PDA

View Full Version : Lou Reed's Berlin

King_Ghidra
18-07-2003, 08:36:41
Great and depressing album, as previously discussed

something is puzzling me though, i have heard two versions of the actual song berlin, one is a kind of lounge piano version, about 5 1/2 minutes long, which i belive is the opener from the album (i'm ashamed to say i don't actually own it).

The other version i have heard is about 3 1/2 minutes long and has a weird sample at the beginning with some guy counting down in german and then goes into a group of people singing happy birthday. This version is a lot more restrained and sad than the former, and if i understand correctly isn't on the album.

Anyone know more about it?

btw i have a live version of the former whch pisses all over the one on the album imho, if anyone would like to hear it

Debaser
18-07-2003, 10:12:12
The lounge piano version of Berlin is definately the album opener.

I'm not a major fan of Berlin. Its not that I think there is anything wrong with it, I just prefer other albums from the Lou Reed/Velvet Underground back catalogue. In my opinion White Light White Heat, Transformer, and V.U & Nico are all miles better. Having said that I've not listened to Berlin anywhere near as often as those others so maybe, given a chance, it could be up there.

BigGameHunter
18-07-2003, 15:00:30
Does this mean that Berlin is going to release an album called "Lou Reed"?

Kind of like the Judas Priest/Joan Baez (or was it Joni Mitchell or someone?) incident.

Scabrous Birdseed
18-07-2003, 17:19:34
I think Loud Reed was just trying too hard with this one- intentionally brought-on pseudo-fake depression never suited anyone. (Me and Debaser listen most to the same three Reed/VU albums, kewl.)

In response to the original query, you're wrong, the short version is off the album and the longer version isn't.

King_Ghidra@home
18-07-2003, 17:37:36
then where does the longer version come from (and why does debaser disagree)?

Scabrous Birdseed
18-07-2003, 17:50:40
I'm not sure why Debaser disagrees, I've got the album right here and I'm listening to the first track and it's 3:24 long, involves a signing of "Happy Birthday" and, admittedly, a lounge piano but you never said the shorter one didn't.

The longer version comes from his (rather crap) debut Solo album, the self-titled effort from 1971. No I'd never heard of it either.

Debaser
18-07-2003, 17:52:41
I don't disagree, I was just confused. The version that opens the album is three and a half minutes long, with some people singing Happy Birthday at the beginning. What confused me was your "lounge piano" comment. I knew the album version was kind of lounge piano so I presumed it must have been the 5.30 version you mentioned, when clearly both versions are kind of loungy.

King_Ghidra@home
18-07-2003, 18:04:59
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed

The longer version comes from his (rather crap) debut Solo album, the self-titled effort from 1971. No I'd never heard of it either.

Aha, ok cheers

the cg information service comes up trumps again :beer:

protein
18-07-2003, 18:16:34
What's a lounge piano? Is it upholstered?

Debaser
18-07-2003, 18:34:27
Yup, with red velvet and tassles.