PDA

View Full Version : Dogtown and Z-Boys

Debaser
23-05-2003, 12:30:26
I don't know if anybody here will be too interested in this, but Dogtown and Z-Boys is a documentary about a team of surfers and skateboarders who burst out of California in the 70's and went on to revolutionise the world of skateboarding, before getting famous, getting rich, then fucking up in a variety of humerous and entertaining ways. The film won loads of awards, including Best Director and the Audience Award and the Sundance film festival. It's beautifully made, with extensive interviews with all the surviving members of the team as well as fans like Henry Rollins and that guy from fugazi (Ian Mcsomething?)

Even if you're not into skating or surfing you can't help but enjoy the 90minutes of practically solid rarely seen before super-8 film of cool 70's Californian surfer dudes (and especially the foxy chicks), just messing about, wasting time, and generally having a laugh.

The soundtrack is a superb collection of all the best 60s and 70s rock bands, including Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Jimi, Iggy and the Stooges, Bowie etc...

This is a great film.

You can watch some clips and read a bit of history here:
http://www.sonyclassics.com/dogtown/

Funkodrom
23-05-2003, 12:39:07
Sounds pretty cool.

King_Ghidra
23-05-2003, 15:19:30
i heard a bit about this a while back- sounds very cool, i'd love to see it

Debaser you don't mention how you suddenly came to be talking about it

i.e. if you just bought it on video or dvd i want to borrow it

Debaser
23-05-2003, 15:27:30
Yep, got the video.

I'll bring it round to Mikes (along with American Psyco) before TCTC tonight if you're lucky.

King_Ghidra
23-05-2003, 15:29:28
cool

i tried to respond to your pm but your pm box was full you numbnut

so now i have to give you the short answer to your question which is

no

Funkodrom
23-05-2003, 15:29:39
Cool. I want to watch it as well.

Debaser
23-05-2003, 15:34:48
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
i tried to respond to your pm but your pm box was full you numbnut
so now i have to give you the short answer to your question which is no

Fair enough, if I'm coming round before TCTC it's not a problem anyway.

King_Ghidra
27-05-2003, 08:13:07
Debaser very kindly lent me this and i watched it last night. One of the most amazing things about this film is the way that all of the things that brought the end result of the story about, i.e. the dogtown boys revolutionizing and reviving skating, came about becauase of various events intertwining. So it isn't simply a story about a group of very talented kids, but also acknowledges the influence of Stecyk, the journalist, who with his articles and photography portrayed the lifestyle of the z boys. It also acknowledges the influence of the jeff ho surf shop and the founders who pushed the boys and encouraged them and the influence of the surfing style that the boys brought to skating. Finally and most remarkably it acknowledges the influence of the drought which sent the z boys into the dried up pools (the forerunners of the skate bowls) and led to the creation of vert skating.

As such the film effectively tracks what has now become a model for all subsequent 'movements'. No one person is ever responsible for things like punk rock, grunge, or any other lifestyle trend, they are always a combination of various factors, various people and various events, and for every tony alva who appears to symbolize a sport, there is a jeff ho who encourages him, a Stecyk who promotes his lifestyle, and a drought which pushes him in a new direction.

The thing that occurred to me as the film was drawing to a close was that, as i remember it at least, skating 'went away' again in the eighties and then somehow came back into fashion in the late nineties at some point, and of course now is stronger than ever. But what were the circumstances under which it lost popularity and regained it? Presumably when the grunge scene, the return of bands with a kind of alternative appeal returned, so dd skating. I guess there's another film in there...

Funkodrom
27-05-2003, 08:51:14
Cool, I think I'll have to watch this at some point.

maroule
27-05-2003, 09:54:16
television is a strong primal urge among gays