PDA

View Full Version : What are you ginger stepchildren?

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-05-2003, 16:13:03
Ginger stepchild = something you love, but can't hel feeling embarrassed about.

So in musical terms, what are your ginger stepchildren?

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-05-2003, 16:14:38
The thread title should, of course, read "What are your ginger stepchildren?".

Instead, it's one comma away from being the title of a prog-rock album.

Debaser
30-05-2003, 16:19:21
That new Girls Aloud song (I believe it's called No Good Advice).

Funkodrom
30-05-2003, 16:25:03
I dunno anymore. I used to be embarassed about liking stuff like Iron Maiden but I don't really care about stuff like that so much now.

Oh, except one of The Coral's songs I'm starting to not hate. That's quite embarassing.

Eklektikos
30-05-2003, 16:30:53
Tatu's album. Both the English and Russian versions, no less :o

BigGameHunter
30-05-2003, 19:39:45
Back in the day it was Cat Stevens, Abba, etc.

Hmmm...nowadays? Eminem.

And I believe the US term would be something like "red-headed stepchild".

paiktis22
30-05-2003, 22:02:12
Some silly french pop and some times some mindless mass consumption dance or hip hop dance flavour of the week. Apart from that I'm comfortable with what I like. Actually I'm not so sure I'd hide the other things I mentioned either.

*End Is Forever*
30-05-2003, 22:06:19
"Let Go" by Avril Lavigne.

paiktis22
30-05-2003, 22:23:22
Oh and a certain Skylas. Skylas, skylades and skyladiko (whose translation would be something like dog musician, dog people and dog music respectively) are a kind of "Greek" music I can't help but hating with all the power of my soul. Here are some lyrical samples to give you a first hint: "We are both married, please go away" or "Stay pregnant with me, I'm very trustworthy" or"If you leave I'll become desperate, I'll kill myslef and I'll die, die, DIEEEE" (told in a crying voice with lots of crescendos)" or "Phainomenon are not the pyramids, the volcanoes, the earthquakes, the hurricanes, the Phainomenon is me who I still love you".
You'd be tottaly justified to think these are entertainment show quotes. And of course they are to make fun of. The problem is that some people take them seriously. They are "party" songs and necessairily involve heftly doses of kitch, bouzouki, belly dancing on tables and very often old, old provencial minds. The invasion of the villagers if you will. Problem is they had taken cities by storm since that's exactly what the villagers have done themselves (which are great apart from those who try to show off in a grottesque way their newly acquired riches from selling large pieces of land in their villages and moving to big cities). The whole philosophy of the "skyladiko" song reeks of vomit inducing conservatism, kitch and a souvlaki burried in very smelly spices. Basically it's oriental music gone "modern" which really gave it a very disgusting character. Such music you can also find (a bit more heavy) in Turkey, Egypt the Balkans in general, the Middle east etc. But it's not the charming, "ethnic", oriental, spicy genre. It's just a load of heavily flavoured shit.
Thankfully that fashion has somehow receded now but it still shows its ugly face quite often. It is quite popular unfortunately. It is the tyranny of the musical scene here. Not that its opposite, the "artful music making" category of songs is always so grand... Most of the time it's just as interesting as a mediocre 14 year old child's poerty, which goes for the music too. And kitch and pseudo-intellectual crap does not really constitute a choice for my disturbed mind. There are plenty of other Greek genres which I really like, but those two are the most "commonly found".

In any case, my ginger stepchild would be one or two of such "skylades" singers which I find sympathetic. The disgust and shame is only in my mind though and to those like minded musically as me, the vast majority unfortunately considers said singers huge and great and all that. Incidently my liking them has an unwarranted effect of me instantly "fitting in" in certain circles, untill they get to know me better.

paiktis22
30-05-2003, 22:46:15
Skyladika are not to be confused with the "Rebetika" either. A very old and excellent genre involving the bouzouki too (which is found in many genres). Rebetika are in a way the "grandparents" of the Skyladika, unfortunately.

Mr. Bas
30-05-2003, 22:49:09
I like Justin Timberlake's latest single, rock your body. And I can't get myself to dislike Robbie Williams either, even though some particular songs are shit.

King_Ghidra@home
31-05-2003, 09:19:37
yeah i'm a closet justin timberlake fan too, although i've been a bti more assertive about that feeling of late

erm...let's see...well i don't see why i should be embarassed about it, but people seem determined to make me feel embarassed about liking the current coldplay album

btw laz, you forgot to mention yours...

Provost Harrison
31-05-2003, 10:21:39
My ginger stepchild? I don't consider myself to have any, I consider all of my albums to be classics of their time...oh, except Travis ( :o ) and many would say Sleeper too...call me sad but I still have quite a soft spot for them, especially the lead singer :)

Provost Harrison
31-05-2003, 10:23:24
Originally posted by Mr. Bas
I like Justin Timberlake's latest single, rock your body. And I can't get myself to dislike Robbie Williams either, even though some particular songs are shit.

As I said to Johan in the car yesterday, I used to be indifferent to Robbie Williams - but over time, I have grown to despise him...especially now he has become so self-indulgant and believes his own hype...

Lazarus and the Gimp
31-05-2003, 12:59:04
Originally posted by King_Ghidra@home

btw laz, you forgot to mention yours...

I think my Hawkwind albums are common knowledge. Fabulous band, and not in the remotest danger of being considered cool.

BigGameHunter
31-05-2003, 17:22:25
Ha ha! Hawkwind?! Aren't they like the official Dungeons and Dragons players soundtrack artists or something?

Oh...I forgot to mention...I have a weakness for old Country and Western (Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson) and a pseudo Christian Country group called Nickel Creek, who feature an angelic singer and fiddles and mandolins...I really like the "alt-stringed" instruments, including cellos, dobros, etc.

As for Justin Timberlake....heee hee hee...man....you'd have to buy a round of drinks in my peer group with an admission like that!

Provost Harrison
01-06-2003, 00:18:06
Fortunately I don't consider myself to have any really, really red-headed little twats in my collection, just some 'strawberry blondes' I suppose :)

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-06-2003, 08:08:35
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Ha ha! Hawkwind?! Aren't they like the official Dungeons and Dragons players soundtrack artists or something?

On one level they are very sci-fi. Lyrics by Michael Moorcock and all that.

Then again, they were the ancestor of Motorhead and still play the most fantastically dirty biker rock. They also have a tradition of stupendously huge-breasted Earth-mother-type naked dancers, which is a bonus.

Anyway, Johnny Cash is as cool as they come.

Scabrous Birdseed
01-06-2003, 08:14:28
I've got a love for really, really cheesy 1960s pop, of the Neil Sedaka variety. Bascially anything they'd play on an oldies station but not also on a "serious" 60s music station. :)

Re: Hawkwind- I used to tease Laz about this but then they played "Silver Machine" on, um, Top Gear (:o) and I donwloaded it and really liked it. Also an uncut cover CD eatured Mudhoney doing a cover of one of their songs which was also good. I might have to get into Hawkwind...

Funkodrom
01-06-2003, 10:02:17
The funny thing about Silver Machine is that Hawkwind kind of pottered along for ages not really getting that much attention then Lemmy sings Silver Machine and they have a huge hit.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-06-2003, 11:01:29
They were always a live band- never greatly bothered about their studio output. That means that some of their studio recordings are pretty flabby.

Live, they're very different. I first got into them about 1990, when I went to review a concert. I was anticipating a good'n'bitchy slagging session, but instead my jaw hit the floor. They were just devastating. Really heavy, and absolutely no frills- we're talking songs so stripped down that they're more like tribal chants, but coupled to brutal biker rock and a brain-frying light show. If they play in your area, check them out.

Guy
02-06-2003, 14:29:35
Willie Nelson and Paul Simon (post-Garfunkel).

My parents were both big folk music fans and I grew up with a constant soundtrack of Mamas & Papas, Simon & Garfunkel, Gordon Lightfoot, and others. Most of it sends spasms through my spine when I hear it now, but there are a few songs that really stuck with me, and these two performers in general I must admit that I actually like and will even sometimes listen to by choice.

There, I've said it.

Funkodrom
02-06-2003, 14:31:34
First album I ever bought was Graceland by Paul Simon (when I was about 9 or 10) I still really like it now but I don't think it's embarassing. Haven't really heard anything he's done since though.

Debaser
02-06-2003, 14:53:37
Guy, I don't think any of those artists you've mentioned are remotely embarassing (though I can't claim to have heard much Gordon Lightfoot). When I was young I listened (almost exclusively) to Dire Straits, which is far worse.

BigGameHunter
02-06-2003, 14:58:00
Hush your mouth! Dire Straits is an excellent band, especially their eponymous album and other earlier stuff...I've bought one of Knopfler's solo albums and enjoy it well enough.

Hmmm....seems most of us have at least one compatriot in our closet cases...except maybe Timberlake and Abba.

Debaser
02-06-2003, 15:11:13
*whispers* I still quite like Dire Straits.

BigGameHunter
02-06-2003, 15:13:35
Daring to be uncool is the apex of coolness, young Jedi.

Funkodrom
02-06-2003, 15:19:28
Unless you do it with the intention of becoming cool.

Guy
02-06-2003, 15:24:43
Debaser, I was picking the cream of the crop, after Gordon Lightfoot things went downhill fast (watch the new movie A Mighty Wind, from the same minds that brought us Spinal Tap, to understand of what I speak) and in my mind these top few are forever guilty by association. And regardless of the couple of decent songs that the Mamas & Papas put out, they are irrefutably embarassing.

Dire Straits have quite a few good tunes.

BGH, if uncool is cool, then I am the king of hip.

Funkodrom
02-06-2003, 15:26:19
Is that film already out there? :bash:

Guy
02-06-2003, 15:32:58
It opened somewhere around the middle of last month.

Guy
02-06-2003, 15:34:39
"Last month" being April, by the way. How the hell did it get to be June already?!

Funkodrom
02-06-2003, 15:42:00
Damn, wonder when it's out here. Maybe I've missed it.

Was it good?

Guy
02-06-2003, 15:53:08
Yes.

Lazarus and the Gimp
02-06-2003, 17:04:10
Originally posted by Funkodrom
First album I ever bought was Graceland by Paul Simon (when I was about 9 or 10) I still really like it now but I don't think it's embarassing. Haven't really heard anything he's done since though.

Funnily enough, the first album I bought was an Art Garfunkel solo album.

Scabrous Birdseed
02-06-2003, 17:30:29
None of the ones mentioned so far have been really, really embarassing. Come on, I know there's got to be someone out there who still treasures their Yes and/or Osmonds albums!

Lazarus and the Gimp
02-06-2003, 17:31:54
I think I've still got a Spandau Ballet single hanging around in a box.

Debaser
02-06-2003, 17:41:18
I quite like the Carpenters.

Provost Harrison
02-06-2003, 18:10:17
*End Is Forever* has married a woman with a whole ginger family :D

BigGameHunter
02-06-2003, 20:12:54
Uh...I have a box full of tapes representing the dregs of the mid-80's sound...Judas Priest, Men Without Hats, Asia, The Cars (pretty good, really), J. Geils Band...you name it.

Lazarus and the Gimp
02-06-2003, 21:46:06
Asia? My, that's a flaming redhead.

BigGameHunter
02-06-2003, 22:52:35
Oh, I don't know--the triumphant synthesizer featured on "Alpha" is quite timeless, don't you think?

Funkodrom
03-06-2003, 15:14:23
J Geils band and Judas Priest, I have an album of each of theres and I like them both! I didn't know I was supposed to be embarassed though. :nervous:

BigGameHunter
03-06-2003, 20:04:04
I guess this thread has established that you pretty much have to have John Denver, Herb Alpert, Tom Jones and Ratt in your collection to qualify as poor taste.

Good to know...*da da da da dada da da da...FREEZE FRAME!!!*

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-06-2003, 21:30:25
J Geils band have their cool credentials. Lester Bangs once "performed" at one of their concerts. They miked up his typewriter and he wrote a review of the concert as they played.

Debaser
03-06-2003, 22:09:52
Was the review printed anywhere near to the angel in the centrefold?

Funkodrom
04-06-2003, 08:26:18
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
J Geils band have their cool credentials. Lester Bangs once "performed" at one of their concerts. They miked up his typewriter and he wrote a review of the concert as they played.

And Judas Priest must be good because Snapcase liked the song I put on The Original Listen Without Predjudice (tm)

Immortal Wombat
04-06-2003, 21:28:47
Wheatus.

Funkodrom
05-06-2003, 08:01:03
We have a winner. ;)

Debaser
05-06-2003, 09:51:58
We have a Loser.

Provost Harrison
05-06-2003, 23:00:38
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Wheatus.

I remember Stew recommending me to download that Teenage Dirtbag song, and I just remember the profound irritation it caused me. And that was the highpoint of their career :lol: