PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I impress even myself...

Darkstar
22-05-2003, 23:28:25
Well, it's true. ;)

Yesterday, I sat down at work, and started to learn yet another new language... C# (version 2003.NET). By the end of the day, I was doing query and matches into multiple databases. Pretty decent, since I figured it would take me a week, or maybe two.

They've changed the name of everything, again. What, are they looking to sell a few sets of $1000 books?

Eh. Anyways, while so far I like the 2003 release C#, I'm very unhappy with the Oracle data access set. I know Oracle and Microsoft fight, and purposely try to make the other not work/corrupt your data, but this latest set of not playing well together takes the top prize. Bleah. It's returning only the first 3 characters in Varchar2 columns, with the rest of the column padded with 0's, if the value is the same as the record before it in a cursor. Bleah! Now you have to track the value of the previous record, regardless of what you are doing, if you want to display or use or whatever a column whose text MAY be the same as the record before it. This majorly sucks. Strike that. It 5 STAR GENERALLY sucks!

Things like that really piss me off, and make me want to move all our databases to MySQL or some other guy that plays nicer with people. ;)

Sir Penguin
23-05-2003, 00:43:22
Yesterday I sat down after class, and started to learn yet another new language... Perl (version 5). By the end of the day, I had written a script that would put incrementing numbers at the front of each of the lines from STDIN. I decided that was decent enough, since my SENG Perl assignment wasn't due for a week, or maybe two.

Python is quite similar at the basic levels, but they've changed the name of everything. Fortunately, I bought Programming Perl v 2 a while ago for $30.

SP

Deacon
23-05-2003, 06:20:49
MySQL gets all the press. Postgres is supposedly "more relational". I don't use either one. :)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-05-2003, 21:39:21
What do you use, Deacon?

I've been looking at some of the features and stuff re:Firebird. Yeah, they've got that stupid name change dispute thing going on, but I like the idea of stored procedures. Very useful for a project I have in mind.

Deacon
27-05-2003, 21:51:59
"I don't use databases" is what I meant to say. I had a semester of SQL and that was it. :)

Darkstar
27-05-2003, 22:48:00
You use flat files then?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-05-2003, 23:57:28
Sticky notes and a pencil?

Sir Penguin
28-05-2003, 00:07:34
Textfiles are more secure. :)

SP

Deacon
28-05-2003, 06:09:15
I don't have enough data to put into a database. :)

Asher
28-05-2003, 06:09:27
I'm using Access (JET 4.0) + Managed C++ right now with Version 2002 -- it's surprisingly flexible, fast, and easy.

Darkstar
28-05-2003, 22:23:24
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
Textfiles are more secure. :)

SP

Actually, SP, they can be. Depending on physical and digital accessibility. ;)

Asher, Access is actually a nice, simple database, and suitable for a wide range of use. Very good as a personal database that needs to manage a small order of rows of data in individual tables.

It falls down when you need to have more then 100K rows in a table, or you need to have multiple users accessing and updating the database at once, etc. etc. etc.

I'd expect it works well with .NET, but that's because MS would want their stuff to work well together, and easily, so people don't go out and find something else. ;)

Sir Penguin
28-05-2003, 22:42:10
"Actually, SP, they can be. Depending on physical and digital accessibility."

I know, that's why I said it. :) I think text files are great.

SP

Darkstar
28-05-2003, 23:04:28
:hmm:
You are a big time Kazaa and eDonkey guy, aren't you?

Sir Penguin
29-05-2003, 00:33:59
Not really. Why?

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
29-05-2003, 19:11:44
Access is nice? Maybe for storing data, but the forms part of it blows. Give me a nice, easy to manage and code web-based interface any day. DHTML can even be used to dynically generate new record lines without having to reload the page. And you can do away with all the crap Access forces you to put up with.

But if you're going to go that far, might as well get an easier to work with database too :)

Darkstar
29-05-2003, 21:23:45
Qaj, I never do my forms IN Access... VB, VC, ASP, console... I really only use Access as a data store. In that sense, it's a nice, little DB. No having to install anything extra to make it work, as JET is part of the Windows, and is already out there to be used. Between having to choose to set up a SQL Server database on a user's machine, or just use Access as the storage DB for a system that is going to run locally on their box, and they are the only person that will ever bother with it... well, you should be able to figure out what makes more sense in that case.

Flat files can be very nice and quick to use, as well. Or, a good Oracle or SQL Server DB, if you need 100 users in your data at all times, reading and updating like mad.

Just depends on your requirements.

Sir Penguin
29-05-2003, 22:08:32
Apparently, OpenOffice can be used as an Access-like database interface for DB servers (including MySQL, PostgreSQL, mSQL, probably MS SQL server, etc.). Unfortunately, it requires you to set up ODBC or JDBC, and know all the proper settings and connection syntax and stuff, so I never actually managed to get it working. Of course, it being OSS, it's missing some features that are in Access (like reports, for example), and they say they're working on them.

SP

Asher
29-05-2003, 22:31:16
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Access is nice? Maybe for storing data, but the forms part of it blows. Give me a nice, easy to manage and code web-based interface any day. DHTML can even be used to dynically generate new record lines without having to reload the page. And you can do away with all the crap Access forces you to put up with.

But if you're going to go that far, might as well get an easier to work with database too :)
Give me VC++ over crappy Web Forms anyday.

I don't use the Access client for anything, just as a datastore. It's awesome for that.

VC++ even has wizards that generate all the code you need to access it, all you need to do is use ExecuteQuery("SELECT..."), and it returns all the results into a resultset, which you use functions like NextResult(), FirstResult(), LastResult(), PrevResult(), etc. to navigate them, then access the fields via attributes (m_fieldname).

easy shit!

BigGameHunter
30-05-2003, 15:14:37
I know Spanish and a little bit of Japanese and Korean!

MDA
30-05-2003, 15:38:47
A little Spanish, a little Latin (all but useless), and a few choice words of Chinese and Arabic.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
30-05-2003, 18:41:01
If the County wasn't having budget problems, I might try to requisition a copy of VC++. Sounds quite nice :)

Darkstar
30-05-2003, 22:56:52
It seems to be from what I've seen of it. I'll know more as I get further into my porting project. ;)