PDA

View Full Version : Since it takes me about two months to put together a CD...

Scabrous Birdseed
01-08-2003, 12:10:03
...(most of which is spent hunting around shops because I use a compilation as an excuse to buy more records so I get something out of it too), I thought I'd get started early on the next one. However, since I'm also going away for a week on sunday morning I'm posting a thread so as to find out what people actually want from me. When I come back on the 10th I expect a thread in which people have come to a consensus over what theme they want the compilation to be, no comedy entries please.

Suggested theme:

DEEP CUTS

A compilation of vocal-driven, gospel-tinged 60s southern soul emotiovaganzas. James Carr, O.V. Wright, Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Mabel Johnson, Aretha Franklin, Solomon Burke, etc., possibly stretching into the 1970s of Al Green and Mavis Staples.

If you pick this theme please indicate level of obscurity since I don't want to end up putting, say, The Dark End Of The Street on there if everyone's heard it.

Debaser
01-08-2003, 12:16:11
That theme sounds good. I'll definately have a copy. Get as obscure as you can without compromising quality.

BigGameHunter
01-08-2003, 14:51:26
I think you can get away with semi-obscure, as it is a genren even local affecianados like myself have missed a bit.
I'm a huge Otis Reding fan, Al Green is the shit, etc...wouldn't mind hearing some Motown myself...sign me up!
If you could throw some of the early white boys doing soul in there (think Cream but better) I'd like that...some of them were really good.

Scabrous Birdseed
01-08-2003, 15:23:51
Well, let's see... Blue-eyed soul acts with a deep soul flavour? Hmmm... Well, I've maybe got one. Or two. We'll see.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-08-2003, 11:59:50
I've changed my mind. The compilation is now called "Dogs and Monkeys" and features Rufus Thomas's "The Dog" and "Walking The Dog", The Rolling Stones' Cover of "Walking The Dog", The Miracles "Mickey's Monkey", Rufus's response "Can Your Monkey Do The Dog?", The Mar-Keys "Philly Dog" and, inevitably, O.V. Wright's "Monkey Dog".

:nervous:

Actually, that's a really crap idea. I think I might go for deep soul after all.

Debaser
11-08-2003, 12:14:14
*a single tear slowly rolls down Debaser's cheek*

Aww, do the monkey album..

Scabrous Birdseed
11-08-2003, 13:44:32
Found another one- "Somebody Stole My Dog" by Rufus Thomas. I'm sure a web search will turn out a few more... ;)

Debaser
11-08-2003, 14:11:44
I wanna be your dog - The Stooges
Puppy Love - Donny Osmond
Too Much Monkey Business - The Beatles
Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey - The Beatles

err...

King_Ghidra
11-08-2003, 14:30:46
Monkey Man - The Rolling stones

fantastic track

Debaser
11-08-2003, 14:51:07
This Monkeys gone To Heaven - The Pixies
Anything by Snoop Dogg.

Immortal Wombat
11-08-2003, 15:04:32
Hey Hey We're the Monkees
Ape Man by the Kinks

Scabrous Birdseed
11-08-2003, 15:10:04
No, no, the point is you're supposed to be able to dance either The Dog or The Monkey to the tracks. Or both, alternatingly, like on the O.V. Wright track.

Scabrous Birdseed
15-08-2003, 20:23:40
Anyway, back to the Deep Soul comp. It's taking a bit longer than I'd hoped, I've got a great difficulty deciding between some quite imperfect tracks, may have to leave this for later in the year.

Definate so far:

Aretha Franklin - Don't Play That Song (You Lied)
Solomon Burke - The Price
Sam & Dave - I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
James Carr - Pouring Water on a Drowning Man
Gorgeous George - Biggest Fool in Town
Wee Willie Walker - There Goes My Used-to-Be
Wendy Rene - After Laughter (Comes Tears)

Some of these artists will get additional coverage, but picking (say) the best non-obvious Otis Redding tracks is proving a major headache. Leaning towards "My Lovers Payer" there.

Scabrous Birdseed
15-08-2003, 20:27:13
Oh, and I'm giving major consideration to Putting Elvis Presley's "Long Black Limousine" on there plus some early William Bell or Solomon Burke, and maybe some Charlie Rich, just to show the connection between Deep Soul and Country. There's apparently a compilation out right now with white country artists of the 60s doing soul, might have to splash out on that.

Scabrous Birdseed
16-01-2005, 15:38:22
Er... Hello again.

Um...

This didn't really work out at the time. It petered out and I never got anything done on it.

Last week it struck me that I might give it another shot, considering that (a) I've bought lots of Soul CDs since and (b) I've got a Soul Sister Girlfriend whose record collection is about to be integrated with mine (since we're moving in together). Anyone still interested? Ignore the "track list" above BTW, we've got loads of great material that we can put on and I don't have to resort to cheap filler. The grand total of our Goldwax, Stax and Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures material should easily be able to cover a massively brilliant CD.

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-01-2005, 17:28:19
Oooh, yeah.

Stefu X
16-01-2005, 23:24:38
Swederock!