PDA

View Full Version : Any Europa Universalis players here?

Colon
23-05-2003, 23:32:22
I've been playing this game (the first edition) for about a year and a half and it still fascinates me. I think EU has one of the best game balances I've ever seen. I can quietly develop my country without bothering that an AI country will gobble up the rest of the world.
I'm playing as Sweden right now, steadily building my economy and snatching a couple of provinces from Denmark.
Meanwhile France was making major inroads into Germany and Italy, annexing half a dozen micro-nations. Until it got it ass kicked big-time by nearly all of its neighbours. After years of constant warfare it's now basically back to its borders before its conquest campaign, having also lost several provinces in France itself because of the Dutch. Seeing all this unfolding is great.

Greg W
24-05-2003, 03:52:44
I have been tempted to get it for a long time, though I haven't yet...

maroule@home
24-05-2003, 07:35:44
funny you mention that, it's saturday morning and I'm about to start my first EUII campaign for a long time
maybe I'll play Sweden (I was thinking of the Turks first)...

The Shaker
24-05-2003, 11:01:10
Good game, may reengage my plan for world french dominance again.
It lets you do all sorts of crazy unrealistic stuff like that.

maroule@home
24-05-2003, 11:15:20
tell me about it, as the brits I beat the US insurection... really crazy....

Colon
24-05-2003, 11:35:03
Originally posted by maroule@home
funny you mention that, it's saturday morning and I'm about to start my first EUII campaign for a long time
maybe I'll play Sweden (I was thinking of the Turks first)...

If I were you I'd play Sweden, it's far more interesting and less predictable than Turkey. You can build a strong position because of your isolation and yet you got a neighbour that could crush you if you don't watch out.

Colon
24-05-2003, 13:29:18
Game update: the 'mighty' Russian empire next to me has just gone through a civil war and fell apart. Good opportinity to snatch a couple more provinces away. :coolgrin:

BoltyBoy
24-05-2003, 22:45:44
I like playing as really obscure countries like Tibet or the Incas. It sucks and is rediculously hard but not impossible. Of course you'll never catch up technologically with Europe but you can make decent headway. quite a challenge.

Resource Consumer
27-05-2003, 11:53:04
I really enjoy EUII. I usually play as Russia although sometimes as the Ottoman's or even Castille or Portugal.

Best game for a long time and SMAC and Civ do not bear comparison with it.

maroule
27-05-2003, 12:44:26
I played the incas the other day
exceedingly boring

but sweden is fun

Scabrous Birdseed
27-05-2003, 13:44:46
Originally posted by maroule
sweden is fun

:love:

Sean
27-05-2003, 14:01:45
I remember a friend lent me his copy of EU II so we could play online, but I don’t think I ever installed it.

maroule
27-05-2003, 14:04:29
Sweden had a shitload of good generals around 1620-1650, but very little good admirals (yet). Since my expantion is mainly maritime (colonisation of Antilles) and I have to fight off wards of pirates, this sucks.

Beta1
27-05-2003, 15:18:59
I might have to pick this one up when I finish Vice City.

My brain will need a stretch after all those loud suits and fast cars!

maroule
27-05-2003, 15:22:49
you're going to love it, Beta, it's your kind of game

Greg W
28-05-2003, 04:34:31
Grabbed a version off a friend. Bastid is the type that throws manuals and boxes out after he buys and reads em to save on space, so I got stuck with the tutorials as my only form of learning. Started the grand Campaign as the English. Consequently got my arse kicked, cos I had ANFI what the heck I was doing.

Since then I started the Fantasia game as the Irish. Having a heck of a lot more fun here, and acyually learning about the game somewhat. Mind you, I still haven't tried out too many battles, other than against natives, and they don't seem to count. Also, from what I read on boards and what I saw in my brief introduction to the grand campaign, they are not even vaguelly similar in style. Slowly learning my way through it though, and even the fantasia setting is fun, even if there's very little interraction with anyone or anything for ages.

maroule
28-05-2003, 07:31:35
don't stay stuck too long with it, as you said, too little interaction, so you won't learn the tricks there. Once you master the fundamentals, start with an easy setting, not aggressive, and with a country that's fairly well protected, or powerful (england is harder to play for a starter). Go for Sweden, Russia, or Holland if you want to learn about colonisation, France early 1700 is also easy

diplomatic model : more tricky, especially the bad boy ratio (the more expantion you undertake, the more the other powers turn against you)
economic model : pay attention to the center of trades, and the commercial capacity of provinces (their products), avoid borrowing, upgrade to governors asap, automate your traders, there's no use doing it yourself
the military aspect is fairly simplistic (the role of fortifications is grossly overstated IMO making canons a very important commodity), generals are key, and cavalery give important land bonus, watch your moral.

that's it, enjoy...

Greg W
28-05-2003, 10:53:32
By France 1700, I presume that you're talking the Age of Enlightenment campaign selection?

maroule
28-05-2003, 11:09:39
can't remember the specific starting dates, but that should be it ('les lumières' indeed start around the beginning of the century)

You'll have loads to do with France, it's both a continental power (pushing eastwards, towards germany and italy) and a maritime one (a good number of colons for a catholic country), so it needs to play both (which historically explains its failure to hold its colonies in Canada and India, since England was a pure maritime player unconcerned by continental supremacy)

Greg W
28-05-2003, 11:47:13
(a good number of colons for a catholic country)
I can only assume that that lost something in the translation. :eek:

Then again, with Catholic priests and all... :nervous:

And yeah, that one starts in 1700.

maroule
28-05-2003, 12:20:08
I'm legally binded to make subtle reference on sodomy, whichever subject I discuss

Greg W
28-05-2003, 13:24:28
Heh, I loaded up France 1700. I am thinking that perhaps that's not the best choice for a beginner, as they have about a million colonies (colons I presume). I think to start with I need something a bit more quiet. France and the war by itself I think would be allright, but the colonies scare me when combined with the war. :nervous:

Tried another quick version as Japan, however they seem too isolated again.

When you suggest Sweden, Russia or Netherlands, are you still talking the 1700 game, or some other game/mission/whatever?

FYI in case it matters, we're talking EU II here, not the original.

maroule
28-05-2003, 13:32:58
Sweden : go for mercantilist period, it will be easier
Netherlands : can't remember their independence date :cute: but they start off strongly
Russia : the sooner the bigger you'll get, once you get rid of the golden horde and other minor enemies + not much trouble with colonies

Resource Consumer
28-05-2003, 14:02:50
I would recommend Moscovy (later Russia) as a good one for a novice player.

All (?) you have to do is keep in with Poland/Lithuania and watch Sweden. Beat up on Novgorad, Suzdal and Ryazan early. You then bound the Golden Horde who are always fighting revolts. You then get a chance to pick up some territories for free while building and getting your badboy down.

Eventually, you'll end up in a war with the Golden Horde and you should be able to deal with them pretty well. Take out Astrakhan and choose your time to hit Sibir. Once you are through Sibir then go into colonisation mode and head East. All of the land between Siberia and China is yours if you can go fast enough. So, 1 explorer and a shitload of cavaltry should open it all up for you. If you can do this fast then you can reverse colonise west to east. If not you can go the slow way east to west.

Build decent fortifications to the east to pretect against China and then you should be in a good position to take California before the Spanish.:D

Beta1
28-05-2003, 16:08:42
This sounds very cool. Maybe I'll get it this weekend.

Beta1
28-05-2003, 16:12:57
Is it this one?

http://www.game.co.uk/sites/1/images/prod1/primary/medium/7350003640028.jpg

Or is that the first game?

Beta1
28-05-2003, 16:16:35
aw fuck it I cant get the image to work

It called Europa Universalis 1492-1792 and is 14.99 at game.

So is that the first one or the second one?

Scabrous Birdseed
28-05-2003, 16:20:24
Do you want my copy? This game is shit, I can mail it to you if you want.

Scabrous Birdseed
28-05-2003, 16:21:48
The manual is in Swedish but I'm sure you can manage.

Scabrous Birdseed
28-05-2003, 16:22:52
Actually come to think of it the whole game might be in Swedish. I'm sure there's a patch though.

Beta1
28-05-2003, 17:39:27
I think for 15 quid I might just get a version in english. It sounds like the sort of thing where a manual might help.

Greg W
29-05-2003, 05:37:31
Looks like the first one, Beta.

Thanks for all the tips guys, will give them a try... :)

Colon
29-05-2003, 10:32:23
Originally posted by Resource Consumer

Once you are through Sibir then go into colonisation mode and head East. All of the land between Siberia and China is yours if you can go fast enough. So, 1 explorer and a shitload of cavaltry should open it all up for you. If you can do this fast then you can reverse colonise west to east. If not you can go the slow way east to west.

Just one note, make sure you have a port by that time otherwise you can't colonise. (I stumbled on that one in my first game as Russia - at least in EU1 Russia doesn't have a port in the beginning)

Greg W
29-05-2003, 12:44:41
Oh man, tried the whole war against Sweden thing. At first, things went great. Laid seige to two territories, and won them pretty easily. So I left the beseigers in place, racked up an army of 50k or so, and headed up north/west. Went great, conquered about 5 provinces or so with very little fuss. Wish I knew how to actually start claiming them as my own and using their production and so on. Damn I'd love a manual, have to kick Pete's arse next time I see him.

Anyways, things going pretty well, and I even push into what's still northern Sweden these days. And then it hit me. Napoleon's bane. Winter. :eek:

I had been noticing a lot of troop losses, and put it down to seiges. Not having any real experience otherwise, I thought it was a logical assumption. Nah-ah. Damned winter ripped me up pretty badly a few years there, where my concentration was kinda half on them, and kinda half on my southern borders which kept on revolting.

So, churn out more troops like only Russia can (66k / year). Thing is, by the time they arrive to help out the beseigers, they've taken enough losses to attrition that I'm going backwards. And then Mecklenberg (allies of Sweden) show up in my lands, running round being a royal pain in the arse.

Moral to the story. I think. Don't keep more than one beseiging force going at any one time (I had 4 Swedish provinces beseiged at the time), cos it's just too danged hard to keep troop numbers up through winter. And figure out how the heck to subjugate a conquered province.

One odd thing though. I was playing round with diplomacy, trying to figure out how to make Peace with Sweden. Kept telling me that I couldn't do it until 1713 or thereabouts. Thing was it was 1717. Not sure what's going on there.

Oh, and yeah, thanks Colon, I noticed in a previous game (my Fantasia game) that with a port you can colonise other coastal land masses.

Resource Consumer
29-05-2003, 13:54:18
Beta1 - that's the first one - the second one is better (and Scabby is a tasteless oik:D)

Colon - true. I used to play the modded version of the first game that gave Russia Ingermanland from 1492. In the 2nd game Russia has Ingermanland and needs to keep it. (Astrakhan does not count, an inland lake and not subject to international treaties I presume - that is how the oil disputes are being worked at the moment;))

Greg - the only problem with taking on Sweden is that you really have to keep your Catholics happy. OK, you have Karelia initially that is Catholic but that is managemable. You can end up with a shed load of revolt problems with orthadox, moslem and catholics in your ranks and a war that goes on a bit too long.

And yes, those hi tech small nations are really bastards.:)

Resource Consumer
29-05-2003, 13:56:01
Greg - you may be able to colonise but you may not get any colonists. Orthadox gets no bonus unlike Catholic so you really do need the port unless you want to make some very harsh choices with your domestic polic settings.

Greg W
30-05-2003, 03:49:57
Tell me about it. My religion is Russian Orthadox. So the plain Orthodox peoples in the south are continually revolting (cue joke about "the peasants are revolting").

What I may have to read up about is how to improve your chances of getting missionaries to convert peoples from other religions. I was getting anywhere from 30% or so, down to 2% when I checked it out, out of curiosity as much as anything. Must see if there's a way to improve that chance.

Sweden I didn't find to be a huge problem after the initial breakthrough. As I said, the big problem was the winter phase, where an beseiging force of 13 or so would drop down to 6 by the end of winter. Ouch. And yeah, I made sure that that was from winter, and not from the province being unable to support that many people.

Might have to invade Turkey (which just split up due to a major uprising). Least it won't be so damned cold down there. :D

Greg W
30-05-2003, 03:51:42
Oh yeah, and I am getting rather sick of the constant "your stability drops 2 points" events. Goddamn it, I just got my stability up to three to reduce revolt, and then this happens. :bash:

Beta1
30-05-2003, 08:56:52
Found it virgin, piccadilly last night.
still only 14.99!
Have to try it out over the weekend

Resource Consumer
30-05-2003, 09:48:48
Originally posted by Greg W
Oh yeah, and I am getting rather sick of the constant "your stability drops 2 points" events. Goddamn it, I just got my stability up to three to reduce revolt, and then this happens. :bash:

I know the feeling. You work hard to get the stab up.....

As far as I know there is no real way to improve conversion chances. It is a function of size and difference from your own religion, I think. Generally, I find it is not worth it unless you have one region (e.g., Karelia) which is forcing you to mess with your tolerance sliders more than you would like. Wholesale conversion is just not worthwhile. Consider also, the other (2 stage) strategy of conquering, force converting as part of the peace and then declaring war again later. You only have to deal with the 3% revolt risk nationalism then.

Beta1 - scary - I was in a pub just round the corner....

BoltyBoy
30-05-2003, 14:12:12
Ah those damn stability events are the part I dislike mose about the game. I'd go so far as to say it was that which ultimatly lead to my moving on to other games. It almost felt like the game was checking if you were too stable and bringing in some event purposefully to make your life hard. Sucks!

Greg - Did you know there's a slider thing that lets you adjust your country's sympathy to other religions. Being unsympathetic to other religions vastly increases the chances of revolts in your provinces of that religion. generally you should be able to adjust the slider so as to accomodate 2-3 religions quite comfortably. The default setting tends to favour just one religion i recall. Sorry can't remember how you bring the slider up - think you click on your "religion" shield.

This way you don't really need to waste resources on missionarys.

Greg W
30-05-2003, 14:25:23
Yeah, I did see that, though to be honest, I hadn't played with it much to see what effect it had. Really should I suppose... :D

Beta1
31-05-2003, 11:36:49
Have to say I'm not overly impressed so far.

The interface is pretty poor.

It reminds me of gangsters, theres a game in there somewhere but I havnt managed to find it yet...

Greg W
01-06-2003, 13:25:13
Played a game as Austria. Well, started one in the 1700 game. I think that's a better choice for a starting country, as while you're in a war with France and Spain and Allies to start with, there's nobody major on your doorstep to deal with, and you can get a few minor countries without too many major problems. While simultaneously forging peace with France and Spain of course to save yourself for Turkey or whatever comes next. In my case, Venice, and perhaps Modena and the Papal states. :D

What did surprise me some is that Spain is now a vassal of France in my game, so no trying to play one friendly to get land off the other. :eek:

Only early days yet, so a long way to go, but things look promising to date. Vive la Austria! :D

BoltyBoy
01-06-2003, 21:42:37
Vive la Austria!

You only playin Austria cos it sounds pretty close to Australia!

Resource Consumer
02-06-2003, 11:03:06
He tried to play Australia and couldn't spell it...

Greg W
02-06-2003, 11:14:27
Mmmm, a wise guy, huh? :bash:

Colon
02-06-2003, 20:20:38
Anybody wants to try playing EU1 multiplayer? Sort of like to play a (mostly) development game with a human being.

Resource Consumer
03-06-2003, 09:15:31
I could be, but not just at the moment. I am having difficulty getting on a computer at home.

maroule
03-06-2003, 09:19:11
yeah, we know who's sitting on it

Colon
04-06-2003, 02:12:37
Originally posted by Resource Consumer
I could be, but not just at the moment. I am having difficulty getting on a computer at home.

Cool. let me know if you can play.

Colon
04-06-2003, 02:13:02
yeah, we know who's sitting on it

Who?

maroule
04-06-2003, 08:15:01
for someone who spends 10 hours a day, everyday, on this forum, you're a fairly oblivious choco duck

ever hear of the eastern atomic au pair?

Beta1
04-06-2003, 08:58:23
Suddenly reminds me of a blondie song.

ooooo your hair is beautiful, oooooooo tonight....

Atomic au pair......

Definately a sign of a severe Vice City over-dose.

Why does RC need an au-pair anyway. He's old enough to look after himself.

maroule
04-06-2003, 09:01:10
that's not at himself he wants to look

Colon
04-06-2003, 09:16:23
for someone who spends 10 hours a day, everyday, on this forum, you're a fairly oblivious choco duck

ever hear of the eastern atomic au pair?

Doesn't she like EU?

maroule
04-06-2003, 10:32:14
she'd like a EU passport

Resource Consumer
05-06-2003, 11:05:38
She will soon have one ;)

Sean
05-06-2003, 11:11:51
Who’s donating the kidney, then?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
07-06-2003, 11:35:00
I've played EU2 quite a lot several months ago, preferably as Aragon or Castile in the grand campaign. What I found a bit unsatisfying was the micromanaging of military campaigns and exploration/colonies, while the diplo options were good but a bit lacking.

I'm looking forward to Crusader Kings. I like the time period more, and the expanded diplomacy is more my thing.

But as you mention it.... I might start a game as Austria in the rand campaign now. Oddly enough, I never played that one through...

Chairman Yang
11-06-2003, 01:16:12
I've only played Hearts of Iron so far, would anyone who played both HoI and EU2 recommend buying EU2 as well?

maroule
11-06-2003, 07:55:59
the consensus is that EU2 is a better, more balanced, less irritating game,
1) because the period is easier to simulate
2) because it built up and refined EU1 (a game that had a huge following and got a lot of feedback from players that developers were able to integrate - not so, yet, with HoI)

Resource Consumer
11-06-2003, 11:33:08
Hate to say it but maroule is right.

EUII is a much much better game.