend to forget to switch them back; and then wonder why I'm killing lice so slowly!). And of course, you don't want to mix it up with CTRL-X, which saves and quits.

SP

Sir Penguin
21-02-2002, 03:30:46
Something I forgot to say earlier: a clear potion will always be water.

SP

Darkstar
21-02-2002, 07:57:49
Thanks! took me a while to learn 'v = throw'. Throwing things is VERY useful in most of the other dungeon crawls.

Gee... speed to the rescue again. I was busy building up a nice stash of goods to sell so I could get some armor worth enchanting... trap door... land, step, trap door... land, step, trap door. Went from D8 to D11 like that. Poof. No problem, until the warg and white wolf fleas jumped out and started reproducing like crazy... HEY SPEED POTION!

My Magilla must be a Cocaine fiend by now. Always doing speed... ;)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
22-02-2002, 00:18:22
Of course v is throw. I've been playing Angband so long that all the keystrokes are automatic - I hardly know what I press.

d doubles as sell, which is s. So inscribing !d prevent dropping as well as selling.

!* asks for confirmation before performing ANY action. Inscribe teleport staves, scrolls of Word of Recall, rods of Recall etc. Just in case you're clearing out a Greater Checkerboard Vault with umpteen artifacts in it and you accidentally zap your Recall rod (and you don't have a spare to zap to cancel it!) Engrave it !*!*!* just to be sure :) I think I ince engraved one !*!*!k!d!v!k!d!v to be sure I wouldn't go and do something stupid like sell it :)

Ammo is another good item to engrave, as I stated above. @f1 will make your life that much easier, especially so since ammo usually apears at the bottom of your inventory, it's always moving when you pick stuff up. In some variants, inscribing =g@f1 mean that you will automatically pick up your ammo when you walk over it. Not sure if it goes so for vanilla Angband though. =g can be used on any item, including daggers you might keep around in order to throw (artifacts work best because they have a 0% chance of disappearing when thrown, and can't be destroyed. You just gotta remember to pick it up and make damn sure you don't fall through a trap door before you recover it :) )

The third type of item that calls out to be engraved is spellbooks. After playing spell users for a while, you kind of get used to some of the more oft-used commands. maa - magic missile. mbb - lighting bolt, etc.

But what happens if your book a is burned? casting maa will cast spell a from the SECOND book. Not good if you've got something about to kill you and you end up casting, say, satisfy hunger.

Engraving your usual a slot spell book with @m1@b1@G1!k!d!v will mean that for purposes of casting spells, browsing books or learning spells, the usual slot a book will be book 1. So if you change your spellcasting habits to m1a (and your macros) you'll never accidentally cast satisfy hunger again - the game will tell you you don't have that book and will give you the chance to go again without wasting your turn or your spell points.

There are a few other utility engravings. There's one that lets you engrave weapons and armor and automatically swaps them in and out with a keystroke. For weapons, there's even a hotkey for swapping primary weapon - X. Engrave your primary weapon with @0, and, say, a pick with @0. You can autoswap weaopns with X (that's uppercase, BTW). There are also tricky macros people have made that will autoswap a weapon any time you try attacking with a pick or shovel. I don't know what it is though. It's probably out on the web somewhere.

Macros, as with other games, are really useful. Mapping magic missle, detect traps etc. to your function keys can save a LOT of time. And, better than that, you can save different preference files for different classes. So, for a mage, make F3 m1d (Detect Traps). For a warrior, make F3 z1 (and engrave a Rod of Detect Traps @z1). And so on. So in any game you play, F3 will find traps. Get into the habit of pressing it, and you'll never fall down a trap door again. Unless the spell or zap fails :)

Don't forget that Shift and Ctrl work with function keys, giving you at least 36 hot keys for common actions.

Sir Penguin
22-02-2002, 03:29:38
Here's another generic tip (I think that this is true in Vanilla Angband; it was in Zangband): If you have a weapon that is sold at the temple (building 4; they sell the '\' weapons), it will sell for a higher price there than at the weapon shop.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
22-02-2002, 16:31:17
That's true.

And further to your clear potion being water, I don't think I'm spoiling much by saying that light brown potions are always Apple Juice, and one of the green ones (argh! I should be able to remember this! Is it Slimy Green?) potion is always Slime Mold Juice.

There is also a few other items which are always the same, but I won't spoil that as it's a rather LARGE spoil.

Darkstar
22-02-2002, 22:00:56
Thanks gang!

What level/condition does a fighter gain multiple attacks? Early on, I had tried a lighter weapon, but still only got one hit per attack command. Last night, I found a short sword (maybe it's a rapier? It does 1d7 damage) of Freezing... and decided to see if it would ever tell me 'The monster is frozen' or 'You hit. The monster is covered in frost!'. It never did, but I started doing 2 hits per attack command. I found a short sword of Dragon Slaying (It is a short, does 1d6 damage), swapped over it to see if it would do more attacks, and started getting 3 attacks per attack command. The DS is +8, +6 or so... so, after a few scrolls, it should catch up with my 2Hder.

You guys will be happy to know that I restored a more appropriate AC to my miner/fighter. Got him a respectable AC 75... and then got into a bit of trouble in a jelly room that had a few G Cubes spontaneously appear. Sigh. I really hate G Cubes. And they kept up with me, move for move, at +10 Quick Speed! Bastards. G Cubes are supposed to be SLOW... so people can run away! That left me with a mere 65 AC at the moment.

I've decided to give up on even looking for artifacts. I've wasted 3 staves of object location with 3 staves of treasure location with 8 scrolls of magic mapping... nothing. On that same level, I IDed EVERYTHING... Wasted 5 staves of Perception. Nothing. There was ONE worthless object... and I IDed that. Nope. Nothing. So apparently, there is something special about this level means 2 or more jelly rooms on that level. Whee! (One room in the standard room with outer hall, and another regular random room just stacked full of jellies...) Fuck it.

Last night, the game was DETERMINED. I was going to down... hit 400 feet... special feeling... went looking (as described above), nothing. Said fuck it, went down... 450 feet... special. 500 feet... special. What's so special? Jelly rooms. Whee!

Some fun critters in the game. But some very strange things too... is Zangband better?

Sir Penguin
23-02-2002, 00:35:34
You gain multiple melee attacks when your STR (and maybe DEX) are high, and when you have a light weapon. Back in the day, when I bought my stats, I used to get 4 attacks with a whip right off the bat :). When I started playing Magilla, he was getting 2 hits with a weapon <5.0 lbs. You get extra shots with a missile launcher when you get a missile launcher that gives you extra shots; you don't get extra shots on your own.

I like Zangband 2.4 more. It has a great deal of variety compared to Vanilla Angband. I don't know if they've removed uniques and monsters from Angband, but they've sure added lots (A lot of the added uniques are from Roger Z{Angband}elazny's Amber series). The Zangband people have implemented a wilderness and multiple towns, quests based out of buildings in the towns, and random quests within the dungeon (all of which you can suppress at the start of the game). There are whacks more buildings, including fighters halls, thieves guilds, inns, and casinos (where you can actually bet your AU on games). The buildings allow you to pay for stuff like enchantments, room and board, and other services. You can get up to CLevel 7-10 and get some nice equipment before even setting foot in the dungeon. There's just more stuff to get and to do. I don't particularly like Zangband 2.6, because they've put a lot of effort into making the towns more randomised and spread-apart. I find it annoying, because it's just too much work to move amongst the towns to find stuff, when I should be exploring dungeons.

SP

Sir Penguin
24-02-2002, 05:23:33
Here's another hint: If you want to keep your nice, shiny artifact armour, DON'T read a scroll of curse armour :fuck:.

SP

MDA
24-02-2002, 16:26:24
there's no :fuck: smiley :)

Sir Penguin
24-02-2002, 21:22:24
:shutup: :)

SP

MDA
24-02-2002, 23:25:36
go : peck: yourself, fishbreath

Off-topic: Have you seen the news article about the 2 gay penguins? I can't remember if someone showed me that at work or I read it here somewhere... strange birds indeed. They've had a 7 year relationship sharing the same nest, grooming each other, copulating - the keepers thought one was a female, until blood tests (and perhaps a lack of baby penguins:hmm:?) showed otherwise.

DaShi
25-02-2002, 00:02:57
I'm starting to get the hang of it. Trying a human warrior with stats a little lower than Magilla's. Up to level 22 and still alive :bounce: .

I didn't get multiple attacks until I found a war hammer that gave me two extra attacks as a bonus. I had to kill Saruman's Aid to get it though, that wasn't a fun battle.

I have a few questions. What are chests used for? I keep find some that seem to have traps in them, but I don't know what to do with them. The black market will give me about 15Au for them, which hardly makes them worth it to carry out.

Can someone explain artifacts to me? I haven't found any, but the deepest I've been is level 11.

Darkstar
25-02-2002, 07:31:14
Chest are containers. They usually have money, and sometimes items, in them. (s)earch until you find the chest's trap, (D)isarm it, then (o)pen it. It's contents will spill out around the chest.

Artifacts are just special, powerful magic items. I hear there's code in the game so that they make useful missile/thrown weapons, because they won't randomly break/disappear like everything else thrown/shot.

I have to say... I prefer Auto-Haggle on when selling items. But it sucks for *buying* items, as I've always gotten the list price then.

I've experimented for about 1.5 million turns with a mage, trying out Ang's magic characters. Which seems preferable to ZAngs... since they further split up the spells, and their spells are more like everything and the kitchen sink. Just impressions between messing around with them.

(I swapped the little d to a big 'un, as pointed out by SP.)

Sir Penguin
25-02-2002, 07:51:16
Chests usually hold AU pieces at the lower levels. By the time you get to the ones with {good} items inside, you'll be leaving those behind (or 'k'illing them, as I do), to make room for all the really good stuff you'll be finding :). Note: Disarm is a capital D.

Artifacts have lots of special qualities. They usually can't be damaged by the elements, and can't be lost unless you drop them in the dungeon and leave the level before picking them up (or unless you read a scroll of Curse Armour :mad: ). Some might give your stats, abilities, AC, or accuracy/damage a boost. Some might provide you with resistances (or, if you're lucky, immunities), or other bonuses that are listed in the last two colums of the second page on the 'C'haracter information screen. Others have activations. The first artifact you'll probably find is the Phial of Galadriel, which 'A'ctivates for light area, and has a very short recharge time (good for waking up a group of orcs for the purpose of luring them into a tunnel, or lighting a dark room to find the flea that just left your light radius and is breeding explosively). In Zangband, I had an artifact armour that activated for heal (777 HP) and heroism (THAT was a sweet piece of mithril). You can find out the special properties of artifacts by IDing them with an *Identify* scroll (until then its information screen will show you a few things, and the line "It might have hidden powers"). But those are harder to come by in Vanilla Angband than the artifacts themselves, at least at Dlevels below around 1500' or more.

SP

MDA
25-02-2002, 16:09:29
OK, next challenge! SP is the winner, so he has to come up with the challenge. :D (pssst... Zangband!)

DaShi
26-02-2002, 01:21:16
Thanks. I'll start keeping chests from now on. I did find the phial of Galadriel. Though I didn't know you could activate it. I've been using it as a replacement for my lantern.

Sir Penguin
26-02-2002, 01:33:19
You don't need to keep the chests, you can s-D-o them in the dungeon.

SP

DaShi
26-02-2002, 01:40:37
That's what I meant. Rather than selling them or just ignoring them. I'm only just beginning to realize all the effort I've been wasting in my dungeon crawls. :)

Sir Penguin
26-02-2002, 03:19:28
You can waste even more energy in ZAngband by carrying up 50.0 pound statues :).

SP

Darkstar
26-02-2002, 06:01:43
Sounds like Nethack. But when that 50 pound statue is worth 150K, it's worth it. Sometimes. ;)

BigGameHunter
22-03-2002, 20:42:47
All I get is a bunch of code when I try and DL this...I have Win98, second edition...what am I missing/doing wrong?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
22-03-2002, 22:12:32
How (and from where) are you trying to download what?

If you're entering Challenge #13, BGH, I suggest you download ZAngband 2.4.0. You'll be able to find that as a link via the Challenge page, http://www.geocities.com/qaj_stars/chal.html You should be okay with ZAng 240 Windows version. Right click the link, select "Save file as...", save the file, and wait till it's done.

You'll need WinZip to extract it, of course.

If you're just looking at Angband, go to angband.thangorodrim.org, and follow the links to the Angband download page, following the same insturctions as above.

BigGameHunter
23-03-2002, 01:27:02
OK, I got it...but man, that mean mercenary keeps killing me.
:(
this is going to take some getting used to...

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
23-03-2002, 01:35:38
Start with a dwarf warrior - probably the easiest class/race to learn with. Get a feel for things, see what does what, how to control your character etc. Check out some strategy pages on the Web (if you can find them :) ) or on Usenet. TANG (The Angband Newbie Guide) is invaluable for new players, I highly recommend it.

Sir Penguin
23-03-2002, 03:42:26
Some browsers appear to interpret certain binary extensions as ascii extensions, and download the ascii text instead of downloading the binary (especially .bz2 extensions, it seems). That's probably what happened to you, BGH.

SP

BigGameHunter
23-03-2002, 06:48:12
Ok...I'll try that...just don't know all the commands...don't know whether to stock up in town first, or how to utilize things properly...ie, spells? bows? etc....
But it is a harmless game to have at work I think.
:)

Darkstar
23-03-2002, 08:14:53
BGH...

Start off by immediately (w)eilding your weapon and (w)earing your start armor. I'd suggest you add 'armor' to your characters, off the start. Cloak (everyone can wear one), Boots (whatever you can get), cap or helm. If you aren't a spell caster, get gloves as well. (use the (w)eild/wear to put them on, and watch your AC inch up.) In Zangband, you are looking for store 0. That's warriors hall, sells basic weapons and armor.

After that, go into the dungeon, (w)eild your torch, and begin walking into critters. I'd suggest you don't go down to Level 2 until you've gotten some practice.

Play trash compactor on level one. When you get done exploring the whole level and carrying as much of what you find there (if you reach Slow(-1), start dumping items you found until you are no longer slowed).

Go back up, sell off the stuff. You are out to get a latern and some oil for it.

Notice that when you sell bad stuff (like potions of Slowness), you won't be able to sell that afterward.

If you are worried about being able to get back a nice item, sell it at a store that offers that sort of thing. Potions and scrolls, I sell at the Temple, for instance. While the other stores might have a few scrolls listed, they won't list the whole range.

Give anything in town other then the idiots, hobo, and drunks a wide berth. Even a Sparrow can kill you topside until you've leveled a few times. Nothing more embarassing then getting critical hit and dieing by a Sparrow. Mean vicious beast, they are. ;)

After a while, you should get the basics down. Expect to die... A LOT. Takes a while, on average, to get a character where they can survive long enough to take risk going to the outhouse without a personal guard. (You eat, but you won't use an outhouse, cause they don't exist. No worries.)

I like to stock up on Rations after my first trip, if I can spare the gold. You shouldn't need more then 6, ever, for a character that is just getting the basics... You shouldn't need more then 4, but some monsters will eat your grub when they hit you, so you need some to spare.

In the beginning, spikes are a big ticket item for you. Every spike is a gold piece, sold. Same with arrows and pebbles (basic sling ammo).

I've found that arrows and slings are pretty worthless to any decent fighter except in very odd circumstances. Your play style might dictate different. Up to you, but you won't find a decent bow to start with, so you'd have to buy it, and I've found ZAngband unreliable at selling ammo in the starting town.

Learn the use of the (R)est command. It's a fast charge up/heal up command, as far as low level characters are concerned.

Feel free to ask this group. I'm just an old Roguelike game player, and most of these games play out pretty similarly. But I'm not very advanced in ZAngband. Others here are...

Sir Penguin
23-03-2002, 10:15:45
I find it easiest in Zangband 2.4.0 to stick around in the wilderness for a little while, especially when playing a warriorish character. With a broad sword, chain mail, some cheap 2-3 base AC armour, and reasonable CON you can take on a centipede without a lot of trouble (though I would invest in a scroll of Phase Door or two before splurging on armour). Centipedes are worth a lot of XP for a low-level character (one or two will bring you up to level 2). Also, small kobolds are all over the place between towns. They're pretty easy to kill if you're lucky, and usually carry some AUs worth of copper, which you can go back and spend on CLW potions or PD scrolls, or whatever you like to spend money on at that stage in the game (food's always a good choice if you're using the 'R' command a lot, and a brass lantern is great when night falls). Aimless Looking Merchants and Singing, Happy Drunks also carry AU sometimes, as do Agents of the Black Market (though they're a bit more dangerous at lower levels). Mean Looking Mercenaries and Battle Scarred Veterans carry often carry bad potions which you can still sell (once, unidentified) for around 12 AU. Once I've got to around clevel 7 or so (still not entering the dungeon), and can afford it, I usually buy some form of projectile weapon and do the sewer set quest in one of the cities (the projectile weapon is necessary for taking out spiders, which can't cross deep water and which have a pretty nasty bite). After that, I'll scum the wilderness some more for AU, buy a shovel, go down to 50', and mine for more AU to spend on equipment, CSW potions, and so on. By that time, I'm around clevel 8-10, and can take on anything in an average 50' map, and even deeper.

This strategy probably isn't the best idea in Zangband 2.6.x and greater, since the wilderness is a LOT more dangerous in those. It probably also doesn't apply directly to pure spellcasting classes with no 1st-level offensive spells, but I don't usually play those.

SP

Sir Penguin
23-03-2002, 10:19:28
Oh, and if you ever come across Farmer Maggot, don't have any qualms about killing him (you might have to throw something at him and get him mad at you to be able to attack him), no matter what level you are. In Zangband 2.4.0 he doesn't do any damage to you, ever. But he carries a {good} item, which you can either wear, or sell for a few hundred AU (well worth the ID scroll). Don't try this with the other unique dude you see in towns, because he'll kick your ass :).

SP

Darkstar
23-03-2002, 11:05:22
And as SP just said... if you are running a different ZAngband, ignore his advice as you will just die. In ZAngBand 2.6, the safest place you can be is the first level of the dungeon. Hell, for me, it's not even safe to take 12th level character outfitted as well as he can through the wilderness for long. Just swamped by very big nasties.

Reminds me of the original graphic dungeon crawls with wilderness. You hit the dungeons, pumped up, and didn't travel until you were a Fighter Lord/Thief Guildmaster/Master Arch Wizard/High Priest.

Z 2.4 is really that soft?

Sir Penguin
24-03-2002, 00:24:01
Once you play for a bit, you learn the normal behaviour of the monsters, and can predict what they'll do. I mean, if I'm down to 3 HP and the small kobold is down to just a couple stars, I know that if I hit him once more, he'll either die or run. If I miss, there's still a moderate chance that I'll have another hit at him next turn. Centipedes move erratically, and will sometimes move a few spaces away from you during a fight, giving you a chance to run away. Theoretically, a weak first-level character shouldn't take on a centipede, but it's not that hard to kill if you know what's going on (and if you don't mind a gamble).

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
25-03-2002, 22:12:35
Don't take either set of advice to heart. In 2.4 you can quite easily come across stuff that will instantly kill you if you wander away from the towns, and the roads between them.

2.6+ are more random as to what you'll meet outside a town, and you stand a good chance to meeting something that'll kill you. But you can also meet high XP, low HP easy to kill nasties like giant white dragonflies that'll get you to CLevel 10 in one hit - provided they don't breathe on you first :)

2.4 is easier to avoid the nasty stuff - if you know it's there. Both versions give you the opportunity to jump huge amounts of CLevels for little work, if you're willing to take the chance.