PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King

MattHiggs
02-02-2002, 22:33:36
Anyone like this author. I've read loads of his books, I really like The Stand. What do you think of his books and films also.

Lady_of_Chicken
04-02-2002, 20:19:27
I read a lot of his books when I was fifteen/younger (about 17 years ago or so?) so anything written after that I haven't read...got Kinged out.

Cujo was suspenseful. Carrie, Christine, Salem's Lot. Good reads. Psychic stuff. Hit my limit and moved on.

But the one I liked best and re-read occassionally because I like the dialogue and development of characters and their thoughts is The Shining.

I like something that comes off so unpretentious, simple and yet seems to have layers. It is a fun read and keeps you glued.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
04-02-2002, 23:27:29
I also liked The Stand, and rather enjoyed The Tommyknockers. But I hated Needful Things, and some of his novellas suck. I mean, what was he thinking when he wrote The Langoliers?

I agree with the above poster ( :) ) that SK wrote some good early stuff. But lately he's either running out of ideas, the editors/publishers/SK are doing a sucky job because he's famous and they know he'll sell no matter what he puts forth (a bit like that Dean Koontz book Dona read), or he's getting lazy.

Noisy
05-02-2002, 00:03:35
I think that Stephen King has just announced that he has retired from writing.

MattHiggs
05-02-2002, 01:48:31
The Shining is one of the best reads I have experienced, I like the film just as much too, very, very fascinating and eerie.

(am I the first person to say I like a film just as much as a book :eek:)

Darkstar
05-02-2002, 09:13:06
I did hear on the news that Steven King had announced that he will retire from writing when his contract runs out, which is five more books.

Guy
05-02-2002, 13:17:49
Stephen King, in my opinion, has great ideas and does amazing characterization, but often flounders in pulling it all together. The first half of The Stand was absolutely flawless, where it dealt with the disease and the survivor's reactions, the second half went straight to hell with the psychic pilgramiges and good vs. evil junk.

I love his characters, but am usually left cold by his stories. Or at least I used to be, I also haven't read anything he's written since The Stand.

King_Ghidra
05-02-2002, 13:43:36
Originally posted by MattHiggs
The Shining is one of the best reads I have experienced, I like the film just as much too, very, very fascinating and eerie.

(am I the first person to say I like a film just as much as a book :eek:)

Well I guess the cliché is that books are always better than films, but it does sometimes go the other way.

Having read some of the original Bonds, Dr No, etc. i can honestly say the films are a lot better, although Ian Fleming is probably an underrated writer.

Blade Runner may only be loosely based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but it's miles better.

Also i have never read the Godfather, but i'll be surprised if it's as good as the film, and ditto Goodfellas.

And having seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas recently i thought that was on a par with the book.

that's a few already :)

MattHiggs
05-02-2002, 14:37:45
I hate 'the book is better than the film' nearly as much as 'I like their earlier stuff, before they were popular' :bash:

Lady_of_Chicken
05-02-2002, 18:42:30
If there is a book for Good Will Hunting, I'd like to read it. Would be great to be inside Will's head. Some things just can't be shown on screen. Thought they did a good job, but would like to see even more.

Speaking of minds...anybody see A Brilliant Mind...and is there anything written that this is based on?

Back to Steven King. I haven't read anything of his lately, but I did see the Green Mile and was impressed. That may have inspired me to read him again. Kind of reminded me of Faulkner...The Sound and The Fury(?) Don't know why.

DaShi
08-02-2002, 07:39:51
I've only read Cujo. It was pretty good. A bit gory though.

I eventually gave it to a pretty waitress in China.

King_Ghidra
08-02-2002, 09:02:01
what about the book?

walruskkkch
08-02-2002, 20:49:59
Did you get the egg roll?

DaShi
10-02-2002, 09:53:16
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
what about the book?

I don't know. I guess I just forgot about it. :o :smoke:

Venom
10-02-2002, 18:29:33
Were I able to read, I'd read these.

FunkyFingers
03-07-2002, 15:46:30
I went through a major Stephen King phase when I was 15-18 or so, read quite a lot of his books. I thought his later ones were less scary - they were more about stupid monsters, wheras the earlier ones were more suspenseful.

Venom
03-07-2002, 16:46:39
"It" is quite possibly his scariest book.

FunkyFingers
03-07-2002, 17:23:40
That was a good-un. Awful film though IIRC

Venom
03-07-2002, 17:48:33
Horrible film. Utter crap and not anywhere near the events in the book.

FunkyFingers
04-07-2002, 08:26:58
However, The Shining was a very good film indeed.

Qweeg
04-07-2002, 13:15:37
The last SK book read was The Dark Half- that was awhile ago but I remember it being entertaining at the least, more an action and violence story then a horror story, and I saw the movie which was alright too.

Before that I read the book about this woman who goes to a country cabin with her husband for a dirty weekend. There is some- um... unpleasantness, which results with the husband dying and the woman left hand-cuffed to the bed for a few days. That was a really good book, but again not really horror, but definately layered and complex. Can't remember the name of the book but it I was impressed with how much a person being attached to a bed-post for a few days could make for a very absorbing story.