Scabrous Birdseed
02-07-2003, 21:34:37
Coooooool. Free CDs!

King_Ghidra
03-07-2003, 08:18:58
No, you have to taken them back dude.

Scabrous Birdseed
03-07-2003, 11:09:50
Damn. Oh well. They weren't all that good anyway, except the Hellacopters album.

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-07-2003, 17:17:29
My library used to have 90% easy listening and 10% Fall albums.

Scabrous Birdseed
03-07-2003, 17:28:48
Naw, there was loads of cool stuff in there. A cursory glance spotted everything from Sam Cooke to Screamadelica.

And anyway that's just my local library! Tomorrow I'm going down to the house of culture reading (not Reading!) room in the city centre, according to their website they've got 16000 records and CDs of which 4000 are borrowable, bound to be some good stuff in that.

Scabrous Birdseed
07-07-2003, 20:41:11
The central library turned out to be a bit crap, it's obviously used too much and all the good stuff is cherry-picked.

I went back to the local (ish) library today though and they've got absolute shitloads of great stuff. Really unexpected items as well, like a hard-to-find 2002 compilation of Soca, several high-profile box sets, immense amounts of Cajun music, Lou Reed's Berlin, etc. etc.

Debaser
07-07-2003, 21:12:49
I once bought a Atari Teenage Riot album for 1 pound from Lower Earley library.

It was rubbish.

Scabrous Birdseed
09-07-2003, 16:45:50
One really good thing about borrowing CDs at the library is that you can get stuff you've been thinking of buying and see if it's worth splashing out for. Kinda like KaZaA but a bit more tactile. Because of this it's almost as helpful to find CDs you don't like- I mean, you've just spared yourself the unnecessary expense.

Out of the current ten CDs I've got out I won't be buying the following:

Car Wheels on a Gravel Road by Lucinda Williams (mediocre)
Oh Lord - Stand By Me/Marching Up To Zion by The Blind Boys of Alabama (decent but there's better Gospel out there)
Abstinence by Popsicle (or any other Popsicle album for that matter- seriously overhyped Swedish britpop)
Mezzanine by Massive Attack (Jesus christ this is boring. They've even managed to ruin Man Next Door by The Paragons! Fucking Trip-Hop wankers.)

Will probably not buy the following:

Dig My Mood by Nick Lowe (I thought this was meant to be the start of his awesome Alt-Country period which culminated in The Convincer a couple of years ago, but it's obviously transitional, often veering into Pub Rock. Not bad, but I'll buy his next one instead.)
Payin' The Dues by The Hellacopters (I haven't actually listened to this one yet. :o)
Soca Leaders (probably too much repetition of Soca Gold 2002 material)
Blues Masters 10: Blues Roots (very interesting but not all that enjoyable, the series is way overpriced too)

The only ones I'm seriously considering are discs one and three off the Rhino box set Loud, Fast and Out of Control: The Wild Sounds of '50s Rock (obviously together with discs 2 and 4 that someone else had borrowed for some reason), which has a mediocre selection (very "timid oldies station") but absolutely magnificent mastering- I was shuddering through "Johnny B. Goode", damn that's an unexpectedly great bassline.

protein
09-07-2003, 20:42:27
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
One really good thing about borrowing CDs at the library is that you can get stuff you've been thinking of buying and see if it's worth splashing out for.
What? DOES NOT COMPUTE. You get a CD which you can easily clone at the cost of about 25p but instead you spend 16 and the only difference is that you get a glossy booklet. :clueless:

Scabrous Birdseed
09-07-2003, 21:52:59
And deservingly pay the artist, surely? I feel guilty every time I use a burnt CD, much more so than with a compilation made by someone else or a couple of MP3s.

Scabrous Birdseed
30-07-2003, 17:46:30
Visit #4, still amazed at the depth of the material. Picked up two volumes of achingly obscure regional swedish punk, the latest Sizzla album and a Little Feat best of, decided to leave Les Mysteries des Voix Bulgares on the shelf.