PDA

View Full Version : Publicaiton quality powerpoint figures

MDA
04-08-2003, 20:08:56
Apparently the journal people think that I should be submitting my figures as 400dpi TIFF, even the ones that are not scans of actual data, but just diagrams I've put together in powerpoint because its a very simple figure and easier for me.

Now I have to paste it into a real photo/pic editor program and convert it into a 400dpi TIFF (powerpoint comes out to 72dpi for me) to be acceptable for publication. I'm no genius, but I can figure it out.

The figure itself is some boxes, lines, arrowheads, and text. I'm told by a reliable source that it could actually look worse after conversion. It did. Matter of fact, half the text boxes got "disappeared" in the conversion. I had to get our illustrator guy to fix it for me using another illustrator program (I did Corel P-P, he did Adobe Ill.). It took him 15 minutes to get all the glitches fixed in his conversion. I felt like I was wasting his time, but the journal people have been wasting mine, so I spread it around. :bash:

God bless him for doing it on the spot, with no advance warning.:beer:

Darkstar
04-08-2003, 20:37:41
So, did he think you were a complete moron?

Nav
04-08-2003, 21:08:30
400dpi, unnecessarily high quality. What size is the publication... A2 glossy sheets? :rolleyes:

Sir Penguin
04-08-2003, 21:47:48
I remember reading somewhere that one of the first things that webcomic artists have to do when publishing a book is to re-scan all the art in 600x600 resolution (if they didn't have the foresight to do it in the first place). Apparently it makes a difference.

SP

No longer Trippin
05-08-2003, 06:05:00
Wait, it took him 15 minutes to do a conversion and cleaning of the image? How many images? If it's less than 10 he needs some ritalin to speed his ass up. If they are all the same format, you can run the same set of functions to keep the image clean all the way through generally - with only a slight fix here and there at the worst. If you just go and resize the image your going to have to fix a ton of glitches, that sounds exactly like what he did. They have photoshop and illustrator and all those tons of extra plugins you can get for a reason. Apparently he doesn't realize that.

Well since they wasted your time, at least you wasted theirs, so good job there. :D

No longer Trippin
05-08-2003, 06:26:12
Oh, SP... the image doesn't need to be resized into 600x600, just the canvas - makes it easier to adjust the image size later on having it completely square and helps with the quality of the resize slightly for some reason - at least so I was told. Though if it's originally larger than 600x600 (800 for us) we'd take the larger number and use it as the base, like 952x952 and let them clean it up - but it was rare that we just didn't use a base canvas of 800x800 there. As to why they chose 600x600 for web design, I'm not sure, I'm guessing they don't want to high or to low of an image size as that translates into a larger file size which takes longer to run filters on along with being able to fit two on a screen at 1600x1400 which doesn't need an insanely expensive monitor to pull off. Just throw all the toolboxes and the master file on the secondary display which would be able to hold 600x600 easily. We had to square the canvas size at work if we sent it to the graphics artist, but generally we just did it ourselves since they were busy doing concept work from maybe one or two solid drawings and the rest were just sketches with a bit of color here and there to indicate what we wanted. So we apreciated them as if they weren't there, we'd have to do it all, and none of us had the time to do that much concept work.

MDA
05-08-2003, 21:30:59
One image. What slowed him up was me introducing myself, telling him who I work for, and trying to explain what I needed/why I needed it. I expected trouble switching from PC to Mac, but I don't think there was one.

Final publication will be a pdf file, and a printed article. I would guess the final publication will need far less resolution, the high quality stuff is probably to make sure the reviewers see every tiny detail. If it was a photo of actual data, that might matter, but the figure I had trouble with was a bunch of frigging boxes and lines from powerpoint. Illustrator did some weird stuff to the text, splitting up words and shifting them relative to the rest of the figure. Corel just cut the entire figure in half.

No longer Trippin
06-08-2003, 23:40:13
Photoshop has better resizing algorithms than illustrator from my experience, not much, but on some things it is noticeable - though that just be the image as I've never done a comparison of the same image resized. Still, he shouldn't have needed fifteen minutes if done properly even though powerpoint shit is hell to adjust, it can still be done with minimal editing afterwards, not 15 minutes of cleanup. There is a plugin for photoshop that does a much better job of resizing low resolution images. Also the format that it is being resized in matters a lot as well. Some resize better than others, then you convert the file to the format you want as you won't lose the quality (not much at least). Going from Powerpoint to TIFF wouldn't be the way I'd do it. I'd convert it into 3 pass progressive scan with file size at it's max for a jpg as those tend to resize fairly clearly - then dropping it into TIFF and doing a little cleaning up of any excess sharpness - which is just a filter you need to run.

Personally I hare Corel, I've worked with it and found it to be a horrible program. PSP tend to give better results IMO - though Adobe crushes them both, but PSP is still great since it's a ton cheaper and the quality loss compared to photoshop or illustrator is a helluva lot less.

MDA
13-08-2003, 14:56:44
Corel has twice screwed me over while trying to convert their files to pdf (or even Word). Things like missing lines, and missing top halves of words. If our collaborator would stop sending us data in corel, I'd stop using it.

No longer Trippin
14-08-2003, 01:55:39
LOL Can you tell them not to?

MDA
15-08-2003, 16:12:29
My boss could, but I try to save my bitching to him for the really serious stuff, so he doens't get desensitized.

No longer Trippin
15-08-2003, 22:13:02
Ah, well then looks like Corel fun for you.