PDA

View Full Version : Evanescence

Lazarus and the Gimp
23-06-2003, 21:58:28
Shit.

Mind you, I've always been a bit partial to lasses with chunky thighs- it's just a shame that this particular one looks a bit retarded.

Debaser
23-06-2003, 22:10:39
Aye, she looks ok. It's just a shame her shitty band sound like Linkin Park covering Torn by Natalie Umbrugliaiaiaiaiaia.

Funkodrom
24-06-2003, 08:14:44
Can't disagree. The video is appalling as well.

They make her look very nice in the publicity shots though.

King_Ghidra
24-06-2003, 10:57:38
yeah linkin park was the first thing that sprung to mind for me too

and yet a number of my cowies and clan mates seem to think it's amazing

shows what a bunch of losers they are

The Shaker
24-06-2003, 10:59:47
Bought it last week, listened to it constantly at work since.
I think it's really good.
You can only relate the linkin park thing to that one single.

Funkodrom
24-06-2003, 11:06:53
Ok, might have to listen to the rest then.

The Shaker
24-06-2003, 11:16:36
Ahhh, so this isn't about the album, just the single.

you'll hate the album as well.
Oh, and i've no idea how fit the bird looks either. What on earth is the world coming to.

Funkodrom
24-06-2003, 11:23:16
Yeah, I know the album was #1 I just didn't think I knew anyone who owned it. :D

The Shaker
24-06-2003, 11:29:42
was it???
shit, now I feel mainstream :(

Funkodrom
24-06-2003, 11:30:44
Yep, straight in I think. It was #1 in Virgin anyway. And the single at the same time.

Eklektikos
24-06-2003, 11:42:53
I agree, the single is absolutely, atrociously cheesy. The girl is quite hot and she does seem to be able to sing quite well, but the song and the overall sound of the arrangement is dire.

paiktis22
24-06-2003, 17:44:34
Well everything is shit isn't it?
This is fast food easy stuff.
I also thought it was Limpin park at first.

Cheesy as was said. And shit. But in a sea of shit, it's less shitty. Just a bit.

Lazarus and the Gimp
24-06-2003, 20:02:10
There's something basically wrong about Christian Nu-metal/Goth. It's like a kiddies entertainer who gets his cock out.

Scabrous Birdseed
24-06-2003, 20:21:53
Where christianity is the metaphorical member?

*End Is Forever*
25-06-2003, 13:37:17
Cheer up, at least they aren't P.O.D....

paiktis22
25-06-2003, 14:25:16
I hope you immideatly classified my entry of two POD songs in sloww's lyrics thread as an instant of the most brilliant mockery.

Are Evanescence "christian"? Like creed is christian rock?

I could never tell. Propably because according to our jolly fat archbishop such music is automatically classified as satanic anyway and thus such music could never be associated in my mind as having anything to do with christianity.

Beisdes it's teh hambourger flavour of the week bound to be condemned to oblivion after a month or so. Untill the next "rock" boy/girl band comes along. They've extended the one use boyband to other kinds of music I think. To catch all relevant audiences.
I suppose only back metal remains impregnable to this trend.

Koshko
25-06-2003, 21:49:22
Yes they are considered Christian rock. They are played on the Christian stations. POD is too.

Caligastia
26-06-2003, 02:59:33
I have always hated christian music, but POD actually make me feel good. Sure, their sound isn't ground-breaking, but I find their lyrics uplifting.

paiktis22
26-06-2003, 14:11:52
Originally posted by Koshko
Yes they are considered Christian rock. They are played on the Christian stations. POD is too.

You know I've always felt there was something that was just wrong about both Evanescence and Creed, something apart their crap music.

This cocks in a children party explanation Lazarus gave. something that just didn't feel right, something very fundamental missing.

BTW can someone give me a definition of "christian rock"?
What exactly is it?
Does it have to not have references to lucifer or does it have to have a moderniazed message from the bible or what exactly?

Funkodrom
26-06-2003, 15:46:26
"The Christian Stations?"

Scary words.

Eklektikos
26-06-2003, 16:17:22
Even the thought of one is worrisome enough http://www.gamecatcher.net/fora/images/smiles/scared.gif

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-06-2003, 17:03:00
Originally posted by paiktis22

BTW can someone give me a definition of "christian rock"?
What exactly is it?
Does it have to not have references to lucifer or does it have to have a moderniazed message from the bible or what exactly?

The only Evanescence track I've heard is the single and I heard no overt biblical references in it. However it's full of "Christian-friendly" stuff about "being saved".

On first hearing I thought it was weird- like someone had taken the lyrics of a Happy House track and stuck them on a nu-metal backing. Then I found out they were God-botherers, and it all made sense.

paiktis22
26-06-2003, 17:20:49
God brotherers? :lol:
Does this term actually exists? They use it?

I give up :D

At least I think I'm safe saying that bands like Echo and the Bunnymen and songs like Don't let it get you down will never ever be considered "christian rock" or anything.

Funkodrom
26-06-2003, 17:28:08
It's certainly a commonly used term in Britain.

Stefu X
26-06-2003, 18:49:44
"God-botherers"... that sounds like a clunky, silly term. Then again, many Britticisms do.

And Evanescense is ripping off Lacuna Coil even harder than Creed is ripping off Pearl Jam. With the exception that unlike the three other bands mentioned, Lacuna Coil is actually good. And Italian.

And "good Christian music" isn't oxymoron. Christians can make good music and even put in a message, as long as they can refrain from ripping off other artists. 16 Horsepower, for example, is good and very Christian, or at least the singer is.

paiktis22
27-06-2003, 11:42:54
Originally posted by Funkodrom
It's certainly a commonly used term in Britain.

Yes I guess. I found it exceptionally funny and odd cause I thought of it like the word "brothers" was used in the "heavy metal" terminology and sense and that they just added "God" in front of it. Sort of like christian heavy metal (= God -brothers), which I gather also exists.

"brothers in christ" is also used here amongst the religious. but I think that no rock band here would describe themselves that way, because rock music in this parts is mostly the sanctuary of the non religious.
then again we do have the rockin' monks but that's another story :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1871276.stm

About 16 Horsepower they are characterized by their "gospel" blends in their music and their lyrics but how can they be classified "christian" will continue to elude me I guess.

paiktis22
27-06-2003, 12:05:48
I mean would you call Nick Cave's music "christian" for example?
He's influenced by the bible and all that and possesses all the characteristic traits of a search for the divine etc but "christian"???

To my mind "christian songs" are those sung in the catechism schools (or equiavalant) but I may be wrong.

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-06-2003, 16:52:25
It's "bother", not "brother".

Nick Cave's work is biblical, but not Christian. He uses biblical allegories, Old Testament imagerey and notions, but certainly doesn't espouse any notions associated with "born again" Christianity. He lifts the guilt and ceremony from Catholicism, adds the wrath and doom-mongering of Calvinism, and ditches all those notions of heaven and inherent goodness.

BigGameHunter
27-06-2003, 22:03:53
The night I met Duncan Shiek (what a fag!) and ate all his backstage food, he was opening for some fey Christian band called "Jars of Clay".

The only bands I can tolerate making biblical references are the Grateful Dead, Leonard Cohen and Iron Maiden. The others are sickeningly earnest.

Provost Harrison
30-06-2003, 20:33:14
Originally posted by Funkodrom
"The Christian Stations?"

Scary words.

Stations of the cross ;)

BigGameHunter
30-06-2003, 20:35:44
Oooooh! Good one!

Foetus
03-07-2003, 22:11:26
"God botherer":
One who constantly bothers you with a need to tell you about God. The perpetually doorstep bound Jehova's witness, the true lurker at the threshhold. Just take it outside, Godboy.

Or alternatively, one who consitantly bothers God with his woes, praises and requests.

It's a great term and does exactly what it says on the tin.