PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-06-2003, 16:36:20
I'm getting a new PC in a couple of weeks, and I'm out of touch with what's good in games.

I'm looking for-

1- A really good turn-based strategy. Most recent one I own is Civ 3.

2- Something along the Deus Ex line.

3- A really good no/low-brainer shooter with sexy graphics to make my new puppy sit up and beg.

Whaddya recommend?

Deacon
01-06-2003, 19:55:29
Grand Theft Auto 3. The graphics aren't the most detailed, but the gameplay rocks.

BoltyBoy
01-06-2003, 21:48:27
Return to Castle Wolfenstein I think is the most visually impressive no-brainer FPS and you get the added benefit of multiplayer as well as single player. It has a big following so you can get some good multiplayer games.

As for Deus Ex I don't think anything has met that same standard since, but you will fairly soon (this year maybe) have Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 hitting the shelves.. both will make waves.

And yeah GTA3 rocks! Maybe that's the succesor to Deus Ex albeit on a vastly different story line/concept.

The Mad Monk
02-06-2003, 00:19:12
No One Lives Forever 2 is fun, and fun to look at.

Greg W
02-06-2003, 01:55:30
If you want to wait 5-6 months or so for that FPS game to make your puppy beg etc, wait around for Half Life 2. I saw the gameplay video for that, and it is mind-blowing. Doom3 seems like yesterday's redheaded stepchild in comparison...

Hmm, TBS, I'd suggest Europa Universalis, if you like a good empire simulation. Or perhaps the Combat Mission series, though it's more an RTS style wargame than anything. Both seem to have decent followings here. Slightly older, I grabbed a copy of Imperialism recently, and that's a bit of fun too.

Now we're heading onto stuff that I have no personal experience with...

Heroes of Might and Magic IV might be a goer if you're into fantasy settings. Or perhaps Age of Wonders 2. Galactic Civilizations seems to have a reasonable following here, though it wasn't quite my cup of tea. MoO3 seems to be crap, I don't think I've heard anything good about it. A friend of mine suggested .Catan (http://members.home.nl/flits/), though I haven't gotten around to trying it out

maroule
02-06-2003, 09:26:33
just bought Rise of Nation, not bad as a RTS with a hint of turn base

of course, Combat Mission is the best TBS around, but I'm biased

Beta1
02-06-2003, 10:08:39
Yeah combat mission is great but I think he's after a more civ like thing.

GalCiv seems to have a lot of good reviews.

Get Vice City rather than GTA3, its sooooo much more cool.

BoltyBoy
02-06-2003, 10:16:47
Originally posted by Beta1

Get Vice City rather than GTA3, its sooooo much more cool.

Nah I'd say get GTA3 - enjoy it and then get Vice City. You'd find GTA3 lame if you played it after Vice City but if you play it first you'll totally love it and then get double the satisfaction by then playing Vice City. I'm sure there's some logic in their somewhere.

Resource Consumer
02-06-2003, 11:04:41
Op Flashpoint is worth a run. I have heard some good things about Vietcong...

King_Ghidra
02-06-2003, 13:20:35
serious sam 1 or 2 are both good fun no-brainer fps

as for deus ex style - well splinter cell is out for pc now, well received on xbox, dunno what the pc version is like...

MDA
02-06-2003, 14:50:34
There's always Deus Ex 2, it should be out "soon".

DaShi
02-06-2003, 15:32:22
Sadly the last really good turn based strategy game was Civ2. However, Darkstar has given quite a bit of praise to Galactic Civ.

Deus Ex 2 will probably be released in the fall. It was supposed to be released this month but has been pushed back to October. :(

Darkstar
02-06-2003, 21:29:06
GalCiv is a good TBS game overall. The latest balancing and AI enhancement have brought the game back up to its high playing par level (I was bitching under the 1.0.3 balance changes. The 1.0.3 was good other then that.). It is often compared to Civ for basis 4x play. Definately more fun the Civ3, I'd say on par for my fun with Civ2.

Keep in mind that GalCiv is made by a company that doesn't have to answer to anyone but itself, that it has a good, strong, revenue stream coming in from its other products, and that it is using the 'Ultimate Game Development/Customer Support' strategy that we often posted about. GC itself is a decent game, if you like SF Civs.

Of course, I'm strange. I think SMAC is a fun game (although too simple and buggy), MoO 1 and 2 are fun, and Risk on the computer is alright for having an hour or two of mindless clicking...

I'd definately suggest you go GTA3 before Vice City. Best to follow the series up.

BigGameHunter
02-06-2003, 23:14:42
Combat Mission would be a great game for a history buff like yourself, merged with some MP potential and nearly limitless replayability.
Half Life series is the only shooter I ever liked.
Freedom Force was quite entertaining if you like comics....
Uh...Some of the Might and Magic stuff is fun, if you can handle the innumerable and maddening "mini-quests" bullshit.

I have GTA3 on the PS2 but it suffers from the typical "storyline game" problem, mainly, I get to a mission that is balls and I don't have the time/energy/patience to do it over and over and over again to complete it...but it is a fun game, to be sure.

Sean
03-06-2003, 23:05:34
Originally posted by maroule
just bought Rise of Nation, not bad as a RTS with a hint of turn base
I’ve been playing that lately. It’s just not as sharp and fun and polished as AoM, although it does have some nice stuff. And to be frank, the FPS is appalling for a 2D game. Multiplayer is, as ever, addictive.

I woudl reccommend Thief II along the Deus Ex line (smart, thinky, first person game), but it’s hardly going to require a new PC.

Venom
04-06-2003, 00:56:07
Yes, someone talk in detail about Rise of Nations. I'm trying to decide wether or not to buy it.

Sean
04-06-2003, 15:35:17
I would review but I’m too busy playing MP.

Venom
04-06-2003, 15:54:57
Bastard.

Sean
04-06-2003, 16:07:23
I will say this: the multiplayer is as slick and easy as any RTS I’ve seen, at the very least.

Sean
04-06-2003, 18:18:48
Originally posted by Venom
Yes, someone talk in detail about Rise of Nations. I'm trying to decide wether or not to buy it.
1700 words into the review, I’ll grab some screenies when I play tonight and submit it tomorrow.

Venom
04-06-2003, 18:53:53
Good man. You bastard.

DaShi
04-06-2003, 19:43:49
Jedi Knight II is quite fun as well. Three should be out this fall.

Beta1
05-06-2003, 08:47:21
Yeah I like JK2. It has some annoying moments but 90% of it is star wars gold.

maroule
05-06-2003, 09:03:20
yep, not bad, but the beginning sucks donkey arse
isn't Halo coming out on PC soon? for my money, it's still the best shooter ever (although HL2 looks set to beat it)

Sir Penguin
05-06-2003, 09:11:04
I liked the JKII beginning. I thought it was great that the second best weapon (next to the light sabre, of course) you get is also the first. On the other hand, I found the ending disappointing. The bad guy was a pansy.

SP

King_Ghidra
05-06-2003, 11:41:38
agreed sp, i liked the first bit too, the game is too easy after you get the lightsaber (although more fun too). At least by starting wihtout the jedi powers it gives a nice sense of pace and reward when you do finally get your jedi skills back.

maroule
05-06-2003, 11:54:50
masochism : the act of enduring volontarily pain, boredom, repeated failures, so that you feel joy when it stops

do you gay twats also pepper your arseholes with tabasco powder?

and KG, don't be defensive

Beta1
05-06-2003, 11:56:59
But thats the point - Luke Skywalker never broke a sweat when massacring stormtroopers. You get a lightsaber you get the powers and you turn into an unstoppable killing machine. Its just the sheer number of ways to dispatch them thats so fun.

The greatest moments in that game are when you turn a corner and run straight into a crowd of troopers, decapitate a couple while sending another lot flying backwards into a wall, pull the guns out of another groups hands and then lightening blast the rest just for fun.

You know I may be slipping towards the darkside here.

King_Ghidra
05-06-2003, 12:12:18
and KG, don't be defensive

:bash:

shut up you chef buffon

Sir Penguin
06-06-2003, 03:21:47
masochism : the act of enduring volontarily pain, boredom, repeated failures, so that you feel joy when it stops

If you had repeated failures, you must be way worse than I am (so long as you don't count the times I reloaded because the idiot I was playing was stupid enough to get hit and lose some shields). As far as I'm concerned, the most painful parts of the game were the cutscenes. Eugh. But it doesn't get much better than sneaking around, downing storm troopers with one shot of the Bryar pistol.

SP

maroule
06-06-2003, 09:39:51
of the three, just boredom applies to the beginning, the first enigmas (with the colour code, notably) being painful. For me the game starts to live up when you reach the galactic bar and start using your saber.
but it's really a matter of taste, yours is perfectly respectable, and tabasco can be pleasantly ticklish

King_Ghidra
06-06-2003, 10:04:25
My feeling and this applies to all games really, is that the key things which makes games playable and give them longevity are aspiration and reward.

If you had started the game with the lightsaber and all the powers then the game would have become fairly boring after a few levels.

By starting the game with the crappy guns, giving you little advantage over the stormtroopers, the subsequent power you gain is all the more marked. Anyone who plays it knows that they will get the lightsaber at some point but that is a reward to be aimed at.

Similarly, once you have the lightsaber you aspire to gain more force powers and at higher levels. This is your next reward. But these too are all the more satisying and enjoyable because of the contrast with your lowly status at the beginnning of the game.

I agree that some of the puzzles were a little tedious, but i think without that initial section you have a less enjoyable game. It would be like watching the fightscenes from Rocky or Drunken Master or something without seeing all the training beforehand, which is half the fun.

maroule
06-06-2003, 10:38:07
your post makes sense but you still suck

Venom
06-06-2003, 12:11:06
Goddamn that sneaking around mission. Those storm troopers were just begging to lose some body parts.

MDA
06-06-2003, 15:06:28
Gah, I'd forgotten how many times I had to watch the beginning of that damn interrogation droid cutscene.

Cutting down, or pulling/pushing guards about to press the alarm was fun though.

Venom
06-06-2003, 15:15:26
But the award for the most annoying level ever in an otherwise good game goes to The Dream/Drugged Levels in Max Payne.

King_Ghidra@home
06-06-2003, 17:17:27
Damn right. Had to remind someone in my counter-strike clan how shit those bits were when they started going on about how atmospheric max payne was.

Max payne 2 coming soon though, looking forward to it.

Venom
06-06-2003, 17:25:11
Interestingly enough, I've not heard anything about Max Payne 2.

King_Ghidra@home
06-06-2003, 17:57:02
i may have jumped the gun when i said 'coming soon', but rockstar seem to be getting ready at least :p

http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne2/

Venom
06-06-2003, 18:13:29
You damn liar!

DaShi
06-06-2003, 19:37:26
Originally posted by MDA
Gah, I'd forgotten how many times I had to watch the beginning of that damn interrogation droid cutscene.

Cutting down, or pulling/pushing guards about to press the alarm was fun though.

I usually use a sentry to guard it while I kill the others. Though the rocket launcher guys are annoying.