PDA

View Full Version : Knights of the Old Republic

Corwin
27-07-2003, 16:49:37
I got to play this yesterday on a friend's xbox.

Lots of fun. Well done dungeoncrawl RPG. If you don't like dungeoncrawl RPGs, you probably won't really like this game. Combat is turn-based, so you don't need twitchy fingers. There are quite a few side missions to undertake, many of them standard RPG fare such as bounty-hunting, rescue, etc. We haven't obtained a ship yet, so we are still one the first world. There is a lot to do there, and we have been making fairly continous progress.

One of the cool features is the workbench, where you can modify and upgrade equipment with the right parts. Eventually we'll use it to build a lightsaber, which can then be customized as well.

We are trying to make our character as evil as possible. We haven't gotten too far down the alignment gauge yet. Our character is starting to look more evil though.

I really enjoyed playing it yesterday, and I will most likely get it for the PC this fall when it comes out.

Anyone else try this game?

maroule@home
27-07-2003, 17:10:31
I pre ordered it on amazon france, coming out the 28th of august here

King_Ghidra
28-07-2003, 11:10:52
I will defintely be buying this, but i can't decide whether to get the xbox version or wait for the pc version. My thoughts are that the pc version will have greater potential for expansion, tweaking modding etc.

although equally i suppose that means it's more likely to be bugged too

decisions, decisons...

maroule
28-07-2003, 11:13:37
yes, but playing it on the xbox will be more spectacular (larger size screen, as I suspect your TV screen is at least twice the size of your monitor). Plus you'll get dowloadeable content on xbox live (if you have it - which would be good, as I also do)

King_Ghidra
29-07-2003, 11:46:26
hmm fair point, my main problem with my xbox is that i have to fight my gf for use of my lovely big tv, whereas with the pc i am happily tucked away in the corner of the lounge

actually i have heard some people produce a little dongle which allows the xbox to be plugged into a pc monitor...

maroule
29-07-2003, 11:53:26
hence negating the xbox greatest advantage

the battle for the TV is a struggle all couples undertake. I see two options, dumping your gf (you mentionned that after your gladstonbury WE) or waiting for her to go to bed (my tactic with Julia - big shortcoming : playing xbox games usually work me up and I can't sleep well right afterwards)

Corwin
30-07-2003, 16:35:30
My character has gotten really evil. Getting dark side points requires you to kill or screw over quite a few people. It's fun, though.

We just finished the first world, having finally obtained our starship. It's called the Ebon Hawk, and resembles a certain Corellian freighter from the movies. You can walk around in it, use it's storage for your excess gear, and it has a workbench so you can modify your equipment. (That is very handy.) Force training appears to be just around the corner, so we should be building a lightsaber soon.

King_Ghidra
30-07-2003, 17:21:46
Do you have to play a force user?

Darkstar
30-07-2003, 18:46:03
Corwin... in old SW canon, that model Corellian Freighter was supposed to be the most manufactored ship, ever. And about equal to the old U.S. Liberty ships, AIR...

Venom
30-07-2003, 19:19:21
That was why it could go anywhere. It look like every other piece of junk. Perfect for smuggling.

BigGameHunter
30-07-2003, 20:48:37
I thought this was a game about King Arthur and stuff and couldn't figure out wtf you were going on about with light sabers and such...geezus, I'm getting old.
Thank god someone mentioned "Corellian"...I'd have been lost forever.

DaShi
07-08-2003, 18:13:56
Were they named after Lando Corellian?

King_Ghidra
07-08-2003, 18:16:38
own goal

DaShi
07-08-2003, 18:23:03
:coolgrin: Must be more subtle in the future.