PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen

King_Ghidra
06-02-2002, 09:20:03
Seeing Noisy's avatar reminded me that i have been remiss in praising this work to the stars.

For those that don't know what i'm talking about I mean Alan Moore's Watchmen, a twelve part comic that i suppose intended to drive a stake through the 'superhero' genre.
I can hardly begin to describe how briliant this, and how it towers above everything else in the comic genre.

Characterization is superb; every issue has it's own theme and also carries themes of the entire work; it is packed with symbolism and metaphor; the art superbly complements the story; and it confronts some of the fundamental questions of our times.

What else should i say?

I have most of the original comics, but the whole thing is available as a graphic novel.

there are some great websites showing moore's annotations to this work and explaining some of the more elusive references.

In fact even thinking about this comic makes me feel very small - it is a staggering achievement.

Funkodrom
06-02-2002, 09:40:57
I'd quite like to borrow them if you happen to have them handy...

King_Ghidra
06-02-2002, 09:43:48
i am back at the parents for a roast on sunday - if i remember i will pick them up. i have 11 of the twelve issues, i think - only missing number 8

Funkodrom
06-02-2002, 09:47:55
Cool thanks.

Noisy
06-02-2002, 11:09:30
I'd like to endorse everything that K_G said. I found a single issue of the story (somewhere in the middle) and couldn't track any others down. All other comics that I had read - including X-men - paled by comparison. I was over the moon when I discovered the graphic novel.

11/10!

Guy
06-02-2002, 13:03:56
I have all twelve of the original comic run. This is an absolute masterpiece of storytelling. The actual plot of this series turns out to be somewhat plebian, but the characterization, symbolism, and sheer depth of thought behind the setting and relationships blows away even a lot of print novels.

Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise, and Elaine Lee's Starstruck are the only other comic series that I would rate as being at the same level of writing as Watchmen, though neither is of the same vein.

Lady_of_Chicken
06-02-2002, 20:35:32
I remember the smiley face with the blood on it and the ink blots. Can't remember anything else except that it is dark, like many comics, but it stands out storywise...and yet I can't remember it. Read it...14 years ago.

Did also read Eisner's Spirit and others. Also good story--liked him better. Deals more with human nature even if a lot of his work is depressing.

Bone was a hit.

Personally, I liked the take off someone did on The WIzard of Oz. Also liked this one they had going (can't remember name) that was very fairytale centered but worked as a myth, done in black and white...a boy leaves his city on a quest...there is a woman on horseback, she's pregnant...then I had to quit reading because the trouble with comics at that time was getting a hold of something Quality. Small shops were squeezed out of buying and selling new stuff because the market was saturated with X-men and 'collectible' comics purchased by people who don't even read but wanted to make a fast buck 'collecting.' and large publishers started making demands on number of books you had to purchase each month..pinched out small shops...gripe, gripe, gripe. Basically, the market didn't support a lot of good comics.

Chris
11-02-2002, 00:24:00
Rorshach had the best quote in the series, speaking to the prison population right after breaking a guy's finger:

You think I'm trapped in here with you, but your wrong, your trapped in here with me!

Very well done, considering DC wasn't doing to well back then, they were willing to take chances that marvel wasn't going to, and sometimes scored a triumph like this.

Noisy
11-02-2002, 00:55:17
Originally posted by Chris
You think I'm trapped in here with you, but your wrong, your trapped in here with me!

That's "you're".

Strike two.

Chris
11-02-2002, 01:23:26
Your is perfectly acceptable.

Your English is falty, both pitches missed the zone.

Funkodrom
11-02-2002, 09:28:51
It's definitely "you're" in that context. It's a contraction of "you are".

"Your trapped" would be the trapped belonging to you. I don't know what a trapped is.

Noisy
11-02-2002, 10:21:55
Originally posted by Chris
Your is perfectly acceptable.

Your English is falty, both pitches missed the zone.

That's "faulty". :rolleyes:

It's like shooting fish in a barrel. :coolgrin:

Funkodrom
11-02-2002, 10:27:01
3-0. ;)

Chris
11-02-2002, 19:36:33
Originally posted by Noisy

That's "faulty". :rolleyes:

It's like shooting fish in a barrel. :coolgrin: Tell it to moore, he wrote it, not me.

3-0. Your right, one more and he walks me.
for shame, worried about a simple typo. :rolleyes:

From Webster's Colligate dictionary:

Your Pronoun. The progressive case of you; of you; of yourself. -adj.
1.Of or belonging to you; inherent in you; associated with you.
2.Of or relating to you as as an author, doer, giver, agent, ect.
3.Prececeding a title of honor or address; as in your highness.

And damn you Noisey, for making me look at a dictionary to prove I was correct.

Noisy
12-02-2002, 01:04:26
Chapter VI, Page 13: 'He said "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."'

And it's 'Noisy'! :b~~~

King_Ghidra
12-02-2002, 09:08:45
the moral: reading dictionaries is no way to learn grammar

notice the apostrophe - it means one or more characters have been omitted - thus 'you are locked up in here with me' becomes 'you're locked up in here with me'

not that it really makes a fucking difference :D

Funkodrom
12-02-2002, 09:22:43
Never thought I'd hear you say that. :)

King_Ghidra
12-02-2002, 10:27:34
i'm mellowing out in my old age :)

Noisy
12-02-2002, 12:21:16
Found this commentary site (http://raven.ubalt.edu/staff/moulthrop/hypertexts/wm/) while searching for a better 'Smiley button' image.

King_Ghidra
12-02-2002, 12:46:35
Yeah, I visited that, very nice.

It's quite overwhelming when you really start to delve into the symbolism, lit references etc.

But then that's one of the reasons i like it. :)

Chris
12-02-2002, 18:38:58
Originally posted by Noisy
Chapter VI, Page 13: 'He said "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."'

And it's 'Noisy'! :b~~~ No, It's annoying.

Why are you so overly concerned by my grammer?

In any case, you are correct, I also looked.

Happy now?