PDA

View Full Version : Return to Yesteryear... Pirates! fans take note

Darkstar
15-05-2003, 21:38:58
Darkstar's related news:

* Infogrames changes its name to: Atari.
Reasons named: a) People had figured out that they were: French (there is a French boycott in parts of the US which is already showing up in French related companies bottom line). b) They'd pimped too many worthless and buggy games, and people were starting to confuse them with Sierra. The company feels that changing to a well loved, well enshrined name of the elder game playing generation's holy name will result in being able to resell everything again, before gamers wise up.

* Firaxis signs on with Atari.
Found at: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sidpirates/news_6028109.html
Firaxis has signed a serious long term deal to have all their old Sid Meiers games, most notably Pirates!, to be distributed and sold through Atari. Additionally, all old titles will be updated and released for the new XP platform (and perhaps current consoles), while future Civ and SMAC titles will also be released. Civ3 Expansion: Give Us More Of Your Money is already in the works, but Firaxis is looking for a better working title for the project. SMAC2 and Pirates2 is also in the works.

The Mad Monk
16-05-2003, 06:31:56
Burn the heretics!

maroule
16-05-2003, 07:25:40
Originally posted by Darkstar
Darkstar's related news:

* Infogrames changes its name to: Atari.
Reasons named: a) People had figured out that they were: French (there is a French boycott in parts of the US which is already showing up in French related companies bottom line). b) They'd pimped too many worthless and buggy games, and people were starting to confuse them with Sierra. The company feels that changing to a well loved, well enshrined name of the elder game playing generation's holy name will result in being able to resell everything again, before gamers wise up.

:p ah mais non, anozer evil French plot, this is dégoutant! If french copanies start to act like US ones, where is the world going to...

As a side note, I remember Atari mainly for having pimped too many worthless and buggy games (in the 80s', so I bought a Coleco instead), so that won't work with me :lol:

The Mad Monk
16-05-2003, 07:37:05
START WITH THAT ONE!

maroule
16-05-2003, 08:27:12
ah, the anglo saxon pigs burnt Joan of Ark, but only to make her a saint...

The Mad Monk
16-05-2003, 08:49:35
I'm protestant! :bash:

maroule
16-05-2003, 09:03:58
we're very protestant here too

http://www.tibet-info.net/actions/greve/gif/manif2_2604.jpg

Funkodrom
16-05-2003, 09:27:58
Pirates! was great.

maroule
16-05-2003, 09:39:22
indeed
they're already imitating the concept on a forthcoming game on the xbox

Funkodrom
16-05-2003, 09:41:03
Hmmm... that would probably work quite well on a console.

The Mad Monk
16-05-2003, 10:40:23
Are the French in that photo revolting?

Funkodrom
16-05-2003, 10:53:09
No, you can tell because they aren't burning any sheep alive.

maroule
16-05-2003, 11:32:11
they are protesting (translated from 'protestant' in French, hence my pun), actually against the chinese occupation of tibet, but any excuse will do, really

I agree that burning sheeps is a real disgrace

what you really want to do is slowly roast them, outdoor, mechoui style

MDA
16-05-2003, 13:51:24
cut em up, cook 'em, and make gyros :)

King_Ghidra
16-05-2003, 15:50:35
Pirates! was a magnificent game. Truly great.

Darkstar
16-05-2003, 19:52:17
Boy, Maroule, you don't believe in letting a joke stay on the under cooked side, do you?

I find it interesting that Firaxis and Atari are already announcing they are doing Pirates, most of Sid Meier's other titles, and several Civ products. Pirates is talked about in the same terms as the Bib of Baby Jesus, but after Sid and the gang's showing lately, I'm surprised they are bandying about how they are out to gouge out even more money from the Civ world. That was the same fan base that roasted them for splitting out MP into a paid for patch, after all.

I expect the new Pirates2 will be a big disappoint. After all, Pirates! as a game wasn't that great. Several sucky bits to it. Most people have *forgotten* the sucky bits, and just remembered the fun stuff. It's like your first good girlfriend, who, over time, has turned into the perfect woman in your memories. The truth isn't quite that nice, you know?

MDA
16-05-2003, 20:54:06
I have good memories of both C64 and Apple "Taipan"

Both trading games, but you could board ships on C64. The apple version was mostly hauling as much opium and having as many cannons as possible.

King_Ghidra
19-05-2003, 12:56:59
After all, Pirates! as a game wasn't that great. Several sucky bits to it. Most people have *forgotten* the sucky bits, and just remembered the fun stuff. It's like your first good girlfriend, who, over time, has turned into the perfect woman in your memories. The truth isn't quite that nice, you know?

Totally disagree. Don't you tell me what i do and don't remember.

And as far as your simile goes, no one is perfect, but that doesn't mean they can't be great. If Pirates! did have any flaws they were more than compensated for by other areas of the game. That is, unless my memory of all the many hours i had enjoying the game is the fallacy you think it is.

Funkodrom
19-05-2003, 13:02:15
Yeah, there were some annoying things but it was still an excellent game. Great combination of simplicity and depth.

None of the individual elements was spectacular, the swordfights and sea battles weren't amazing, but the combination of all the different aspects made for an excellent game and the fact that you could choose what kind of game you wanted to play, following one or many of the different types of mission in the game. Get married, find your family, fight for one of the countries and build your rank, play as a trader etc. it was the first game I remember that gave you that illusion of freedom.

King_Ghidra
19-05-2003, 13:14:12
Totally agree. The only bits that i remember being annoying were when your boat hit reefs, or when the wind wouldn't blow in the direction you wanted it to. But that's a pirate's life :D

Funkodrom
19-05-2003, 13:22:15
Yeah, exactly. :D

Darkstar
20-05-2003, 07:23:44
KG, what things that are great in your memory are really as good as you remember? Time softens all memories. Break out your Pirates and play it again. Go ahead. Might be better then you remember, after all.

From what you say, it wasn't a great game because it was a great game. It was a great game because it was the first of its type you played. Doesn't invalidate your fun. Just pointing out what you said.

Other then that, I do hope Pirates 2 is good. Shouldn't have too long a wait to find out at this point. I just don't think that the first Buccaneers will get much a charge out of Pirates 2.

Funkodrom
20-05-2003, 08:23:38
It was the first of it's type I played and it's still the only one I've played (although I haven't played as many games as most posters here).

I have played pirates more recently on an emulator. The main thing I remember is how shit the graphics were. But I think I had it on the Amiga and I was playing the C64 version on the emulator.

maroule
20-05-2003, 10:09:43
it's a personal thing, not necessarily about the distorting effect of memory
some game are better to you than they are to the rest IF they capture your imagination
Pirates! was such a game. I can see why someone could relate to it in a personal way (you rise through the ranks, run the seas, etc.). Objectively better games (and better liked by the crowd) can be huge disapointments for you if they fail to do that. Black&White was such a game for me.

King_Ghidra
20-05-2003, 10:47:43
KG, what things that are great in your memory are really as good as you remember? Time softens all memories. Break out your Pirates and play it again. Go ahead. Might be better then you remember, after all.

My point was that although the memory naturally tends towards the rose tinted, unless you're a fool you always acknowledge in your own mind that there were bad things too.

You cite girls as an example. Well i have some nice memories of ex gf's, girls i never got it on with and wish i had, etc. but they're all bitterswet memories. I don't idolise anyone, i always remember the bad times as well as the good. The funny thing is, it's the opposite of what you say - whenever I actually meet those girls, the nice feelings always come back and i forget the bad things, generally because my dick takes control. But it's actually in my mind that i realise it wasn't all good.

So from that perspective memory is not as deceptive as you think. But how all that relates to Pirates! i don't know :lol:

Basically as funko said, i found the freedom and the number of different things to do in the game the greatest and most exciting feature. Yes, this was the first game to offer such freedom but i think it still stands out in this way. Someone cited black & white, great example of a game that promised a lot of freedom and failed to deliver. Most modern games still run the player on rails. Pirates! remains an example of how good games can be when they give the player freedom

Bob
20-05-2003, 11:56:20
I think Pirates! is still number one of my personal hall of fame. There were some points that were new to me at that point. It was like being in a movie, it was a Pirate simulator, not only a game. I like the mix between the genres, the sword fights, the tactical overland battles, the trading part etc. There were some annoying parts (Overland marches! Sailing against the wind.)
But overall was a great idea. The "divide the plunder" concep was quite good. I also like that you have to deceide when to end the game.
But I think it Pirates 2! will not work. If it's like Pirates it will be dull compared to today's standards, and if it's different it's not Pirates! The building part sucks, it's too german (accountant game). The sea battles look quite nice, but in Pirates they were more exciting.

I played this one
http://www.ascaron.com/gb/gb_portroyale/gb_portroyale_links.html
and it cought a little of the pirate's look and feel. The economy is more complex, but once you reached a certain point the management of your fleets is annoying.

Funkodrom
20-05-2003, 12:11:32
Yes, I think I agree with that.

Bob
20-05-2003, 14:42:38
With what do you agree exactly?

Funkodrom
20-05-2003, 14:44:56
That.

Bob
20-05-2003, 14:46:47
Oh that.

Darkstar
21-05-2003, 06:01:26
...tap tap tap...

Thanks Bob. That's what I think will tend to happen to the existing Pirates! fans. Combined with Firaxis not able to make a sequel as fun as the original, and that leads me to be very pessimestic about the eventual Pirates2 game. However, I hope I'm wrong.

Bob
21-05-2003, 08:49:29
I messed up the previous post ...
Yeah, I think it will be extremely difficult to create a new "Pirates!". It will show if Sid is really the Wunderkind (or Wundergrandfather) they try to tell us.
Well, he is not. The only thing he does is +1. Civ IV :rolleyes: Poly will explode in joy. Still waiting for Colonization 2 ...
Ah, I forgot "Sim Golf". That wasn't too bad BTW if you want a game like Theme Park (play it with your kids or while you watch TV)

Bob
21-05-2003, 08:52:22
But I really hope they go away from those genre/clone games and o something with an action part and an tactical part. I miss the mixture

Bob
21-05-2003, 08:53:00
Maybe some little RPG as well (skill points etc)

Venom
21-05-2003, 13:19:28
God damn devil bastards at Sierra.

Darkstar
22-05-2003, 23:48:11
Well, they've announced they are looking for Beta Testers for the Latest Civ3 Expansion: Stolen Mods from the Web, or whatever they are going to call it... Oh yeah, Emperors. That's the title.

Venom
22-05-2003, 23:52:36
Why create new products when you've got stupid followers to do it for you.

Resource Consumer
28-05-2003, 14:06:55
May I just appear here to say "Sid is busted, everyone sees through him now".

Thanks.

Darkstar
28-05-2003, 22:42:01
RC, I've been wondering what you'd have to say about this. ;)

Resource Consumer
29-05-2003, 13:57:52
"Wondering"? I thought you would have guessed.:)

Darkstar
29-05-2003, 21:37:43
Well, I had, but you never know when a senior moment will strike. (Quit hitting me OW42, or I'm going to hang you up by your depends off a door hook and leave you there for the day!)