PDA

View Full Version : Neil Young

King_Ghidra@home
28-07-2003, 22:34:12
I suppose about a year ago, a friend intorduced me to Neil Young through 'Cortez the killer'. I kind of forgot i had it on my computer til about 6 months ago and then i totally fell in love with it. Well recently i decided to get hold of some more Neil Young but the main obstacle i face(d) is the huge scale of his back catalogue.

So far i have spent some time reading about all the different albums on Amazon and reading the user comments to find out which albums and tracks are generally considered the best.

So i've been out and grabbed loads of mp3's, of which the tracks that have really grabbed me so far are:

Alabama (my favourite)
Powderfinger
Heart of Gold
Dangerbird
The needle and the damage done

Seems liek Zuma and the seminal Harvest are considered two of the best albums, can anyone recommend any other particular albums/tracks?

zmama
29-07-2003, 01:21:02
I'm bringing in some help here, Phil. My hubby the self-proclaimed Neil Young freak says;

"Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere has "Cinnamon Girl", Down By The River" & "Cowgirl In The Sand". After The Goldrush features "Southern Man", "Only Love Can Break Your Heart". Rust Never Sleeps had "Hey, Hey, My, My" and "Powderfinger". There are two new songs from the upcoming Greendale album available thru Imusic that are great: "Bandit" and "Be The Rain".

I saw Neil on his new tour and this may be his best stuff in a long time. You can stream an acoustic show recorded in Dublin on his website that will be a bonus DVD when the album comes out 8/19. If you like Harvest, you'll probably like Harvest Moon, sort of a sequel and mostly acoustic. Pretty much anything with Crazy Horse that's produced by David Briggs tends to be the best of the rockers. Some of the old Buffalo Springfield stuff is also very good."

That should keep you busy for a bit ;)

King_Ghidra@home
29-07-2003, 06:47:12
great! cheers :beer:

Scabrous Birdseed
29-07-2003, 09:26:05
Neil Young at Roskilde 2001 is the best concert I've ever been to. If you get a chance to see the man live leap on it.

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-07-2003, 16:37:05
The albums to get are...

Everyone knows this is nowhere
After the goldrush
On the beach
Zuma
Rust never sleeps
Live rust
Freedom
Unplugged

I'm not a big fan of the "Harvest" albums- a bit easy listening for my tastes. I think "Tonight's the night" is grossly overrated, and think his last decade's output hasn't been great.

The "Rust never sleeps" concert DVD is out soon. It's reputed to be brilliant- one of the all-time great live music films.

BigGameHunter
29-07-2003, 21:07:28
After the Goldrush is one of my favorites...have a double live Neil Young and Crazy Horse album that is during his "rawk" stage...you may actually like that as well.

Lurker
26-08-2003, 13:31:31
There is so much good Neil Young material.

Sleeps With Angels hasn't been mentioned. It is an awesome cd.

Lurker
26-08-2003, 13:41:03
Also, it's obviously a matter of taste, but Harvest Moon is very good. "Natural Beauty" is one of my favorite Neil Young songs.

Bob
27-08-2003, 06:59:03
I agree with Laz' list. Tonight's the Night is nice if you like drunkards making music. Harvest, on the hand, is to clean and sweet, especially the songs with the Jack Nietsche glue.

RedFred
09-09-2003, 03:42:59
I like his solo stuff better than CSN&Y. 'For what it's worth' was the only Buffalo Springfield song of note.

Most bizarre Young song: 'Kind of fonda Wanda' by Neil Young and the Shocking Pinks or maybe the electronic Trans version of Mr. Soul.