PDA

View Full Version : Now Playing...

Darkstar
02-02-2002, 10:27:58
Etherlords... This is a Heroes of Might and Magic knock off/clone, which uses Magic : The Gathering for it's tactical combat system. It's so so, so far :). But I'd rather play Magic : The Gathering when I'm in the CTC mood. Unfortunately, MtG WILL NOT INSTALL on a Windows 2000 system. The autorun says 'You can try it', but the actual installer literally says 'We will not install this product on your system!' and dumps out. Oh well. So my MtG is retired...

Tetris Worlds... It's a small set of Tetris variations. As there are a couple I like, it will sit on my hard drive. Minuses for this game is that it crashes... at screen transitions... and it crashes a lot. More serious to me is the fact there is no pause. This is a serious oversight, as a board in this game can easily last 20 to 30 minutes... You really need a pause for handling those things that come along while playing a game for that long (or longer).

Car Tycoon... This game isn't going to last much longer on my system. I generally LOVE economic empire builders, and while I'm not a gear head, I do like cars. This game however, manages to capture... NOTHING about managing a car manufacturing empire. It crashes a lot, due to serious resource leaks, it cannot manage to play it's own music except in the actual game (menu screens, win screens, etc 'stutter' and often just plain 'lock up'). Another piece of dog doo from Fishtank and Vector.com . Have they ever managed to make a well made game?

Anyways, Car has 20 screens... you ALWAYS compete against 3 other opponents, and you are all trying to reach the same goal. The computer has several CHEATS to make up for the fact that FT and Vector couldn't figure out how to code 100 lines to handle all strategy functions (serious, there isn't anything to the game, so a basic Opponent Engine would NOT be difficult to make. Most A/4.0 High School students could make a OE in just a week). Game shows SERIOUS signs that the game makers never bothered to play it. The city maps (each map is a scenario) have LOTS of problems dealing with basic layout in, which are APPARENT by just WATCHING the screen. Common problems are unreachable destinations, cars not being able to be rolled off the assembly line, etc.

CT uses a 'unlocking' system. 20 maps, you start with 3 unlocked. If you beat a map for the first time, the next locked map unlocks. Out of the 7 I can play, only one was a heck of a lot of fun... It gets a few more hours spin time, and if their is no more fun, it gets deinstalled and sent to the retired shelf...

Oh yeah... I pulled out a pinball game... it was Star Trek Pinball (I love pinball games). The game crashed to desktop trying to get it to run on my Windows 2000 system. Another old game permantently retired to the too old list. (I suppose it cannot be very good game, as I couldn't actually REMEMBER the game.)

Scud Wallaby
02-02-2002, 10:30:55
Originally posted by Darkstar
Oh yeah... I pulled out a pinball game... it was Star Trek Pinball (I love pinball games). The game crashed to desktop trying to get it to run on my Windows 2000 system. Another old game permantently retired to the too old list. (I suppose it cannot be very good game, as I couldn't actually REMEMBER the game.)

I love pinball games too, ever since Pinball Dreams (or Pinball Illusions) on my Amiga. Any recommendations?

I've heard of a new pinball mini game from Monsters Inc. but haven't searched out any reviews yet.

-Scud-

Darkstar
02-02-2002, 10:51:45
In my opinion, the best Pinball game that I've ever played on the PC is Full Tilt Pinball. Published under the Maxis brand. (You get a demo of their table in your accessories in a default Windows installation... Space Cadet. The Space Cadet table in FT is a bit different...)

Following that... just about ANY 3D Ultra Pinball title, although I stack the Thrill Ride and the original at the bottom of all their sets.

After the most fun 3D Ultra Pinball titles, Full Tilt Pinball 2 (Above Thrill Ride and Original 3D Ultra).

That's off the top of my head.

I've got over two dozen titles of Pinball for the PC, literally. Most of the games I've seen tend to be of the 'scroll the screen up and down' type. Which I really dislike, so they never managed to get more then their 'second chance' try-out with me.

Done well, the tilted views of the entire table can be okay.

Microsoft published a Pinball title a while back. It was so-so. It was more of a demostration of Pinball through the modern age then just a set of fun tables. Although it had a table that was fun for my taste.

Scud Wallaby
02-02-2002, 11:13:47
Thanks - i've played Space Cadet a bit and like it - I didn't realise it was a Maxis brand. I might go and hunt FT down later in that case.

-Scud-

Darkstar
02-02-2002, 11:20:52
Good luck. I do not think FT is easily found anymore. Been a while since it was last cut. FT has 3 tables in it... including Space Cadet. They included SC has a lot of it's special board features (and some Sub games) rearranged, although the table is the same layout in itself.

FT2 is a lot of fun as well. Under the Maxis logo, done by 'Maxis South' (a game shop that pretty much got together in Oz just to make the pack, as far as I can tell).

Neither have been made in a long while. EA used to have them for sell on their website, but I don't remember seeing them in a while.

Anyways, have fun and lots of luck to you! They made LOTS of copies, so they are bound to be some around somewhere. Just not easily found at the moment.

Scud Wallaby
02-02-2002, 11:33:32
I'm just downloading the demo of FT2 from http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10036-100-860318.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-8.860318

Looking forward to it!

-Scud-