PDA

View Full Version : V.Vinge, Deepness in the Sky

Qweeg
04-02-2002, 13:13:51
Okay i take it back- mister minge- er... i mean Vinge's work is alright really, so far Deepness's story has become more interesting- multilayered and intelligent then i first supposed it would be by page 20. Thats the thing though- if it was one of my favoured writers i'd be locked in by page two- however V.Vinge's stuff is actually pretty good (better then Scott Card by at least 5 points anywayz) I see now why Noisy likes his stuff.

I have been doing an awful lot of reading and playing of Civ3 and AvP recently as i have stopped smoking (and also smoking) again- i find this becomes very easy provided i don't drink alcahol too. You can help me out by suggesting yet more stuff worth reading, or perhaps just a healthier vice (other then kinky sex with fast women)

Funkodrom
04-02-2002, 13:24:16
I haven't read that one yet but A Fire on the Deep was great.

Qweeg
04-02-2002, 13:31:12
Sounds like they're part of the same story but readable as one-offs. I like the way the spiders sense of the world is so 'human' despite their being thuroughly alien from our perspective. (i'm guessing there were spiders in Fire on the Deep too).

Funkodrom
04-02-2002, 13:36:36
Nope.

jsorense
04-02-2002, 17:24:26
I liked "Fire" much better than "Deepness."
And they are better than spiders IMHO.

Funkodrom
04-02-2002, 21:00:45
Gotcha.

Still probably pick this up if I see it somewhere... if I ever make it to any shops.

Noisy
05-02-2002, 00:31:57
Qweeg: I picked up the recommendation from jsorense and others, so any thanks should go to them.

js: I like 'Deepness' better than 'Fire', but I put that difference down to the order in which we read them.

I have just finished 'Across Realtime', which I thought was another in the same series. However, it turns out to be two novels - 'The Peace War' and 'Marooned in Realtime' - gathered under a cover, linked in pretty much the same way that 'Fire' and 'Deepness' were. Based on a tehnological twist, the first posits a dictatorship (which maintains power using a "superweapon") which is combatted by resistance from within the dominated society. (Reminds me in some way of my favourite book of all time - 'The Day After Tomorrow' by Robert A. Heinlein.) The second story weaves a detective tale around the "superweapon" and time-travel. The detective story is quite clumsy, but the characterisation and the story-within-a-story are clever. Altogether, they are good, but not up to the level of the previous books.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
05-02-2002, 22:11:47
I've heard it said that Vinge really only wrote the RealTime books to promote his idea of Singularity - that there is a point in the not too distant future where progress in technology will accelerate to the point where it may approach infinity (or at least, a very large number).

Many people who subscribe to Vinge's theories (and those of people with similar theories) believe that it will happen within 50 years.

In The Peace War, Vinge purposely invented a disaster in order to slow down the real-world acceleration of technological innovation in order to have enough time to tell the story, and in Marooned... highlighted the near-instant transformation of society (the disappearance/transcendence of the Earth's population in the, was it 24th? century) and brought forth "post-human" characters who were in the process of transcending.

In Fire..., Vinge also explores the nature of transcendence/post-Singularity. It seems to be a common theme of his :)

Oh, and here's an essay by Vinge on the Singularity.

jsorense
07-02-2002, 00:14:07
Noisy,
That is an interesting observation about the sequence.
j

Qweeg
09-02-2002, 14:29:48
The V guy certainly has alot of interesting insights regarding space-faring technologies, in a way thats plausable like C J Cherryh's insights- how the 'way things work' might effect the existance of human life and society out there. Like Cherryh's saying "physics waits for no one" and how that defines the level of- discipline and teamwork i suppose on the merchenter vessels. There's abit to much life without gravity in Vinges stuff for the human body in my opinion though.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
28-03-2002, 23:34:42
Well, I have just finished A Fire Upon the Deep, and I must that, even though I worked out the ending halfway through the book, there were enough twists and ideas contained within the story to hold my attention and make me stay up until midnight to finish it.

Now I don't know what I'm going to read next. Maybe a trip to the library is in order!

Jon Miller
19-04-2002, 01:43:39
I am a real fan of both Vinge and Cherryh

Jon Miller

MDA
23-04-2002, 16:19:07
strange story: I first read a Fire on the Deep (my first Vinge novel) because it was recommended in the SMAC manual!