PDA

View Full Version : Oh, It's all the Same: 21 Tracks of Swedish not... quite... indie

Scabrous Birdseed
04-07-2003, 15:09:28
Yay! It's done. Except the liner notes but then I've got until monday.

http://www.counterglow.com/upload/scabrous%20birdseed/Ohitsall.jpg

Track listing:

1. The Hellacopters - Better Than You
2. Silverbullit - Money
3. A Camp - I Can Buy You
4. Soundtrack of Our Lives - Instant Repeater '99
5. Moneybrother - The Pressure
6. Di Leva - Naked Number One
7. M. Hederos & M. Hellberg - No fun
8. Imperiet - Märk Hur Vår Skugga
9. José Gonzáles - Deadweight on velveteen
10. The Plan - Mon Amour
11. Sahara Hotnights - Drive dead slow
12. Mando Diao - Motown Blood
13. Ebba Grön - Ung & kåt
14. Broder Daniel - Work
15. The Cardigans - Communication
16. Union Carbide Productions - Three Mile Eyes
17. Bad Cash Quartet - Heartattack
18. The Concretes - Lovin' kind
19. Robert Johnson and Punchdrunks - Surf as Houdini
20. Kent - 747
21. The Nomads - The Good Stuff

If anyone except BGH, Shakey, Laz and Guy wants a copy, please tell me and I'll put you on the list.

Funkodrom
04-07-2003, 15:16:30
I'll copy Shakeys. Cheers.

*End Is Forever*
04-07-2003, 15:17:19
Mmm... Johanna Asplund...

Debaser
04-07-2003, 17:21:39
Wow, I didn't know Sahara Hotnights were Swedish. They have the coolest rock T-shirts I've ever seen.

*End Is Forever*
04-07-2003, 17:38:26
Mmm... Johanna Asplund... :D

Immortal Wombat
04-07-2003, 18:56:48
Wow, I didn't know A Camp were Swedish. I've actually heard that song. Dunno about the T-shirts though.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-07-2003, 19:53:05
Oh God. The Cardigans.

Scabrous Birdseed
04-07-2003, 19:57:50
They've had a major change of musical direction since you last heard them. I think you might actually like this track, it's kind of Nina-Simone-as-mixed-with-Emmylou-Harrisy.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-07-2003, 20:05:24
Oh God.

Scabrous Birdseed
04-07-2003, 20:14:23
On the other hand, you'll probably hate it.

Scabrous Birdseed
04-07-2003, 21:01:20
The liner notes are going well. I've written 900 words and I've only mentioned one track so far!

Debaser
05-07-2003, 19:38:21
You don't think that might be a little excessive and self indulgent?

*End Is Forever*
05-07-2003, 19:43:05
You could just include pictures of Sahara Hotnights instead.

Scabrous Birdseed
05-07-2003, 20:05:39
Originally posted by Debaser
You don't think that might be a little excessive and self indulgent?

D'uh. It was a "look how crap I am" joke.

Since then I've written like 600 words and covered 6 tracks in the process, the skewed beginning was because of a long introduction/history section.

Provost Harrison
05-07-2003, 23:01:52
You can always spot the art student...can write reams about absolutely fuck all...

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-07-2003, 08:58:04
Yes, but they get the chicks.

*End Is Forever*
06-07-2003, 17:15:13
:lol:

BigGameHunter
06-07-2003, 21:51:31
They did?!? Is it too late to change my major?

Scabrous Birdseed
07-07-2003, 20:30:32
Right, I've sent off the CD to BGH, almost finished Shakey's as well but had to rush off to see Les Quatre-Cents Coups at the cinema before I had time to print the liner notes. That's going off tomorrow. Laz's and Guy's will be sent off when I get their addresses.

Scabrous Birdseed
08-07-2003, 09:53:20
Minor technical hitch: Out of paper. Can't print liner notes or tray inserts.

Might still get them off tonight, more likely tomorrow morning.

Scabrous Birdseed
08-07-2003, 16:55:02
Dreaded third post in a row!

They're off. Except Guy's.

BigGameHunter
08-07-2003, 17:33:55
Woo hoo....it's going to be like Christmas in my mailbox soon!

Scabrous Birdseed
09-07-2003, 13:43:19
Now Guy's is off too.

Thank god I'm done! Now I can return to more important things e.g. finally reviewing Debaser's 70s soul CD.

Debaser
09-07-2003, 13:51:54
Kewl.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-07-2003, 16:24:09
Now you were just trying to pick a fight with those comments about Nick Drake, weren't you?

"Bipolar little bastard"? Well he wasn't bipolar, he was very tall and it's very hard to find anyone who has anything bad to say about him, but whatever floats your boat...

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 16:30:59
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Now you were just trying to pick a fight with those comments about Nick Drake, weren't you?

Yes. :)

But come on, anyone who titles an album "five leaves left" five years before they commit suicide can't possibly be worthy of respect. Romantic-depressive drivel.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-07-2003, 17:02:47
It's a dope reference- packets of Rizlas used to come with a warning slip when only five leaves were left.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 17:07:10
Yes, yes, yes. Still.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-07-2003, 17:13:38
...and the fact that most people believe his death was accidental. Suicides rarely take only six tablets then neatly leave the rest in the bottle, relying on an unusually low tolerance to the medication to cause their hearts to stop.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 17:25:52
"Most People"? Most Nick Drake fans maybe. Might have been one of those tedious depression "cries out for help", possibly, but how do you accidentally take six tablets of anything?

(OOC: Now that we've threadjacked this thread into a baseless admiration/derision fight over a long-dead british folkrocker, where are people going to post reviews/comments? Aaargh!)

Sean
10-07-2003, 17:35:42
Come on, Scabrous, the reason it’s mostly Nick Drake fans that think that is that no-one else really cares.

Debaser@work
10-07-2003, 17:36:15
Nick who?

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 17:42:41
Drake, the "best" british Folk-rocker of all time (not hard) and permanent entry on that NME Writers Top 30 Heartbreak Albums (http://www.rocklist.net/nme_writers.htm#Heartbreak) list that Laz likes everything off except #20 and I dislike everything I've heard off except #20, 21 and to a certain extent #3.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 17:43:46
Oh and #13 and #14 aren't bad, but hardly rank among the best albums of either artist.

Debaser@work
10-07-2003, 17:57:45
I know who he is really. I have Pink Moon and some other album. Massively overated twee folksy bollocks if you ask me. If he hadn't died there is no way he'd be rated so highly by NME.

Debaser@work
10-07-2003, 18:00:52
That list looks pretty good though. I own no's: 3,4,5,8,9,11,12,13,15, 17,18,19,21,24,25,26,27,28,29,30

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 18:44:49
Maybe we can switch the topic again and talk about NME lists.

Perfect illustration of the way NME evolved from good to brilliant to utterly uttely dire is given by The Writers' Top Singles Lists (http://www.rocklist.net/nme_singles.htm) of '76, '87 and '02. The 76 choices are good but predictable for the time, The 87 choices are quite often surprising and excellent throughout, The 02 choices contain some of the worst crud ever mixed up with the utterly mainstream, and simply radiate historylessness.

King_Ghidra
10-07-2003, 18:51:31
that 02 list is awful

yellow - coldplay? fucking stan by eminem???? try again by Aaaliyah???????!?!?!?!?!

is this a joke?!?!?!

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 19:04:15
Okay, I would have put Try Again on there. :o

King_Ghidra
10-07-2003, 19:09:41
as one of the greatest singles of all time?!?!?!

sorry ms jackson?!?!, hot in here? I love those records, but no fucking way (well maybe hot in here, maybe)

looks to me like someone told em their list was too white and they should throw some current hip hop in there for the kids

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-07-2003, 19:13:02
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Drake, the "best" british Folk-rocker of all time (not hard) and permanent entry on that NME Writers Top 30 Heartbreak Albums (http://www.rocklist.net/nme_writers.htm#Heartbreak) list that Laz likes everything off except #20 and I dislike everything I've heard off except #20, 21 and to a certain extent #3.

The corrections continue- Nick Drake was not a folk-rocker, and I like that Smokey Robinson album. It's the Gram Parsons one I can't stand.

There are only four songs out of Drake's entire recorded output that I consider depressing, and even the most churlish listener would have to admit that he was an extraordinarily good guitarist.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 19:14:18
I really like Try Again, best Aaliyah single IMO, plus it's got great historical importance.

But yeah I agree about the "too white" thing. The vast majority of black choices are only a few years old (and therefore suspect, greatness needs some time to build up) or the kind of stuff you'd hear during your local cheese night.

Debaser@work
10-07-2003, 19:15:22
Exactly, NME trying to be all things to all people rather than talking about what they actually know.

Did you read their review of Glastonbury? Anyone would think that they just spent the whole time getting pissed backstage rather than concerning themselves with boring stuff like ACTUALLY LISTENING TO BANDS.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 19:17:00
Oh it's the Gram Parsons one? How can you not like the Gram Parsons one? It's brilliant!

Debaser@work
10-07-2003, 19:17:55
The vast majority of black choices are only a few years old (and therefore suspect, greatness needs some time to build up) or the kind of stuff you'd hear during your local cheese night.

Their bast albums poll always has Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder somewhere in the top ten. What's the betting that this year Barry White will be up there somewhere?

Debaser@work
10-07-2003, 19:18:47
Oh it's the Gram Parsons one? How can you not like the Gram Parsons one? It's brilliant!

What are you talking about?

Edit: Oops, sorry Laz, didn't see you there.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-07-2003, 19:29:28

We had the accusation earlier that Drake only gets rated because he died. I'd level that accusation at Gram. It's just semi-Nashville easy listening.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 20:16:05
Originally posted by Debaser@work
Exactly, NME trying to be all things to all people rather than talking about what they actually know.

Since what they know seems to consist mostly of Yellow by Coldplay, I'm not sure that's a very good idea. :)

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 20:17:37
Oooh, talking about Semi-Nashville Easy Listening, any first impressions of the CD? I seem to recall cramming it full of precisely that kind of dealie.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-07-2003, 20:44:36
I really liked the "Nick Drake" one, though it sounds nothing like him. It's far more Bert Jansch.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-07-2003, 20:52:32
I said it sounded nothing like him!

BigGameHunter
10-07-2003, 21:22:46
I was having a hard time telling Nick Drake and Cat Stevens apart, myself.
Just bought...uh...fuuuuck...can't remember the name..."Brighter Later" something or other? It's ok. Yes, he's a very good guitar player...yes, his lyrics are better than average...but...uh...don't see the "genius" yet...maybe I should buy those $100 apiece "non-studio" LP's I saw?

Debaser
10-07-2003, 21:34:41
But don't you feel like screaming "CHEER UP MAN!" and playing him some Jackson 5 or Earth Wind & Fire or something?

BigGameHunter
10-07-2003, 21:57:04
No, I feel like saying "Matthew and Son was a crap album, but Tea for the Tillerman sure was good!"
;)

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-07-2003, 16:52:22
"Bryter Layter" is his worst album. "Five Leaves Left" and "Pink Moon" are the ones, though they're very different to each other.

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-07-2003, 20:14:44
Just having another listen. Funny how the cultural differences emerge, isn't it? Right now, British/US indie is attempting to recreate 1980, while it seems Swedish indie is trying to recreate 1985.

It's a pity there aren't more tracks in Swedish. I think Swedish is a trememdously attractive language- it's just as earthy and direct as English but with more voluptuously rounded vowels and a hint of romantic trills.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-07-2003, 20:23:19
There is a large part of Swedish indie hung up on post-punk and synth-pop as well. I've just chosen to ignore it. :)

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-07-2003, 13:29:26
1- The Hellacopters I already knew, and this is a good track with a big'n'chunky 70's feel to it. It's a big'n'kicking biker boogie monster, and has put me in a good mood each time I've heard it. Makes me want to put on a bandana and start headbanging, in fact.

2- For some reason, some of the chord changes in this one keep reminding me of "Hotel California". I find it very strange that our Scabby would rate this highly given that it really isn't miles away from Radiohead (at those increasingly rare times when their heads peep out of their arses) or Doves. Personally speaking, I think this is another good track- the choired vocals work well against that heavily-treated guitar sound.

3- Oh dear. The song itself isn't that bad, although it's fairly unadventurous country-pop. However I'[ve really got a problem with Nina Persson's plastic and desperately soulless voice. She steers clear of her usual habit of attempting to pass of affected tunelessness as "emotion", and this is actually the least offensive track I've ever heard by her, but I can't help thinking how this song would have been so much better if Tanya Donnelly or Cat Power was performing it.

4- It's a happy coincidence that "Soundtracks of our lives" forms the acronym "stool", because this is shit. Hit the notes, you bastard! Blustery, chest-beating rubbish, with a lyric that wades bollocks-deep through most of the cliches of modern music from the last 40 years. The backing harmonies are quite nice.

5- Dangerously close to "novelty record" status, but I like the throwaway poppy-soul style of this track. Smokey Robinson should cover this one. I hated it at first hearing, but it's growing on me.

6- When I read that this bloke was a "New Age loon" I was all geared up for a Scandinavian Julian Cope, which would have rocked. A Gnostic Viking throwback, with daisychains around his axe, blasting out krautrock-influenced acid-rock freakouts about the sagas. Instead it's completely fucking awful. Like the sort of crap that gets played on "Eurotrash" in an attempt to reassure the witless that Europeans are all terminally rubbish.

7- Well there you have it. It is possible to take raw and sexy garage punk and turn it into mawkish MOR drivel. I'm glad we've now established that fact, and hope that no-one ever considers it necessary to repeat the experiment.

8- What a relief. The collection was hitting a real slump, but this one rescues it. A great, brooding leviathan of a song, like a tundra-based Jacques Brel. I have absolutely no idea what the lyric is about, but it's got angst fountaining out of every artery. Very sexy Swedish voice, and I love that word "skugga". I hope it means something filthy, like "sweaty front-bottom" or something.

9- Brilliant. I'd buy this. Rippling and understated guitar, and a moody folkish song very reminiscent of Richard Thompson or Bert Jansch.

10- Great music. Bad vocal. The song is engagingly bonkers, but gets let down by that cheesy OTT crooning and wilfully sloppy la-la-la-ing. Hey! He's, like, too ironic to make much effort, isn't he? Needs a slap, or several.

11- Second track to leave me humming extracts from "Hotel California" at times. Christ knows why. The female vocals are a welcome change at this point, though the song is a bit lightweight- the backing just isn't committed enough to fit the impassioned vocal lines. If it had been beefed up more in production this would have been a lot more interesting.

12- Rock'n'roll. Good, committed delivery but they let themselves down with that sloppy and half-arsed attempted freakout two-thirds of the way through. You've either got to be totally straight and focussed, or throw yourself into headlong lunacy in music like this. Still a good track though.

13- Gutless production. Instantly forgettable song. A waste of time.

14- One of the strongest tracks on the collection.There are no cop-outs or self-sabotage on this one- these boys are going for it and that adds to the charm. I'm a sucker for a spot of dynamic contrast, and the mean and driving guitars work well when juxtaposed agaist those poppy "ba-ba-ba-ba" BV's. Strongly reminiscent of any number of good late-80's indie bands.

15- Nope. Still don't like her voice at all. I've got "visualisations" going on my Windows Media Player, and this track always makes them go a sickly grey.

16- Sounds like the first attempt at Metal by a bunch of 5th-formers. It's really rather nasty. I bet they scowled menacingly in their press photos. With their arms folded.

17- Classic indie jangle! This could be straight off the infamous "C86" compilation that forever stereotyped the pastey white-boy indie fan that Scabby professes to despise. How do they suddenly become palatable because they're "now" and Swedish? I like this track, but then I like indie unashamedly. Explain yourself, man. You have much explaining to do.

18- Mmmmm. Normally I'm quite partial to stuff like this, but this goes to far over the top into sentimentality. The Walkabouts do this sort of thing far better because they always retain a hard and flinty edge, but this is like drowning in undiluted orange squash. It also goes on far too long, and I wish she'd drop the affected tunelessness (a real pet hate of mine).

19- It's 1986 again! It's The Meteors and I'm at the Bristol Bridge Inn, bladdered on Snakebite. This sounds eerily like the music I lost my virginity to. My, how the memories are flooding back. Fabulous.

20- I was trying to think of who the hell this track reminded me of. Then Jen asked "Is this U2?", and I realised she had one hell of a point. I can see why this is popular in Sweden, seeing how this sort of gubbins sells like southern-fried twats in breadcrumbs all over the rest of the world as well. It's that would-be epic, widescreen rock, aimed to be the closing track on the soundtrack to your love-life. This, of course, means that it doesn't do a great deal for me at all.

21- Rubbish pub-rock.

Scabrous Birdseed
12-07-2003, 13:58:25
I think it's possible that we've just got two different deifinitions of indie. Indie for me has to be twee. Or ironic. Or both. And it has to draw its inspiration from 92, not 86. :)

Scabrous Birdseed
12-07-2003, 14:06:54
BTW, I'm curious as to why you got the compilation on thursday while Shakey still hasn't recieved his, considering I put the same postage on both and dropped them in the mailbox at exactly the same time.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-07-2003, 15:09:41
Well I'm faintly surprised that I received mine at all. I've never seen such a sloppily-prepared envelope. Was there any particular reason for attempting to cram the address and stamps all in the bottom right corner, while the "air mail" sticker is on a diagonal slope somewhere off to the left, and only half-attached?

Scabrous Birdseed
12-07-2003, 15:40:27
Air-mail sticker?

BigGameHunter
12-07-2003, 16:30:54
Ha ha...Laz, the "Postal Pedant".
Who knew?

BigGameHunter
12-07-2003, 16:35:23
Laz's envelope was quite nice, BTW. Very shopkeeper proper with little customs note affixed and everything...
I didn't notice a song list, so I guess I'll print it from here...also, you seem to have an aversion to putting a return address on the envelope, which makes it difficult for me to impulsively stay up all night making a CD to send back.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-07-2003, 17:01:28
Check your PM's.

BigGameHunter
12-07-2003, 17:07:25
Theme?

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-07-2003, 17:17:51
From Shaft?

BigGameHunter
12-07-2003, 17:26:58
Hmmm....no...just trying to think of what I may have that you don't and would still like...I've bought heavily in the Johnny Cash country field, the Reggae field, the mournful solo artist field (Leonard Cohen, etc.), the "fuck you/politico punk" field (Fugazi, etc) and the "roughly eclectic folk alt country field" and am wondering what, if any of this would appeal...damn, I need to be able to transfer LP's to CD...how is this done? (Barring an expensive piece of equipment...how do I manually jury-rig such a setup? Turntable to PC, turntable to stereo to PC...what?)

zmama
12-07-2003, 17:39:47
Turntable to amplifier to pc....plus you'll need some software for cleaning it up.
From amp to pc you'll need an RCA to mini jack cable...can get it at radio Shack...about $5 or so. Good software can be expensive tho.

Okay my cable was labeled "6ft shielded Y-adapter Audio cable, two phono plugs to one 1/8 stereo phone plug"

zmama
12-07-2003, 17:40:45
And it's a ton of work...or so a little (well not so little) German told me! :D

BigGameHunter
12-07-2003, 18:09:52
Thanks! Now all I have to do is by a receiver, turntable, adapter plug and software!

There's not a standard Windows utility that can co-ordinate the recording?
I thought there was an external sound recording function in Widows?

zmama
12-07-2003, 18:51:50
Oh you can record in Windows but you can't clean it up and vinyl needs cleaning up.

Since you don't already have a stereo amplifier you could try this
http://pages.prodigy.net/jdjd/vinyl/2phono.htm

Vinnie sent me his old Steinburg Clean (Pinnacle Clean is comparable) comes with the software included. I haven't used it yet since I just got it this week, but if he says it works- thats good enough for me! :smoke:

BigGameHunter
12-07-2003, 19:53:49
Hmmm...looks like it is going to be doable for a couple hundred dollars...I may just try to find a good used receiver at Goodwill or something.
Next project will be to figure out how to make my Bose microphone record acoustic guitar/vocals onto the PC.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-07-2003, 20:36:07
Do the songs that really mean something to you. It won't matter if I already have a few- you'll put them in a new context.

Scabrous Birdseed
13-07-2003, 09:07:26
Comments on comments:

#2: There are three things that sets this album apart from The Doves, etc.: (a) It's never chirpy, no songs sound like early drafts to the Gummy Bears theme tune like every Doves track apparently does. (b) It's never whiny- none of the songs convey angsty self-hate ā la "Creep" etc. And most importantly: (c) It's not relentless. The quiet songs are intermixed with dance tracks, several quite decadent glammy tracks, at least one pure atmospheric thingie, and a couple of tracks involving bloody heavy guitars. All, of course, with the same production touch. Like I've said since you first asked me, this is one album I think you need to buy.

#4: Okay, you're probably more likely to appreciate their later stuff. Um.

#8: "Shadow". Sorry.

#16: Would have been a very ill-chosen track if I had done it just for you. The next track on the album IIRC is "Pour Un Flirt Avec Toi", a track consisting entirely of rhythmic chewing noises and an intentionally badly tuned saxophone. Or it could be "Down On The Beach", the eleven-minute avant-garde freakout with the weird seagull samples. I've never seen them scowling... They usually wear hawaiian shirts.

#20: You're much, much closer to The Truth than the vast majority of swedes realised back then. Today Kent are an entirely Stadium-oriented band and their latest album is heavily influenced by the least fashionable porions of 1980s music, but yeah, you can easily trace the evolution of their music in hindsight. Well done for spotting it in advance! (They're still brilliant though!)

The Shaker
14-07-2003, 10:29:47
BTW, I'm curious as to why you got the compilation on thursday while Shakey still hasn't recieved his, considering I put the same postage on both and dropped them in the mailbox at exactly the same time.

Recieved last thursday... just havn't had time to do more than stick it on the side

BigGameHunter
15-07-2003, 14:56:32
Got it yesterday. Very impressed with your effort on the liner notes. Started to read them whilst taking a dump, which, actually, is high praise. I save all my important reading for the bathroom.
Should be able to give it a listen in the next day or so.

Guy
15-07-2003, 16:15:00
Recieved mine yesterday as well, was almost stunned unconscious by the liner notes. Will listen soon and do my best to review (along with BGH's) next week.

Scabrous Birdseed
15-07-2003, 19:34:34
Phew, BGH got it. I was really worried, I'd forgotten to put the name of the country on his envelope. Guess the people at the post office have more than an american level of geography knowledge eh?

BigGameHunter
15-07-2003, 20:26:59
Yeah...we have a lot of blond Euros in Oregon...must have recognized the state or something.

BigGameHunter
17-07-2003, 17:44:04
OK...gave it the first "background listen" while playing some Combat Mission. Nothing lept out as being cacaphonous or irritating--sounded like a lot of good pop rock, really. I'll give it a review by the end of the weekend, along with Laz's I believe.

Scabrous Birdseed
27-09-2003, 09:55:46
:hmm:

Stefu X
30-12-2003, 21:52:54
Okay, I got mine. I visited my old apartment in Nokia for the last time, to move the stuff away, and there it was. Listened to it some on the train home. May make some deeper commenture later, however, some observations.

I agree with many (not all, mind, not all) of Lazlo's observations, especially about 2 being rather like Radiohead (One of my first thoughts about this track was "Hold on, Scabby likes THIS?"). However, I liked the track 6 quite a lot. I may end up hating it, of course - I had downloaded some of these tracks previously and ended up deleting this one after some listening but now took a liking. It reminded me of They Might Be Giants, for some reason - that reason probably is related to Lazlo's reason for not liking it.

7 is exactly the kind of a track that was such a bad idea from early on that it just couldn't work. Frankly, a track can't rely on OMG TEH IRONY factor, and this one just gave that feeling - "Oh, wouldn't it be splendid to take a punk song and make a jazz version off it?" "Indeed, good chap, that's quite a splendid idea!"

I liked 13, too. It reminded me very strongly of Finnish punk of the era - there's something very much like of Finnish punk anthems, such as "Poliisi Pamputtaa Taas" by Eppu Normaali and "Rappiolla" by Hassisen Kone*, there - but it also is, in it's own way, quite Swedish, and not only because it's sung in Swedish. This was another track that Lazlo didn't seem to appreciate - maybe it's just a Nordic thing.

*: Both of these would be strong candidates for a Finnrock CD, if I ever manage to do something for it. That's not an immediate prospect, though.

Stefu X
30-12-2003, 22:03:13
Oh, and reading the liner notes, one comparison immediately struck me (although it probably doesn't make sense to anyone:

Joakim Thåström as Sweden's Ismo Alanko, Ebba Grön as Sweden's Hassisen Kone, Imperiet as Sweden's Sielun Veljet. Although that's probably not waterproof and might be completely crap.

Are you still making another Swederock CD? I *definitely* want a copy of it, esp. if it has more Swedish-language stuff.

Scabrous Birdseed
30-12-2003, 22:16:35
I think I'll have to eventually. Anyone else interested? Won't be done for another couple of months though...

Stefu X
08-01-2004, 22:29:32
Okay, had a train trip today and lots of time to listen to the CD on the train. Track by track review follows. WITH STAR SCALES! From one to five!

1. Very nice opener. I've also heard some Hellacopters before, and generally have liked what I've heard. This is, well, just goodness. What more does one need? (*****)

2. Well. This one didn't strike me quite as well. It just didn't seem to be going anywhere. Still, one could listen through it without wanting to skip it, which entitles it to two stars. (**)

3. Mm. Didn't like this one at the first listen, but repeated listens made me grow more accepting. Not too shabby but nothing groundbreaking, either - unlike with Lazlo, my main problem wasn't with the voice but the lyrics. They just didn't quite click. Still, (***)

4. OMG LET'S MAKE AN ANTHEM! Put in predictable lyrics and melodies, add voice reverbation (is that the correct term for what I'm thinking for here?), handclaps and some strings, and in no time you'll have a song ready for thousand hockey fans to holler "INSTANT RIPIITÖ NAINTI-NAIN!" Didn't quite succeed, though. Could have been oh so much better, but still, could have been somewhat worse. Goes on for too long, too. (**)

5. Mm. Ambivalence (on my part, that is). It would definitely be better if the singer hadn't kept the ridiculous falsetto voice on for the most of the song. Still, parts of it were great, and I kept excepting the singer to add "Come on pilgrim, you know he loves you!" somewhere, which would have been great. (***)

6. The proof that Lazlo is a grumpy old sod who can't appreciate whimsy in music. Great, great track, made all the better by the weird noises at the beginning, all the "yeah! c'mon!"s and the hippie lyrics. This just makes me want to sing and dance goofily. I hear the heartbeats in the ocean of love! We are together, yeah, the fairytale is flying! Come shine the... um. (*****)

7. What I said in the first post applies. Please, Mr. Scabby, don't do this kind of thing again. (*)

8. Didn't much like this one, either, honestly. It just needs something more. (**)

9. What Laz said, pretty much. (Except for 'buying it' part - I might consider it once I've heard more - and for Richard Thompson and Bert Jansch parts - I don't even know who they are.) (****)

10. Again, what Laz said. La-la-laing didn't bother me that much, but really, slapping could do a world of good. Still, (****)

11. My reaction was pretty much the same as to the last song - the song was great, but the vocals could have been improved. (****)

12. ...nah. This is why I'm still a bit leerful of the whole garage rock thing - it just sounds so... I don't know, calculated. And that freakout was lame. (**)

13. Again, the first post applies here. It's like Finnish punk of the era, yet so... Swedish. Made me think of those Bert books by Andreas Jacobson and Sören Olsson I shamelessly consumed when I was younger, for some reason - probably the youngness and the horniness. Oh, that Bert.

14. Again, good music, and this time the vocal's okay, too, but Jesus, those lyrics. At least make an attempt, for God's sake. (***)

15. Hmm. It's passable, but kind of forgettable, really. Hell, I don't remember much anything about it anymore. (**)

16. Yep. It's crap. (*)

17. Oh, this was good. One of the strongest tracks in the album, in fact. I'm obviously not as knowledgeable of UK indie in 1986 as Laz so I can't make any comparisons, but I liked it well enough. (*****)

18. Yawn. (*)

19. Surf-rock. Nice snack in a collection album like this, but I don't think I'd buy a whole album of this. Nevertheless, (****)

20. Again, Laz said it better than I could. (**)

21. Ahh, not that bad, if not that good, either. Kind of silly, really, but listenable. (***)

Where's BigGameHunter's review?

Scabrous Birdseed
08-01-2004, 22:41:09
And Guy's? Although in all fairness I've yet to review his either. :o

I don't see what everyone's got against No Fun- it's a great cover, the idea was Iggy's originally apparently, and the amount of irony is miniscule. They're also great live.

Stefu X
19-06-2004, 20:19:54
So, where's the second Swederock CD? The world is waiting.

Scabrous Birdseed
20-06-2004, 15:51:31
Yeah. Um. It's still in the planning stages. Autumn.

BigGameHunter
20-06-2004, 16:30:46
That's all the music they had. You'll have to wait another millenia or two for the archives to be built up.

Stefu X
20-06-2004, 16:56:11
There's always ABBA.

Stefu X
18-07-2004, 18:53:10
Incidentally, I just have to mention that I just saw Soundtrack of Our Lives live and they rocked like a mother fuck. A re-evaluation of opinion is obviously necessary.