PDA

View Full Version : Championship Manager 4 - "Enhancement" Pack 5

Resource Consumer
24-07-2003, 10:18:33
Well, finally after 5 goes at squeezing out the bugs it seems that Sports Interactive are just about there. This patch (come on, be honest, that's what it is) seems to have solved most of the problems in the game. It sure runs a whole lot better.

If you just want the patch then it is here (ftp://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/championshipmanager4/patches/408_enhance_nodata.exe)

Patch with data update is here (ftp://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/championshipmanager4/patches/408_enhance.exe)

This is supposed to be the last patch according to SI which means it is a bit of a pity that it still has the captain changing bug in it.

maroule
24-07-2003, 12:22:47
I'm having a long term game in progress with the 02/03 edition (the kind where you play 15 years and change clubs 4 times, and manage your national team), very enjoyable

frankly, is it worth I stop it and stat CM4?

Resource Consumer
24-07-2003, 12:27:31
Probably not. After EP5, though, the game is certainly very playable (which it was not before - also there is a fix for the captain bug). I quite like the 2d representation where you can really see where your players are out of position etc. Also good is the customisable training.

So, if was starting a new game (which I did last night) then I would certainly choose CM4 but if I was engrossed in an existing one then I would say that you could be better off sticking with it.

Sean
24-07-2003, 12:49:55
So I should buy it now?

Resource Consumer
24-07-2003, 13:03:30
It is playable and enjoyable. There are some small bugs in it but I would recommend.

fp
24-07-2003, 13:17:21
I'm waiting for the 03/04 version (surely there will be one) before buying. I played the Demo/Beta and found the bugs far too annoying, although the game has a lot of promise.

Out of interest ... what is "the Captain bug"?

Resource Consumer
24-07-2003, 15:37:02
Agreed, and I think other enhancements that would allow you to save training schedules etc would be included in 03/04.

OK, sometimes, no matter who you set as your captain in the tacticsa screen, the captaincy reverts to the goalkeeper during the match. The trick, though, is to click and drag the "captain" tab using the RIGHT mouse button. Then it sticks on the desired player.

King_Ghidra@home
03-08-2003, 20:31:11
Finally got into this properly this weekend after grabbing EP5.

First off, i'm really converted to the 2d match view, really good. Got me genuinely excited several times this weekend. In fact i did literally jump out of my seat and punch the air at one point :bounce:

It seems a lot quicker since i first played the non patched version, and as my pc hardware hasn't changed, i'm guessing that's a fix :)

On the CM4 boards there has been a lot of concern about morale see-sawing ridiculously after wins and losses, and being too great an influcence on the game, to the extent that you end up having high morale win streaks of 10 games and then after a loss, low morale losing streaks for 10 games. Well, i haven't experienced that yet, that's all i can say.

Halfway through my first season and my Parma team is doing a very respectable job, with the two Adrians (adrian mutu and adriano) absolutely awesome up front. Everyone's favourite, phillipe mexes has been drafted in to strengthen my back line and now i'm off to get knocked out of the cup by roma :p

maroule
04-08-2003, 07:22:56
quite amazing, but Mexes has been 'programed' to greatness by the french federal detection/training structures since he is 16 years old (that's when I read the first article on France Football on him). CM did a great job in incorporating him so early (IMO as soon as the 99 edition - must be checked).

Sean
04-08-2003, 11:01:15
Heck, they got Arjen Robben early too. Maybe since before that Groningen - PSV match.

Resource Consumer
05-08-2003, 22:29:03
K_G. I think the morale issue was more with EP4 in that it always tended to go very low. I am not sure that there have been such problems with see-saw in EP5 although I think you may be right in that some claim that the "last game" weighting compared with, say, "last five" might still be too high.

All I can say is that after 6 consecutive loses for the mighty Woking, one solitary win did bugger all for them.

Nav
14-08-2003, 09:46:30
Not surprising. :D

I bought this yesterday, running a test to see how fast it goes, playing Watford with just the main english leagues.

Quoted as 40-1 for promotion, so far won 3, drawn 1, lost 1. Two players out to long term injuries.

Venom
14-08-2003, 12:02:59
Give me CM2000/01 any time. Thanks again RC.

Sean
14-08-2003, 12:09:08
01/02 is the best still. Now at the end of 2009, suffering a bit of a slump.

Nav
14-08-2003, 15:34:39
Ouch. my scout just recommended Jimmy Davis. :(

Venom
14-08-2003, 15:43:52
FIRE HIM!

Nav
15-08-2003, 09:46:13
This current game is a lesson in mediocrity, five 1-0 defeats in a row. :(

King_Ghidra@home
16-08-2003, 21:38:36
that isn't mediocre, that's shit.

Nav
17-08-2003, 15:48:46
Shit is losing 5-0 four times on the trot. :)

The second season is much better, despite the tendancy for my strikers to break their legs.. :cry:

Sean
17-08-2003, 17:40:56
Just started as Dunfermline. Probably have less money than RC’s Woking side, but still managed to draw 0-0 at Ibrox.

King_Ghidra@home
17-08-2003, 19:34:44
my parma team finished their first season third, well ahead of the board's and the bookmaker's expectations. unfortunately an early exit from the uefa and a semi final exit from the cup meant no silverware.

this season a couple of fresh faces and a winning start to my champions league campaign promise much.

my 3-5-2 is still holding strong, and playing counter attack and defensive mentality away from home normally works wonders

adrian mutu and adriano up front for me are absolutely incredible, i cannot quite express how good they are. With colombian wonderkid johnnier montano and barca reject geovanni as backups, look out world

Sean
17-08-2003, 19:43:27
Adriano always scores free kicks against my Atalanta side.

Thankfully their defence usually goes to pieces. They had three players sent off against me once, including two keepers, as we scored seven.

King_Ghidra@home
17-08-2003, 20:16:23
:lol:

i lost my season opener to atalanta :bash:

my team is pretty mean defensively. I'm a fairly conservative manager, and my 3-5-2 usually features two defensive midfielders of the keane school

The Shaker
18-08-2003, 11:16:36
I got fecked of with my Man U team losing 6 straight games (included gong out in the opening rounds of both cups) that i did a kevin keegan and quit.
Then I mooched around all summer being England manager before taking up a post at Burnley. (obviously whilst still managing England)

King_Ghidra
18-08-2003, 12:20:36
was that in cm4? with ep5?

christ ric, what were you doing to lose 6 games in a row?

The Shaker
18-08-2003, 13:44:38
Nah 00/01
Dunno, they were going great,
I'd brought in lizarazu, he fitted in,played really well, then they started losing for no reason. I brought in figo, then got pissed off,
and because the 'execute players' button wasn't workin decided to go for a new challenge. i mean the team had won the double the season before. so it must have been me.

Nav
19-08-2003, 15:32:20
Uh? what happened to the last two days? This game is too addictive.

The Shaker
19-08-2003, 17:33:01
same here , I bought it after my last post and spent the rest of yesterday and today on it.
not a bad game actually.
I love the 2d view thig, takes me back to football manager on the speccy.

King_Ghidra@home
19-08-2003, 17:35:12
yeah the 2d thing r0xx0rs, no going back now

Sean
19-08-2003, 17:40:25
Still on 01/02 here. Too much time invested in it, and I have the Incredible Rotating Front Three: seven (or was it eight?) forwards got into double figures for me over the course of the season, but none reached twenty.

The Shaker
19-08-2003, 17:56:06
Is that some sort of table football game?

Sean
26-08-2003, 21:50:56
OK, borrowed CM4 from a friend, downloaded EP5, playing it…not bad. Interface is still a bit poo, but I can live with it because the match view is superb.

Somewhat suspicious at some of the results, though: Valencia winning 5-1 in the Barnebeu, Betis winning 6-2 in the Nou Camp, Atletico winning 5-4 there, Nikolaidis and Kluivert greedily hoarding the goals. Then there are the players: John Carew as La Liga’s top scorer, Gary Neville World Footballer of the Year.

Have I turned off a ‘make sense, damnit’ setting somewhere?

Nav
26-08-2003, 22:15:27
Make sure you set the style to 'Ter' or whatever it's called. The others are just downright ugly.

I've just started my sixth season with Watford, finally got into the premiership!

Sean
26-08-2003, 22:34:35
Ooh. So smooth, so spacious, so under-stated. It somehow feels all so much better now.

Venom
27-08-2003, 00:12:37
Did you say poo?

maroule
27-08-2003, 07:08:05
bought it, played it, got furious over a string of poor results, then reverted to CM 01/02 where I'm God

King_Ghidra
27-08-2003, 07:47:26
chicken

maroule
27-08-2003, 08:02:02
with 3 legs?

King_Ghidra@home
27-08-2003, 19:17:05
Season 2 with parma and unlike the real team i still have the wonderboy mutu up front :)

just got this message though
'sabri lamouchi will be out for about 4 months with a fractured skull' :eek: Ouch!
better cut back on that 'piggy in the middle' training :nervous:

maroule@home
27-08-2003, 19:35:05
it must be a deliverance for him

Nav
27-08-2003, 20:52:07
I just get my guys practicing penalties all week. :D

fp
27-08-2003, 22:16:40
I bit the bullet and bought this game today - the start of the season brings strange and irresistable urges to the surface. ;)
Already downloaded EP5, but will have to wait a couple of days before I have a chance to really get into it.

Any "must know" tips for the first-time manager? (well, first time to CM4 anyway).

The demo didn't have full database so I'm not up on who are the surprisingly good obscure youngsters in this version. Any recommendations? (I know part of the fun is finding them for yourself, but if I'm gonna play as Spurs I'll need all the help I can get :D)

King_Ghidra@home
27-08-2003, 22:32:39
Originally posted by maroule@home
it must be a deliverance for him

that's a very clever joke, perhaps no one else understood it

fp, no real tips spring to mind, i'm finding that the same kind of tactics and things i always do still work pretty much the same.

as for young players, err, well both adriano and adrian mutu at parma are fucking amazing, but they may be out of your price range :cute:

i picked up geovanni from barcelona very cheaply because he wasn't gettng first team football there, and he has turned out very nicely. In fact i always try the fringe players at the big european clubs, some good stuff for bargain prices there.

oh actually andres d'alessandro of river plate looks amazing in my game, but i don't need him :cute:

Sean
27-08-2003, 22:44:48
I thought everyone understood it.

There are a huge amount of players who you can grab on the (relatively) cheap: Arca, Mexes, Radoi, and Albrechtsen seems to be a good, cheap, young back four. Haven’t investigated forward players as I have Aimar and John ‘goal a game, every game’ Carew up front.

But then I have the latest CM Sorted update.

Nav
27-08-2003, 22:49:49
I didnt get in to buying players in my first (and so far current game). I had a 60k transfer budget for the first two seasons!

Sean
27-08-2003, 22:55:57
I had 20m :cool:, plus a weekly wage budget of about 750k (!).

King_Ghidra
01-09-2003, 09:23:29
Just finished my second season with Parma, after leading serie a at xmas, i suffered an incomprehenisble loss of form and ended up 3rd again, which still exceeded the board's expectations, and not bad with a transfer budget of 5m.
I also had a heart-breaking defeat on penalites in the italian cup final and my european adventure ended against Valencia in the second knock-out stage.

Nevertheless the european adventure netted about 15m and what with some other good dealing and trimming the squad i've put a lot of money in the club coffers. The board have decided it's time to challenge for the title and have given me 27m quid to spend in this off season. Although amusingly they phrased it thus: 'After your extravagant transfer spending last season (the 5m) the board have decided to cap this year's budget at 27m'

fp
01-09-2003, 09:59:27
It's the middle of November for my Spurs team and so far things are very realistic. 12th in the league, can't find a settled formation, leaky defense and struggling to score goals, knocked out of the league cup.

Strangely my players often play well (most games half the team get an 8 rating) and yet I rarely get good results. I'm doing something wrong.

Sean
01-09-2003, 13:07:24
Started as Crystal Palace yesterday. Opened the campagin with five narrow wins. Even at home I have a back four with two defensive midfielders, and then two very attacking wingers to supply the strikers.

Suffered an injury crisis and lost a couple, including one to Burnley where my keeper got injured and I clicked the wrong button so he wasn’t subbed, and Glen Little just lifted the free kick into the goal. Seem to be back on track now, though, after thrashing Cardiff.

The Shaker
02-09-2003, 10:12:53
Amusing for me was watching the 2d match when bartez ran miles out of his area to get the ball but was to slow and was chipped from fucking miles out.
I screamed at that screen.

Nav
02-09-2003, 10:28:46
Biggest moment so far (after playing 5 seasons with Watford). Winning the semi-finals of the play-offs against Nottm forest last season. All season my home form had been brilliant, I'd only lost 2 I think, but after drawing 0-0 at home I thought I'd missed my chance. In the away leg I was down 1-0 at half-time, and judging by my away form, I didnt stand a chance in hell of equalising. Somehow I did, my star striker Tommy Smith scoring a headed goal late in the half. oh did I celebrate. Went on to win the play-off final 1-0 v Brighton.

Sean
02-09-2003, 15:02:43
I have to play Watford in the last match of the season. Hope they don’t trip my promotion bid up.

Nav
02-09-2003, 23:25:07
I had a really vivid dream about playing champ man last night. I remember I bought a really good looking Liverpool wing back (i recall reading the stats in the dream...) for only 250k.

Definately a dream. :)

Sean
02-09-2003, 23:33:02
Well that’s about the value Houllier places on width.

King_Ghidra
03-09-2003, 08:20:34
Having a fascinating off season trying to spend my millions. It was proving very difficult to lure away the top players. Repeated bids for emre and damien duff were going nowhere, and attempts to get hold of a couple of ajax wingers (van der vaart?) were going the same way.

I ended up abandoning my bids for a new left sided midfielder and spending 16m on kevin hofland to sure up the back line, despite my assistant manager telling me he 'didn't think he would become a regular memeber of the first team' :rolleyes: This for a player who polled 8's in virtually every game he played in two seasons.

Negotiations with fabio cannavaro of inter were very frustrating, from the original offer of 60k a week and a 1m signing on fee he then said the signing on fee was too low and i bumped that up to 2m. Then he said the wages were two low and i bumped them up to 70k a week. Then he said they were still too low and after i offered 75k a week he said he wasn't interested. Asshole.

I sold hidetoshi nakata to atletico madrid for 7.75m so i've still got about 18-20m burning a hole in my pocket and about a month of the off season left. Now mr Duff, where were we...

maroule
03-09-2003, 08:32:28
I'm in 2012 on CM02, running on two leagues, the french and english, and I change club every two years
very entertaining
I'm still waiting to get offered the job for a big english club, but all I got was middleborough :( still took it from 1st div to 2nd in PL in two years, with totally new players to me (darren bent? graham chapman? chris holmes? olivier guichard? probably all randomly generated)

Sean
03-09-2003, 16:05:44
Darren Bent plays for Ipswich.

The best thing about 01/02 is that I can run more leagues. When I leave Atalanta I could go to Holland, England, Portugal, Spain, Germany, France, or Scotland. That’s a nice set of options to have,

Sean
03-09-2003, 16:10:05
K_G: this is still 4, yes? In 01/02 I very rarely pay a club for a player, just snap them up when their contract expires. So far I have collected Terry, Zambrotta, Davids, and Yakubu (to name a few) using that approach.

Sean
03-09-2003, 22:01:12
Big decision time: Schalke just sacked their manager. They have a decent, if small, squad, a stadium or twice the size of this poky dump, and are in the German Second Division, so goals should be modest. On the downside, the players aren’t happy and the average age of the first team is 30.

Having only won four from nine in the league (although I did top my CL group in the first stage), I’m tempted to jump ship if it all goes horribly wrong in this next match away to table-topping Roma. A win, and we’re back in it. A loss, and we could be cut adrift of the rest (yes, already).

maroule
04-09-2003, 07:29:09
on expiring contracts in 01/02, that's also my favorite tool : right now in Middleborough, I have Trezeguet (35 years old), Walter Samuel (about 34 or 35) Marco Ferrari and just got Tomas Rosicky (32) through it

starting the game, you can get Kiko, West and Lepaul for free

Sean
04-09-2003, 13:03:01
Hmm, I prefer to sign them when they are about 10 years younger, so I can then sell them.

Venom
04-09-2003, 13:07:55
I agree. Bought Samuel at 24 for 15 million. Sold him 3 years later for 38 million.

Bought a Spanish defender named Cesar at 23 for 20 million, sold him 2 years later at 50 million.

Sean
04-09-2003, 13:10:37
I’ve yet to sell a player for 10m or more in this game (altohugh if I can persuade Inter to take Bostian that will all change), and yet have still made over 100m profit on transfers.

Oh, I turned down the Schalke job: they re-hired the bloke they sacked in the first place.

Sean
04-09-2003, 13:11:25
I mean, how do you get people to pay 50m for someone?

maroule
04-09-2003, 13:14:08
I normally play small clubs to start with, like Rennes in France, so there's not a chance Samuel would come to play for me until he turns geriatric. Now, if I had Man U or Lazio, that'd be different...

surprisingly, in the last decade, at least half the top 10 players in my leagues have been older than 32. Right now, the number one player in england is a 35 years old winger...
I used to ditch players after 33, but now my team is like a retirement house

Venom
04-09-2003, 13:14:44
I have no idea how it happened. Everyone on my team started getting pissed at Cesar so I had to sell him to someone. Real Madrid wanted him and I kept refusing their offers until they ponied up 50 million. Then I had to take it.

Sean
04-09-2003, 13:16:03
Originally posted by maroule
I normally play small clubs to start with, like Rennes in France, so there's not a chance Samuel would come to play for me until he turns geriatric. Now, if I had Man U or Lazio, that'd be different.
I was playing as Atalanta. OK, granted, lots of good young players, but no money and a shit stadium.

maroule
04-09-2003, 13:21:55
I've played most french french clubs, including the biggest ones like PSG/Lyon/Marseilles, and I never ever atracted players like Samuel, Totti, Cannavaro or Nesta

but that's fairly realistic :(

Sean
21-09-2003, 12:42:51
Originally posted by Sean
Thankfully their [Parma’s] defence usually goes to pieces.
If proof was required:
http://www.counterglow.com/upload/sean/cm_0102_stingy_atalanta.jpg

(The 2-0 home loss to Milan was deliberate: I wanted to finish second in the group to avoid Roma and Barca. Pro Patria are an amazing story. Their stadium is only capable of holding 5,000, but ahead of Inter in the league.)

Venom
22-09-2003, 12:10:58
Just over the weekend I had Ac Milan offer 53 million for Walter Samuel.

Resource Consumer
22-09-2003, 13:00:49
They offered me 63 million for Walter Mitty

maroule
22-09-2003, 13:21:20
Ferguson offered 81 million for Walter Matthau : he wants another grumpy old man as a side kick

Venom
22-09-2003, 13:36:35
HARR HARR HARR

Nav
22-09-2003, 15:45:11
I'm thinking about selling my star 23 year old winger for 11mil+. For Watford that would be a lot of money. I only have 3.6mil transfer budget at the moment (which is bettert than the 24k at the beginning!)

I really need a class central mid-fielder if I'm going to acheive the 'safe mid-table position in the premiership'. Slightly high expectations after only one season in it!

CM4 seems much more stable in terms of longer term realism, previous versions were very random (although Everton dropping to the third divsion was a bit extreme). It also seems it is more possible to develop a team into a 'big club'. We'll see on that one though.

Sean
22-09-2003, 17:12:43
I have kinda-developed Atalanta into a big club. I just this season sold three quality South American playmakers, and three experienced internationals (including my best two players). In their place I have raided Ajax and Como. So we have spending power, but a shit stadium.

Oh, and among those transfers was a new record: 18m for a brilliant Brazilian AM/F C with an eight-game Italian league suspension.

maroule@home
22-09-2003, 17:29:35
Cantonadino?

The Shaker
10-04-2004, 12:16:15
This is back on, with the data update from christmas.
am having fun playing as chelski
trouble is i can't find anyone who wants any of my 83 million that i have to spend on transfers.

fp@korea
12-04-2004, 01:20:13
Kieron Dyer is top quality and can be had for about 25-30 million at the start of the game. Play him in central midfield or right wing and he's almost guaranteed to average 7.9 for you over the season.

Andres D'Alessandro is a great striker you can get for less than 15 million. So is Olisadebe.

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-04-2004, 09:56:12
Originally posted by The Shaker
This is back on, with the data update from christmas.
am having fun playing as chelski
trouble is i can't find anyone who wants any of my 83 million that i have to spend on transfers.

That's a bastard, isn't it? I ended up paying 42 million for Walter Samuel just to feel like I was doing something.

fp@korea
14-04-2004, 01:10:11
I tried to buy Joaquin from Betis but they wouldn't take a penny less than 85 million pounds. Fucking bastards.