PDA

View Full Version : BGH's CD, Reviews part one

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2003, 17:23:12
Part two will arrive later, I thought I'd have time to do them all now but I've got to rush.

Built to Spill – Randy Described Eternity: You’re nearly as good at misjudging what description appeals to people as I am! When I read your paper I thought: it’s gonna be Post-Rock isn’t it, aaargh. Acid Jazz? Pink Floyd? Alternative? Imagine my surprise, then, when it turns out to be pretty straightforward quirky American rock with a good amount of bite to it, like a psyched-up version of The Flaming Lips… Much more Spiritualized than Mogwai. Were it not for the silly lyrics this would probably be the best song of theirs on here.

Mark Lanegan – Undertow: I’m starting to really regret not swiping that ML promo that came into my newspaper office last year. I’m not sure I like the sentiment but the guitar part is exceptional and I like the way he varies the melody. Good voice too.

Wipers – Return of the Rat: Sure, I recognise the Ramones and the Dolls and maybe the MC5 in here, plus lots of artists they seem to have influenced of course. But it draws just as much from the mid-60s generation on PNW bands… Everything from the guitars to the production and even some of the vocals are very much in the vein of The Sonics, Wailers et al. I guess Washington State has you beat again, eh? Er, anyway, good stuff.

Nirvana – Negative Creep: Oooh, I do like late-80s alt. rock. Not sure about some of the guitar settings and stuff (too Grunge ;)), but this is good stuff- I know Kurt tries to hide it, but he’s got a disturbing knack for making fun pop.

Posies – Throwaway: This I don’t like at all. It’s like they’ve tried to put in all the crap clichés of indie pop in one awful package- cutesiness, weak “spiritual” moments, derivative and samey guitar sounds and horrible, chirpy, “warm” production. Mainstream when mainstream means “we’re just taking crap bits of other bands’ music”.

Fastbacks – Just Say: Okay, that pop-punk start is such a turnoff that I barely want to listen to the rest of the song. Which is a pity since ignoring that bloody instrumentation it’s actually quite good in a girl group way.

Built to Spill – I Wouldn’t Hurt a Fly: Right, this is the least good of the BTS tracks I think. There seems to be less of an effort put into the basic proto-work on the song, more than once it falls into some sort of middling, slightly dull alt-rock mire. Also strangely unstructured, with seemingly random parts stuck together without consequence. That last (better) part should have been made into a song of its own…

Fountains of Wayne – Denise: Cringeworthy lyrics and sometimes cringeworthy instruments too, but it certainly has its moments. I’m a sucker for handclaps…

Beulah – If We Can Land A Man On The Moon: Okay, I really liked this originally but now it annoys me- it’s a sub-Oasis Beatles takeoff, nicely produced but only because they nicked lots of bits off Sgt. Peppers. Oh well- it’s nice enough if you accept the fact that they’re Merseyside copyists, the melodies are good, and let’s face it, what bands didn’t start off as some sort of tribute?

Lazarus and the Gimp
19-05-2003, 17:25:47
Mark Lanegan's albums are works of genius.

BigGameHunter
19-05-2003, 17:32:36
Hmmmm...maybe I should send this to Laz instead? Seems to be suffering under your inscrutable eye, SB.
:)

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2003, 20:51:37
I think I liked the second half more. Still, I mean, I said I liked 5 out of the eight first tracks, and I didn't really hate the other three either. Er, maybe that didn't come through properly, I have problems with that occasionally. Plus I was really tired when I wrote this...

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2003, 21:04:48
I was a bit too harsh on the Posies there... sorry. I'm actually considering buying the BTS album.

*End Is Forever*
19-05-2003, 21:10:24
Today I made you a mixtape
And decorated it with lots of stars
It had all my favourite songs

There was Jawbreaker and Armchair Martian
Built To Spill and the Descendents
Hell I even put one of ours on it...

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2003, 21:51:07
I feel so bad now for being nasty I'm gonna rush-review the rest of the tracks in a guilt-struck, overpositive way.

Wait half an hour or so.

Funkodrom
19-05-2003, 21:59:56
He liked the nirvana track! :eek:

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2003, 22:03:15
What? I like Nirvana.

Funkodrom
19-05-2003, 22:05:24
But... they are the absolute ultimate band for the quiet loud dynamic that you hate.

Funkodrom
19-05-2003, 22:05:54
I'm all confused. What happened to the alternative rock hating Scabby. :confused:

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2003, 22:10:11
Originally posted by Funkodrom
But... they are the absolute ultimate band for the quiet loud dynamic that you hate.

Not this song. ;)

I like Nirvana 'cause they're very good at writing songs. Their infulence on lessers is a pity, but can't be helped.

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2003, 22:38:50
Er, I ended up doing them honestly. Sorry. :o

Meg Hentges – This Kind of Love: this song has one of the coolest opening lines ever, and I totally love the sexual/gender ambiguity. Still a bit too mid-nineties for me, but it’s certainly someone I wouldn’t mind listening more to.

Tobin Sprout – And So On: this is more “my” kind of nineties rock- less driven by guitar-walls, more focused on the voice and trying to make the melody appealing, never letting the instruments go beyond subtle. This I can appreciate much more, and see the value of, in conjunction with more rounded stuff from other decades. I like it… Not something I’d pick out from a shelf but still very good.

Dharma Bums – On The Run: I really like this, but I can’t help but wonder what they’d sound like without the country touch you mention they rarely use. As it is, it’s imaginatively arranged, the song is good and the guy has a great voice. Definitely one for further research.

Butthole Surfers – Pepper: okay, so I’m allowed to have a track I don’t like in this section, right? It’s very randomly scattered music, with just too much stuff crammed in, most of which doesn’t really work- it seems a bit studenty to me… The weirdo lyrics certainly add to this picture, as do the randomly spliced middle-eastern breakbeat bits.

Built to Spill – Untrustable/Part 2 (About someone else): my favourite of the Built to Spill tracks I think, although there are bits where it veers into *End is Forever* mixtape territory. Certainly the intro and the first verse… But when the instruments get too break loose in a totally unexpected, quite jazzy 12-bar blues… How can you not love it? Everything after the 3-minute mark or so is simply marvellous.

Semisonic – Down in Flames: yup, definitely mainstream, but nevertheless quite enjoyable, especially when the vocal harmony bit kicks in- good voice, decent lead guitar and a really good chorus.

Singers and Players – Snipers in the Streets: very 1983 for a late eighties song. It’s good… nicely stripped-down in an early-dancehall way, which would make sense since (yes I looked it up) there are a few of the always brilliant Roots Radics in here. I prefer younger stuff, but for old guys these aren’t half bad.

Hummingfish – Wistful Fall: great voice, not sure about the rest- it’s a bit too mellow for me. Good epic ending track though.

BigGameHunter
20-05-2003, 02:59:03
I have to admit it is a bit tamer than something I might have sent to the average acquaintance. We certainly seem to feel differently about some issues--what you may see as somewhat trite or hackneyed, I see as just really good playing by the rules. I like the avant-garde, but only when it's been around a few years, doesn't involve caterwauling, howling, grunting or overmuch whistling, and doesn't abysmally depress me. I like to be able to understand the lyrics as well.
I should have put some Bukowski spoken word on there--would have been a great way to flesh out your profile.
Good review!

Funkodrom
20-05-2003, 08:17:31
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Not this song. ;)

I like Nirvana 'cause they're very good at writing songs. Their infulence on lessers is a pity, but can't be helped.

Yeah, I actually think that in most genres there are a few bands that are so good that even people who don't like the rest of the genre can appreciate what they do.

Scabrous Birdseed
20-05-2003, 11:15:12
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
I should have put some Bukowski spoken word on there--would have been a great way to flesh out your profile.

No, no, no. I want straightforward pop, but I want straightforward pop that sounds fresh, people doing their own thing. That's why I end up listening to a lot of simple, youthful stuff from other cultures (Bhangra, Soca, etc.), going back through the years to find exciting historical genres, buying as much new music as I can, etc.

I do admit I'm more sensitive to the mid-nineties than anything else, for several reasons. Firstly more mainstream versions of these kinds of bands were constantly in the background throughout my teen years, and I never really liked them then, so when I finally started to find music from different eras/locales they became the negative end of the yardstick, so to speak. But more than that, I just don't like the era. I despise the indistinct production, I despise the crass attempts at cutesiness, I despise the irony. There's a gaping hole from about 1989 to 2000 where I've got a tiny amount of bands I like compared to before and after...

Funkodrom
20-05-2003, 11:17:00
There's a bit of a hole for me from '94 to about '99 but for different reasons.

Bob
20-05-2003, 11:17:25
Hahaha, you're getting old!

Scabrous Birdseed
20-05-2003, 11:20:45
Me? Naw, it's the other way around! Since I started listening to music in a serious way so late, I despise the output of the generation before me, while loving what comes out now. Only natural, I would think.

Bob
20-05-2003, 11:35:16
listening to music in a serious :lol:
Listen HARDER!!!

BigGameHunter
20-05-2003, 15:18:19
Who was it that said "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"?

BigGameHunter
20-05-2003, 15:20:37
I'd be interested in you getting a copy of that CD to the Reading/UK crowd and seeing what they thought.
Or, if needed, I'd be happy to send one on to my comrades across the pond...just PM me an addy. I'd prefer to send one to one member of any "hive societies" out there, for further distribution. But I'm willing to send to Laz, etc,...people who seem to live on goverment land or so forth.

The Shaker
20-05-2003, 15:20:53
A cigar advertiser?

BigGameHunter
20-05-2003, 15:21:59
No, they would have said "a cigar is a straight road to easy sex, fortune and fame".

The Shaker
20-05-2003, 15:22:49
well from the reviews I thought it sounded really good.
Give it to funko and make him copy it for us all....

Scabrous Birdseed
20-05-2003, 15:24:12
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
I'd be interested in you getting a copy of that CD to the Reading/UK crowd and seeing what they thought.

Right, which of you bastards wants this CD then?

The Shaker
20-05-2003, 15:25:49
maybe they were a trainee cigar advertiser?

The Shaker
20-05-2003, 15:26:34
me

Funkodrom
20-05-2003, 15:26:56
Yeah, send it to me please.

Funkodrom
20-05-2003, 15:30:11
Whoever, doesn't matter.

Scabrous Birdseed
20-05-2003, 15:45:28
I'll make a copy for myself and send you the original, so you get to see the luverly artwork. I hope you don't mind a few semen stains.

Funkodrom
20-05-2003, 15:46:24
Of course we mind, make sure there are many.

Bob
21-05-2003, 08:31:01
In that case I want one too

BigGameHunter
23-05-2003, 20:10:56
I swear there weren't any cum stains on that CD when it left here! Must have been the Post Office!
Errr...is this distributed, or do I need to cut some copies? I'm looking forward to Alex taking a big steaming look at it.

Scabrous Birdseed
24-05-2003, 13:27:51
Sorry, I'll send it on early next week... Then the Reading lot can send ti to the next person and so on.