PDA

View Full Version : Combat Mission

Beta1
13-11-2001, 17:08:18
Come on guys go and buy this or I'll have to face supersneak and mtg alone!

It seems pretty good but bloody hard. Even the AI is beating me at the moment.

Resource Consumer
13-11-2001, 17:09:56
Link? Reviews?

PosterBoy
14-11-2001, 14:09:21
I don't like bloody hard games

I'm stuck on Project igi and now I've had to re install, I have to start all over again.

PosterBoy
16-11-2001, 09:11:53
Try www.battlefront.com or www.combatmission.com

reviews look good, there a downloadable demo too

MtG
30-11-2001, 21:02:39
It's really not that bloody hard. There's a learning curve at first of tactics and unit types, but you don't have to "know" anything.

Playing through the different scenarios that ship with the game (about 50, plus at least 1,000 third party scenarios that we're cataloging at FFZ) or making up your own little quick battles, you'll learn what works and what doesn't pretty quick, and absorb it intuitively.

There are two basic lesson: Use the terrain!

and: "Don't fight "fair" - ambush the sons of bitches and pile on!

If you run up over top of the hill and charge, you'll get your ass handed back to you, and deservedly so. If you learn to work the terrain, and look for local fights where you outnumber the other guy, you'll do well.

Resource Consumer
30-11-2001, 21:09:55
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive - I ordered it from the French affiliate.

BTW, does it come in a big box or a dvd style thing? (wondering about the postman getting it through the door). When it arrives, I shall be over to FFZ - home of all things Combat Mission to seek your wisdom.

(MtG, I PMed you there - I still have some problems with posting.)

MtG
01-12-2001, 03:06:15
It comes in a stantard game box, not oversized.

I assume the way they do the distro packages is the same in Europe, but MOBIUS just got his yesterday, so he'd know.

The game ships with the current patch level (currently 1.12) and some of the vehicle and sound mods are preinstalled (MDMP-1, the Mad Dog Mod Pack 1) to enhance some of the graphics.

The manual is 175 pages, 5" x 7" and is pretty straightforward in layout. You don't need to refer to it much, the interface and game play is real straightforward.

Venom
01-12-2001, 03:46:22
Can a moron like myself be successful at this game?

MtG
01-12-2001, 04:47:31
Anyone can be - you have to learn some patience though. The "rover rush" tactic will get you unmercifully slaughtered in this game, just like real life. That's (IMO) a BS weakness in most RTS/TBS games.

If you think about the game from a "real world" perspective - "there's 800 Kraut sonsofbitches over that ridge looking to kill my ass" then you wouldn't just blindly charge over the hill.

After playing for a while, you start developing instincts for the maps - thinking about how close you can sneak up to the other guy's positions, how can he sneak up to you, how can you fool him, etc.

Like real combat, terrain is everything - and in CM, it's seasonal - trees lose their leaves, wheatfields grow tall then get harvested, and it's time of day and weather dependent. You can't run far in mud or deep snow, and fog muffles sounds.

So basically, you learn to be patient - move your guys into good positions, where they're safe, but can move up and fire very quickly, and then scout the terrain carefully to see where the other guys are. Defense is fun, you can spring some major ambushes on the unwary, and there's nothing like pulling off a good successful attack and watching the other guys' troops belly crawl for cover or break and run. :D :D :D :D

Download and check out the demo from www.battlefront.com and play the two scenarios a few times. You'll start to learn what does and what doesn't work.

Venom
01-12-2001, 04:50:16
Hmmmm. So I DON'T charge the 800 guys? That's a new idea.

I suppose I'll need heavy training.

I'll give the demo a try.

Venom
01-12-2001, 04:54:58
Ahhhhh, 300K a second. The beauty of a rapid download. The demo is mine!

Resource Consumer
01-12-2001, 11:06:14
It has arrived.:)

Interesting, no box, CD inside manual. I can live with that - it is the arrogants like Firaxis who have a huge box and then no case.

Installation will follow.

Darkstar
03-12-2001, 08:34:10
I think Firaxis spent all their money on the tins, so couldn't afford any real CD covers. ;)

Beta1
03-12-2001, 10:27:20
just remembered keiths ability to dislike every strategy game ever. Could this be first.....

Resource Consumer
03-12-2001, 12:35:52
Ye of little faith.

It could be. I rather like this one.

Guy_Incognito
06-12-2001, 09:03:40
I own the full version of CMBO, it cost me $85 cdn, but it was probably the best money I've ever spent on a game. Certainly a winner + one of the best modded games anywere.

Hey R_C check your ICQ transcripts you daft panzy! -I was trying to talk you into DL'ing the Combat Mission demo back on Oct 1st 2000, and you told me to get bent... -I never say "I told you so" and I don't like people who do, but... ah screw it, no one listens to me anyway...

BigGameHunter
06-12-2001, 17:06:13
A truly awesome game.

Beta1
06-12-2001, 17:46:58
BOOM? let me guess - british 4" off map artillery shell?

Yup its a fantastic game - been playing 3 weeks and still havnt scratched the surface. Just found out the joy of pillboxes - In my latest game I'm about to chew up an allied armor advance with one. Reckon it should get at least 3 shermans in the next three turns...

BigGameHunter
06-12-2001, 18:08:56
Careful! I've noticed that Pillboxes can be taken out pretty easily for some reason...and with smoke and their inability to move, they can be incapacitated without destroying them.

What/how do you usually play?
I do a lot of Meeting Engagements...used to play Allies exclusively, but now am checking out the Axis.

I like a good tank battle, myself.
:)

Darkstar
09-12-2001, 09:15:39
You guys do realize that FreeFireZone is focusing on CM? Got at least on of the serious mod guys posting regular on it, and growing slowly, which is to say, growing more then any other CM site/forum. ;)

Go on over and check out the CM stuff.

MtG
09-12-2001, 19:56:50
As soon as I get the CD from the mod developers (should be the end of this coming week or the beginning of the next, depending on Christmas season mail speed, we're the new host for the Desert Fox/Desert Rats group's North African campaign total conversion mod and scenarios.

Resource Consumer
09-12-2001, 20:58:54
Originally posted by Guy_Incognito
I own the full version of CMBO, it cost me $85 cdn, but it was probably the best money I've ever spent on a game. Certainly a winner + one of the best modded games anywere.

Hey R_C check your ICQ transcripts you daft panzy! -I was trying to talk you into DL'ing the Combat Mission demo back on Oct 1st 2000, and you told me to get bent... -I never say "I told you so" and I don't like people who do, but... ah screw it, no one listens to me anyway...

You want me to admit you were right?:D

Good call. (transcripts are being checked, don't you worry)

Fine game:D

Beta1
10-12-2001, 11:03:19
BigGameHunter - Hmm smoke clever. But does you no good when the pillbox gets your tanks in the first turn! (got lucky with the terrain, large hill with wood on top with very little for AI to hide armor in). I've never had much luck taking out pillboxes from a distance - 76mm AT just bounces off them even 88/105mm howitzers dont really do the job unless you get a lucky shot through the slit. Best way I've found is to simply go around them whenever possible then flank them with infantry.

used my first 14inch naval artillery this weekend. The spotting round took out about 3 companys of infantry that got caught advancing in the open - the blast waves on those things are enormous!

Resource Consumer
10-12-2001, 11:54:39
Originally posted by Darkstar
You guys do realize that FreeFireZone is focusing on CM? Got at least on of the serious mod guys posting regular on it, and growing slowly, which is to say, growing more then any other CM site/forum. ;)

Go on over and check out the CM stuff.

Um...er....yes we do, yes we do and yes we have.:)

FFZ is this forum's recommendation for all things CM.

PosterBoy
10-12-2001, 12:30:38
I might have to get this game for Christmas

How much is it in

Beta1
10-12-2001, 12:32:18
Dunno what the exchange rate is at the moment but it cost me $55 inc postage, tax etc.

PosterBoy
13-12-2001, 11:59:30
I downloaded the demo yesterday, God I suck at this game.

i will see if I get better before I buy it.

MtG
14-12-2001, 01:56:30
You will, pretty quickly. CM is realistic enough that a lot of the BS that other war games and TBS games let you get away with just doesn't fly.

You have to unlearn a lot of bad habits first, but after 3-4 tries. you start getting much better at it.

Cumber
14-12-2001, 01:57:20
Combat Mission finally arrived a couple of days ago. :) :)

OldWarrior_42
14-12-2001, 05:08:47
Is this game TBS or RTS ? Is it good for single player?

Tell me more. I enjoy Axis and Allies, so I imagine this game to hopefully be head over heels above that.

Darkstar
14-12-2001, 09:23:36
It's a simul TBS game, Old Warrior.
Remember, FreeFireZone is the place to hear them talking about it. ;)

MtG
18-12-2001, 06:00:32
Tom - this game kicks ass for fun, replayability, intensity, modifiability, you name it, over axis and allies or any other war game out there.

You give orders TBS, in single or multiplayer, then when you're done, you hit the GO button, and your opponent (human or computer) does his orders, then you get a movie file that shows all the orders for all the units on both sides getting executed in real time.

So it requires a a fairly good amount of planning, but not a lot of micromanagement at all. It's a lot of fun trying to figure out what the other guy is going to do and where, and you can tweak the time of day, weather, and seaons, plus change the balance of forces, so that no matter how good (or not) you are, you can get the AI to give you a decent game.

In addition to randomly generated quick battles, there's over 1000 scenarios online, and some 50 that ship with the game. Since I got it, it's become the only game I play.

OldWarrior_42
18-12-2001, 06:19:56
This sounds like a wargame that I will definitely buy as soon as the new computer gets here. Thanks Mike.

And DS... I know the CM talk is at FFZ, but I saw this thread here first and figured I would ask. But I appreciate the help in letting me know where all the heavy action of strats etc... is. Once I get the game, I assume that is where I will get most of my reading and info from. :)

Resource Consumer
18-12-2001, 10:16:02
FFZ has a growing amount of content on CM. Actually, do you need a new computer? I asked the experts over there and I think you may be OK on your existing setup.