PDA

View Full Version : WinXP and "System Files"

Immortal Wombat
19-05-2003, 21:23:59
By default, Windows Explorer under XP hides everything. I used to have to click to agree that I wanted to browse the C drive and promise not to touch anything. Anyway, I got it to display all the hidden stuff properly, but I left the system files hidden for tidiness more than anything else, and I don't ever really ened to alter them.

However... I did a quick check up on how may hard disk was coping with the sudden influx of files that broadband brings, and I found I was missing about 2GB. Which I thought was a bit odd.

So I went hunting for it, and it turns out to be 2.25 GB within a folder named "System Volume Information" which I thought was quite amusing. Two and one quarter gb of information about what's on the other sixteen. :rolleyes:

So anyway, do I need this lot, or can I send it the way of the dodo and turn off whatever option it is that accumulates this junk?

:confused:

zmama
19-05-2003, 23:55:14
It's your file system. If you delete it you'll be the next one back here posting under "computer moron does it again"

Asher
20-05-2003, 00:08:28
1) Turn off System Restore
2) Turn off the system indexing service for faster searches

zmama
20-05-2003, 00:55:32
:o
Yeah, I was stupid...didn't realize that was where it was stored.

If you want to keep system restore you can make the percentage of the drive it takes smaller.
Start->Programs->Accessories->SystemTools->System Restore->System restore settings

That's also where you go to turn it off.

Immortal Wombat
20-05-2003, 10:44:53
:beer: Thanks

Funkodrom
20-05-2003, 10:52:20
I had to use the restore thing yesterday. (not on XP) I'm glad I've got it.

Bob
20-05-2003, 12:06:27
The restore feature is excellent, a big pro. used it 3 or 4 times