PDA

View Full Version : You know you've done too much SciFi when-

Qweeg
30-07-2003, 15:04:40
You start to use the term 'human beings' all the time, when the word 'people' would do.

Guy
30-07-2003, 15:22:47
What a typical Earthling thing to do.

Darkstar
30-07-2003, 18:40:10
Terran is shorter, Qweeg. And we are all Terrans, you know. ;)

Qweeg
31-07-2003, 10:41:16
You see, this is the kind of thing I mean. Next you'll be calling the hot yellow ball of light in the sky 'Sol', instead of 'the sun' like everybody else.

I read somewhere recently that the whole sci-fi thing has it's own special codified language, that any sci-fi fan instantly recognises, but non sci-fi fans are alienated by. I hadn't realised that till recently, but it's true isn't it.

maroule
31-07-2003, 10:53:33
speaking bullshit again Qweeg is

Sir Penguin
31-07-2003, 11:39:58
Mmmm...

SP

Venom
31-07-2003, 12:33:36
You damn nerds.

chagarra
31-07-2003, 14:36:02
Queeg

We just want to know "WHICH" sun it, since we visit so many of them.

Qweeg
31-07-2003, 16:58:55
We do do we? :hmm:

Don't get me wrong, I think Sol's a cool name, and I look forward to the day we can say

'What, Sol?'
'No no, one of the others... Tau Ceti I think'

midway through a conversation about holidays. But for now... really there's no excuse, unless you're a geek of some sort. ;)

Darkstar
31-07-2003, 21:17:58
Well, I do refer to our star as Sol. That's it's name. And if you don't believe me, look at the standarization of the term used for day on Mars. "Sol" = one day, local time. The time it takes the planet to rotate through a full day/night cycle. "Sols" is plural, for multiple amount of Sol.

Any culture has its own language. It's one of the characteristics. It helps members of that culture differentiate themselves from other cultures, and allows members of that culture to recognize each other easily.

Immortal Wombat
01-08-2003, 11:32:25
I occasionally use Sol. When I don't call it "The Day Star" with a faintly panicked expression.

Qweeg
01-08-2003, 14:21:45
:lol:@Wombat.

Originally posted by Darkstar
Well, I do refer to our star as Sol. That's it's name. And if you don't believe me, look at the standarization of the term used for day on Mars. "Sol" = one day, local time. The time it takes the planet to rotate through a full day/night cycle. "Sols" is plural, for multiple amount of Sol.

Any culture has its own language. It's one of the characteristics. It helps members of that culture differentiate themselves from other cultures, and allows members of that culture to recognize each other easily.

You see, Darkstar's exactly the kind of individual that I'm talking about, thank you Darkstar, you may sit down now.

And if this still isn't a strong enough example of over-scifification, then I will have to start searching google for graphic examples of the same thing to prove my point.