PDA

View Full Version : "Pollute your ears" 3?

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-06-2003, 11:14:12
Seeing as every other bugger's at it, I might as well do another CD for the masses (if anyone's interested). It'll be one of the following.

1- Americana.

I've got loads of great obscure and semi-obscure American folk, rock and alt-country. This would be a pretty rootsy collection, heavy on acoustic tracks, and probably a lot more accessible than the other option...

2- Britain's hidden reverse.

This would be on Britain's foremost cult bands, heavily focussed on the World Serpent scene, so expect a mix of strange soundscapes, disturbing folk tracks and electronic horrors. I'll admit that most people find most of this stuff completely fucking horrible, but those who like it tend to love it and devote their lives to it. I certainly want to do this, though possibly not just yet.

Any interest?

Funkodrom
01-06-2003, 11:31:41
I'd certainly be interested in #2.

Eklektikos
01-06-2003, 12:13:58
I'd be interested in either

Scabrous Birdseed
01-06-2003, 16:40:02
I'd be interested in #1, but I'd take #2 as well just because it's being offered for free and I get to hone my reviewing skills.

zmama
01-06-2003, 16:53:13

:love:

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-06-2003, 17:00:15
Yes, I should have mentioned that the price of inclusion is a review. It'll just be in a thread- nothing fancy.

If it's 2, Scabby is probably banned. Unless he's genuinely interested- otherwise it would be like letting Ian Brady babysit my kids. These are artists I worship, damn you.

Scabrous Birdseed
01-06-2003, 18:03:15
Aww.

BigGameHunter
01-06-2003, 20:57:17
Both!

Mr. Bas
01-06-2003, 22:43:34
I'm interested. No preference, I'm not terribly familiar with either genre.

*End Is Forever*
01-06-2003, 23:18:07
I assume no-one wants to hear a collection of wonderful pop-punk and emo? :cute: :mad: :smoke:

Funkodrom
02-06-2003, 08:57:34
I would be interested in #2 as well but I don't think I'd like it as much as #1.

Guy
02-06-2003, 14:18:44
I'd be interested in either, just for exposure's sake, though I think #1 would be more my style.

Maybe a "Counter-LWP" could be born out of this? A bunch of folks taking turns making a compilation CD and distributing it for review. Would keep costs distributed and give people a chance to build themes rather than just trying to choose a song or two to represent. I would be interested in doing something like that. In fact, I probably will after Laz does his, just to reciprocate.

BigGameHunter
02-06-2003, 15:11:38
That's a good idea...let's change everything again. In fact, let's start a thread wherein each post changes the format of LWP completely.
;)

Actually, I do like your idea, seeing as how I've sent my CD over for distribution...

Scabrous Birdseed
02-06-2003, 15:16:36
It's already happening, man. Look at the "Big Huge Counterglow CD Swaparound" thread- so far I've sent a (rather basic) 60s Garage Rock CD to Debaser, recieved a 70s Soul one in return, and recieved a Pacific North West Rock CD from BGH which I've reviewed, copied and sent on to Funkodrom. I'm currently in the process of compiling an album of Swedish rock to send to BGH and whoever else registers interest.

Funkodrom
02-06-2003, 15:17:52
Yeah, this is just totally informal.

Guy
02-06-2003, 15:30:47
Yeah, I just now got around to reading the other thread. Sorry for brilliantly suggesting that we do what we're already doing.

Any interest in making it more formal and "turn based" or does everyone just want to keep it as is?

Funkodrom
02-06-2003, 15:33:13
I think it's quite good as it is.

Guy
02-06-2003, 15:41:22
Sounds good to me, I will get started on mine, then, and make it available to whomever would like it.

How many have I missed so far?

BigGameHunter
02-06-2003, 20:29:18
Several thousand. Didn't you get the catalog?

I can't wait to hear an album of Swedish rock. Can't help but supress the urge to use the word "oxymoron".
:)

paiktis22
04-06-2003, 20:57:39
I'm a bit partial to american acoustic guitars if they have the emm, protestant? for a lack of a better word, gospel vibe in them, like 16 Horsepower for example. kind of like the south gone horribly horribly wrong and psychotic inside a hazy funtamentalistic unescapable religious babble? very good.

SB I thought the CG exchange thread was about music CG posters made themselves? I better check it out again, I never have time to properly read a thread godam.

Immortal Wombat
04-06-2003, 21:14:07
#2 sounds much more interesting :cute: nothing like a good ol' Laz-style earpollution.

BigGameHunter
04-06-2003, 22:14:41
For only a quid more he'll stick his cock in your ear when he delivers the CD.

TAZ
06-06-2003, 18:47:04
Both sound good but I tend towards 1

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-06-2003, 21:55:43
OK- In a burst of perversity, I'm going to do the World Serpent one, just because I couldn't resist it.

The CD consists of 14 tracks, ranging from unreconstructed folk music to queasy electronic soundscapes. It's bookended by two tracks about bondage.

I'm convinced that most of you will hate it all, but this isn't a joke compilation. I am a huge fan of all artists featured. Be warned that this is probably not very accessible- for a start it features David Tibet's genuinely bizarre voice on two tracks.

Mike's getting a copy, and I'm going to burn 5 others (then I run out of CD's and envelopes). Might do a second run later, and if anyone gives a shit.

First 5 to PM me get the others. Price of admission is a review. If one person discovers one band they like, I'll call it a success.

Debaser
10-06-2003, 22:04:45
I'll get a copy off Mike. It sounds interesting.......

Foetus
10-06-2003, 23:12:54
If you're doing a second run, I'll take one, Alex.

Still have my address?

I've still to reciprocate for the last one.

Funkodrom
11-06-2003, 07:50:39
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Mike's getting a copy, and I'm going to burn 5 others (then I run out of CD's and envelopes). Might do a second run later, and if anyone gives a shit.

Cool thanks. If any of the Reading posters want one just bring me a CD and I'll copy you one (once I get it obviously).

Scabrous Birdseed
11-06-2003, 08:35:48
Since you're not gving me one anyway I think I best not bother. Do you want to be First British Instance for BGH's Swedish Rock Compo?

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-06-2003, 16:49:52
Right- that's the batch. MikeH, Immortal Wombat, BGH, MrBas, Eklektikos and PiGFoetus.

Scabby, yes I'm up for it. If you're genuinely interested in the World Serpent one then you can have a copy.

Guy
12-06-2003, 12:26:18
Scabrous,

I wouldn't mind a copy of the Swedish Rock compilation either, if you're agreeable. I don't think I've ever heard a true Swedish band before, would be interesting.

I've started putting my compilation together, tentatively themed "All American Noise", which will, obviously, be all American bands. Not necessarily obscure or rare stuff, but as broad a spectrum as I can put compile out of my collection, probably two or so songs from each band I decide to include.

Debaser
12-06-2003, 13:51:19
Originally posted by Guy
I don't think I've ever heard a true Swedish band before, would be interesting.

Not even ABBA?

Guy
12-06-2003, 16:07:56
If ABBA is a true representative of Swedish rock, then I rescind my interest in the compilation.

BigGameHunter
12-06-2003, 17:34:17
Damn you to Hell, you ABBA haters!
Hate the game, not the players!

King_Ghidra@home
12-06-2003, 18:19:50
:lol:

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-06-2003, 20:16:41
Pollute your ears 3

1- Miranda Sex Garden- "Peepshow"
2- Backworld- "Devil's plaything"
3- Nature and Organisation- "Wicker Man song"
4- Current 93- "Diana"
5- Coil- "Vanishing Point"
6- Cyclobe- "Teen Angel No. 9"
7- Coil- "The first five minutes after violent death"
8- Current 93- "Great Black Time 1"
9- Sol Invictus- "Did you see?"
10- Coil- "Who'll fall?"
11- Current 93- "They return to their earth"
12- Coil- "The dreamer is still asleep"
13- Anne Briggs- "Living by the water"
14- Miranda Sex Garden- "A fairytale about slavery"

Miranda Sex Garden- Founded by the fascinating Katherine Blake, who is a classical madrigal singer and also founded The Medieval Baebes. She also still works as a rather good stripper. Many songs have been written about BDSM, but to the best of my knowledge only Miranda Sex Garden have ever done a complete album on the subject- "Fairytales of slavery" from which both these tracks are drawn.

Backworld- A collective of musicians centred around the movie score composer Joseph Budenholzer, who sings and plays 12-string guitar. Budenholzer has also done several excellent collaborations with Lydia Lunch.

Nature and Organisation- Another loose collective, this time centred on multi-instrumentalist Michael Cashmore who also plays guitar for Current 93. This song is a cover of the famous track from "The Wicker Man" that formed Britt Ekland's seduction attempt. It's sung by Rose MacDowell, former lead singer of Strawberry Switchblade.

Current 93- Massively prolific collective formed around David Tibet. Over the last 20 years they've gone from scary industrial soundscapes to mildly deranged pastoral folk music, but the one constant is Tibet's unnerving voice. One of rock's greatest screamers, bellowers, growlers and gibberers, he tends to lapse into an unhinged and theatrical declaratory style that can go from irritating to satanic very quickly. His voice is a real problem for many- make your own minds up. Every C93 song has religious overtones, from every religion from Buddhim to Satanism. The 3 on this collection take in Greek mythology and paganism.

Coil- If you want my opinion, they are the most inventive and fascinating band in the world. Formed by John Balance (ex Psychic TV) and Peter Christopherson (ex Throbbing Gristle) every recording they make is treated as a ceremony. The 4 tracks here are mainly drawn from "Music to play in the dark"- an experiment in sleep deprivation- while "Vanishing Point" is one of the songs for the unreleased "Hellraiser" soundtrack (rejected by the film's producers for being too extreme).

Cyclobe- Aggressive soundscape artists. Formed by former members of Coil.

Sol Invictus- Moody, folk-influenced band fronted by Tony Wakeford. Manage to sound like they're covering songs that are thousands of years old.

Anne Briggs- Reclusive, wild and vagrant English folk singer of the 1960's. One of the most revered folk voices and a huge influence on many of the above bands.

CD's to go out over the next couple of days.

BigGameHunter
12-06-2003, 20:22:22
Oooh! A new lullaby album to play for the babies!

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-06-2003, 20:26:12
5 of those tracks would work very well at that. They aren't all violent.

BigGameHunter
12-06-2003, 20:29:48
I played reggae nearly constantly for son #1 and he's turned out to be a very happy kid.
Can't be bothered with #2 and he's pretty miserable so far.
Ooops...maybe this stuff will help.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-06-2003, 21:45:02
Foetus and Mr Bas- PM me your addresses and I'll post them out.

Funkodrom
13-06-2003, 08:04:41
Sounds good Laz!

Scabrous Birdseed
13-06-2003, 10:14:18
Guy: I think we're doing our humbler ones by chain mail- I can do you a copy if you want, but if you can wait until BGH has cast a copy of it it's probably cheaper and easier for him to forward it to other American recipients.

Guy
13-06-2003, 12:54:46
Works for me if it works for him.

BigGameHunter
13-06-2003, 14:59:04
Yeah...I'll send Guy a copy of the BGH Funtacular and the two songs I owe for the heart/head shpiel.
I may end up with a two song CD after all...oh well...those things are cheap these days.

BigGameHunter
13-06-2003, 15:00:21
Ooops...not enough coffee yet...Yes, I will also send a Swede Rock copy to Guy as well.
Man...it's going to be a looooong day I fear.

Guy
13-06-2003, 17:37:13
Thanks, BGH, very much appreciated.

Eklektikos
16-06-2003, 10:53:30
Got my copy in this morning's post and am just getting towards the end of my second listen to it. So far my reaction to pretty much all of it has been fairly positive and although I can well see what Laz means about David Tibet's voice, it's only on "They Return To Their Earth" that I find him really grating. I think I may have found one of the other more straightforwardly folky songs a bit annoying as well for some reason, but aside from that I'm liking the CD rather a lot.

I'll post a more detailed review in a few days once I've given the songs more of a chance to either grow on me or lose their initial lustre, whichever way it goes.

Funkodrom
17-06-2003, 07:47:01
Got my copy yesterday as well listening to it now.

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-06-2003, 16:10:48
Right- Bas and BGH, yours have been mailed. Sorry for the delay- I've been busy as hell. Foetus- you'll get yours as soon as I've worked out how to use my new writer.

The rest of you- what do you think?

Funkodrom
30-06-2003, 17:48:21
It's good, I've been away and didn't take it with me. Review next time I have time to waste at work.

BigGameHunter
30-06-2003, 20:26:56
Cool...can't wait to hear what lies at the heart of the Laz experience.

Scabrous Birdseed
30-06-2003, 20:38:18
Scrumpy.

Mr. Bas
30-06-2003, 22:30:13
No problem about the delay ofcourse... Although I'm getting pretty curious, the comments by the others suggest it's pretty good stuff.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2003, 16:06:44
They're just being polite. Wait for the reviews.

Funkodrom
11-07-2003, 09:00:49
Peepshow - Miranda Sex Garden

This is excellent. It reminds me of the Queen Adreena track I put on LWP3. Thundering drums with eerie female vocals over the top. Imagine if Evanescence lost all the nu-metal backing and replaced it with really interesting musically good stuff and had better singing. Er... not sure I've done a good comparison there but never mind.

Devil's Plaything - Backworld

Bands like Coldplay have made me thing that I hate moody acoustic music but it's not true and this proves it. Really moody, guitar and strings (I think maybe a lone cello) with a man and woman singing. The melody is really pretty, although it's sad. It feels a touch celtic/folky. It's really beautiful.

Wicker Man Song - Nature and Organisation

More acoustic + strings. This time just a girl singing. It's another really pretty song. I seem to remember this happening with the last pollute your ears CD. Laz put on lots of stuff he thought was disturbing and I just thought it was really nice. Maybe that's why I can't deal with 'normal' nice music because it doesn't have that dark edge I need.

Diana - Current 93

lol. I had forgotten this one came up next. This is pretty disturbing. I find it like one of those horror films that you watch on your own where at the start you are thinking, this isn't scary, and chuckling but by the end you think, oh shit, I've got to go to bed now and it's all dark outside.

Vanishing Point - Coil

This isn't a song, someone's tape recorded the sound effects of a game of a space based online shooter. Great.

Teen Angel No. 9 - Cyclobe

Sticking in the futuristic space vibe this is some kind of crazy noisecore that reminds me a little bit of Kid 606 but without the drum and bass undercurrent. I'm not sure I like this, but then again I don't think I'm really supposed to.

The First Five Minutes After Violent Death - Coil

Best song name ever? The first minute after death involves listening to screeching metal tearing, pan pipes and what sounds like it might be a didgeridoo. The metal fades out after a minute or so and the pan pipes are joined by a guitar. I guess this could well be typical European/Oriental/Aborigine cross over music, only I've never heard any of it before. No vocals again, just fucked up noises from unusual instruments. Good.

Great Black Time 1 - Current 93

It's church bells with subtle sounds underneath for 3 minutes. Not sure I really get this one.

Did you see? - Sol Invictus

Ah, back to the pretty stuff with female vocals. This has much more fucked up backing than the first three tracks though. It's kind of like a musical Darth Vader breathing at you. About half way through it changes to another Celtic style Acoustic song. The only instrument that seems to carry over the gap is the violin. Interesting. I like this one as well.

Who'll Fall - Coil

Ah! This one. Probably my favourite on the CD. The intro is great. Then it comes in with a guy talking about his friend who committed suicide. The atmosphere is like someone leaving a message on someone's answering machine in the Blade Runner film. Modern, dark. Sounds like it's probably raining outside, miserable. It's very simple but really, really dark. Can't write about this without it sounding inappropriately cheery.

They Return To Their Earth - Current 93

Hmmm... the second Current 93 track that doesn't really do anything for me. I can imagine someone playing this at a real ale festival and a couple of beardys loving it but mainly because they've already had 6 pints of Pigswill.

The Dreamer is Still Asleep - Coil

I imagine this must be the track after Who'll Fall on the Coil album because the very start is that great riff from the last song fading out. I'm actually going to see if I can buy some Coil as soon as I finish this review. I probably should have got some after the last PYE CD but I definitely will now. This is another great track. Nine and a half minutes of moody brilliance. It reminds me of some of the early Underworld stuff in attitude and the way the lyrics work. Slow, weird, moody, cool.

Anne Briggs - Living by the Water

Is this the girl from Nature and Organisation (track 3) the voice is very similar. Again, much more pretty than disturbing, and there's the same throbbing Celtic theme which kind of carries through a lot of the tracks on this CD. Nice but not one of my favourites.

A Fairy Tale About Slavery - Miranda Sex Garden

Similar feel to the last MSG track moody and rock. Another good one by them.

OK, Laz, maybe you can help me out here.
Been looking at Coil albums and there are a lot. Looks like the two tracks on this are actually from Musick to Play in the Dark Vol.1 and 2 (not consecutive tracks like I thought) There are also a bunch of other CDs of theirs available. Any advice would be appreciated.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-07-2003, 09:12:49
Is there a particular reason for the double spacing? Do you want me to fill up the space between the lines as a creative writing excercise?

Funkodrom
11-07-2003, 09:16:44
Hmmm... no, didn't notice it. I had return to forum set.

BigGameHunter
11-07-2003, 15:24:51
I hope this arrives soon...they may have a "closely inspect" warning on any mail from that address.

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-07-2003, 16:46:41
Coil's output is a bewildering slew of projects, offshoots an oddities. There is an excellent "Best of" double album called "The golden hare with a voice of silver" which was originally a Russia-only sampler, but Balance and Christopherson liked it so much that they re-released it. It's the best starting point.

Of their "official albums, my favourites are the first two- "Scatology" and "Horse Rotorvator". Many Coil fans will tell you that "Love's Secret Domain" is their best, but I think the dance tracks on it haven't aged well.

For projects, "Music to play in the dark Volume 1" is absolutely magnificent, and probably their most accessible album. Volume 2 has it's moments but falls a long way short. Their collected solstice/equinox EP's (the name escapes me) is excellent too.

Finally, of their oddities releases, "Unnatural History 2" is the best- it has the complete Hellraiser sessions.

Funkodrom
11-07-2003, 17:30:56
Great! Thanks. I'll have a look and see what of that I can find.

Really enjoyed the CD (again). :beer:

BigGameHunter
12-07-2003, 16:25:31
Got it yesterday...will give it a listen today and tomorrow I think.
Cool!

Mr. Bas
12-07-2003, 23:01:19
I still haven't received anything... But I'm getting more and more curious.

BigGameHunter
15-07-2003, 15:00:01
Well, I've given it one quick listen but marred the "flow" by constantly repeating "Devil's Plaything" which may be my new favorite song. I hope there is more like that out there, but as it is a "project" act, maybe its a one off sound?
Some of the tunes will get harsh treatment from me as I'm not a big fan of what I insightfully will call "creepy" stuff, be it movies, music, etc.
I know that's simplistic, but I'll try to make it through some of the tweakier bits and be as objective as possible.

Funkodrom
15-07-2003, 15:05:05
I really liked Devil's Plaything as well.

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-07-2003, 16:17:16
That's very typical of Backworld.

BigGameHunter
15-07-2003, 17:22:49
Goody...now to find some in this blasted musical wasteland.

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-07-2003, 16:16:02
Any thoughts from t'others?

BigGameHunter
25-07-2003, 19:27:54
Sorry...been super busy lately...I will try and get this review up this weekend...I even went out and bought a receiver!

Mr. Bas
26-07-2003, 08:47:39
I still haven't got it. :(

Foetus
29-07-2003, 22:34:29
I'd like to comment. Really, I would.

BigGameHunter
30-07-2003, 05:33:12
1) I like the quiet little whispery backtracking that begins this song. It then launches into a pretty basic and repetitive groove, and, to be honest, I can’t understand a word she’s saying. I have some pretty messed up hearing, however, so the lyrics may be perfectly decipherable by the normal ear Though she sings in an octave or two higher than I generally prefer, I like it, though I guess I was hoping for a little more variation. Reminds me a lot of Dead Can Dance/Cocteau Twins tunes. I guess it must have ambled on for a ways, as the end cut is a bit abrupt?

2) My new favorite song, no joke. I really enjoy this type of music. I’m a huge Leonard Cohen, Mark Lanegan, Johnny Cash, etc. fan, so the smoky deep baritone is very gripping. I am also very appreciative of clean, acoustic sounds--don’t know if that is a viola, violin, cello, or what, but with the simple accompaniment of the guitar and the dulcet tones of his duet partner, this guy has the whole package. Add to that the semi-creepy, religious, mythic topic and it’s a slam-dunk. I will definitely try to find more of this and purchase whatever I can get my hands on. I like the pseudo-upbeat message...kind of reminiscent of something you’d listen to when poised on the brink of fighting on or slitting your fucking throat. Bittersweet is my favorite flavor.

3) OK, once again, she sails a bit high on the notes for my tastes, but she’s good enough that I’m over it...very clean sound, though the trembling keyboard in the background is a bit annoying at times. It sounds like some sort of Shakespearean roundel to me. Now we get some twittery little bells at the end with a flute chiming in. It almost borders on a bit too cute for me, really. But I like reggae, so I really have no place to talk smack about any genres, now do I? Maybe a bit too close in tone and style to #1...could have benefited from being a bit farther along in the compilation. I like it, but I wouldn’t buy it.

4) Hmmm...we’re getting into the “Pan fucked my virgin bride when I took too much acid in the woods” portion of the compilation. Thank god that piano came in and saved me from the Blair Witch Project violin grating madness. Now, if this wasn’t set to music and this guy got up on stage at the local coffeehouse open mike night, we’d all snicker at his earnest gothic ramblings, wouldn’t we? Admit it.
Once again...thank God (or should I say Gaia?) for that piano! His voice doesn’t bug me too much, but I’m just trying to put this in some kind of context...when do we listen to this? Are there really people still hardcore into Wicca and all that in England? Would we have this on in the background of our Samhain mixer or what? Or is this a tongue in cheek homage to Diana? It’s losing me a bit...and the fuzzy dissonant guitars that come in don’t help matters a whole bunch. I’m trying to keep an open mind here. Nope...it just goes on too long for my tastes. But hey...it sure is different, isn’t it?

5) I’m scared, Mommy! Scary devil noises and undead gibbering going on in the beginning of this one...sounds like Satan falling down his basement stairs. This sounds like the soundtrack they play in the background at a haunted house exhibit around Halloween. Definitely reminiscent of death, and not a pleasant one at that.

6) Wet machine noises, with a little techno funky dance beat thrown in. Reminds me of someone’s practice session with the new synthesizer they got for getting good grades in art class their first year of college. There’s some bats or monkeys or something being sampled as well. Okey dokey...we are definitely out of BGH jukebox territory here.

7) My wife is giving me funny looks. I can’t explain what’s going on...so she leaves the room. Ok, this dissonant stuff is growing on me a little bit...and I like this one a lot better than the previous two, because it has that kick ass karate flute going on and the interwoven guitar, which is joined by some odd hissing. See, this has a bit of structure and story to it, so it appeals, even though it still has hints of chickens being tortured on a spaceship. OK, see...I would personally call this a song. I have to admit I am vocal centric, and only like a few things that don’t have some singing going on...for me its a big part of music, and I know that sounds silly, but that’s my opinion. Even bands I enjoy lose me when they do an instrumental. But that really wasn’t so bad, actually.

8) Church bells. Lots of them. The war is over! Huzzah! Now the bloody Yanks will finally leave!
Wait...there’s a calliope sneaking in from the background (had to check to make sure it wasn’t Teletubbies seeping in through the headphones...nope, definitely in the song). OK...this is also oddly fascinating to me...could we be bringing me out of the jangly rock closet? Well, I’m willing to try, and the nursery mobile bit at the very end was fairly clever and redemptive.

9) Ah...we have humans again now. Lilting, angelic humans with a Transformer super robot coming to life at the same time. For some reason, it reminds me of the sounds V’GER made in the first Star Trek movie. Come to think of it, a lot of this stuff sounds like soundtrack music for Lair of the White Worm or A Boy and His Dog type movies. But this one segues into a “song”, which I quite like; though the singer sounds a bit like a priest reciting a funeral. Who is this guy? He doesn’t strike me as someone who really should have found his way to the “singing” profession. He sounds slightly drunk to me. “The onward march of human swine...love is dead, she gave up the fight...all that’s left is to pray...to anyone you may.” That I like very much. I swear, Laz, sometimes I don’t even remotely comprehend how someone with your proclivities gets up and goes into a suit and tie job every day...very, very odd that you haven’t scratched someone’s eyes out. You must be the champion Chameleon. It’s very obvious that one of your parents was a heavy drinker, at the very least.

10) Ok...this is the bastard child of a Pink Floyd and Yaz tune. The voice sounds like it’s real, though--like this was an actual conversation at some point. Very depressing, really...and I have to say that the old “conversation on the phone” bit, though an understandable tool in the hands of a musician, is getting a tad bit old, IMO. Plus that “please hang up and dial again” tone is really fucking irritating. They should just have someone screaming or something. That would certainly get people’s attention. I can barely make out what this guy is saying...the occasional space ship hovering sound effect is pretty amusing, however.

11) Ah, blessed 3-chord song! Oh...now Emo is singing. Do you know who Emo is? He’s a bit of an odd comic over here. Very eclectic. This is he singing, I swear. But you know, it is kind of nice in a very odd, odd way. What kind of girls do you bag when you go to these concerts? Girls with lots of self inflicted scars, I’m guessing. “It’s a name that has no name”.... that kind of shit irritates me a bit. OK...really, is this guy serious about what he’s singing, or is he pulling my leg? Hmmm...peculiar. I really do like the music though. Unfortunately, it sounds a bit like some twee idiot I’d like to punch, but couldn’t, because we are all sitting around a campfire and the girls think he’s very sensitive and all that, and I’d be a brute to do it. I think he’s singing about Jesus, for some reason.

12) We have a beat...that’s good. The opening reminds me of a Roger Waters song, but I can’t remember which one...something about a Genie and of course, his dead father. From Amused to Death...I think it’s the “swooping” voice effect. These tunes are a lot more like poetry than the traditional song arrangement I‘m used to. I think I might appreciate them a bit more if I had lyrics to follow along with...but they are very haunting and beautiful if not a bit on the dreary side. I have a confession to make: I’m a basically positive, upbeat person and tend to gravitate to music that is also positive and upbeat, though I certainly enjoy a bout of introspective depression now and then. But I just can’t imagine listening to this sort of thing all the time. I think it would be cool to be on a train with your headphones on as you whizzed through the countryside or utilized it as the “disconnect effect” for a session of automatic writing. I might try that. It is very mentally subversive, if that makes any sense. This one grew on me as it went along. I might consider buying some of this, if for no other reason than to have it on hand when a particular type of ennui struck me.

13) Is this a mandolin or a dobro or something? I like it, whatever it is. This has a very “Renaissance Fair” vibe to it. I’ve always wanted to join the SCA (pretending you’re a knight and all that) but of course my wife thinks that is a pathetic attempt to grasp my disappearing childhood. The realities of life in that era aside, it is very fascinating to me. There was a real delineation between the weak and the strong then. Of course, it could just be that I’d like to sit around with a big leg of mutton to gnaw on. I like here voice a lot and the subject matter is intriguing, though I can’t quite make it out. I’d like to hear more by her.

14) I really like this singer’s voice. Reminds me of Bjork a bit, accompanied by tin whistles and military drums. I don’t know if this is a love ballad, but it sure sounds like one. She has a very pretty voice. Is this a whole movement, this “historic” sound? Now we’ve got some heavy guitars coming in, which makes a nice complement to her voice. There’s a lot of dead space at the end of the song, with some more of the nursery mobile music.

BigGameHunter
30-07-2003, 05:34:07
I’d be interested to know which section of the record store one would expect to find this type of music? Maybe there’s no equivalent here, or you have to go to some specialty shop or something? I can’t say it would be a new hobby of mine or anything, but I’m glad I’ve got this--not completely my cup of tea, but definitely a horizon expander. Thanks!

Immortal Wombat
30-07-2003, 18:37:41
1/ I couldn't really hear the intro, but as I was struggling to hear it, the drums came in quite brilliantly. All of this track is right, the vocals are lovely, the melody is great, and the drums are drums as drums were meant to be. The whispering is a great outro as well.

2/ This is kinda creepy, the "moss covered fields on cold marble stone" line sums up the entire atmosphere of this song. It's the end of an old abandoned garden of an empty Victorian country house, complete with mysterious birdbath and omnous wind. At first, it reminded me of "A Spaceman Came Travelling" by Chris DeBurgh, but it's much deeper and sadder. Definite yugen sound, I really like it.

3/ I agree with Mike. Completely. The jangling in the background almost gives me the sense that the whole thing is part of a ritualistic dance type of thing, but its too pretty to be disturbing.

4/ Unlike this, which is the musical equivalent of the kind of woodland clearings you just don't go near at night. I remember the Current 93 songs on the previous edition, they were the most creepy on there as well (after Coil). This could perhaps benefit from a bit of variety, the vocals start off with a massive impact and foreboding, and then just get annoying.

5/ Yeah, that is weird. It's like an electronic dawn chorus set in the trailing edge of a thunderstorm.

6/ Fly my pretties, FLY! The opening beat could have led to anything, but rabid monkey gibberings wouldn't have been my guess. I can't think of a time when I'd listen to this.

7/ I'm not sure I can quite express this track at all. It's a peculiar mix of sounds, but, and this is quite intentionally I imagine, I can't do as I usually try and do with instrumentals and just sit and let the music flow around me. This doesn't at all, it forces you to either listen hard, or ignore it completely. I'm afraid by about halfway through, I'd started ignoring it completely, it was almost being weird just for the sake of it, but not captivatingly enough.

8/ If there's one sound I love, it's a well placed church bell. Note the singular. Multiple church bells get on my nerves. er. yeah.

9/ The first two minutes are like a panning distance shot which zooms in for the rest of the song. The opening lines of vocal sound nothing like any other vocalist I've heard, because of their astounding mundaneness, it's like a bartender taking an order halfway through a sunrise on Stonehenge. It recovers well though, and the voice does turn into a kind of priest-type figure. The rest of the song aided this image. I found it almost prayer-like in itself, with the call and response lyrics and the lilting violin.

10/ Yes. Dark, gloomy and depressing. Its almost like a bit of film where the plot calls for a depressing phonecall and some mood music. The bits of film which you always start wishing were over soon because firstly they're really depressing; secondly, phone noises are the most annoying sounds ever - perhaps culminating in polyphonic mobile ringtones, but most certainly started with the bleeps on land lines; and thirdly, they're actually quite boring.

11/ Ah, a proper corn-harvest song. I don't dislike very much music, and I don't dislike this, but I always think that when I'm listening to it, and then go straight back to my rock, and never hear it again. The music is pretty enough, but these things generally need a context other than my sitting room.

12/ Definately music to play in the dark. This is dark and spaced out, and is the kind of track it's so easy to just listen to and get completely lost in, with the melody dancing lightly over the beat, then fading out into silence and sleep. Very cool.

13/ I like the singing and the lyrics and the atmosphere and yes even the music. Folky goodness. But not as instantly captivating as some of the others. Perhaps it lacks that dark edge that the earlier tracks have.

14/ This is a little unsettling, for much the same reasons 18 Dogs is. It's a sweet melody and lilting female voice, singing about - in this case - permanant captivity. Nice.

BigGameHunter
01-08-2003, 16:23:29
So Laz, any thoughts on our thoughts? That is the point of CG, right? Endless analyzation and witty retorts?
Come on--I compared one song to a chicken being tortured on a spaceship! That should have elicited something!

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-08-2003, 16:32:21
13- It's a bouzouki.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-08-2003, 16:34:59
Shit. I forgot to do a CD for Foetus.

I'll address that.

BigGameHunter
01-08-2003, 16:39:48
Is that a Greek tart or something?

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-08-2003, 19:17:42
No. It's the WW2 predecessor of the shoulder-mounted rocket launcher.

Mr. Bas
12-09-2003, 16:34:35
Bizarrely enough, my copy arrived today after a mere 2.5 months. God knows what those incompetent fuckers at the postal service did with it, the stamp confirms that it has indeed been sent on the 30th of june. Anyhow, I'll check it out and I'll write a review somewhere during the next few weeks.

Eklektikos
10-10-2003, 11:10:56
Bloody hell...

I went and saw Current 93 play live last night at the QEH, and they were absolutely amazing. Don't suppose you could give me some recommendations where their albums are concerned? There seem to be so many to choose from that I wouldn't know where to start.

And I will post a proper review of this comp soon, honest... :cute:

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-10-2003, 17:54:56
I certainly could.

Their music splits into the early soundscapes (very noisy and disturbing sound collages), and the later "Satanic folk" music which is more along the lines of genuine songs.

Of the soundscapes, the picks are "Dog's blood rising" and "In menstrual night".

Of the later stuff, the crucial albums are "Thunder Perfect Mind" and "All the pretty little horseys". Most C93 fans tend to pick these out as their favourites.

Depends what you're into, really. There are loads of others I think are really good, and there are a couple of excellent sampler albums too- "The menstrual years" and "A calling for vanished faces" which are great starting points. Happy listening.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-10-2003, 17:57:05
I would rate my favourite as "All the pretty little horseys" just ahead of "Thunder Perfect Mind".

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-10-2003, 18:48:36
Oh yes- please feel free to tell more about the concert.

Mr. Bas
21-01-2004, 10:40:58
Okay, here are the reviews. It looks like I'm not even the last one.

1. A surprisingly accessible start of the compilation. I can't really hear the intro, but that's probably just my crappy stereo. The rest of the song is actually quite good, she has a really nice voice (although she sings a bit high for my tastes), and the whole song has a nice energetic drive thanks to the drumming.

2. This is really good as well, albeit in a totally different way. A restrained mournful ballad that's really beautiful. I'd definitely listen to more.

3. Not bad either, although I don't like this as much as the songs surrounding it. It continues a bit in the vein of the previous track, but it doesn't quite reach that level. Still, this is rather enjoyable.

4. This is probably my favourite track of the compilation. It has a really haunting atmosphere, even though the musical background is fairly minimal. That menacing violin (I think) works brilliantly, as do the noisy guitar parts. I could have sworn that this was a woman singing the first couple of times I listened to it, but after checking, it apparently isn't. Oh well.

5. I don't mind this, it's probably even appropriately scary for a Hellraiser soundtrack, though it sounds more like Space Invaders to me. Still, despite this being moderately interesting listening, especially compared to some of the other soundscapes, I wouldn't really call this music.

6. Again, this is a slightly disturbing collage of noise and samples that I don't mind listening to, but I just don't quite get the point of stuff like this.

7. This sounds like more of the same, but then a bit more interesting. It's actually starting to sound like a song every now and then, and besides having a really cool title I can actually imagine myself listening to this voluntarily, unlike the previous or the next song. Still, not really my kind of music.

8. Blah. Annoying churchbells, some background noises, that's it. This kind of stuff is just not for me.

9. I already feared that this would yet be more of the same, but it actually turns into a real song this time. A really nice one as well, although it definitely helps that it comes after the previous four. Slightly repetitive, but nevertheless, I quite like this.

10. Really, I don't mind this at all. But to me, this is ultimately just an answering machine message with some accompanying noises. The message is disturbing, I'm sure, about some guy that jumped off a cliff and all that, but I just don't see what's so good or fascinating about something like this.

11. The same guy as song #4, right? Right. I loved that one, but in this song he's just plainly annoying, reciting incoherent New Age bollocks in a silly theatrical way. The music just seems to serve as a background for the rambling of the vocalist, so there's preciously little to like in this one. Let them return to their fucking earth and stay there.

12. This, on the other hand, is quite good. A nice slow, dreamy song, the only negative point I can name is that it seems to go on for way too long. Or probably I've just listened to too many one and two minute hardcore songs lately.

13. This song's quite beautiful as well. Laz said something about Sol Invictus sounding like they played songs of thousands of years old. Funnily enough, that's exactly the feeling I get from listening to this track. Really nice. Somehow, everytime I replay this, her voice is quite irritating during the first minute or so, but after that the singing becomes not just bearable, but really enjoyable as well. You have to get used to it I guess.

14. ....And a great song to end with. A great, sexy voice singing about eternal captivity it seems, what more can you want? The accompanying music is really good too. A nice end to an interesting compilation. Cheers Laz!

Scabrous Birdseed
21-01-2004, 11:50:26
Dammit, send them to Sean not to us! We'll get to see them soon enough.

Oh wait, this isn't LWP6. :o

Eklektikos
19-05-2004, 16:55:00
"Soon" being a relative term in my universe, here's my take on the compilation.

1) Most immediate track on the CD. Loved this from first listen and still love it now, although I don't listen to it as frequently as I did when I first heard it. The vocals are great - as is the whole arrangement - and the song ends just quickly enough to leave me wanting more. Brilliant.

2) Another early favourite. I like the combination of the folky pastoral guitar playing and rather ominous vocals and strings.

3) More pastoral folk but without the same forboding as the last track. I initially thought this one was rather bland, but over time it's grown on me significantly. The guitar reminds me a little of some of the more subdued rhythm parts on J Mascis' last solo album, not that that has any relevence to anything whatsoever.

4) Less pastoralism, more forboding this time around. Nicely creepy strings back a voice which grates while at the same time being utterly compelling, getting more and more intense as the song progresses. Another favourite.

5) Bye bye folk, hello electro-acoustic soundscaping! Like most music of this type I was unimpressed with this piece to begin with, but now enjoy it just as much as the rest of the compilation - which is pretty decent praise. Not my favourite track, but it leaves me wanting to explore this area of music more fully at some point in the future.

6) This track lacks the subtlety of the two which bookend it, and as such does not really stand up as an individual piece of work in my opinion. As a component of the greater whole of this disc, though, it fits quite nicely.

7) In a very similar vein to #5, albeit with more recognisable instrument sounds than that piece. My feelings toward it are accordingly similar.

8) Church bells and fairground noises a-go-go, arranged in a remarkably coherent fashion. I like it, although I'm not sure I could ever explain why...

9) This starts off sounding slightly as if it might be another electro-acoustic track, despite the presence of strings and mournful, wordless female vocals, then morphs into what is clearly another morsel of extreme folk terror. Very bleak and miserable it is too - most enjoyably so. This, more than any other track so far, has grown on me since my first listen - originally I found it extremely dull.

10) I quite liked this at first, but since then it has become the album's most frequent victim of the track skip button. It doesn't hold my interest well enough for me to want to actively listen to it, although it's fine as background music.

11) Inexplicably unnerving pastoral folk. When I first heard this I found it insufferably twee, mostly due to the theatrical nature of Tibet's voice. Since then I've come to love this song and all of its odd whimsical beauty, and just wish I could work out which album it's on.

12) This song holds up better than the previous Coil track, but still falls foul of track skip on a regular basis. I simply don't find this level of repetition for this length of time to be particularly stimulating. Were it shorter I would probably enjoy it quite a bit more.

13) Nice enough, but doesn't quite do it for me in the way that so many of the other folk tracks on here do. Possibly this would appeal more as part of a full album of her work, but as a stand-alone piece I'm not overly impressed.

14) More ominous folkiness, this time with haunting, seductive seductive female vocals and perfectly timed guitar intervention. Another of my absolute favourites.

If Laz was hoping to create new fans of this music then he's certainly succeeded with me. As a result of this compilation I've so far bought all but one of Miranda Sex Garden's albums, one by Backworld, one by Nature ~& Organisation as well as numerous Current 93 releases. I wish I could have written a proper review of the C93 concert but at the time I was only familiar with the material on this disc and Dog's Blood Rising, so didn't feel that I could offer much in the way of interesting commentry beyond "Wow, that was very atmospheric and intense". Hearing the title track of said album performed as an acoustic folk track was certainly interesting, though.

Lazarus and the Gimp
19-05-2004, 19:57:55
"They return to their earth" was an unreleased track from the sessions for "Thunder Perfect Mind". It was subsequently released on "Emblemz- The Menstrual Years".

Eklektikos
19-05-2004, 21:19:23
Then I'm very grateful for its inclusion on the CD, since I couldn't get hold of a copy of that for love nor money when I tried last year.