PDA

View Full Version : All American Noise

Guy
11-07-2003, 17:28:57
Hey, all. Since LWP is coming along almost as fast as the next ice age, I figured that now might be a good time to throw my effort at a big, no-point-to-it-really-other-than-to-spread-my-musical-tastes-around CD together and offer it up for ridicule and analysis.

As the title implies, my thought is to put together a compilation of all American bands as that is what most of y'all have had the least exposure to. This seemed like a great idea when I started, until I realized that my collection is comprised almost entirely of British and east-Asian bands, but after much scraping and digging through boxes I've managed to come up with enough songs I think are worth sharing to offer this puppy up.

Right now, a tenative performer listing would include:

Tommy Keene
Social Distortion
K's Choice
Tom Petty
Tanya Donelly/Belly
Soul Asylum
The Veldt
Violent Femmes
Paula Cole
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Tripping Daisy
Steve Taylor
Collective Soul
Ditch Witch
Todd Snyder
Electrasy
Poole

This is not a definitive list, there are a few others I'm considering and I'm not 100% sure all of these are actually American, so there might be a few deletions once I've done some research.

Anyhoo, how's that sound? As you can see, it's slanted towards late 80's/early 90's alternative rock ('cause that's when I listened to American music the most), but I'll try to throw in some variety to keep it from getting dull. Anyone be interested in that or is it mostly stuff you've all heard already? Obviously there are some big names there that most people know, but which I threw in because they either had a quintessentially American song in their repetoir or because they don't get the attention I think they deserve.

Thoughts? Comments? Expletives? Lemme have 'em.

Funkodrom
11-07-2003, 17:36:39
Sounds good. I have a Collective Soul album (thanks to LadyR's recommendation) and I've heard some of the others but don't own any of it.

I think my CD if I do it will try and concentrate more on Brit/Irish bands from the early 90s and early noughties. There really wasn't much in between that I liked. Might also throw in some American stuff that is big here but not so big there. What I would be going for is a "here's some stuff I really like but you might not have heard in America" collection. Which to Brits might be a "collection of rock songs that I know pretty well"

Debaser
11-07-2003, 17:39:53
Aren't the Jesus and Mary Chain Scottish?

Funkodrom
11-07-2003, 17:45:38
I don't really care if they aren't really all American if they sound good. :)

Mr. Bas
11-07-2003, 17:46:02
K's choice is definitely Belgian. For the rest, it sounds like a good idea, at least I'm familiar with only very few of the bands you mentioned.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-07-2003, 17:48:48
I think you'll find Tripping Daily is a poster on this site, not an american band.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-07-2003, 17:57:31
Er, anyway, the compilations sounds great- maybe you could do something of east asian bands some time as well? It's a part of the world whose music I've been meaning to get into more.

Guy
11-07-2003, 18:01:48
Yeah, as I said some of these I haven't researched yet. Hmmm, maybe I should just do "All Eric-an Noise" and just make a compilation of stuff I like and think you should too.

Funkodrom
11-07-2003, 18:02:51
How about "All um... Eric and Noise"

Guy
11-07-2003, 18:07:15
Well, you know how us Americans are at geography anyway, I could probably get away with putting anything I want on here.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-07-2003, 18:11:48
I ran the proposed names through allmusic.com and they're all american except JAMC, K's and Electracy. Oh and there are like ten different Steve Taylors.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-07-2003, 18:13:26
Do yuo mean this guy: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=6:04:27|PM&sql=B17d8vwbva9yk?

Guy
11-07-2003, 18:25:20
Maybe. :)

Replace K's Choice with Everclear and J&MC with the Goo Goo Dolls, then, and I'll think of some others later. Thanks for the search.

East Asian might be the next one I do, if this goes well.

Debaser
11-07-2003, 18:32:15
Hmm, your CD's slowly turning into the Dawsons Creek OST.

Guy
11-07-2003, 18:41:14
I know, I'm not happy about that. Maybe I'm the wrong person to do an 'All American' compilation. At least not one that's worth listening to.

Guy
11-07-2003, 18:42:23
Ah fuck it.

Change the title from All American Noise, to just All Noise and keep the original listing above, plus some east Asian and a few other sods.

So much for high concept. ;)

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-07-2003, 20:10:05
I'm familiar with about half of those, and they're all bands I like so I'm interested.

BigGameHunter
11-07-2003, 21:19:24
Gimme, gimme!
And where's my review?

Guy
12-07-2003, 20:46:08
The review's coming, I promise. I've only been able to listen to the CD in bits and pieces so far and want to give it a good listen all the way through once before I render judgements. Soon, I promise.

I've come up with enough All American songs to go ahead with the original concept. I'll post a track listing in the next few days and get an official list of interested folks.

protein
12-07-2003, 20:55:58
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Er, anyway, the compilations sounds great- maybe you could do something of east asian bands some time as well? It's a part of the world whose music I've been meaning to get into more.
Wouldn't that be found in the "World Music" section you hated a couple of months ago?

Scabrous Birdseed
12-07-2003, 21:09:11
Not if it's the kind of East Asian music both he and I mean, ie. modern music of the kind (some) young people would listen to.

Guy
13-07-2003, 02:09:41
Yes, the stuff I've been listening to is all from the last ten years or so, and all very definitely youth/club culture oriented. Partly because that's the easiest stuff to find here and also partly because the relatives I have living in that area now all listen to that kind of stuff and thus, it's what I hear the most of.

Don't know whether or not that's 'world music', but there you go.

Guy
14-07-2003, 16:30:23
All right, here's what I've got. The track listing I plan to put together is as follows, assuming I don't have to delete anything for time purposes:

Violent Femmes - American Music
Polara - Allay
Pure - Pure
Tripping Daisy - Lost and Found
The Veldt - It's Over
Tanya Donnely - Pretty Deep
Poole - Strawberry Kool-Aid Smile
Everclear - Brown Eyed Girl
Paula Cole - Bethlehem
Steve Taylor - Hero
Tommy Keene - Places That Are Gone
Social Distortion - Making Believe
Soul Asylum - Cartoon
Ditch Witch - Fake a Smile
Pure - Tall Grass
Soul Asylum - Leave Without a Trace
Social Distortion - When She Begins
Tripping Daisy - One Through Four
Belly - Black Dress
Collective Soul - Run

I tried to put two songs on from a band wherever I felt there was a need to give a broader window into what they were about, but still kept an eye on showcasing as many different bands as I could. There should be something on here that most anyone will find enjoyable. Pure is actually a Canadian band, but I figure what the hell, the title is still technically correct.

So how 'bout it? So far I've got Funko, Laz, Scabrous, Mr. Bas, and BGH. Anyone else? I'll give you to the end of this week and then I'll start burning. Comments, suggestions, and violent objections to the above are, of course, still welcome.

Scabrous Birdseed
14-07-2003, 16:38:25
I'm gonna kill you with a PICKAXE!!!!

The Shaker
14-07-2003, 18:42:47
i'll nick funkos copy :)

Debaser
14-07-2003, 18:48:38
Not if I nick it first.

The Shaker
14-07-2003, 18:54:41
I'll puncture your tyres, bike-boy.

Guy
14-07-2003, 19:30:13
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
I'm gonna kill you with a PICKAXE!!!!

This is a statement, not an objection, though I suppose it could be construed as a comment, albeit certainly not a constructive one.

Can't you people follow instructions?

zmama
14-07-2003, 19:56:08
Okay..how about "Where's the frigging Todd Snyder, you son of a camel?!!!?"

Is that a good enough objection? :cute:

BigGameHunter
14-07-2003, 20:36:22
Ooh...sounds like a good one.
Still have my address?
Hey...Paula Cole is a local girl I think.

Guy
15-07-2003, 12:18:28
zmama,
In aiming this compilation at its intended audience, I decided I only had room for one Christian rocker, and Steve Taylor won out because he's funnier. Maybe Todd'll show up on a future compilation or LWP or something. Sorry. :)

BGH,
I think I do, and yes she is. Pure is from Vancouver, too, which isn't too far from you, either.

BigGameHunter
15-07-2003, 14:52:34
Ch-ch-christian rocker?

Guy
15-07-2003, 16:01:52
See what I mean?

Todd Snyder is very much a Christian performer, most of his songs are somewhat sermonized, though he is also a very talented singer/songwriter. Steve Taylor is also very Christian, but his songs tend to take an extremely sarcastic/snarky/devil's-advocate approach to sermonizing, which is, while musically less advanced than Mr. Snyder, much more entertaining in my opinion.

Guy
21-07-2003, 18:55:13
There's been some further tweaks to the lineup, but I've added some bonus material to make up for it. Liner notes should be written and disks burned by the end of this week.

I've PM'ed interested parties for their mailing addresses and will begin mailing as I complete them.

Guy
24-07-2003, 16:27:25
Disks are away, look for them in 7 to 10 days if all goes well and the postal service can read my handwriting.

BigGameHunter
24-07-2003, 20:04:16
You didn't enclose any prayer pamphlets, did you?

Funkodrom
25-07-2003, 11:19:54
:beer: Great.

Guy
25-07-2003, 12:39:54
No pamphlets, just liner notes with lots of lame attempts by me to be funny and, as a special bonus, this Guy original (mostly) cover art:

Funkodrom
28-07-2003, 21:41:02
Arrived this morning along with beautifully printed notes!

Thoughts tomorrow.

BigGameHunter
28-07-2003, 22:02:35
WTF? It made it to Reading before Oregon?

King_Ghidra@home
28-07-2003, 22:16:50
so much for the boston tea party

Funkodrom
29-07-2003, 08:25:40
4 days is really good going. (well it's 3 and a half actually)

Mr. Bas
29-07-2003, 08:35:17
It arrived here on yesterday as well. :beer:

I haven't had time to give it a proper listen yet (just a few songs, which I liked in general), and I doubt I'll have much time in the next few days... But I'll check out the rest of the cd this weekend at the latest.

Guy
29-07-2003, 12:57:32
:beer:

Scabrous Birdseed
29-07-2003, 16:32:52
Got it too. Er, I'm going to have some difficulty reviewing this one.

BigGameHunter
29-07-2003, 21:08:52
Well, if you start off by pulling the stick out of your ass, it might go a bit easier.
;)

Funkodrom
30-07-2003, 07:43:56
OK I didn't think that I could get the normal audio section to play on my PC here yesterday so I had a lot of fun listening to the bonus tracks but I worked it out today! Yeah.

Funkodrom
30-07-2003, 08:55:00
I really like it... and Scabby's going to hate it. :)

Guy
30-07-2003, 13:32:53
I will count it as a success, then. ;)

Funkodrom
30-07-2003, 13:41:06
:D

BigGameHunter
30-07-2003, 14:31:35
I think I've had it for a couple of days, but haven't checked the mail for a bit...I've still got Scabby's to review, then it is on to American Noise. I know I'll like it since all the bands I recognize are in my collection.

Scabrous Birdseed
30-07-2003, 16:06:36
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Well, if you start off by pulling the stick out of your ass, it might go a bit easier.
;)

No, that's the problem. If I leave it firmly lodged up in a prostrate-scaping way I can just go through every song and say "This sounds like Tracy Chapman, it's shit", "This sounds like Natalie Imbruglia, it's shit" etc. and do it without thought or remorse. OTOH if I try to judge the songs within their, er, unfortunate musical settings and be tactful and nice I'm going to have some major formulation problems.

So, Guy, is it okay if I just slag it all off?

Funkodrom
30-07-2003, 16:14:31
I did wonder why you wanted a copy. :)

Scabrous Birdseed
30-07-2003, 16:29:47
Because:

...I'd barely heard of any of the artists and those I had I had no idea what they sounded like.

...BigGameHunter sent me a CD of music from the same country and the same time period, most of which I liked.

...The songs Guy put on LWP3 weren't half bad.

Funkodrom
30-07-2003, 16:31:31
Ah... see I had heard of some of the artists and knew what they were like. Still worth a listen to see if there's something good in there.

BigGameHunter
30-07-2003, 17:06:35
From an historical perspective, SB, it may be advantageous to look at some of these acts as foundations for listening. Violent Femmes and Social Distortion are two acts in particular that have had a lot of influence on listening and subsequent bands' development.
You seem to have a serious aversion to semi-mainstream rock/punk/alt. But from an historic standpoint these bands are very noteworthy.

Guy
30-07-2003, 20:58:45
SB,

If you honestly don't like anything on it, don't review it. I will be not the least bit bothered by a negative review of it, but I don't see much point in your spending the time on it. Sorry I couldn't come up with anything that appealled to you. I'm surprised you didn't like the Belly track, though, I thought that at least would be something you wouldn't mind.

BigGameHunter
30-07-2003, 21:01:40
In ten years he'll come across that comp and wonder why he was acting the twit now.
:)

Scabrous Birdseed
31-07-2003, 09:11:54
I like several songs on it, actually. Can I just review them?

Scabrous Birdseed
31-07-2003, 09:17:54
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
In ten years he'll come across that comp and wonder why he was acting the twit now.
:)

I certainly hope I'll have a completely clean concience. I think it's ultimately much nicer towards Guy if I'm honest, although it is a hard decision to take. I was considering for several days just writing a relatively nice review glossing over my problems with the material, but the more I think about the less fair to Guy I think such a review would be. After all, what are random people you meet on the internet for?

Scabrous Birdseed
31-07-2003, 09:34:44
I really really dislike writing nasty reviews btw, unless the bands are thoroughly deserving, and none of these are. I feel thoroughly bad about mentally being nasty to them as I listen, 'cause I like Guy, he's a cool dude. I mean, he picked them all because he liked them, and I think it's unpleasant of me not to like them too, or at least like the majority of them. Nevertheless I don't, so what should I do? What would you do in my seat? What's your problem, BGH?

Debaser
31-07-2003, 11:15:35
You can say you don't like them without being rude about it, though ultimately that would lead to the dullest review ever:

Track 1: Hmm, this track isn't really to my taste, but I can see how others might apperciate it etc.

Track 2: Hmm, this track isn't really to my taste, but I can see how others ......

Just write what you want. I'm sure Guy doesn't really give a toss what you think, and if you're not honest what's the point of doing it?

Scabrous Birdseed
31-07-2003, 11:32:49
Right, After another listen I've decided its possible to highlight individual good aspects with... most of the songs, so I'll probably give the full review after all. Should I leave in or take out the four songs I find absolutely unbearable?

Guy
31-07-2003, 12:50:02
It depends on what you can find to say about them. If you have specific reasons why you don't like them, I'd be interested to hear that. If, on the other hand, it's mostly like Debaser said a matter of taste or preference, then I'd leave them out.

I've really got to get cracking on my reviews of your and BGH's disks, too. I've taken way too long for both of them.

BigGameHunter
31-07-2003, 20:43:16
Hey, the world is full of dissenting opinions...no need to get hysterical about it...just write your review and leave it at that...

Scabrous Birdseed
31-07-2003, 21:13:29
I can't now that you've made me feel bad. I'm neurotic about upsetting people you know even if I don't show it. :)

BigGameHunter
31-07-2003, 23:09:56
Well, I'd give you a big sloppy kiss if it were'nt for those blasted teeth of yours.