PDA

View Full Version : What's up with these IT "schools"?

BigGameHunter
12-07-2003, 16:53:04
Hearing a lot of ads for "New Horizons" etc...promising in depth training in the IT field, leading to "average incomes of 75K" per year....etc.
Sounds pretty fishy to me...in only 6-8 months?

zmama
12-07-2003, 16:56:13
http://ewenbell.com/digital/werribee-zoo-residents/5188-a-fishy-look.jpg

BigGameHunter
12-07-2003, 17:10:29
Pretty fishy, eh?
:)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
12-07-2003, 20:26:19
I work for a local government employment and training agency. We have a list of training providers. New Horizons is on it.

We've had nothing but trouble with them. They owe us money. One of their franchises went out of business, owing us money.

They're still on the list (it's State-based) but we try not to do business with them wherever possible.

Asher
13-07-2003, 05:37:45
They're bull.

Darkstar
13-07-2003, 08:52:03
Sounds like pre-bubble burst based advertising.

There was a time a couple of years ago that a 6 week course in HTML coding would enable the certified trained to instant jobs around here for 75K a year. Strangely, none of the people that have that training are still employed as HTML makers. When MS Word will create better web pages at a push of a button, well, it didn't take long to replace them with high school interns at most places I know...

BigGameHunter
15-07-2003, 20:54:38
Damn, so back to school for a CS diploma?
Fuuuuuuuuuck that.

No longer Trippin
16-07-2003, 04:29:16
It's a lot cheaper to buy the books and learn yourself, even if you have to buy the software and basic hardware for most anything in the tech field. Just A+ cert is 4000 for 2 weeks total (for both test) at many places, then you still have to pay to take the test. All they do is tell you what is in the book from what I've been told. What I didn't know I asked or read up on - never took any test other than the two A+ exams, hardware and OS. Passed them rather quickly since it is adaptive. Can set up comps, basic networking, and learning all about SNDS first hand which had to be the highlight, seeing a 500 dollar cpu just die as Northwoods don't like voltage changes much at all. To get MSCE your looking at a ton of money, Novell, the same. Bsaically all of them are going to rape you. Though to have a real chance of landing a job in the tech market you need as many certifications for as many operating systems as possible as the market is flooded. So you have to be rich to have even have a chance of getting rich now. Eventually when the tech market recovers I could see it being owrth the investment for most certs, though not now by a longshot as you'll have to beat back those with experience generally. Know several people who went into CS as a major or took classes on the side for it. Only one has a job in the tech market, and he just builds comps, this is after a CS degree, MSCE, A+, and one other, either Novell or Linux. All he does is build comps for 10 an hour plus crappy benefits. So he needed all that to do a damned easy job that he's WAY overqualified for. One is back in school for business while the other is waiting tables. Glad I didn't go that route.

Sir Penguin
16-07-2003, 04:57:15
If I was in a city where I could live for US$10/hour, I'd love to build computers at that wage. That's actually a fair bit of money if it's full-time (for me, anyway; that's about $2500/month, less $1000 in rent, food, and transportation...). On the other hand, there are other things I'd love to do, too, that are a lot more respectable. The job market's only crap if you're a capitalist pig (and don't want to do tech support).

SP

No longer Trippin
16-07-2003, 07:11:43
Yeah, but when you plan it as a career, and counted on it to support a family it can really fucking suck. They have friends from school that have a family and ten bucks doesn't cut it.

Sir Penguin
16-07-2003, 07:13:42
I don't think I have to worry about a family. :lol:

SP

Beta1
16-07-2003, 12:08:30
Nice fish zmama

Darkstar
17-07-2003, 21:55:37
$10 an hour would suck in the Big Easy, I would guess. As a major metro, it's cost of living has to be higher then the Stix. Out in the Stix, $10 an hour is enough to raise a family on with a nice 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom, 3 car garage house with about 80 acres of land.

Here in Huntsville, $10/Hour is good for a student. Doesn't cut it for a family though. You'd need another partner making the same or better to event think about nearing middle class life style.

And if Trip's friend making $10/Hour is up in NYC... that's like being poor, getting your cigarette and beer money the hard way, isn't it?

Asher
17-07-2003, 23:37:33
The A+ cert is completely worthless, most builders don't even look at it anymore.

No longer Trippin
18-07-2003, 05:24:39
Actually we have a fairly low cost of living compared to elsewhere, and if you go to the outlying areas (about 30 minutes from the actual city limits (not the surburban sprawl around it), the cost is even cheaper. Still, ten dollars isn't much when you have auto and home insurance, food, rent, and other miscelaneous bills to pay. You can get by, but not by much at all.

In New York, you'd literally be living in a closet in some slum if all you were making was ten an hour. The friends I know with degrees have stayed here as it's cheap to live down here, though the market sucks really bad down here, the competition is still to much to have them even thinking of moving. They look on monster and stuff for in and out of state tech work, but they never get the job.

Asher: That's cause a well trained monkey can build a computer now that everything has been PnP for ages. No more having to find the right IRQ and DMA channels as in DOS days. Build the box, slip the CD in, agree to everything, and then let PnP do everything for you.

Personally that is one thing I hate is PnP. On 2000 at least I could disable it without the OS going under. XP gets really pissy when you do it (at least pro does). XP just loves to stack devices on the same IRQ, but is smart enough to use a different mem range, though it would be more efficient on another IRQ that the device will happily run on. I have 4 drivers on one IRQ, two are related, the other two have nothing to do with the rest - so I fail to see why it sets them that way. I'm betting a good third of my IRQ's are completely free due to this. The PCI bus is already choked at 32 bits @ 33mhz, no need to limit it in another fashion.