PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen matrix reloaded yet?

Drekkus
16-05-2003, 10:55:15
well?

Going to see it saturday.

Funkodrom
16-05-2003, 10:59:14
No, not our here until Wednesday for some retarded reason.

maroule
16-05-2003, 11:33:45
like 'here' being England

Venom
16-05-2003, 12:11:36
I saw it last night. I thought it was quite good. Good fight scenes and it turns the first movie right on it's ear. There's bad stuff though, sometimes the CGI character are cheesy, a couple of drawn out boring scenes and if you don't listen to the 3 specifying parts you'll miss pretty much the whole plot of the movie and which point the movie won't be good. It even comes complete with an "Empire Strikes Back" type twist.

Drekkus
16-05-2003, 14:38:51
Hmm, sounds pretty much ok then. Going to watch part one on dvd tonight to refresh my memory.
One big bonus of subtitles is that you don't always have to listen to keep up with the storyline, you can read it as well. :D

Venom
16-05-2003, 14:52:15
Oh they're talking about some crazy shit. Especially the architect near the end. I'm not sure subtitles will help. I mean the overall point is easy enough to recognize, it's just hard to wrap your mind around exactly what it means. This movie definitely answers nearly nothing. Just a bunch of new questions.

Sean
16-05-2003, 15:31:31
As the level of hype increases, my desire to see this approaches zero. I ddin’t even get around to seeing X2, and I wanted to see that :(.

Funkodrom
16-05-2003, 15:40:08
X2 must still be on at the cinema? It only just came out last week.

Venom
16-05-2003, 15:41:42
Originally posted by Sean
As the level of hype increases, my desire to see this approaches zero. I ddin’t even get around to seeing X2, and I wanted to see that :(.

I was the same way. I was near ambivalence when I went last night. It is impressive. The machines rule, and are indeed in control.

Sean
16-05-2003, 15:46:23
That’s encouraging, Venom. (!!!)

Funkodrom, I swear it seems longer than that.

Funkodrom
16-05-2003, 15:49:35
I went to see it last bank holiday monday which was opening weekend. That was 10 days ago so I suppose technically it's 2 weeks.

paiktis22
16-05-2003, 16:40:43
Originally posted by Funkodrom
No, not our here until Wednesday for some retarded reason.

same here, glad to see we are not alone, cause we usually are.

Cumber
18-05-2003, 13:15:33
Well we didn't get it until Friday. Normally movies come out on Thursdays. Some crap about not letting us see it before the Americans.

I thought it was pretty damn good (most of it anyway), but that's very much contingent on how Revolution turns out, and if they try to answer the stuff they really should leave alone.

Drekkus
18-05-2003, 17:05:25
Went to see it yesterday. Indeed some amazing fighting scenes, and the highway chase scene is pretty cool too. But as Venom said, many new questions. Maybe if I see it another time some of these can already be answered.

Cumber, not trying to spoil stuff, but what stuff should be left alone?

jsorense
18-05-2003, 21:57:27
Oh, my god its Cumber!!!!!
Dude, where have you been?
Have you become the rare combination of a dragon and a lurker?
It is really good to see you, man!
Please come back and grace us with your wisdom and wit.
:beer:

Sir Penguin
25-05-2003, 06:07:51
Just saw it, and I thought it was pretty badass. The dialogue could have been better, and Morpheus' actor is better at being mysterious than at being loud and inspiring. But I did finally understand this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/fork-agent-smith.jpg

SP

Drekkus
26-05-2003, 10:09:54
Don't fork with me, dude.
Has that anything to do with multiplying?

maroule
26-05-2003, 10:13:15
for fork sake, of course it forking does, you forking forkwit

Sir Penguin
28-05-2003, 20:42:16
Fork() causes creation of a new process. The new process (child process)
is an exact copy of the calling process (parent process) except for the
following:
o The child process has a unique process ID.
o The child process has a different parent process ID (i.e., the
process ID of the parent process).
o The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors.
These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so
that, for instance, file pointers in file objects are shared
between the child and the parent, so that an lseek(2) on a de-
scriptor in the child process can affect a subsequent read or
write by the parent. This descriptor copying is also used by
the shell to establish standard input and output for newly cre-
ated processes as well as to set up pipes.
o The child processes resource utilizations are set to 0; see
setrlimit(2).

SP

Cumber
07-06-2003, 12:25:13
Ack, now I'm embarrassed I forgot to check back here for a while. :o Hi Jsorense. :)

Drekkus: I don't have any specific stuff I think they should leave alone, but there are plenty of stories that actually suffer by explaining mysteries. If you keep hyping a question over a series, eventually it becomes nigh on impossible to come up with an answer that's big enough to avoid being really unsatisfying. If you pull it off right, you can get a better story by leaving (some of the) questions unanswered, once you've gone past that point.

Scud Wallaby
08-06-2003, 21:43:31
Originally posted by Cumber
but there are plenty of stories that actually suffer by explaining mysteries.

I agree in the most part; I felt like this after watching The Second Renaissance Parts 1 & 2 in the Animatrix. These films were to explain what happened between the 'AI' bit and the end of the free humanity bit. I don't know if they were meant to be parodies, or the machines version of events or what, and whilst highly entertaining, pretty much ruined what was a perfectly good fantasy in my head about that part of the Matrix.

Or as Scud Wallaby is known to say...

Originally posted by Scud Wallaby
or something...

-Scud-

Scud Wallaby
08-06-2003, 21:44:36
Oh; and I thought Matrix Reloaded was great!

-Scud-

Funkodrom
09-06-2003, 08:30:04
Going to see it tomorrow I think.

Scud Wallaby
09-06-2003, 18:57:03
Well I hope you enjoy it - without giving the game away, my feeling about Reloaded is it seemed like a very expensive Pilot episode of a TV series spin off of a successful film.

It was great in its own right, but not necessary to enjoy the Matrix experience (hey).

-Scud-

Scud Wallaby
09-06-2003, 18:58:07
Oops - You meant Animatrix didn't you...

-Scud-

Funkodrom
10-06-2003, 08:04:35
No, reloaded. I've seen some of the Animatrix and that was great too.

Venom
10-06-2003, 12:30:16
I think you're spot on with your assesment Scud. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that Reloaded was made by an entirely different group of people than the first Matrix.

Funkodrom
11-06-2003, 11:30:38
Didn't go and see Reloaded yesterday due to tiredness. Maybe some other time.

Venom
11-06-2003, 12:51:41
You seem to have a burning desire to see this movie.

Funkodrom
11-06-2003, 13:49:21
Well Shakey said it was shit.

Venom
11-06-2003, 16:44:40
It's not shit, but it's not great either. It misses the mark on a lot of things and they definitely could have made a better movie but and I'm not really sure how to verbalize this, I think that the film comes across as arrogant and self important as does pretty much every character in the film. Makes it hard to like anything that goes on.

Funkodrom
11-06-2003, 18:10:59
I might just watch it on video or something.

Venom
11-06-2003, 18:27:54
You should probably wait until it hits a discount theater. If you guys got them over there. I doubt it will be out on video before Revolutions gets released, and it will probably be helpful to see Reloaded in case Revolutions regains the original Matrix form.

Funkodrom
12-06-2003, 08:07:30
Yeah... Maybe I'll go and see it at the weekend anyway.

The Shaker
12-06-2003, 10:17:15
*possibly little bits of SPOILER*

I found the fights scenes to be lengthy and lethargic,
the original concept to have been diluted,
the religious overtones to be naive and pointless,
the characters to be utterly without character.....especially keanu
they all seemed very keen on being a 'i'm really cool, with no emotions' sect.
(i mean these guys all live underground...yet they all have designer sunglasses...wtf?)

At one point in the 'god' scene that bloke says something about his emotional reaction
to one option and...wtf Kenu was just blank faced doing fuck all...as usual.
Smith became some sort of loser with less powers than anyone...i.e walk slowly forward, throw haymaker slowly, get hit, fall over...repeat. Christ that was tedious.

Anyone can now face an agent and quite happily pummel away with them..
contrast..'noone has ever faced an agent and lived' from the first.
That was part of the beauty of the original..the fear of these emotionless super beings.
This time they were just the bumbling twins...and they were supposed to have been upgraded.

That feckin dance scene should have been edited out straight away.
They nicked the loader vehicle from Aliens.

I remember when matrix came out you'd get people say 'ahhh but whaat IS the matrix'
coming out of this I was going 'ahhh but what a pile of pretentious wank'

Nice to see the new baddie was french.

maroule
12-06-2003, 10:24:06
Originally posted by The Shaker
Nice to see the new baddie was french.

you must be confused : a guy who gets a blow job in a restaurant toilet from a beauty, a complete stranger to him 2 minutes before, thanks to a chocolate cake is not a baddie, he's a hero

Venom
12-06-2003, 14:29:19
I agree with much of what shakey said, though I don't think it bothered me as much as it bothered him.

Debaser
12-06-2003, 15:36:36
I think he was just trying to use all the long words he knows in one post.

Venom
12-06-2003, 16:36:25
So he wants to be just like the architect.

King_Ghidra@home
12-06-2003, 18:27:24
here are the long words shakey used:

lethargic
religious
overtones
characters
underground
sunglasses
emotional
pretentious

that seems to sum his post up nicely, he could have saved himself the trouble of writing the rest

Sean
12-06-2003, 18:39:57
You missed emotionless.

BigGameHunter
12-06-2003, 19:54:28
Good to see all this...I hate Keanu so much I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, the talentless hack fuck!

Somewhere there's a good looking AND talented actor doing Crisco commercials because of that piece of shit.

Venom
12-06-2003, 20:20:30
And his name is Venom.

BigGameHunter
12-06-2003, 20:24:25
Eating Crisco out of the can whilst sitting in the dark, in your underwear with a netcam nearby doesn't constitute a "commercial" in any real sense, Venom.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Venom
13-06-2003, 00:13:38
It's a start dammit.

And who says I'm wearing underwear?

BigGameHunter
13-06-2003, 04:16:23
Ah, my mistake...the bad lighting made all that hair look solid.

Venom
13-06-2003, 11:44:46
Welcome to the jungle.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
14-06-2003, 02:01:52
I saw it a couple of weeks ago. I was known to remark that the fight scenes looked far too choreographed to be believable. I agree with The Shaker that the dance scene and related bedroom scene (if you can call a chiselled out pit a bedroom) should have been cut.

The movie was half a plot (the other half presumably being Revolutions) stretched into 2 hours and twenty minutes. If they'd cut an hour off the thing by removing the tedious scenes mentioned above (and some others) and put some more interesting ones in that helped the plot along,it would have been much better. But then, if I had any clue at all about these things, I'd be a producer.

The only thing I got from the movie at all, and that I haven't heard anyone else mention yet, was this: what they regard as the real world seems to be a higher level Matrix of some sort. It's too implausable (and machines taking over the world and using humans as batteries isn't?) that Neo gets real-life magic powers. Unless Neo is really Jesus back from the dead (again) which will just piss off Christians everywhere.

Venom
14-06-2003, 02:56:42
I get the feeling that there is no such thing as real. At all. It's all just a computer program.

BigGameHunter
14-06-2003, 02:58:01
We're all heads in a jar in your garage.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
14-06-2003, 17:33:30
I'm starting to think it might end up like The Thirteenth Floor did. I hope not.

Drekkus
15-06-2003, 09:15:49
I hope at the very end of the last film Neo wakes up and it's all been a bad dream! :lol: People will tear down the cinema's.

BigGameHunter
15-06-2003, 09:49:42
What if we're all just part of Keanu Reeve's dream? Not Neo, but the real life Keanu?
Would that suck or what?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
16-06-2003, 00:49:40
Surely he would have dreamed himself with better acting ability? And that scenario reminds me a little of the very strange and twisted Vurt by Jeff Noon.

King_Ghidra
16-06-2003, 07:47:00
the matrix piss take at the start of the mtv movie awards was pretty funny

Venom
16-06-2003, 12:39:28
Originally posted by Drekkus
I hope at the very end of the last film Neo wakes up and it's all been a bad dream! :lol: People will tear down the cinema's.

I bet there will be a lot of pissed off people at the end of the next one.

Rodgers
23-06-2003, 23:06:52
...there was one at the end of the second one - no one told me it was a fucking three-parter. In the final scene I'm getting all keyed up that this rather dull film was finally going to end and I could go home and go to bed and then - "to be concluded" - ARRRGGHHH!!! BOLLOCKS!!!!!

They should end the third film with Keanu switching off his video recorder and going to bed, as I wished I could have done. He takes the video out of the machine and puts it into the "Matrix 3" video box then turns to the camera and gives the V sign, with a big smug smile on his face.

LoD
01-07-2003, 23:54:40
Well, the movie was good in my opinion. Not great like the first part, nevertheless quite nice. The fight scenes were OK (I loved the comic value of the "Keanu blocks a broadsword with his bare hand, only loosing a drop of blod, after which the Merowinge says >>See, he's just human<<" scene :) ), the setting has been somewhat explored etc. I also found a very interesting philosophical dillema (SPOILER!) - when the Matrix architect talks about the subsequent versions of the system, he finally gets into the current Matrix version, telling about the anomally and so on. Then he calls the current version perfect. So, one thinks - how can perfection NEED imperfection to exist? And if, it's true, isn't true perfection something different, more of a harmonical coexistence of what we call "perfection" and "imperfrection"? The again, I may be overinterpreting ;)...
The thing that I didn't like - they've twisted the plots too much. Come on, six Zions? Give me a break!
Finally, about the "13th floor" scenario - I also hope that won't be the case. Think about it - Neo was engineered, so he is special in every way, including his "real" body.