PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read A simple Plan?

Lady_of_Chicken
05-02-2002, 18:57:54
By, Scott Smith.

Steven King's review: Simply the best suspense novel of the year!

This book came out in 1993. The thing that interested me was the fact that this novel grew from a short story that Scott Smith wrote for a creative writing class (I read that in a Writer's Guide--1996?). It was made into a movie.

Is that the big ticket, or what!?!?!

So what makes it a good book, what made it a national best seller?

If you haven't heard of it, here's the scoop: Two brothers and a friend find $4 million in the cockpit of a downed plane. The pilot is dead. No one is looking for the money. To keep it, all they have to do is wait. It all sounded so simple...

But from the moment their plan is set in motion, Hank Mitchell's well-ordered life spins out of control, sending him on a downward spiral of deceit, treachery and blackmail--total chaos leading to the unthinkable...cold-blooded murder. Doomed to keep the secret of the money safe, hank will kill and kill again, helped by the most calculating accomplice of all--his pregnant wife, Sarah.

A Simple Plan plunges you into the world of a seemingly rational man whose descent into madness and murder will chill you to the bone. A masterpiece of psychological suspense, it will leave you to wonder how far YOU would go to hold onto a dream.

----

Well, it didn't quite do that for me, but he begins the book with a quote from Mary Wollstonekraft: No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.

---

So far as I know Scott Smith has yet to write anything else, or write anything else that grabs so much attention.

For me, the first big thing is to get published and grab attention. The next is to be able to do it again.