PDA

View Full Version : Angband / Zangband tips...

Darkstar
18-06-2003, 06:34:23
Hey! Where is the basic Angband \ Zangband tips telling people how to do all the decent inscribes?

Sir Penguin
18-06-2003, 06:50:12
There's some stuff in here: http://www.thangorodrim.net/help/macrofaq.txt

It's got a whole crapload of stuff (common marking for weapon trading/firing, plus less common things like not letting you run while wielding a shovel), but it's not centralised at all. It's also got some stuff on macros.

SP

The Mad Monk
18-06-2003, 08:51:36
Surely, running with a shovel isn't as dangerous as running with scissors!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
18-06-2003, 15:24:38
The source code is the best place to check out inscribe information :)

Goob
18-06-2003, 15:34:25
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Surely, running with a shovel isn't as dangerous as running with scissors!

It depends on whether one of Farmer Maggot's dogs are chasing you or not...

Darkstar
18-06-2003, 22:26:56
Well, I had mainly been interested in the weapon to tunnel tool swapper to begin with, but now other inscribes are coming in useful...

Cumber
21-06-2003, 11:32:32
I have a whole bunch of standard inscribes I use. Most important one is for spellcasters: @m1@b1@G1 on all my spellbooks (put 1-4 instead of 1 for the 4 books of my primary realm, 5-8 for the second). Since mushrooms and spellbooks from off-realms have an irritating habit of going in the list above my useful spellbooks...

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
21-06-2003, 18:11:08
Then there's !k!d!v for rods, wands and staves, !* for scrolls of recall or healing potions, @f1=g for ammo etc.

Darkstar
23-06-2003, 22:55:17
Yeppers. Those *are* the most useful inscribes. Thanks!

Sir Penguin
30-06-2003, 06:14:00
I just felt the urge to post this: :coolgrin:

[Zangband 2.4.0 Character Dump]

Name : Twat Age 104 STR: 10
Sex : Male Height 90 INT: 18/***
Race : High-Elf Weight 190 WIS: 18/136
Class : Mage Social Class 36 DEX: 18/40
Magic : Chaos CON: 18/43
Sorcery CHR: 18/80

+ Skill 11 Level 31 Max Hit Points 236
% Deadliness 154 Experience 246154 Cur Hit Points 236
+ To AC 54 Max Exp 246154 Max SP (Mana) 280
Base AC 15 Exp to Adv. 345000 Cur SP (Mana) 280
Gold 143410

(Miscellaneous Abilities)
Fighting : Fair Perception : Excellent Blows/Round : 2
Bows/Throw : Fair Searching : Good Shots/Round : 1.0
Saving Throw: Chaos Rank Disarming : Superb Avg.Dam./Rnd: 10
Stealth : Chaos Rank Magic Device: Amber [5] Infra-Vision: 70'

(Character Background)
You are the only child of a Teleri Ranger. You have light
grey eyes, straight black hair, and a fair complexion.

[Miscellaneous information]

Maximize Mode: ON
Preserve Mode: ON
Autoscum: ALWAYS
Small Levels: ALWAYS
Arena Levels: OFF
Hard Quests: OFF
Num. Random Quests: 48
Nightmare Mode: OFF
Recall Depth: Level 29 (1450')

abcdefghijkl@
Acid : +............
Elec : +............
Fire : +.....+......
Cold : +............
Poison: +............
Fear : .............
Light : ............+
Dark : .............
Shard : .........+...
Blind : .........+...
Conf : .............
Sound : .............
Nether: .............
Nexus : ......+......
Chaos : .............
Disnch: +............

abcdefghijkl@
Speed : ..+...+......
Reflect : .............
AuraFire: .....+.......
AuraElec: .....+.......
NoTelprt: .............
No Magic: .............
Wraithfm: .............
DrainExp: .............
Teleport: .............

abcdefghijkl@
Free Actn: +............
SeeInvis.: +...........+
Hold Life: .............
Telepathy: .........+...
SlwDigstn: .............
Regen. : +............
Levitate : +............
PermLite : ......+......
Aggravate: .............
EvilCurse: .............

You have defeated 5398 enemies.

[Virtues]

You are the living embodiment of Knowledge.
You are a great champion of Mysticism.
You are very virtuous in Vitality.
You are virtuous in Chance.
You have strayed from the path of Justice.
You are somewhat virtuous in Honour.
You are the polar opposite of Compassion.
You are somewhat virtuous in Sacrifice.

[Character Equipment]

a) a Whip (Defender) (1d6) (+7,+15) [+6] (+1 to stealth) {@w0}
b) (nothing)
c) a Wedding Ring of Speed (+5)
d) a Ring of Intelligence (+3)
e) an Amulet of Brilliance (+3) {uncursed}
f) The Incandescent Light of Edison (+3 to infravision)
g) The Padded Armour 'Monolith' [4,+13] (+3 to speed) {uncursed}
h) an Elven Cloak [4,+11] (+3 to stealth)
i) a Small Leather Shield [3,+6]
j) The Hard Leather Cap of Thranduil [2,+10] (+2)
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots of Stealth [2,+6] (+3 to stealth) {uncursed}

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Chaos Spellbooks [Sign of Chaos] {!k!d!v@m1@G1@b1}
b) a Chaos Spellbook [Chaos Mastery] {!k!d!v@m3@G3@b3}
c) a Sorcery Spellbook [Beginner's Handbook] {!k!d!v@m2@G2@b2}
d) a Sorcery Spellbook [Master Sorcerer's Handbook] {!k!d!v@m4@G4@b4}
e) 13 Metallic Purple Potions of Cure Critical Wounds {25% off}
f) 2 Brown Potions of Healing {!k!d!v!q}
g) 5 Gold Speckled Potions of Restore Mana
h) 5 Green Potions of Restore Life Levels
i) 7 Scrolls titled "gre rhovbjor" of Teleportation {50% off}
j) 8 Scrolls titled "trolden wexeep" of Word of Recall {!k!d!v!r}
k) 9 Scrolls titled "zundalf bu" of Satisfy Hunger
l) a Hexagonal Rod of Fire Balls

This character scares me. He found that whip and the padded armour very early on (I think the whip was around clevel 10 or so), and has never been wanting for money (Smeagol coughed up something nice before I even entered the dungeon, and Twat hasn't had less than 10K since). I just hope the RNG has lessened its frustrations on the fact that it kept the phial from me until 800', as well as the two times the character's been at 0 HP. I bet it feels smug about the damned shield. :rolleyes:

SP

MDA
30-06-2003, 16:28:06
(Character Background)
You are a gay twat. You have light grey eyes,
straight black hair, and a fair complexion.

:)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
30-06-2003, 17:33:19
I find it strange you don't group spell book types as 1-4 then 5-8, but interleave them. That just seems foreign to me, but then you ARE Canadian :D

Monolith rocks - if you got it before the Phial, even better. Your boots and sheild suck, and you need to find gloves of Dexterity or Free Action. I like all the speed items (but you do know that you won't find any speed items during your next high-level character to compensate, right? :) )

Your rod's pretty lame, but then, most of them are.

Darkstar
30-06-2003, 18:36:01
You know, the first time I cranked up AngBand on this Angplaying trip, I was doing a simple mage character. Got Boots of Speed +9 on my first time to level 2! Made for a very successful mage until I went and gave myself a very, very silly death. Fighting some half-orcs and uruks and for some reason, didn't notice they were SHOOTING me with arrows. Came as quite a shock to be told I'd died, since I'd had lots of heal potions... the buzzer for low hit points never rang and in all the death dealing notices I didn't notice the sudden drop from 90 HP to 1 HP...

Oh well. If it wasn't for stupid deaths, there wouldn't be any deaths at all in AngBand...

Sir Penguin
30-06-2003, 19:42:17
Originally posted by MDA
(Character Background)
You are a gay twat. You have light grey eyes,
straight black hair, and a fair complexion.

:)

At least he's not a mindflayer!

Update: Got up to level 33 last night (Identify True!). Found Pattern Sorcery in Rise and Fall of Micro$oft (Doom beaming all those thieves... ohhhh man), barely made it out of the Vault alive, and kicked ass in the lake quest. I found the Star of Elendil in that quest with the Spectral Tyrannosaurus. Pattern Sorcery is pretty lame, except for Dimension Door and WoR. I've drunk enough Intelligence potions that I could drop the +3 amulet in favour of a +6 searching amulet while still retaining INT 18/***.

Qaj: It seems strange to me that they don't group spellbooks according to level in the inventory. :)

Darkstar: At least you didn't give the RNG time to do something really horrible to you. :)

SP

Darkstar
30-06-2003, 20:02:09
Well, I've had a few more typical Darkstar RNG turn outs since then. ;)

At home, I've got a Human Priest... and looks like he's on the proper path to have a chance of going further then I have ever gotten before in AngBand. Figures... I'm running 3.0.1 at home, and after that character ends his glorious adventure carrier to some stupidity of mine, I'm going to upgrade to 3.0.3. I prefer it's ZangBand style empty dots to the empty spaces... not sure if there is anything really significant differences between 3.0.1 and 3.0.3 other then that.

I've been looking for a good AngBand / ZangBand database though. I've wondered occasionally what a few of the spells do that I don't know (Orb of Draining? So it is useful. I thought it did something else that wasn't that useful.). Some things I like to figure out, but after your 15th ( +20, +20 ) Sling/Short Bow/Long Bow/Crossbow of Power, it just makes you wonder... Well, it makes me wonder. So, I'd like to be able to just look it up somewhere...

I did manage to catch a AngBand labeled Spell FAQ.... even though it seems to be an ZangBand Spell FAQ actually... in the rec...roguelike group. Still, I don't like having to look through a few thousand messages to just to find an answer ("What does PRAYER do?") Too easy for someone to drop a spoiler and not label it in that group. Very uncool group in general in that fashion...

Google doesn't seem to do very well in trivia fact searching of AngBand...

Sir Penguin
30-06-2003, 20:10:26
There are a bunch of spoilers at www.zangband.org. I don't know if they give descriptions of {excellent} weapon modifiers.

SP

Darkstar
30-06-2003, 20:49:08
Well, I don't want to know ALL the secrets at once. Just info on a particular item. See the difference? Having to scan through a list of things I don't know to find one item could decrease my fun of discover.

And weapons of Power are not {excellent}. The +20 +20 Long Bow of Power was only {good}. Some really nice things are in the {good} ranking...

If I really wanted to know, I could just get the source code and look through that if I wanted to go delving for secrets, right? But that would literally expose all the secrets, and I didn't want to do that. I was just interested in what Orb of Draining and Prayer did (I know now), and what "Power" meant (I know that as well now).

Some things just aren't as obvious or intuitive as I would like. ;) I think I'll just use the CG Angband Search Engine from now on. It's slow, but it doesn't tend to reveal other spoilers at the same time. ;)

Sir Penguin
30-06-2003, 20:53:58
Foo of Power is {good}? :hmm: Are you sure you're not playing a character with weak pseudo-id?

SP

Darkstar
30-06-2003, 21:04:58
It's a priest. Getting close to 30th level. I have no clue how good his pseudo-ID is. But so far, ALL the Power items have only been good. Started at about +5, +8 Short Bow of Power. Been trading up as better bonuses show up.

Sir Penguin
30-06-2003, 23:01:05
Yeah, priests have fast, weak pseudo-id. IIRC, that means that everything you find that isn't bad or normal is good (including good, excellent, ego, and special items).

SP

Darkstar
01-07-2003, 19:34:16
Oh. Well, I didn't know that. Cool! Of course, that means a priest hasn't a clue what to keep out of a pile of possible goods... Oh well.

The Mad Monk
01-07-2003, 19:44:16
Just pump up your strength, and carry 100 ID scrolls -- that's what I do.

Darkstar
01-07-2003, 19:52:34
You mean 99 ID scrolls, don't you? You cannot carry 100 of an item in a single slot.

The Mad Monk
01-07-2003, 21:05:17
Why limit yourself to a single slot?

The Mad Monk
01-07-2003, 21:07:30
I always end up at a point where I have to decide which cheap (and at the end of big battles, not so cheap) consumbles to eject to keep the uberstuff.

Sir Penguin
03-07-2003, 22:17:40
Big equipment shift for me:

+ The Long Sword 'Werewindle' (3d5) (+8,+12) (+2)
- a Whip (Defender) (1d6) (+7,+15) [+6] (+1 to stealth)
I lose all four elemental resists plus poison and disenchantment resist; free action; see invisible; regen; and levitation.
I gain elec, fear, light, dark, disenchantment resists; +2 speed, STR, CON; free action; see invisible; slow digestion; regen; perm light. Also, getaway activation (every 35 turns) and sustains for STR, INT, WIS, and CON.

+ The Mithril Chain Mail of Lohengrin (-1) [28,+20] (+4 to stealth)
- The Padded Armour 'Monolith' [4,+13] (+3 to speed)
I lose 3 speed, INT, WIS; a CHR sustain; fire, nexus resists; permanent light.
I gain +4 stealth, INT, WIS; life draining, fear resists; all elemental resists; poison, dark, nether resists; see invisible; and an activation for heal (777) and heroism every 300 turns.

+ The Large Leather Shield of Celegorm [4,+20]
- a Small Metal Shield of Reflection [5,+11]
I lose crap all. Well, reflection.
I gain crap all, except a few AC. Well, all the elemental resists, plus light & dark.

Summary: I have added fear, dark, nether resists, slow digestion; +2 STR, CON; +1 INT, WIS; a whack of useful sustains. This at a cost of 1 speed, nexus resist, reflect, and levitation, and CHR sustain. Good deal. :)

(Note: this is meant for entertainment purposes only. There are certain inaccuracies--for example, I forgot about stealth from the defender--but rest assured that I know about EVERY SINGLE ONE of them.)

SP

Sir Penguin
03-07-2003, 22:40:39
Oh, and I have a free ring slot that's looking for an occupant.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-07-2003, 23:06:53
How about a ring of teleportation (cursed)?

Sir Penguin
03-07-2003, 23:43:38
That would be useless as soon as I ran across a remove curse scroll, unless I could stop my automatic read reflex in time. Maybe I'll just keep the spot free until I find the One Ring.

SP

The Mad Monk
04-07-2003, 03:11:49
I've heard that if you do not please the One Ring, it will bite your finger off and poke you in the eyes with it -- forever.

Sir Penguin
04-07-2003, 03:25:48
+ Armageddon Tome from the Chaos Node quest. :coolgrin:

SP

Sir Penguin
05-07-2003, 08:49:00
There seems to be a bug in the Meteor Swarm code. The game crashes sometimes when I cast it.

Maybe it's because the message buffer overflows. :coolgrin:

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
06-07-2003, 19:28:36
Get a bigger message buffer then :)

Sir Penguin
08-07-2003, 04:06:21
Does anybody remember the limit for speed benefits? I found a RoS +8, which would bring my character's speed up to +20 if I wore both rings, +30 with the haste self spell.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
08-07-2003, 17:10:27
I think it's effective up to +40, after that it drops off, though don't quote me on that - they fixed the speed system a few years back and I can't remember if that made a difference. Probably not, but it did stop your slower enemies getting two moves in to your one.