PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

Asher
11-07-2003, 01:40:00
Pentium M 1.5GHz (1MB L2 cache)
512MB DDR RAM
802.11a/b/g (antennas built into back of screen)
40GB 5400rpm HD
14.1" XGA TFT display
9-cell Li-Ion battery (7 hours real-world use)
Titanium composite casing w/ shock-absorber
Special harddrive shock-absorber
6 month unconditionally warranty (theft, accidental breakage, etc)
3 year "no-hassle" warranty
CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo unit (9.8mm tall)
1" width
4.6lbs

It'll be fun to try this baby out with all my downtime on campus next term, especially with the campus-wide free 802.11b network. :bounce:

Asher
11-07-2003, 01:43:37
best thread EVAR

Sir Penguin
11-07-2003, 06:02:29
My C SC teacher shook his laptop around to demonstrate something or other (something about the difference between desktop PCs and our MC68HC11 lab boards), saying that we would never do that to our desktops because the hard drive would get scratched and everything would mess up. The next week it took over 5 minutes to boot up, and wouldn't load Adobe Reader. :lol:

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
11-07-2003, 16:42:53
He shook all the bits off the hard drive? I bet if he opened the case there'd be a bunch of loose 1's and 0's in there.

Asher
11-07-2003, 19:15:39
2-3 weeks for building, validation, and delivery.

Asher
11-07-2003, 19:16:28
Also, change of plans.

The 802.11a/b/g combo device requires a tacky external antenna.

So instead I will use the integrated 802.11b and got 768MB DDR SDRAM instead.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
11-07-2003, 20:05:45
I recently purchased 802.11b networking products (a DSL router with wireless access point, print server, and wired 4-port hub, and a PCMCIA card for the laptop) for US$35 - it was TigerDirect open box, but you can't beat that price.

I'm hoping to build a file server to hook up to the thing eventually, which will make life even easier :)

Sir Penguin
11-07-2003, 21:16:30
Part of my last Englineering assignment was about 802.11a. I got 20/30 because I didn't have enough pictures. :rolleyes:

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
11-07-2003, 23:44:23
They're worth a thousand words, you know. 10,000 word essay -> 10 pictures. Easy!

Sir Penguin
12-07-2003, 00:37:22
I think my pictures were probably worth about 200 words each. I did them in MSPaint.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
12-07-2003, 16:21:17
If it's anything like the MSPaint job you did altering your post count for the Falling Thread in Counterpoint, 200 is high. In fact, any positive number would be :)

Sir Penguin
13-07-2003, 01:01:07
Well, the lines were straighter. :)

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
13-07-2003, 03:27:49
That's something, I guess.

Asher
13-07-2003, 20:54:57
Found a program that will use my TV-tuner in my PC to broadcast the signal over the 802.11b network in the house...

My laptop will become a wireless cable TV now, too. :D

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
14-07-2003, 18:35:34
How good's the quality of the picture?

MDA
14-07-2003, 18:37:09
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
My C SC teacher shook his laptop around to demonstrate something or other (something about the difference between desktop PCs and our MC68HC11 lab boards), saying that we would never do that to our desktops because the hard drive would get scratched and everything would mess up. The next week it took over 5 minutes to boot up, and wouldn't load Adobe Reader. :lol:

SP

:lol: this is complete gibberish to me! I'm leaving forever!

Asher
14-07-2003, 18:51:55
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
How good's the quality of the picture?
It encodes to WMV9 in realtime at any bitrate you request. I use 1.5Mbps, and I'm sure it's overkill for a TV signal. :D

Crystal clear! Even transmits stereo sound (WMA9).

Sean
14-07-2003, 19:15:59
I hate WMV. Why can’t you skip backwards and forwards in a partially downloaded file?

No longer Trippin
14-07-2003, 19:43:33
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
I recently purchased 802.11b networking products (a DSL router with wireless access point, print server, and wired 4-port hub, and a PCMCIA card for the laptop) for US$35 - it was TigerDirect open box, but you can't beat that price.

I'm hoping to build a file server to hook up to the thing eventually, which will make life even easier :)

Feel fortunate you've gotten something from them that works. They absolutely suck as a reseller, just check their ratings.

Asher
14-07-2003, 22:48:08
Originally posted by Sean
I hate WMV. Why can’t you skip backwards and forwards in a partially downloaded file?
That's not WMV, that's ASF/ASX.

And for whatever reason they can turn that on for copyrighted files.

WMVs act just like most other video files when encoded as such.

And the quality kicks everything else's ass, MPEG4, DivX, XViD, Sorenson, etc.

Sean
14-07-2003, 22:52:24
Huh. I thought WMV was just a wrapper for ASF. And the file’s free!

Asher
15-07-2003, 00:40:18
ASF and ASX are WMV wrappers (streaming version, with additional configs like preveting ffd/rwd and skipping, etc), much like MOV is a QuickTime wrapper.

If the file's free, whoever encoded it is a fucking moron. :D

No longer Trippin
15-07-2003, 08:14:12
SP: your teacher is an idiot. Notebook HDD's are generally much more fragile than high quality IDE drives (WD's JB series for example), they just aren't cushioned or suspended in some way to dampen shock. I've litterally dropped a seagate barracuda SCSI drive, worked quite fine after that - didn't even have any damaged sectors. Due to the small size of the HDD in a bloody notebook, especially as thin as they are making them today, it's tolerances aren't able to be as high (As to withstand shaking, not platter wise - the technology is fairly equal, just they can't fit enough platters to get large drives). I've heard of oil suspend drives as to provide cushioning from movement along with a few other methods (including none at all), but they aren't designed to go through what he did, an occasional drop, yeah, but violent shaking back and forth, no way in hell. What a damned idiot. I have some lakefront property in Siberia I think he might be interested in. The temps are warm, a nice breeze, and a private beach. Think he would be interested?

Sir Penguin
15-07-2003, 08:23:42
Probably not, he'd already ordered his new one. It was an ancient 486 POS.

Speaking of hard drives, do you know if it's normal for a desktop hard drive to have loose parts? My old hard drive had something inside it that would clunk around a little bit when I rotated it. It worked fine, so long as you didn't make any logical partitions.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
15-07-2003, 19:57:13
Own goal.

Sir Penguin
15-07-2003, 20:15:51
NAHN.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
15-07-2003, 20:33:27
I'm truly gobsmacked.

No longer Trippin
15-07-2003, 20:42:19
Own Goal (just for safety). Drives use several platters, one of the arms from the platters could be bad, that would be my most logical guess. Still, that should take down the entire drive. Do you have SMART on your mobo, if so, enable it if your drive supports it. A SMART failure is a reason for an RMA if you still have the warranty and the box (else you'l pay them 30 to ship you an empty box, I shit you not).

In truth the drive should have failed by now. Run chkdsk or diskdoctor and see how many bad clusters you pull up. If you pull up a lot, it's the platter that got screwed by the drive arm I'm guessing.

Sean
16-07-2003, 20:37:01
Originally posted by Asher
If the file's free, whoever encoded it is a fucking moron. :D
Nice try, but:
I got the full file today. No problems. Only happens when it’s not complete.
I got another file, from a completely different place. Same thing: partially downloaded, no skipping. Fully downloaded, skip as much as you like.
And a third file, that a friend of mine got, did the same thing.

Sir Penguin
16-07-2003, 20:55:32
Originally posted by No longer Trippin
Own Goal (just for safety). Drives use several platters, one of the arms from the platters could be bad, that would be my most logical guess. Still, that should take down the entire drive. Do you have SMART on your mobo, if so, enable it if your drive supports it. A SMART failure is a reason for an RMA if you still have the warranty and the box (else you'l pay them 30 to ship you an empty box, I shit you not).

In truth the drive should have failed by now. Run chkdsk or diskdoctor and see how many bad clusters you pull up. If you pull up a lot, it's the platter that got screwed by the drive arm I'm guessing.

I ran scandisk and it didn't have any bad sectors. I ran the WD disk checker, and it reported no errors. They wouldn't give me an RMA without that program giving me an error. It's a stable enough hard drive, so long as I don't create any logical paritions. Twice it's crashed horribly (http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~nrqm/pictures.html) and deleted all the logical partitions. It doesn't matter any more, I'm going to sell it along with my old computer. :)

SP

Sean
16-07-2003, 22:34:10
I love that picture of the 1.6TB partition. Something we should all aspire too, as far as I’m concerned.

Asher
17-07-2003, 02:58:34
Originally posted by Sean
Nice try, but:
I got the full file today. No problems. Only happens when it’s not complete.
I got another file, from a completely different place. Same thing: partially downloaded, no skipping. Fully downloaded, skip as much as you like.
And a third file, that a friend of mine got, did the same thing.
That's odd, I can skip around all I want in the IGN WMV9 vids before they're done downloading (although, for obvious reasons, you can't skip to something it hasn't downloaded yet)...I can certainly hit stop and try again, or jump back to a part I've already seen.

:confused:

Asher
17-07-2003, 02:59:11
Maybe earlier versions of Windows Media behaved like DivX does, with the file index at the very end of the file?

No longer Trippin
17-07-2003, 04:02:27
When I don't get an RMA on an HDD I have a special magnet which complete wipes HDD's to the point that you can't even format the thing. Can't overcome physics. The drive will still register though.

You can also drop it on a carpetted floor a few dozen times and then shake it around to let all the loose parts hit whatever they come in contact with. The drive should be RMA'd... if you can't partition it then something is wrong.

You aren't running a dual OS setup? If you have XP with linux on a system, XP will still be a bastard, even on another disk - so that could be it. It doesn't like dual boot setups, even with another MS OS. Though the rattling shouldn't be happening, so something is screwed up though it could just be the spindle being slightly loose (since once it spins it stabilizes that would mean you'd only know of the problem if the drive was off). Just sell it, the newer WD's coming out have performance nearly as good as a 32 bit (Ultra 160) SCSI drive at 15,000 rpms. Though if you have two SCSI's raided, or a SMP setup the SCSI RAID will crush it or the single drive running at 320 will have a huge lead. IDE RAID is only useful for extra data protection... 5 to 10% increase in speed isn't worth the cost of another disk.

WD and Maxtor's both are performing the same pretty much with WD with a slight lead. Since ATA 133 is known as a marketting gimmick and WD is getting better speeds with ATA 100 I would have thought maxtor would have cut a little off the cost by using a slightly cheaper controller that is only ATA 100. Get the 8meg cache, 7200 rpm of either company.

You can check the drives performance when matched against others at www.storagereview.com Not all drives are on the list. The bigger the drive, the faster it can pull data, and with the cost of 80 gig WD JB's, they are great drives. Surprisingly fast for IDE. I have a 120 WD JB as my boot drive with 4 scsi drives. I dump my whole OS into memory anyhow and have the pagefile disabled - but even before I did, there was little slowdowns from the IDE drive compared to drives from just a couple years ago. The JB series (8 meg cache) also is the only drives that aren't SCSI or SATA to come with a 3 year warraty, Maxtor is the same on the warranty. 2megs, 1 year, 8 megs, 3 years.

Sir Penguin
17-07-2003, 05:17:39
I was running two OSes at the time (three at one point). It crashed with Win98/Debian Potato, and with WinXP/Debian Woody. I'm not too concerned, though. I'll let the person who buys it know about the problem, but in all honesty I haven't had it die for a long time. I have it on a cable with my CD-RW right now and it works fine (primary partitions only).

SP

Sean
17-07-2003, 12:00:07
Originally posted by Asher
Maybe earlier versions of Windows Media behaved like DivX does, with the file index at the very end of the file?
Right, now I’m very confused. Is there an easy way to see which version it’s using? And do you have to pay to get IGN downloads?

No longer Trippin
17-07-2003, 14:11:12
It's best to keep optical drives of the IDE controller with HDD's on it as HDD's run faster ATA 100/133 while most cd/dvd's run ATA 33/66. With newer boards and cable which supports cable select it is supposed to treat each device as an individual (thus little loss in speed if any), but it doesn't always work for whatever reason (even if manually jumpered to CS) and transmits at the lowest speed. So your going from ATA 100 to ATA 33 most likely.

Oh, on Western Digital drives, make damned sure if you get another one it is jumpered correctly. If it's on a channel by itself you can rip the jumper out, if not, you have to jumper it to at least CS, if not they die very easy. Given that Maxtor and WD have about the same failure rates and WD is still faster (as ATA 133 gives 0 performance boost oer 100) and quite a few extra WD's die due to improper jumpering, I'd go with another WD.

What's your planned setup then SP?

Sir Penguin
17-07-2003, 18:37:14
I actually got two Maxtors, since they were on sale (which is the reason I've got the old WD on the second IDE channel).

SP