PDA

View Full Version : New Sonic Undermind songs!

Funkodrom
28-05-2003, 09:03:41
Hey, our new recordings are finished and you can download them.

Go to the website and get them!

http://www.sonicundermind.co.uk

There are three new songs.

Helix (http://www.loudmedicine.net/SUM/music/helix.mp3) which is brand spanking new and I think is the best thing we've ever done.

Rock Hat (http://www.loudmedicine.net/SUM/music/rockhat.mp3) which anyone who's been to our gigs will have heard before.

Magic Helmet (http://www.loudmedicine.net/SUM/music/helmet.mp3). A proper studio recording of Magic Helmet. The most rock thing we've ever recorded.

Would be interested to hear what you think of them as always. :beer:

Scabrous Birdseed
28-05-2003, 09:05:44
You might wanna fix that Magic Helmet link.

Funkodrom
28-05-2003, 09:06:50
Yeah, they were all broken. Should be Ok now?

Scabrous Birdseed
28-05-2003, 09:11:41
All three in fact!

Scabrous Birdseed
28-05-2003, 09:12:05
X-post.

Scabrous Birdseed
28-05-2003, 09:24:22
Right, I've listened through all three of them, and I still think you sound much better live. :coolgrin:

Is "Helix" that new musical direction we've been hearing so much about? ;) It's the best of the three!

Funkodrom
28-05-2003, 09:31:30
That's good I think. Most bands sound better live unless they are really loose and can only get tight with good production.

I think our music is improving as we get more used to each other as a band and because we're writing with Pete he's getting his own input which adds something a bit different into the mix as well.

Scabrous Birdseed
28-05-2003, 09:39:25
Maybe you should concentrate on getting your set really tight and then record demos with a couple of less takes than these. ;) Remember your priorities: spontaneity, feel, then decent technical work.

Funkodrom
28-05-2003, 09:50:09
Most of the parts were only done with a few takes, it all depends. One of my guitar tracks I ran through in one take. Another one I kept ballsing up again and again. That sometimes happens live but you just have to carry on then. Any fuck ups are really obvious in a recording that people listen to again and again.

I know what you mean about the live thing. We felt that the Carpet Burns recording was a bit too sterile so it's something we talked about before we started recording these. It's actually quite hard to get the feel of a live performance into a studio take (for me anyway, and I think the others as well). When you are playing live you've got the adrenaline pumping and the rest of the band to bounce off. It's a lot harder to get that in the studio when you've just got the music in headphones or the monitors or whatever. I think we'll get better at it as we do more recordings but I am pretty happy with these.

Scabrous Birdseed
28-05-2003, 09:55:44
Have you tried recording stuff "live in the studio" ie. all the instruments playing at the same time?

Funkodrom
28-05-2003, 10:09:00
Yes... we have tried that. Our early recordings were basically done like that, although not on such good equipment.

I think that's technically a lot harder than recording everything seperately. Because everything's playing in the same room the mics pic up a lot of sound from other instruments/vocals etc. It makes it a lot harder to mix properly.

The other problem with that is that it's very hard to get a really good take. I don't know why but as soon as something is recording people cock up stuff they have never ever got wrong in their lives before.

Oh and we've also doubled a lot of the guitar tracks, things like the twin solos on Magic Helmet are over at least 2 rhythm tracks, so even recorded live those would have to be added later.

I think a kind of as live recording might help us but it'd take longer, require everyone to be together and be more expensive because we'd need to be hiring rehearsal space to record it in. It's amazing how much time it takes. Setting up everything to record it live would take you at least a couple of hours. Probably more as you have to keep just recording stuff to see how it's sounding as you go.

I think these tracks have a better live/rocky feel to them than Carpet Burns anyway. I think protein's captured that better than the guy at the studio we went to, and this was only his first proper production job with his new studio.

Scabrous Birdseed
28-05-2003, 10:19:57
Oh yeah, definitely. :beer:

Funkodrom
28-05-2003, 10:28:00
I found the whole recording thing really interesting. I learnt a lot whilst we were doing it.

protein
28-05-2003, 11:41:25
me too!

I think we should re-record Carpet Burns and the newest song as soon as possible.

We couldn't record everything live with my equipment I'm afraid, we'd need a sound booth for the drums and another for the guitar amps and some excellent mics and a really good engineer.
A lot of the stuff you hear that sounds like a band in a room was laboured over to make it sound that way in a top studio. I'd quite like to get in to a decent broadcast quality studio and see what they can do about recording us. If all goes to plan, this will be happening soon and paid for by someone else.

protein
28-05-2003, 11:41:55
I mean the newest new song not Helix.

Funkodrom
28-05-2003, 11:43:42
I don't really see the point of re-recording Carpet Burns personally. I'd rather record different songs, definitely the new one.

Oh, I got a text from Pete yesterday about that. He's been writing lyrics and wants to call the new one Painless.

protein
28-05-2003, 11:50:01
I like the ba ba ba ba bit at the beginning. It was so funny the way Nills took take Pete aside and tell him to stop it.

Funkodrom
28-05-2003, 11:50:19
:lol:

King_Ghidra@home
28-05-2003, 22:00:39
Rock hat sounds cool, one of my favourite songs, but i have to agree with scabby, it was better live :p

But Helix...well first time i've heard it...dunno...sounds kind of like the streets meets linkin park, not really my vibe at all

i want to hear a studio version of 100 years

Funkodrom
28-05-2003, 22:21:40
Hundred years would be really tough to do a recording of because it's such a live song.

BigGameHunter
28-05-2003, 22:59:23
I might have to wait until DSL to DL any songs...but I'm interested to hear what you're doing.

It just better not suck is all.

protein
29-05-2003, 09:01:52
Originally posted by King_Ghidra@home
Rock hat sounds cool, one of my favourite songs, but i have to agree with scabby, it was better live :p

But Helix...well first time i've heard it...dunno...sounds kind of like the streets meets linkin park, not really my vibe at all

i want to hear a studio version of 100 years

linkin park?

Surely that's just bitterness?

linkin park?

ugh. I'm going to kill myself now. :cry:

Funkodrom
29-05-2003, 09:23:43
I don't really see the linkin park thing myself in the music, maybe it's just the distorted spoken vocals thing? They kind of have that but they do it in more of a rapping way than what Pete's doing.

Musically it's not that similar I don't think. Wish we could sell as many million albums as them though.

Funkodrom
29-05-2003, 09:56:26
Oh and BGH, go on, download one. Only take quarter of an hour or so on dial up, you can do it whilst you are reading CG. :cute:

King_Ghidra
29-05-2003, 11:03:14
it's the famous quiet loud style and the pseudo rapping that made me think linkin park - one of my cowies has the new album (which is shite) and it really reminded me of that style, next time we're in the same house together i'll tell you the particular bits i'm talking about

and no it's not bitterness :lol:

Funkodrom
29-05-2003, 11:11:59
If someone could pretend they think it sounds like G'n'R to wind protein up a bit more that would be funny. ;)

protein
29-05-2003, 16:51:40
We sound like a shit "nu metal" band and in particular we sound like the "shite" album. :cry:

paiktis22
29-05-2003, 17:37:05
You can't tell me you haven't been influenced heavily from Iron Maiden!

paiktis22
29-05-2003, 17:37:26
(Rock Hat, Helix...)

Sean
29-05-2003, 18:03:02
I like Rock Hat and Magic Helmet.

Helix is the only SUM track I don’t like listening to. In my mind’s eye I see loads of be-hoodied fourteen year-olds listening to this. As I haven’t heard the album K_G is comapring it to I can’t comment there, but even so.

Funkodrom
29-05-2003, 18:22:38
Originally posted by protein
We sound like a shit "nu metal" band and in particular we sound like the "shite" album. :cry:

Different people have different tastes and different people notice different similarities between different things. *shrug* Shouldn't let it bother you. I think it's good to get honest feedback about what we're doing but at the end of the day we're making music that we like, whatever anyone else thinks about it.

Helix is getting a mixed reaction. Interesting. I think it's the most weird song we've done so maybe that's why.

As for Iron Maiden... our lead guitarist certainly has been influenced by them but definitely not the whole band.

protein
29-05-2003, 18:50:17
I won't let it bother me. I'm just a sensitive arty type. Fair play about Helix, if you don't like it you don't like it. You should all hear our newest song! That is mixture of indie, goth, dance, and metal rock.

zmama
29-05-2003, 18:56:12
I think Helix is great...but weird R us

And great job producing!

BigGameHunter
29-05-2003, 19:15:41
Hey-- I feel your pain. I was in two bands at about the same time. The first was called "Act of God" and we were a very rough, Pixiesesque sounding band that featured a female drummer, reggae influence bass and a 12 string acoustic/electric guitar. It was loads of fun and I loved the sound we made, but we just kind of dissapated and I was "recruited" by another group of phenomenal musicians, all classically/jazz trained, featuring a guitarist that played like an angel on acid. Simply amazing musicians, but so TIGHT they couldn't riff to save their lives. It was all abut scales and runs and stops and starts and outros and intros and solos--we sounded like a cross between Pearl Jam, The Doors, Fishbone and Whitesnake. Very studio sounding and sort of "big hair" metal.
The first one had so much soul and emotion and fun, the second so much talent and restraint and form.
I loved the first and it just oozed out of the songs, very visceral. The second was one that was reliable and functional and very "impressive" in a stand offish way, but people just didn't seem to "get" our sound.
Some of the comparisons I got in "Herb's Buddhafield" (band #2) were a bit painful...

The easy solution to further metal comparisons is to put a fiddle and a mandolin in your lineup.

zmama
29-05-2003, 19:18:17
bagpipes....need more bagpipes ;)

BigGameHunter
29-05-2003, 19:29:08
Electric bagpipes and a frontman that's a dead ringer for Lamar from "Revenge of the Nerds".

Scabrous Birdseed
29-05-2003, 20:05:52
Why stop there? Full-size marching band consisting entirely of transexuals!

protein
29-05-2003, 20:09:40
Our frontman looks like Edward Norton crossed with Woody Allen apparently.

I was in a band with a crazy French fiddle player. We were great. We had a manager and interest but then the singer decided that we rocked too much and left to do pathetic happy acoustic songs. He had an amazing voice too, sounded like Jeff Buckley. Bastard.

protein
29-05-2003, 20:10:34
Transexual satanic nuns would be good.

Scabrous Birdseed
29-05-2003, 20:11:56
Our frontman looks like Edward Norton crossed with Woody Allen apparently.

(c) 2002 Scabrous Birdseed Descriptions, Inc.

protein
29-05-2003, 20:16:49
I was going to do that but I couldn't find the quick enough. :)

Funkodrom
30-05-2003, 09:25:00
I won't let it bother me. I'm just a sensitive arty type. Fair play about Helix, if you don't like it you don't like it. You should all hear our newest song! That is mixture of indie, goth, dance, and metal rock.

No wonder we can't describe what we sound like.

Actually, posters at Counterglow can you think of any current bands/labels that you'd associate Sonic Undermind with? We need some information about that but we're not sure.

BigGameHunter
30-05-2003, 14:47:20
I'm hearing a lot of the theme from "Barney" running through your music.

paiktis22
30-05-2003, 21:56:44
The lead guitar was what I had in mind when I mentioned Iron maiden.

I liked Helix a lot.

You also have an inescapable, distinct british accent :D Which is good.

King_Ghidra@home
31-05-2003, 09:22:49
well the older stuff is still kind of comedy metal

'rock hat' and 'on your knees' i find quite art-rock (like joy division or something)

'100 years' i find quite stoner rock

make of all that what you will :clueless: