PDA

View Full Version : SCO decides to sue all Linux users

Darkstar
15-05-2003, 21:19:13
Just for you Linux snobs...

SCO has decided that it will win its case against IBM. Especially since they have IBM engineers documented stating that they just lifted the UNIX AIX source code and copied it into Linux, and then checked it, with the blessing of their management. Anyways, SCO is now broadening it's lawsuit, and looking for license and damage and punitive fees from EVERYONE that is using Linux. They've just sent out "cease and desist using Linux or pay us big bucks" to the Global 2000 listing (that includes the Fortune 500 listing). Several companies now have already paid SCO in return for them not pursuing them further.

Whopsie! You realize, this is exactly one of the reasons Microsoft preaches Open Source is the anti-christ's digital jism. People taking closed source material, adding it into open source, and sending it on.

If you run Linux or are interested in it, best tune into the Caldera/SCO versus IBM lawsuit, and SCO's general 'Pay us or break out your lawyers and then pay us' tune.

Sir Penguin
15-05-2003, 21:29:53
Well, I'm safe. I don't have any lawyers. :coolgrin:

SP

Darkstar
15-05-2003, 21:41:45
So you will be paying SCO then, SP? ;)

Sir Penguin
15-05-2003, 22:03:32
I have a box of miscellaneous junk they can have. :)

SP

Deacon
15-05-2003, 22:08:27
Looks like I'd better change the User Agent string in my browser. Or would that be perjury? :)

If some bonehead did a New York Times and cut and pasted AT&T's code right into Linux, even AFTER the big legal battle over BSD, I'm gonna be pissed.

Darkstar
15-05-2003, 22:24:40
A lot of boneheads have done exactly that, according to SCO. As documented, they say, multiple times by said bone heads working for IBM on IBM's own public web site. SCO says that looking around, they've found similar admittance from OTHER companies that work with both the UNIX source code as well as Linux source code.

Should prove interesting, one way or the other, Deacon.

Sir Penguin
16-05-2003, 00:13:48
Originally posted by Deacon
Looks like I'd better change the User Agent string in my browser. Or would that be perjury? :)

I think that's probably concealing the source of a transmission or something.

Darkstar: Do you know if these plagiarisms actually made it into the official kernel?

SP

Darkstar
16-05-2003, 03:34:06
SP, I'm just quoting back what SCO *says*. They haven't released their "evidence" yet. They'll do that in a closed court session. They will want to protect their source code from further theft.

Like I said, keep an eye on the case itself. IBM has shut up about it and it seems to me they've started to worry. If you hear IBM has settled the case then you know SCO has them dead to rights.

Deacon
16-05-2003, 05:55:23
http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-1001609.html

Most of the juicy stuff is under wraps. I'm not sure what SCO is going to claim. Maybe they'll claim that IBM "laundered" AT&T code by first using it in AIX under license and then copying the encumbered AIX code to Linux years later. I'm not sure what areas of Linux would require help from something developed in the 1980s, but anything's possible.

Darkstar
16-05-2003, 19:43:57
Deacon, you'd be surprised. It isn't that people are trying to create the best darned OS ever. Linux is about making a free version of UNIX after all.

Keep in mind that even the newest OSes have elements of UNIX to them. If you want to interact with a UNIX machine on a network, you are going to have to copy/emulate it's communication protocal. To do that, many companies have chosen to just copy and then port parts of UNIX. The recent RPC vulnerabilities demonstrate that.

Professional software developers are notorious for 'Don't re-invent the wheel!'. Meaning: Copy code that you know works, and go on to stuff you don't already have code for.

It is extremely pausible. But we will have to wait to see what the court decides on the matter to find out if what SCO claims is 'legally' true. And again, I'd give good odds that IBM is going to eventually settle the matter out of court, to escape legal retribution from others... Just my opinion today. Ask me in a month, and it will probably be different.

Darkstar
20-05-2003, 07:00:44
On a related note...

Microsoft has licensed UNIX from SCO Group.

This could be to make sure they stay out of trouble for any of their UNIX protocols, libraries, etc.

This could be to make sure they have enough money to pursue IBM (and others) in court.

This could be because they are getting ready to make a Microsoft Unix. :D Ok, just kidding.

Sir Penguin
20-05-2003, 08:08:10
This could be the old boys' club of proprietary licensing backing each other up, in the hope that open source is exiled from use for being too lawsuit prone. :)

SP

Sir Penguin
31-05-2003, 07:10:06
Novell (who actually own the UNIX copyright) respond:

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=174096756&m=7870959765

SP

Darkstar
31-05-2003, 09:10:44
Looks like it will take a COURT to settle that matter. As Novell's contract where they sell off the UNIX Intellectual property does state they sold of the UNIX Copyright while *keeping* the UNIX Copyright.

Pretty neat trick. Isn't that something Clinton was known to do? Sell off something while still keeping ownership of it?

AT&T claims to still own the UNIX Copyright as well, so this could get very cute in court.

Deacon
01-06-2003, 10:48:34
I've heard that UNIX isn't dead, but it's undead.