PDA

View Full Version : Lament for lost things

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
19-07-2003, 02:30:47
Before the Web, there was still the Internet. And there were multiplayer Internet games.

Back in 1992 I was introduced to one, much to the chagrin of my university IT department. Seems that almost all the University was hooked on MUDs. The first one I was introduced to was called the Marches of Antan, and I have never found it's like again.

I must have wasted hours on the damn thing between classes at Uni, to the point where on days where I'd have an hour class in the morning I'd spend the rest of the day in the Mac computer lab (the only one with a decent GUI) just to play online.

Later, I bought myself a US$200 14.4k modem and got myself a US$30 a year UNIX shell text-only internet account. I was single-handedly responsible for changing their policy on logins - initially it was unlimited time online per day, but that dropped down to four hours maximum when it was discovered that I was continually hogging 1 of the 2 modems the guy had as dial-in lines :)

When that happened, I hopped across to a rival ISP and stayed there for the next few years, still a shell account. I'd never even seen the web, until I discovered Lynx. When I upgraded my PC to a Win95 system in 1996, the Web took over, and I turned my back on Antan.

I don't know what happened to the place, but it was hosted by UCSD, I think, and might have been run by a group of students who moved on. Whatever it was, it's gone now, and so with it goes a big chunk of my on-line life.

:(

Anyone else had any similar experiences with cool online communities?

MDA
19-07-2003, 16:15:08
The Firaxis boards. Good times.

I tended to waste my time playing Punch-Out in the arcade between classes. I was good at it, and you couldn't get anywhere near the Street Fighter machine, which was the only other game worth playing.

MDA
19-07-2003, 16:15:47
Body blow! Body blow! Knock him out!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
21-07-2003, 15:49:29
I never was much into the arcade scene. The few that I did have exposure to were at the roller skating rink they had when I was really young. Oh, and the bowling alley we went to for PE in school (where no-one bowled, we all just sat around taking turns on Tiger Heli).